PDA

View Full Version : Arcana Knight [3.5, Base Class, {WIP} PEACH]

Groverfield
2011-08-20, 04:16 AM
ARCANA KNIGHT

"Galei might be a less than average as a wizard, but she is my wizard, and I'll protect her with her power"
-Bret Harsworth, human Arcana Knight

The path to becoming an Arcana Knight can be a challenging one, as they must train with or by an arcane spellcaster to become one. Sorcerers are not well known for patience, wizards might be too preoccupied in their own studies. Most often Arcana Knights either grew up with their arcanist, or were trained in a Martial Arcana school. The original Arcana Knights were slaves, most often from more savage races raised by arcanists to be efficient tools of war for them, and said slavery might still be actively practiced by kobolds, drow, evil outsiders with spellcasting abilities, chromatic dragons, or even "civilized" humanoids (though likely only common in tyrannical states,) just to name a few. It is from the less than noble traditions of raising Arcana Knights that the more noble training was derived from. (more flavor later...?)

Class Information
Abilities: STR and CON are the most important stats for Arcana Knights, they benefit from all other abilities though.
Races: Any. Most often humans, and half-orcs voluntarily choose this path.
Starting gold: 4d4x10
Starting age: As a wizard
Alignment: Any.
Hit Die: d8
Weapons and Armor Proficiencies: Proficient with simple and martial weapons, light, medium, heavy armor, light and medium shields
Skills at first level: (2+Int mod) x 4 Skills at all other levels: (2+Int mod)
Class Skills: Climb(Str), Concentrate(Con), Craft(Int), Decipher Script(Int), Intimidate(Cha), Jump(Str), Know(arcana)(Int), Know(Dungeoneering)(Int), Know(history)(Int), Listen(Wis), Profession(Wis), Ride(Dex), Sense Motive(Wis), Spellcraft(Int), Swim(Str), Use Magic Device(Cha)

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Natural AC|Special

1st|+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|+0|Familial Bonding, Empathic Link,Alertness Feat, Skill Specialization Harmony

2nd|+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|+0|Share Spells (0, and 1st)

3rd|+3|
+3|
+0|
+3|+1|Arcane Channeling

4th|+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|+1|Share Spells (2nd)

5th|+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|+1|Minor Specialization Harmony

6th|+6/+1|
+5|
+1|
+5|+1|Share Spells (3rd)

7th|+7/+2|
+5|
+2|
+5|+2|Telepathic Link

8th|+8/+3|
+6|
+2|
+6|+2|Mettle

9th|+9/+4|
+6|
+2|
+6|+2|Arcana Understanding

10th|+10/+5|
+7|
+3|
+7|+2|Share Spells (5th)

11th|+11/+6/+1|
+7|
+3|
+7|+3|Moderate Specialization Harmony

12th|+12/+7/+2|
+8|
+3|
+8|+3|Share Spells (6th)

13th|+13/+8/+3|
+8|
+4|
+8|+3|Spell Resistance

14th|+14/+9/+4|
+9|
+4|
+9|+3|Share Spells (7th), Bound Evasion

15th|+15/+10/+5|
+9|
+4|
+9|+4|Greater Telepathic Link

16th|+16/+11/+6/+1|
+10|
+5|
+10|+4|Share Spells (8th)

17th|+17/+12/+7/+2|
+10|
+5|
+10|+4|Major Specialization Harmony

18th|+18/+13/+8/+3|
+11|
+5|
+11|+4|Share Spells (9th)

19th|+19/+14/+9/+4|
+11|
+6|
+11|+5|Share Spells (All)

20th|+20/+15/+10/+5|
+12|
+6|
+12|+5|Ascendancy[/table]

