PDA

View Full Version : GITP Community Monster Class Competition I: Voting Thread

Stycotl
2011-08-19, 12:59 PM
GITP Community Monster Class Competition I
Blowin' in the Wind/Fog/Acid Rain/Pyroclastic Flow/Etc... (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11378379#post11378379)

Voting Thread

http://i54.tinypic.com/2cmna03.jpg

The answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind,
The answer is blowin' in the wind.
––Bob Dylan

You will vote for two things on this thread, the monster class from last month's competion that you think is the best, and a theme for the next contest. The deadline for this voting thread will (tentatively) be the end of this month.

Rules

1) First, you will vote for one monster class entry that you think is the best.

Contest Entries
Pyroclastic Dragon by Soft Serve (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11459095&postcount=5)
Winter Wolf by Togath (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11495892&postcount=6)

If you are unsure how to judge a monster class, following these guidelines:

Originality - The monster class should be unique. It should stand out from the rest, as a class.
Playability - The monster should allow for fluid, engaging, amusing and uninterrupted play at the table.
Balance - The monster should be balanced enough that it's not going to hold the group back or dominate everything without even trying, both overall and at a given stage in its development.
Elegance - The page which details the monster for the player should look good and be easy to understand.
Flavor - Last but certainly not least, we want to preserve the flavor and the atmosphere of the monster the monster class is based off of.

Feel free to explain your vote, even using the guidelines as an explanation if you want. You can vote for your own monster class creation if you truly feel that it is the best entry. In the case of a tie, I will vote on the disputed themes.

2) Second, you will vote for the theme of the upcoming contest. I am offering three suggestions that can be voted on. But if you wish, you can suggest a different theme that others can vote on.

Whichever theme has the most votes by the end of the month will be used for next month's contest. In the case of a tie, I will vote on the disputed themes.

*Suggested Themes:

1) The Thing That Should Not Be (any aberration type)
2) Empire State of Mind (any urban creature)
3) Welcome To My Nightmare (any creature that uses illusions)

*Notice that I went from a fairly general theme, to a more specific theme.

137beth
2011-08-19, 01:13 PM
1. Winter Wolf

2. Empire State of Mind, we need more urban monsters.

Stycotl
2011-08-23, 05:38 PM
i'm closing voting next wednesday, the 31st.

Eledragon
2011-08-23, 05:52 PM
1.Pyroclastic Dragon
2. That Which Should Not Be

Owrtho
2011-08-23, 05:55 PM
Well, I'd forgotten about this contest. I'd been meaning to make a vote. Anyway, let's see. The Pyroclastic Dragon looks nice, and seems to have had a bit of work put into it. On the other hand, the Winter Wolf also seems nice, and has something of a simple and compact vibe. A side note to Togath though, the Skill Boosts on the table would look better if it listed the actual boost granted in parentheses rather than +1, +2, +3.

As it is, I'll vote Winter Wolf.

For the next contest, I'll vote 3) Welcome To My Nightmare. More illusion based things is always nice.

Owrtho

Togath
2011-08-23, 06:00 PM
Missed the skill table error, it should be fixed now

TravelLog
2011-08-23, 06:07 PM
1. Pyroclastic Dragon

2. Welcome to My Nightmares

I would, however, also like to suggest a possible alternative: That Which Once Was Beautiful which would center around decayed/defiled/etc. versions of artful/good/beautiful/pure/etc. creatures.

Mystic Muse
2011-08-23, 11:08 PM
That which should not be.

I have the feeling voting for my own class is frowned upon.:smalltongue:

EDIT: Since it's allowed, I'm voting for the Pyroclastic Dragon.

Stycotl
2011-08-24, 12:08 PM
That which should not be.

I have the feeling voting for my own class is frowned upon.:smalltongue:

nope. i haven't specified either way about that, and vorpal always allowed it. vote for which one you think is honestly best.

EDIT: in fact, i'll go edit that into the rules. and by the way, it is nice to see people voting––thanks!

Stycotl
2011-09-03, 12:04 PM
Ok, I'm running a little late, but we have a winner of last month's (or the month before...) contest.

soft serve, congrats on your winning entry, the pyroclastic dragon. you said earlier that you might not want the illustration of the winning monster, but that was if you ran unopposed if i remember right. do you want one?

we had a tie for this month's contest theme, so i am picking the winner between the two, and i will go with the thing that should not be (any aberration type) in order to widen the potential pool of monster classes.

and here is the new contest thread. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=11774708#post11774708)

Mystic Muse
2011-09-03, 02:07 PM
Since I did win fairly (Though, not quite the way I would have liked) I would like the picture.

EDIT: I have a specific idea of what I would like for it to look like. Can you give me a day or two while I attempt to find the picture?

Stycotl
2011-09-10, 01:15 AM
Since I did win fairly (Though, not quite the way I would have liked) I would like the picture.

EDIT: I have a specific idea of what I would like for it to look like. Can you give me a day or two while I attempt to find the picture?

yeah, just PM me with a link, or email it to me. i'll PM you my email address here in a sec.