PDA

View Full Version : What kind of powers to give a psionic axe?

maximus25
2011-08-20, 01:57 AM
I sort of gave my party fighter a psionic axe. It's not going to be very powerful now, I was thinking it would reveal a couple powers everytime the fighter levels up, to show how it wants him to grow in power.

It's kind of homebrewed. I didn't really plan for it, but it seemed to be right for the moment. It doesn't want a slave, more of a traveling companion/friend.

I humbly ask the playground for help.

Shpadoinkle
2011-08-20, 03:50 AM
Well, Shocking is always a good start (thematically) for any psionic weapon. I'll look through some of my books and see if I can find anything else that jumps out at me as appropriate.

Disarming (MIC); give the wielder +2 to disarm checks and wielder can't be disarmed.

Dislocator (MIC); teleport struck creature up to 10 feet in any direction, will save DC 17 negates, usable three times per day.
You might upgrade this to Great Dislocator after a few levels, which has a range of 30 feet and a save DC of 20.

Dispelling (MIC); Casts a targeted Dispel Magic on the creature struck 3/day. Greater Dispelling does the same thing except it casts Greater Dispel Magic.

Energy Aura (MIC); lets you grant a weapon any one the Flaming, Shocking, Frost, or Corrosive properties each time you activate it. You can't have more than one active at a time, though.

Psychokinetic (MIC); like the energy aura properties, it has to be activated. Every hit deal an extra 1d4 points of force damage.

Resounding (MIC); Every time you hit something you and all allies within 30' get a +1 morale bonus to attack rolls and saves vs. fear.

Transmuting (MIC); One round after striking an enemy with DR, the weapon changes itself to be the appropriate type to overcome it.

Warning (MIC); Grants a +5 insight bonus to initiative checks as long as it's held.

Whirling (MIC); lets you use the Whirlwind Attack feat three times per day if you don't have it.

dkist
2011-08-20, 03:56 AM
Do you own "Weapons of Legacy"

if you, u can use it ;) I believe it will make your job pretty easy:smallcool:

HunterOfJello
2011-08-20, 05:06 AM
Is this an axe with psionic enhancements OR is it an intelligent axe that uses psionic powers?

Either option could be done through weapon's of legacy, but as a DM I've grown to dislike the concept of a weapon that scales with level. Even if you remove all of the costs except for the ritual costs, it still puts a PC in the position of rarely desiring a new weapon ever again. That takes some of the fun away from the game because a new powerful magical weapon is one of the biggest treasure rewards a character can get as a reward.

stainboy
2011-08-20, 07:10 AM
Do you own "Weapons of Legacy"

if you, u can use it ;) I believe it will make your job pretty easy:smallcool:

Doesn't have any psionic axes, or psionic anything if I remember right. Also the proper use for a legacy weapon is to throw it into a volcano before it can take your BAB/skillpoints/saves/caster levels away.

Psyren
2011-08-20, 09:05 AM
Is this an axe with psionic enhancements OR is it an intelligent axe that uses psionic powers?

I'm confused about this too. It sounds like that thing can talk, or at least has a mind of its own.

Either option could be done through weapon's of legacy, but as a DM I've grown to dislike the concept of a weapon that scales with level. Even if you remove all of the costs except for the ritual costs, it still puts a PC in the position of rarely desiring a new weapon ever again. That takes some of the fun away from the game because a new powerful magical weapon is one of the biggest treasure rewards a character can get as a reward.

On the other hand, he IS a fighter - any help he can get is no doubt welcome, and it's only one less piece of gear to worry about.

TurtleKing
2011-08-20, 09:17 AM
Question does he have Perform: Guitar (String Instruments)? Because if he doesn't he needs to hurry so he can rock out. In that regard Shocking and Thundering both sound appropiate.

Edit: There are alternatives to Legacy Weapons in the DMGII. You can bond with a item such as a weapon for a bonus plus more if you invest a feat. Throw on some aesthetics that have very little mechanics gameplay wise for some flavor. The pages should start at 229.

Midnight_v
2011-08-20, 01:19 PM
I'm fond of the "collision" enhancement as far as psionics goes.

maximus25
2011-08-20, 03:49 PM

Intelligent axe that uses psionic powers.