Familial Bonding: Any arcane spellcaster or invocation user capable of acquiring a familiar may forgo gaining that familiar, and instead bond with an ArcanaKnight, which initially looks to be a disadvantage for the Arcanist, but many are happy to forgo a familiar to bond with an ArcanaKnight instead. If either the ArcanaKnight, or the arcanist bonded with him dies, they must wait a year and a day before bonding with a new familiar, or ArcanaKnight, or in the case of the ArcanaKnight, must wait that time before bonding with a new arcanist. An ArcanaKnight can only be bonded with one arcanist. In the occasions of bonds at higher level, they must wait a month per level of the ArcanaKnight's class level before the bonding is complete. As a full-round action their bound arcanist can terminate the bond permanently. The ArcanaKnight can terminate this bond as well, but only if a condition set at the time of binding is violated. The ArcanaKnight counts as the bound arcanist's familiar for all purposes relating to spells, abilities, and feats.

Empathic Link: [SU]At level 1, Like a familiar, an ArcanaKnight and the bonded arcanist with it has the ability to communicate via emotions between the two, if they are within one mile of each other. Because of the limited nature of this link, only general emotional content (such as fear, hunger, happiness, curiosity) can be communicated.

Alertness Feat: An ArcanaKnight gains Alertness as a bonus feat at
level 1.

Skill Specialization Harmony: [SU]ArcanaKnights gain the use of skills by virtue of their bound spellcaster's specialization, they treat the skills as trained, and can make checks as though they have 3+ArcanaKnight level ranks in those skills: (Classes not mentioned should use the DM's discression as to which it's closest to)
Abjurer: Heal, Listen, Spot, Use Rope
Conjurer/Sorcerer/Warmage: Balance, Escape Artist, Tumble
Diviner/Generalist Wizard: Appraise, Disable Device, Open Lock, Search
Enchanter/Beguiler: Diplomacy, Gather Information, Handle Animal
Evoker/Warlock/Dragonfire Adept: Concentrate, Use Magic Device
Illusionist/Bard: Bluff, Disguise, Forgery, Perform (any one, chosen at bonding)
Necromancer/Dread Necromancer: Hide, Heal, Intimidate, Move Silently
Transmuter/Wu Jen: Climb, Jump, Swim

Share Spells: [SU]At second level an ArcanaKnight shares arcane spells and invocations with his bound arcanist, limited by the ArcanaKnight's level. Any spell or invocation cast by the bound arcanist on himself as a target is shared as though they both cast the spell. At 2nd level an ArcanaKnight can share 0-level and 1st-level spells with its bound arcanists, this increases at every even number level until level 18 for 9th level spells. This ability allows spells cast by friendly spellcasters to affect the ArcanaKnight instead, at the Arcanist's discression. This ability only functions if the ArcanaKnight and his bound Arcanist are within 30' of each other.
At 19th level, any spell, even divine, epic, and epic level spells cast by the bound arcanist is shared.

Natural Armor: [SU]At third level an ArcanaKnight gains a +1 natural armor increase to reflect arcane energies reinforcing the ArcanaKnight defensively. This bonus increases by 1 every fourth level after that.

Arcane Channelling: [SU]At third level, an ArcanaKnight can deliver touch attacks held by his bound arcanist with any melee weapon or unarmed strike.

Minor Specialization Harmony: [SU]At 5th level an ArcanaKnight gains a boon based on her bonded arcanist's class or specialization.
Abjurer: Gains DR 10/- against ranged weapons
Conjurer/Sorcerer/Warmage: Once per day the bonded arcanist can call the ArcanaKnight to his location, no matter the distance or what
plane of existence the ArcanaKnight is on.
Diviner/Generalist Wizard: Trap finding, as a rogue
Enchanter/Bard: Gains the ability to rage as a barbarian of 4 levels less than its ArcanaKnight level.
Evoker/Warlock/Dragonfire Adept: Can create a glow or everburning flame from hands, or anything held as a Daylight spell heightened to the highest level spell or spell-like ability that the arcanist has access to.
Illusionist/Beguiler: As a standard action can use invisibility as a spell-like ability on self.
Necromancer/Dread Necromancer: After any attack made by the ArcanaKnight that deals lethal damage hits (and deals damage,) he gains temporary hit points equal to his ArcanaKnight level. These temporary hit points are lost first, and tracked separate from other temporary hit points. The ArcanaKnight can never have more than his ArcanaKnight level temporary hit points this way.
Transmuter/Wu Jen: Gains a +4 bonus to STR, DEX, and CON. This bonus remains even if the ArcanaKnight is in a different form.

