PDA

View Full Version : Cost for hiring assassins

Sir_Chivalry
2011-08-19, 11:16 AM
Is it printed in any book? What's a good guideline for pricing if not?

Ranos
2011-08-19, 11:20 AM
One favor.
To be collected at a later time.

SowZ
2011-08-19, 11:43 AM
I would charge... (CR of target and his guards=x) X Squaredx500 gold. Of course, I would try not to engage them, but these are the risks I pay for. I would take care of my own expenses.

Cruiser1
2011-08-19, 12:33 PM
Is it printed in any book? What's a good guideline for pricing if not?The Garrote assassination organization (Epic Level Handbook) charges (Encounter Level) x (EL + 4) x 1000 gold to take out a target. For example, 5K to take out a 1st level character, or 480K for a 20th level.

big teej
2011-08-19, 12:36 PM
are you looking to hire Assasins (as per the PrC) or assassins as in random thugs you've payed to do somebody harm?

the latter, I would suggest using the rules for hirelings or mercenaries (mercenary costs are within the Arms and Equipment Guide)

if you were hiring an Assassin PrC, I would likely make it Target hit die x 1000 gp + expenses*

*expenses may or may not include other people he had to kill, but I would likely allow the player to bargain.

for instance, if the assassin offered "5,000 gp + expenses" and the player said "okay fine"

he'd likely get a bill that looked sorta like this
Target Cost: 5,000 gp
Finder's Fee: -cost of a locate person spell-
travel fee: -cost of getting from current location to target location-
roaming fee: -1 gp cost for every mile/step outside comfort zone-
operations fee: - cost of a masterwork disugise kit-
equipment fee: - cost of poision(s) used-
assistant's expenses: - cost of hirelings, mercenaries, distractions used -

SowZ
2011-08-19, 12:38 PM
are you looking to hire Assasins (as per the PrC) or assassins as in random thugs you've payed to do somebody harm?

the latter, I would suggest using the rules for hirelings or mercenaries (mercenary costs are within the Arms and Equipment Guide)

if you were hiring an Assassin PrC, I would likely make it Target hit die x 1000 gp + expenses*

*expenses may or may not include other people he had to kill, but I would likely allow the player to bargain.

for instance, if the assassin offered "5,000 gp + expenses" and the player said "okay fine"

he'd likely get a bill that looked sorta like this
Target Cost: 5,000 gp
Finder's Fee: -cost of a locate person spell-
travel fee: -cost of getting from current location to target location-
roaming fee: -1 gp cost for every mile/step outside comfort zone-
operations fee: - cost of a masterwork disugise kit-
equipment fee: - cost of poision(s) used-
assistant's expenses: - cost of hirelings, mercenaries, distractions used -

There should be some sort of exponential growth, though. For example, taking out a tenth level character is heads and shoulders above taking out ten first levels in difficulty.

big teej
2011-08-19, 12:56 PM
There should be some sort of exponential growth, though. For example, taking out a tenth level character is heads and shoulders above taking out ten first levels in difficulty.

true....

oooh how about
no wait.... that's way to much....

how about....

HD X 1,000 GP + -fraction- of WBL of the targets hit die

SowZ
2011-08-19, 12:59 PM
true....

oooh how about
no wait.... that's way to much....

how about....

HD X 1,000 GP + -fraction- of WBL of the targets hit die

You could. I think it would be simpler to just do CR Squared times 1000 or 500 or something, though. Similar to how slave prices are done.

big teej
2011-08-19, 01:13 PM
You could. I think it would be simpler to just do CR Squared times 1000 or 500or something, though. Similar to how slave prices are done.

what book are slave prices out of?

Gorfang113
2011-08-19, 04:17 PM
what book are slave prices out of?

Lords of Madness, under the neogi.

big teej
2011-08-19, 06:23 PM
Lords of Madness, under the neogi.

ah, don't have that yet. :smalltongue:

Tibbaerrohwen
2011-10-12, 08:32 AM
The Garrote assassination organization (Epic Level Handbook) charges (Encounter Level) x (EL + 4) x 1000 gold to take out a target. For example, 5K to take out a 1st level character, or 480K for a 20th level.

I'd never even heard of that before. Nifty. I'll have to keep that in mind.

snip

I would suggest using the rules for hirelings or mercenaries (mercenary costs are within the Arms and Equipment Guide) [...]

That would be my suggestion. It's cheap, easy, and, if you're a PC, they are disposable.

If you aren't looking at this from a PC perspective and from a DM perspective, the cost of an assassin, or group of assassins, is listed in the DM under allocated treasure. With a few good NPC lies, or truths for that matter, the players will happily do the dirty work. It laves several hooks open for the future too (getting back at the person who sent them on the mission, disgruntled family seeking vengeance on the party, etc.).

Havelock
2011-10-12, 01:18 PM
I'd base it off EL-appropriate treasure value, probably above average.