PDA

View Full Version : jump and a land speed of 25

Moginheden
2011-08-19, 11:50 PM
according to the SRD:

Your Jump check is modified by your speed. If your speed is 30 feet then no modifier based on speed applies to the check. If your speed is less than 30 feet, you take a –6 penalty for every 10 feet of speed less than 30 feet. If your speed is greater than 30 feet, you gain a +4 bonus for every 10 feet beyond 30 feet.

I've got a dwarf, (basic land speed of 20) with a +1 chain shirt of quickness, (MIC:13, increase land movement speed by 5)

He has 22 str, (+6) 11 ranks in jump, and 5 ranks in tumble, (so +2 synergy bonus) with an armour check penalty of -1 due to the chain shirt. That totals to a +18 bonus

When he makes a jump check does he get the full +18? or is it reduced by 6 to +12 since he's slower than 30 move speed? He doesn't have a move speed a full 10 less than 30.

He happens to be a warblade using sudden leap so jump checks will be common in increase his movement per round. Is there anything in the 5,000 gp range that would help more than quickness on the chain shirt for total movement distance when charging to attack? (Planned attack is charge for double movement using sudden leap for additional distance and wolf fang strike when I get there to use both weapons.)

Zaq
2011-08-19, 11:57 PM
Hmmm. D&D always rounds down unless otherwise specified. The question is, then, what exactly are we rounding? Are we rounding "how much slower are you than 30 feet"? Are we rounding "your move speed, as compared to 30 feet"? Are we rounding something else entirely?

If I were a GM, I'd ad-hoc that you take a –3, but that's not RAW.

Drachasor
2011-08-20, 12:16 AM
If I were a GM, I'd ad-hoc that you take a –3, but that's not RAW.

Same. RAW I think can go either 0 or -6, it isn't clear.

Lyndworm
2011-08-20, 12:17 AM
RaW, you take no penalty due to your speed. The SRD states that:

If your speed is less than 30 feet, you take a -6 penalty for every 10 feet of speed less than 30 feet.
It specifically says that you have to be 10ft under to take penalties, so at 25ft you take no penalties. It's pretty straightforward, really. I can see why you'd want to run it by the Playground (these guys tend to be pretty smart), but I think that the rule speaks for itself.

candycorn
2011-08-20, 12:31 AM
RaW, you take no penalty due to your speed. The SRD states that:

It specifically says that you have to be 10ft under to take penalties, so at 25ft you take no penalties. It's pretty straightforward, really. I can see why you'd want to run it by the Playground (these guys tend to be pretty smart), but I think that the rule speaks for itself.

This. Just as 35 feet doesn't qualify for the bonus, 25 doesn't qualify for the penalty. This isn't an issue of rounding, as movement is in 5 foot segments.

That said, boosting your speed will boost your jump check, so I heartily recommend it.

Drachasor
2011-08-20, 03:48 PM
This. Just as 35 feet doesn't qualify for the bonus, 25 doesn't qualify for the penalty. This isn't an issue of rounding, as movement is in 5 foot segments.

Since it is calculated in 10 foot segments, the rounding would come from rounding 25 Feet down to 20 Feet, or (30ft. - 25 ft.) down to 0ft.

Looking over the wording again, it seems like you should go with the subtraction route. Which would make your conclusion correct (though not your reasoning).