PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Cleric Optimizing

goose1009
2011-08-19, 01:39 PM
Hey guys, ive been a very very long time reader, but just recently started browsing the forums. I see there are alot of good players and even better builders here so figured I would ask this here.

I have my first game where im the player in a very long time. I'm playing a Cleric of Madrial with Sun and Glory domains(we're in the Shattered Lands). Hes designed to be an undead killer, but hes kinda turning into a channel energy bot. I'm having a blast playing him, but he is horribly unoptomized, pretty much every feat i took is based off of my channel energy which is rapidly falling behind in terms of usefulness. Only problem is, the GM is kind of a super-optimizer when it comes to the enemies so ive found myself trying to be the parties counter. Im really the only one with enough DnD experience to even come close to pulling it off, but even im falling a little bit behind on it.

Im looking for any tips/tricks/advice on what really makes a Cleric all powerful. I usually keep the typical spells memorized that would be useful on a daily basis and sometimes load up something odd ball just in case it comes up.

I would also be open to playinga new character if it could still fill the same role in the group, but with the damage my DM likes to dish out, it almost seems like Channel energy is a must.

I'm pretty sure my DM will allow me to rebuild my character if i ask nice enough, so any advice would be more than appreciated.

Thank you all for your time.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-19, 01:47 PM
Extended Divine Power + Bear's Endurance + shield bashing feats and Throw Anything = Captain America! So that's if you want to be a melee powerhouse. Add Righteous Might to become Captain America + Hulk. You can ditch the shield bashing in favor of two-handed weapon if you want.

Gnaeus
2011-08-19, 02:09 PM
Level and books allowed please. Stats and build would also be helpful.

Edit: Oh, and what else is in your party. thats important also.

WildPyre
2011-08-19, 02:21 PM
Extended Divine Power + Bear's Endurance + shield bashing feats and Throw Anything = Captain America! So that's if you want to be a melee powerhouse. Add Righteous Might to become Captain America + Hulk. You can ditch the shield bashing in favor of two-handed weapon if you want.

You could forgo Throw Anything and take Exotic Weapon Proficiency Throwing Shield, and enchant that sucker with returning.

goose1009
2011-08-19, 03:31 PM
Level and books allowed please. Stats and build would also be helpful.

Edit: Oh, and what else is in your party. thats important also.

Sorry, We are level 10 and we have access to any book with nothing officially banned, but i would shy away from DMM as a staple of my character if possible. My GM gave me a very nice spear, but ive never been the melee type, kinda wish he had given me something else, its over half of my wealth. I am trying to stick primarily with Pathfinder books but im open to anything.

We have a Dwarf Paladin, a Catfolk Shugenga, a human rogue (currently my cohort from leadership), and a dwarf ranger (bow mainly) and we will be adding in an Arcane Archer soon.

Current stats
S: 12
D: 14
C: 14
I: 10
W: 20/24 w/item and +2 book
Ch: 16/18 w/ cloak

Thanks again to anybody who is willing to help. Im thinking i may have to change to be more melee oriented. The Shugenga is what kind of throws everything off, not a good enough healer to hold that spot on her own and not quite good enough blaster to hold that on her own and is useless in melee.

The GM is very fond of AE damage and traps, most of which seem to deal AE damage, and the campaign setting in general seems to be more lethal than most ive played (Shattered Lands).

I'm really looking for a good way to maintain my ability to keep the party going while not relying completley on Channel Energy every round. So any option that would allow me to do that would be great. Thanks again everyone for even bothering to read this.

goose1009
2011-08-20, 09:27 AM
Are any of the other pathfinder classes able to handle healing as well or close to as well as the cleric? I think channel energy kind of made that impossible, but maybe something out of the APG has something that ive missed.

Psyren
2011-08-20, 09:56 AM
Are any of the other pathfinder classes able to handle healing as well or close to as well as the cleric? I think channel energy kind of made that impossible, but maybe something out of the APG has something that ive missed.

The Vitalist from Psionics Expanded, but it's not up on the SRD yet. It keeps the party in a mental network and can redirect any healing effects to whoever needs them most (for instance, it can take a Cleric's healing burst and focus all of it into one character, or share the healing from a potion with the group, or even redirect the fast healing or regen of another character.) As you gain levels, you can also make Heal checks at a distance via the network to stabilize bleeding party members and cure poison/disease. Your choice of Method (read: discipline) grants additional benefits, such as the ability to grant everyone in your network Fast Healing or DR 3+Wis/day, or even the ability to steal health from enemies and share it through the network. And naturally, they can share a number of psionic healing powers like Body Adjustment and Vigor.

All of the above is in addition to the 9th-level powers they can normally get access to.

Paul H
2011-08-22, 09:17 PM
Hi

Oracles cab be excellent healers. CLW etc added to spells known. No AoO for casting healing, can take the Channel Energy thing, depending on your Mystery etc.

Played on same table (PFS campaign) with an Oracle Str 18, 2H wpn. Managed to outfight the Paladin & outheal the Cleric in one encounter!

Thanks
Paul H

goose1009
2011-08-23, 12:30 PM
Hi

Oracles cab be excellent healers. CLW etc added to spells known. No AoO for casting healing, can take the Channel Energy thing, depending on your Mystery etc.

Played on same table (PFS campaign) with an Oracle Str 18, 2H wpn. Managed to outfight the Paladin & outheal the Cleric in one encounter!

Thanks
Paul H

Thanks paul, i will look into it!

subject42
2011-08-23, 12:31 PM
The Vitalist from Psionics Expanded, but it's not up on the SRD yet.

I'm working on that. There's just a lot of stuff in the book to transcribe.

Gnaeus
2011-08-23, 12:56 PM
I'm really looking for a good way to maintain my ability to keep the party going while not relying completley on Channel Energy every round. So any option that would allow me to do that would be great. Thanks again everyone for even bothering to read this.

Some suggestions:
Summon Monster V. A bralani gets 2 cure serious wounds per day for spot healing, and also throws lightning bolts and wind blasts. It can also cast Blur on your allies at will!
Alternately, just summoning combat brutes should help take heat off your buddies.

Crowd control. Unless your DM only throws mind immune stuff at you or his monsters always make their saves, Greater Command is likely to prevent a lot more damage over its 10 round duration than healing bursts will. Likewise, a wall of stone that splits up the encounter is just as good as a really big heal.

In general, you will be more effective by shutting down enemies than you will by healing their damage, and it is more fun.