PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Reloading a musket as Free Action

Frosty
2011-08-19, 01:17 PM
Using the rules in Ultimate Combat, how does one reload a musket as a free action? Taking the Musket Master archetype and having the Rapid Reload feat trims the reload time to a Move action. If I'm reading the Lightning Reload deed correct (please correct me if I'm wrong), at 11th level I can reload my musket as a free action as many times as I want per turn (so I can make use of feats like Rapid Shot and such), but that's 11th level. Is there any way to do it sooner?

Lightning Reload (Ex): At 11th level, as long as the
gunslinger has at least 1 grit point, she can reload a single
barrel of a one-handed or two-handed firearm as a swift
action once per round. If she has the Rapid Reload feat or
is using an alchemical cartridge (or both), she can reload
a single barrel of the weapon as a free action each round
instead.

9mm
2011-08-19, 01:30 PM
by stacking reload reductions so rapid makes it a standard, archtype makes it move (by treating it as a one-handed weapon, so technically you stop here as rapid is now making it free), alchemical rounds make it free. outside of using the Musket Master archtype I'm not seeing any real way to make it all the way to free, which is probably why the Deadshot deed exists

yes the gun reload rules are aweful, 10:1 odds they had totally forgotten that slings exist when re-writing rapid reload because simple rules make their heads hurt.

Frosty
2011-08-19, 03:02 PM
Thanks. On another note, can someone clarify for my whether or not gunslingers can take advantage of the Deadly Aim feat at all? It's ranged power attack, but the bonus damage does not apply to (ranged) touch attacks. Gunslingers can make their gun attacks as ranged touch attacks.

Starbuck_II
2011-08-19, 03:03 PM
Thanks. On another note, can someone clarify for my whether or not gunslingers can take advantage of the Deadly Aim feat at all? It's ranged power attack, but the bonus damage does not apply to (ranged) touch attacks. Gunslingers can make their gun attacks as ranged touch attacks.

Yes, because it attacks touch attack not is a touch attack. Subtle difference.

Frosty
2011-08-19, 03:22 PM
Yes, because it attacks touch attack not is a touch attack. Subtle difference.
You mean that it's a regular attack that bypasses Armor, Shield, and Natural Armor bonuses, but it's not really a touch attack, so Deadly Shot applies? This is SWEET.

Starbuck_II
2011-08-19, 03:33 PM
You mean that it's a regular attack that bypasses Armor, Shield, and Natural Armor bonuses, but it's not really a touch attack, so Deadly Shot applies? This is SWEET.

But only in first range increment so not that far (unless you are using a rifle which is pretty good distance).

Frosty
2011-08-19, 04:16 PM
But only in first range increment so not that far (unless you are using a rifle which is pretty good distance).
Using a Musket, I can do it within 40ft. Since I want to take advantage of Point Blank SHot anyways, I'd want to be within 30 ft, so it's really ot a problem.