Telepathic Link: [SU]At 7th level the bond between the ArcanaKnight and his bound arcanist increases, they can communicate telepathically if they're on the same plane.

Mettle: [SU]At 8th level an ArcanaKnight can resist magical and unusual attacks with great willpower or fortitude. If he makes a successful Will or Fortitude save against an attack that would have a lesser effect on a successful save he instead completely negates the effect. An unconscious or sleeping ArcanaKnight does not gain the benefit of Mettle.

Arcana Understanding: [SU]At 9th level an ArcanaKnight and his bound arcanist can understand magical writings as if constantly under the effect of the Read Magic spell. An ArcanaKnight can use this understanding to assist a spellcaster that prepares its spells to help it prepare those spells in half the normal time for that spellcaster.

Moderate Specialization Harmony: [SU]At 11th level an ArcanaKnight gains a boon based on her bonded arcanist's class or specialization.
Abjurer: All affected creatures within 30 feet of the ArcanaKnight are affected as by Dimensional Anchor. Spell resistance does not apply, however the target only has to move out of the ArcanaKnight's reach to stop this effect.
Conjurer/Sorcerer/Warmage The bonded Arcanist can use an immediate action action to move an ArcanaKnight as per the Dimension Door spell, this is usually used to interpose the ArcanaKnight between an enemy advencing towards an arcanist.
Diviner/Generalist Wizard: Always knows if any divination effect is observing the ArcanaKnight or his bound arcanist.
Enchanter/Bard: As a standard action, the bonded arcanist can cast Greater Heroism on the ArcanaKnight without expending a spell.
Evoker/Warlock/Dragonfire Adept: At will can raise or lower a Fire Shield of Caster Level equal to ArcanaKnight.
Illusionist/Beguiler: As Minor, except Greater Invisibility.
Necromancer/Dread Necromancer: When the ArcanaKnight has a temporary hit points reserve from Minor Specialization Harmony, he gains half that amount to attack, and that amount to damage.
Transmuter/Wu Jen: Gains an at-will ability to polymorph self with the restriction of only non-dire non-dinosaur animals.

Spell Resistance: [SU]At 13th level gains 11+ ArcanaKnight class level spell resistance. An ArcanaKnight can voluntarily raise or lower this at will.

Bound Evasion: [SU]At 14th level an ArcanaKnight gains Bound Evasion, and can ignore any spell or ability with "Reflex Half" made by his bound arcanist as though he had evasion, and successfully saved against that ability.

Greater Telepathic Link: [SU]At 15th level the ArcanaKnight's bond with his bonded arcanist fully matures. The ArcanaKnight and the arcanist can see and hear from each others perspective. This experience can be disorienting, so they gain a -4 to Listen, Search, and Spot checks, but can make those checks once from each location. This ability works even if the two are on separate planes, and at any distance.

