PDA

View Full Version : [3.P] Summoner, drastically changed?

Scorpions__
2011-08-19, 06:13 PM
A player of mine wants to take the Summoner from Pathfinder and make it more like the summoners from Final Fantasy games.

The idea:

- Take away all spells.
- Take away summon monster spell-like abilities.

- Add this ability (work in progress):

Summon Eidolon (Su): The Summoner can call an Eidolon a to fight for them a number of times per day equal to 3 + CHA. At each level where the Summoner would have otherwise gained another level of the summon monster spell-like ability, they instead gain another eidolon.

Thoughts? She would need more evolution points I know, what else needs to be adjusted?

DM[F]R

Starbuck_II
2011-08-19, 06:17 PM
A player of mine wants to take the Summoner from Pathfinder and make it more like the summoners from Final Fantasy games.

The idea:

- Take away all spells.

Summon Eidolon (Su): The Summoner can call an Eidolon a to fight for them a number of times per day equal to 3 + CHA. At each level where the Summoner would have otherwise gained another level of the summon monster spell-like ability, they instead gain another eidolon.

Thoughts? She would need more evolution points I know, what else needs to be adjusted?

DM[F]R
Summoners have spells in FF games.
Almost all versions do.
FF 4: White/Black + Summons (mostly black)
FF 9: White magic + summons
Would you have to share evolution points?

Lappy9000
2011-08-19, 06:48 PM
I dunno which Final Fantasy you're talking about, but all you'd really need to do is alter the fluff and stats of the eidolon to suit the particular summon.

For some inspiration, I suggest Final Fantasy X d20 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4299590#post4299590)

Prime32
2011-08-20, 12:58 PM

The idea:

- Take away all spells.

Thoughts? She would need more evolution points I know, what else needs to be adjusted?That sounds like a psion focusing on astral construct.

Really though, FF summoners only summon things long enough for them to make one special attack. That's just refluffed blasting. Heck, the magic section of the 3.5 DMG has a section on describing spells and one of the suggestions for magic missile is "summon a demonic skull that spits energy".