PDA

View Full Version : big teej's build challenge (necromancer)

big teej
2011-08-19, 08:31 PM
greetings playgrounders,

this time around, I need 2 builds. 1 with a limited sourcelist, the other is only restricted to "no third party, and no online stuff"

the character: Maximillian Thanos

the concept: Maximillian is the only 20th level NPC in my world. he rules a nation set up in a manner similar to dr. dooms latveria

in place of robot cops however, there are undead.

the people are safe. there is no crime, they do not have to serve in the army, they do not work dangerous jobs. etc. etc. etc.

each individual household even has a resident skeleton which has been tasked with protecting the building and the family that dwells within.

requirements
Lawful Evil
wields a scythe
able to fit above discription.

now, as I said, I need 2 builds for this character.

why?

simple, in the event a party encounters him before I get my hands on every 3.x book ever published, I need to have him statted out. but I'd also like to have a "final" build ready.

here are the sources allowed for the first build.
Arms and Equipment Guide
Magic of Incarnum
Dungeon Master's Guide
Sword and Fist
Player's Handbook II
Masters of the Wild
Song and Silence
Enemies and Allies
Tome and Blood
Races of Stone
Defender's of the Faith
Book of Vile Darkness
Unearthed Arcana
Cityscape
Dungeon Master's Guide
Monster Manual III
Player's Handbook
Book of Exalted Deeds
Psionics Handbook
Oriental Adventures
Expanded Psionics Handbook
Monster Manual
Monster Manual II
Deities and Demigods

the second build. anything goes with 2 exceptions
no third party and NO online material, no web enhancements, no updates, no errata, NOTHING.

The Rabbler
2011-08-19, 08:43 PM
Wizard 20 with mindrape and gate. Gate in something that's good at making or controlling undead then mindrape it into being your devoted servant forever.

As for hundreds of skeletons, how about undead leadership? Give your wizard a decent charisma and you'll have yourself a veritable necropolis.

For a cohort, give him a level 18 wizard or cleric built for the sole purpose of creating and augmenting undead. I'm AFB, but I remember that a devoted character can get some pretty ridiculous undead going through the templates in the Libris Mortis.

Acanous
2011-08-19, 09:05 PM
Going Cleric/Wizard/True Necromancer/Mystic Theurge might work here, although it's a tad underpowered.

Grendus
2011-08-19, 09:29 PM
Necropolitan Human Sorcerer 5/Pale Master 10/X 5. Uses Deathless Master's Touch to coup de grace other high level necromancers (preferably Dread Necromancers or Clerics) and add them to his army without counting towards the HD limit, then casts Awaken Undead to let them regain their class levels and mindrapes them to further ensure their loyalty. These sub-necromancers build tiered orders of lesser undead, down to the mindless rabble that makes up the servant, worker, and soldier undead. Commanders are never risked near front line combat, so loss of control is rarely an issue. When someone is lost, clerics and dread necromancers are used to regain control of the rogue undead (and the victims are added to the mindless rabble, with an enlistment bonus given to the family).

It would actually probably be a fairly stable form of government, presuming you had enough onyx for animating or found a good way around the cost. Sub commanders who hadn't yet reached Pale Master 10 (I.E. most of them) would use Fell Animate metamagic to coup de grace prisoners and enemies for cost free undead. Worship would probably be dedicated towards a death god, likely Wee Jas as she's lawful, while worship of Pelor would be punishable by death and low level reanimation.