Major Specialization Harmony: [SU]At 17th level an ArcanaKnight gains a boon based on her bonded arcanist's class or specialization.
Abjurer: When the Arcana Knight's Spell Resistance stops a spell, he can turn the spell against its caster as per the Spell Turning spell.
Conjurer/Sorcerer/Warmage: Once per day the ArcanaKnight can make a Gate to where his bound arcanist is, and travel there, or pull the arcanist back to him. This ends after ten minutes, when either the arcanist or ArcanaKnight fully travels through, or when the ArcanaKnight dismisses the gate. This cannot be used to call a creature.
Diviner/Generalist Wizard: The ArcanaKnight gains a sixth sense to danger. He is immune to surprise, (effectively gaining Improved Uncanny Dodge,) and he can always take a standard action during a surprise round, unless she is physically restrained from doing so. He also gains a +2 insight bonus to AC and Reflex saves.
Enchanter/Bard: All enemies avoid the ArcanaKnight and his bound arcanist as per the Antipathy spell, unless there are no other hostile targets.
Evoker/Warlock/Dragonfire Adept: Gains the ability to emit a Sunburst centered on the ArcanaKnight as a full-round action once per hour. The effect of the Sunburst does not effect the ArcanaKnight using it.
Illusionist/Beguiler: As a standard action, the ArcanaKnight can use uncontrolled illusions to overload the senses of any target within 60 feet. The target must make a will save of (10+1/2 ArcanaKnight levels + the bound arcanist's relevant ability modifier.) A successful save sickens the target for 3 rounds, a failed save stuns the target for 10 rounds, or until the ArcanaKnight dismisses the effect, at which point the target is sickened for 3 rounds. Only one target may be stunned by this effect at a time.
Necromancer/Dread Necromancer: Any target damaged by an ArcanaKnight becomes exhausted.
Transmuter/Wu Jen: The bonuses from Minor Specialization Harmony increases to +6, and the restriction on Moderate Specialization Harmony now includes any animal of up to the ArcanaKnight's class level in HD.

Ascendancy: [SU]At 20th level, an ArcanaKnight's bond with his arcanist's magic becomes so great that he takes on traits of magical beings related to the arcanists's specialization.
Abjurer/Diviner/Generalist Wizard: Is treated as an Outsider (Native) and gains DR 15/Adamantine.
Conjurer/Warmage/Warlock: Gains 60' Darkvision in all forms of darkness. Does not need to eat, or sleep. Gains Energy Resistance 10 to Fire, Cold, and Electricity.
Enchanter/Evoker/Sorcerer/Dragonfire Adept: Gains immunity to sleep and poison, and paralysis effects. Gains a +4 bonus to STR, CON, and +2 CHA.
Illusionist/Bard/Beguiler: Becomes partially illusionary. Each attack against the ArcanaKnight has a 50% miss chance.
Necromancer/Dread Necromancer: Gains Moderate Fortification (75% chance to negate extra damage from criticals and precision,) and takes only one quarter ability damage, drain, and penalty. Negative energy heals the ArcanaKnight as if the ArcanaKnight was undead.
Transmuter/Wu Jen: Gains the (Shapechanger) subtype, and gains +3 attack and +4 damage with all natural weapons, natural weapons count as magic for bypassing DR. Gains DR 5/magic.

Unbound ArcanaKnights: An ArcanaKnight who is not bound to an arcanist, or whose arcanist is dead (and not undead) loses all class features, and cannot advance as an ArcanaKnight until a new bond has been established, or the bound arcanist is revived or raised.

Class-specific Feats
**Note: With an Arcana Knight in the party, arcane classes should be allowed to take the Acquire Familiar feat at 1st level.
Dual Bindings
Prerequisites: 1 level of Arcana Knight
Benefit: The Arcana Knight gains the ability to bind with a second arcanist, and gain the Skill Specialization Harmony and Minor Specialization Harmony when he qualifies for them. Harmonies that have an effect that refers to "The Arcanist" refers to the arcanist that grants the Arcane Knight that ability.
Note: This feat can only be taken once. Check with your DM before taking this feat.

Improved Dual Bindings
Prerequisites: 15 levels of Arcana Knight
Benefit: The Arcane Knight gains the ability to mature a bond with a second arcane spellcaster, and gain the Moderate Specialization Harmony and Major Specialization Harmony when he qualifies for them. Harmonies that have an effect that refers to "The Arcanist" refers to the arcanist that grants the Arcane Knight that ability.

