PDA

View Full Version : [Pathfinder] Two attacks on AoO

Major
2011-08-19, 06:31 PM
Alright, first I want to note that it is Pathfinder. So I can't use 3.5 stuff (pure pathfinder) most likely.

Now then, I'm a bit new to Pathfinder and don't have all the books. Does anybody know anyway to get two attacks with an attack of opportunity. Do note it would have to be with a pistol (I get reload as a free action no worry) and I have Improved Snapshot (Let's me make AoO with a ranged weapon).

Basically, I can't find a way to fire twice on an AoO, but I'm hoping that somebody knows how.

herrhauptmann
2011-08-19, 06:41 PM
What's your race/level restrictions?
Some things might be possible as say a gnome at 15th level, but not before. But if you're doing this as an elf, or in a campaign that will go from 3-12th level, then the info won't really help you.
Honestly, I can't help you so well either way.

If it were 3.5 I could: Two Weapon Fighting + Double Hit = Attack with left and right hand on AOO at full bonus (with of course, penalties for two weapon fighting).
Improved/Greater Combat reflexes lets you take a secondary and tertiary attack on your AOO at -5 and -10 penalties. Though the second and third attacks do also take away from your allowed AOOs per round.
You could conceivably combine all of that for a full 6 attacks per AOO. At which point, I'd recommend finding ways to start handing out status effects, ability damage, and level drain.
Conveniently, I have a list of most 3.5 sources of that, with price and book. If you want it.

Major
2011-08-19, 07:08 PM
Human, Gunslinger.

Sadly, I realized my plan didn't work fully.

I was hoping to take advantage of the archetype that gave me the ability to knock someone prone if I hit them twice, but then I realized it said "on your turn" thus getting rid of my plan.

However, thank you for pointing those out, that actually gave me an idea on what I can do in Pathfinder.

Drothmal
2011-08-19, 07:18 PM
Can you just set your readied action to "I use my normal attack on whoever I get an AoO on"?

That way, you can get your 2 hits on the same round

Major
2011-08-19, 07:22 PM
Amusing question,but the main reason I considered is because I try to stay at the 15ft or so distance with the guns, but if anyone comes at me I wanted a way to stop them. Knocking them prone with no way around it seemed like a good method. Instead I'll just have to settle for knocking people prone on my turn and just hitting them.

On a side note, if an action is a single attack, but takes a full round action, you can't use that with an AoO right?

herrhauptmann
2011-08-19, 07:22 PM
Human, Gunslinger.

Sadly, I realized my plan didn't work fully.

I was hoping to take advantage of the archetype that gave me the ability to knock someone prone if I hit them twice, but then I realized it said "on your turn" thus getting rid of my plan.

However, thank you for pointing those out, that actually gave me an idea on what I can do in Pathfinder.

Improved/Greater Combat Reflexes are in Dragon mag.
Doublehit, I think is in Mini handbook.

3.5 stat/ability/status changers

{table=Head]Name|Book|Cost|Effect|Save
Wounding |DMG|+2|1 Con damage|None
MarrowCrushing |BoVD|+3|1 Con Damage|None
Enfeebling|BoED|+1|crit, 1d6+2 Temp Str Damage|None
Paralyzing|BoED|+2|Paralyzed up to 10 rounds|Will 17
Roaring|BoED|+3|Shaken, 2d6 sonic|Will 22
Nervewrack|D.Uund|+1|On Crit Many effects1d4 rounds|None
Subjugating|Heroes of Battle|+2|Shaken/Frightened 5 rounds|Will 20
Doom Burst|Mini|+1|Crit, shaken 5minutes|None
Paralytic Burst|Mini|+2|Crit, Hold Monster|None
Weakening|Shining South|+3|1 Str Damage|None
Lifedrinker weapon|DMG/SRD|38k|2 negative levels, 1 negative level on user|Fort 16, next day.
Sudden Stunning|DMG2|2000|Swift action, 1d4+1 rounds|Ref: 10+ 1/2 level+User Cha mod
[/table]

Good luck.

Major
2011-08-19, 07:24 PM
Well, I know where those feats are from but its Pathfinder, not 3.P and the DM specifically said no homebrew or 3.X things.

As for the chart of seemingly random weapon enhancements...why do I need that? I'm trying to figure out if I'm missing something on why those are useful.

Xtomjames
2011-08-19, 07:26 PM
Well isn't Combat reflexes in Pathfinder? If you want to attack twice in an AoO you'll need two weapon fighting, Combat Reflexes, a high dex. You'll also need Snap Shot to threaten squares within five feet of you for AoO, which means you'll need rapid shot as well and an BAB of +6.

That all said it is doable, just difficult.

herrhauptmann
2011-08-19, 07:27 PM
You said that I gave you an idea for something to do in pathfinder.

I didn't know what the idea was, so I included the list of various effects I mentioned above. Useful when you get a lot of hits per round, but might not get a lot of damage per round.

And yes, I know it's for pathfinder. You said at the outset, and I know I said I couldn't help you for pathfinder, only 3.5.

Major
2011-08-19, 07:36 PM
Well isn't Combat reflexes in Pathfinder? If you want to attack twice in an AoO you'll need two weapon fighting, Combat Reflexes, a high dex. You'll also need Snap Shot to threaten squares within five feet of you for AoO, which means you'll need rapid shot as well and an BAB of +6.

Combat reflexes doesn't let you make two attacks with two weapon fighting unless I'm mistaken. I have a high dex, I will have combat reflexes, and I will have snap shot and improved snap shot (thus 5+10=15 threatened squares)

You said that I gave you an idea for something to do in pathfinder.

I didn't know what the idea was, so I included the list of various effects I mentioned above. Useful when you get a lot of hits per round, but might not get a lot of damage per round.

And yes, I know it's for pathfinder. You said at the outset, and I know I said I couldn't help you for pathfinder, only 3.5.

Ahhh gotcha, thank you then. I was just confused.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-19, 07:38 PM

That doesn't work. Combat Reflexes let's you make extra AoOs, you still only get one per provoke.

Major
2011-08-19, 07:40 PM
That doesn't work. Combat Reflexes let's you make extra AoOs, you still only get one per provoke.

That's what I thought. Thus the problem. But again, the main point was to use my two shot knock prone ability which is my turn only.

Now then, can I use a full-round attack action as an attack of opportunity? Pretty sure I can't, but if I can I use targeting to shoot the hands of the opponent and disarm them.

Bhaakon
2011-08-19, 07:49 PM
If you have a double barreled pistol, musket, or shotgun, you're allowed to fire both barrels simultaneously to get an extra attack in exchange for -4 to hit on each shot. I don't see anything in the RAW prohibiting this use with an AoO.

Major
2011-08-19, 07:52 PM
Damn, that works beautifully. Shame the "on your turn" clause of my ability...

Alright, question two. If you hold two weapons, but attack with one does it still have twf penalties?

Bhaakon
2011-08-19, 07:54 PM
Damn, that works beautifully. Shame the "on your turn" clause of my ability...

Alright, question two. If you hold two weapons, but attack with one does it still have twf penalties?

No. TWF penalties only activate if you attack with your off-hand.

herrhauptmann
2011-08-19, 08:37 PM
No. TWF penalties only activate if you attack with your off-hand.

Exactly.
EX: Bab of 16, with lets say, haste and slashing fury. That grants attacks at 16/16/16/11/6/1.
You can then fight with this pattern (or any other without taking TWF penalties):
Left hand/Right hand/ Kick/ Armor spikes/Left hand/Left hand
That rule still applies whether it's Pathfinder or 3.5.