View Full Version : Feats specific to a spell point system

Madwand99
2011-08-19, 10:08 AM
Our campaign has (optional) use of the spell point system (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/spellPoints.htm):

If you use this variant, consider adding other game elements that influence (or are influenced by) spell points. These might include magic items that grant (or cost) spell points, feats that grant bonus spell points (or make certain spells cost fewer spell points to cast), special abilities that drain spell points from casters, and so forth.

I am curious if anyone has ever implemented the quoted part, or come up with feats that interact with the spell point system? I'm looking for house rules for interacting with the existing SRD spell point system, collections of feats, special abilities, etc, or ideas for adapting feats from similar systems (such as psionic items, feats, etc.) for use in our campaign. Any thoughts? I haven't found much in my search so far.

fryplink
2011-08-19, 10:20 AM
I've played spell point variant before, and it can get OP really quickly and without meaning to. That said, just change pearls of power to give spell points equal to the spell slot value of the wizard spell they replace. (assuming i'm remembering spell point varient correctly) say if it costs 10 points to cast 1st level spells, then a level 1 slot granted by an item would give 10 spell points.

Psyren
2011-08-19, 10:25 AM
Psionics seems a good place to rob leverage such feats/items from. A "Metapower"-esque feat that reduces your point costs for a specific metamagic/spell combination, and a torc-esque item are good places to start.

The Glyphstone
2011-08-19, 10:30 AM
The Spells-to-Power Erudite is basically "Spell Points: The Class".
StP Erudite is a phenomenally broken class (well, one interpretation of its awfully written RAW).
Draw your own conclusions.

But yeah, Psyren has it right - just loot the psionics system for feats and items that modify power points.

fryplink
2011-08-19, 10:50 AM
Psionics seems a good place to rob leverage such feats/items from. A "Metapower"-esque feat that reduces your point costs for a specific metamagic/spell combination, and a torc-esque item are good places to start.

Just remember that spell points variant and psionics are nearly the same, not exactly the same.

Feat:

Extra Casting
When a spell point variant spellcaster gains a new spell level, he gain a number of spell points based on that level.

lvl 1 - 1 point
lvl 2 - 4 points
lvl 3 - 9 points
lvl 4 - 16 points
lvl 5 -25 points
lvl 6 - 36 points
lvl 7 - 49 points
lvl 8 - 64 points
lvl 9 - 81 points

If my math is correct, it grants spell casters the ability to cast 1 additional spell of each level a day, or, because it's spell points varient, and number of extra spells of equal value.

Chess435
2011-08-19, 12:30 PM
Just remember that spell points variant and psionics are nearly the same, not exactly the same.

Feat:

Extra Casting
When a spell point variant spellcaster gains a new spell level, he gain a number of spell points based on that level.

lvl 1 - 1 point
lvl 2 - 4 points
lvl 3 - 9 points
lvl 4 - 16 points
lvl 5 -25 points
lvl 6 - 36 points
lvl 7 - 49 points
lvl 8 - 64 points
lvl 9 - 81 points

If my math is correct, it grants spell casters the ability to cast 1 additional spell of each level a day, or, because it's spell points varient, and number of extra spells of equal value.

You're doing it wrong. The spell point cost of the spells are as follows:
1st - 1
2nd - 3
3rd - 5
4th - 7
5th - 9
6th - 11
7th - 13
8th - 15
9th - 17

Adamantrue
2011-08-19, 12:44 PM
I just posted this HERE (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=211942):
Enhanced Metamagic [General]
You have a talent using metamagic to enhance your spells.
Prerequisites: Any metamagic feat
Benefit: Choose a metamagic feat you know. You can apply that metamagic feat to any of your spells, even if it increases the effective level of the spell above the maximum spell level you can cast. You must have enough spellpoints available to pay this increased cost (spells increased above 9th-level increase in cost by 3 spellpoints per additional spell level).
Special: You can gain this feat multiple times. Each time you take this feat, it applies to a new metamagic feat.
A wizard can select Enhanced Metamagic as a bonus feat.

fryplink
2011-08-19, 01:58 PM
You're doing it wrong. The spell point cost of the spells are as follows:
1st - 1
2nd - 3
3rd - 5
4th - 7
5th - 9
6th - 11
7th - 13
8th - 15
9th - 17

I did it exactly as I intended to do it. Each value (assuming my math is correct) would give you one additional "slot" at every level you can cast. When you get a new level, you'd get a new "slot" (without stripping you of old ones). It seemed so simple to replicate "extra slot" that I wanted to do something with a different spin.