Shared Distance
Prerequisite: Arcana Knight 3rd, or Caster Level 3
Benefit: Increases the distance of shared spells to 250'. Only the spellcaster or the Arcana Knight need take this feat in order to gain its benefit between the link
------------------------------------------
Notes

D8 for a melee class meant to be specialized in defending? What is this? I hope this is not Chris's blood. For a class that really only needs two good abilities, and one of those is CON, a low HD is acceptable. In addition to the other defenses this class provides, and sometimes gaining a CON adjustment or a quickly replenishing tHP pool, not to mention a natural AC bonus. The only problem I'm seeing is this might be a bit too powerful for a melee class... I'd compare it to druidzilla, but that wins due to a better action economy... I don't know, I can't shake the feeling that this class would become something like "That one vampire-ish-tiger making class," due to a dual necromancer/transmuter binding. I'm trying to make this class somewhere between Tier 2 and Tier 3. The big iffy part is the 3 good saves, my reasoning was due to training about avoiding and shaking off magical effects, maybe I'll do good/bad saves based on the bound arcanist?

Thoughts?

Groverfield
2011-08-20, 05:53 AM
Space reserved for more feats, maybe related PrCs.

Current use: Topics of thought
Perhaps drop good reflex in place of something that allows automatic reflex saves against spells of the bound caster to synergize with Evasion?
What seems stinky cheese, and what doesn't look to be worthwhile? Likely going to be initially retooling Divination/Generalist a bit, and examining conjuration.
****Does transmutation look to be too powerful? At-will polymorph into any animal as per Major Harmony seems a bit like "all the stinky 'unbathed druid' levels of Wild Shape, without being a druid" and this class isn't supposed to approach the T1-ness of druids.

Amechra
2011-08-20, 09:44 AM
Specialization Harmonies. Some of them are BORKED.

Like Minor Conjuration. You do realize that death deposits you on another plane of existence, right?

So you might want to go through the lists and ask yourself if they're really balanced.

Other than that, a note that said that the bound Arcanist treats them as a familiar for the purpose of feats and spells would be lovely. Combat Familiar and Spellbound Familiar come to mind as fun options.

It might also be a good idea to give this guy an effective "range", outside of which his powers are diminished. Remember, a Familiar only shares spells within 30'...

All in all, I like it conceptually.

NeoSeraphi
2011-08-20, 09:53 AM
I think it's pretty funny. I can picture like a wizard convention, where a few guys in robes are standing around, one with a toad on his shoulder, one with a cat rubbing against his leg, and a third guy walks up with an orc on a leash.

(This class really reflects how the party wizard views the party fighter, so I'm glad you made it)

Quick note, since the Arcana Knight will clearly be in combat much more often than a familiar, perhaps you should limit or remove the XP loss to the wizard if the Arcana Knight dies?

Cipher Stars
2011-08-20, 10:08 AM
I think it's pretty funny. I can picture like a wizard convention, where a few guys in robes are standing around, one with a toad on his shoulder, one with a cat rubbing against his leg, and a third guy walks up with an orc on a leash.

(This class really reflects how the party wizard views the party fighter, so I'm glad you made it)

Quick note, since the Arcana Knight will clearly be in combat much more often than a familiar, perhaps you should limit or remove the XP loss to the wizard if the Arcana Knight dies?

The next Tristalt game I play I have to have to have one.

Cat-Burglar/Katgurl///Arcana Knight///Gish

Groverfield
2011-08-20, 04:37 PM
Specialization Harmonies. Some of them are BORKED.
Good points, I knew that this was going to be a problem...

Like Minor Conjuration. You do realize that death deposits you on another plane of existence, right?
Death of either one temporarily dissolves the familiar-type bond, so it removes the Arcana Knight from giving that ability to the dead wizard to summon his Knight to (or from) an afterlife plane. If there's something I missed, or am just not understanding about its implications, I'd like to know. I was more worried about the Moderate Conjuration overenabling uberchargers.

So you might want to go through the lists and ask yourself if they're really balanced.
I kinda have a bad eye for balance... I'm not sure whether or not the nat AC adjustment is unbalancing, and I figured the less useful in combat harmonies would be more useful out of combat. I'll look over the harmonies again.

Other than that, a note that said that the bound Arcanist treats them as a familiar for the purpose of feats and spells would be lovely. Combat Familiar and Spellbound Familiar come to mind as fun options.
I do kinda see the point for Spell-Linked Familiar, though Arcane Channelling should take care of the Combat Familiar prerequisite to it.

It might also be a good idea to give this guy an effective "range", outside of which his powers are diminished. Remember, a Familiar only shares spells within 30'...
Good point, fixing immediately.

All in all, I like it conceptually.
Thanks, I'll try to balance it out for you, but it'll more likely take the form of buffing some of the less balanced options, and only slight nerfs to the more powerful ones.

I will make note of no exp loss for the caster for his Arcana Knight's death - as written right now the wizard wouldn't, but when I write in that the Arcana Knight counts as a familiar, I think it will need that written in.

The next Tristalt game I play I have to have to have one.

Cat-Burglar/Katgurl///Arcana Knight///Gish

Hmm, I haven't fully read through the Gish class on this page, but if you're going to count yourself as your own familiar... I don't know if you could do that as it's written... but as a DM I wouldn't allow it, then I would suggest something along the lines of "Nothing would stop you from being an Arcana Knight///Spellcaster///something else, and having another Arcana Knight///Spellcaster///something else, and both of you are bound to each other. Would fit a sort of lethal twins sort of deal." I might need to write some conditions in where "Multiclassed Arcana Knights cannot be bound to themselves" to prevent 1-level dips in normal games.

Cipher Stars
2011-08-20, 05:05 PM
Hmm, I haven't fully read through the Gish class on this page, but if you're going to count yourself as your own familiar... I don't know if you could do that as it's written... but as a DM I wouldn't allow it, then I would suggest something along the lines of "Nothing would stop you from being an Arcana Knight///Spellcaster///something else, and having another Arcana Knight///Spellcaster///something else, and both of you are bound to each other. Would fit a sort of lethal twins sort of deal." I might need to write some conditions in where "Multiclassed Arcana Knights cannot be bound to themselves" to prevent 1-level dips in normal games.

hm? Gish was a class, and my character would be more Solstream/invoking Druid/Moonblessed or something.
The Katgurl//Arcanaknight//gish being the arcana knight-familiar.

Maraxus1
2011-08-20, 07:25 PM
(...)
Remember, a Familiar only shares spells within 30'...
Actually, it's 5 ft. for "sharing"

But also:
Additionally, the master may cast a spell with a target of "You" on his familiar (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.

So what part is now replaced by 30 ft.: The sharing (the wizard turns invisible and his familiar with him) or the instead-casting (The wizard casts Bear's endurance but effects his pseudodragon-familiar with it, who is currently fly-by delivering his sleep-poison along the enemies)?

The more I see it, the less I like this "Tier" system, as it seams to be an all-round excuse to make classes that are not the wizard almost as overpowered as the wizard is on the last 4 levels.

Good BAB, all-good saves, Imp. Evasion and Mettle, spell resistance, 10+level. There you have a solid class that is fair and balanced, good at what it does although not very flexible.
Now you give big bonuses (10 natural armor) and abilities.
Well, they are not that bad, only a single one is overpowered in itself, so basically in an unreasonable min/maxed group, it will likely fit in, even it played straight.

The only overpowered in itself ability I spotted is:
"When the ArcanaKnight has a temporary hit points reserve, he gains half that amount to attack, and that amount to damage."
Remember, that (unless otherwise noted as in the minor Necromancer ability) temporary hit points from multiple sources stack.
At 12th level thanks to the spell-bond Necromancer and a friendly cleric this could be:

Maximized false life: 20
Maximized Vampiric Touch: 36
Aid: ~14
Heroes’ Feast: ~10
=~80

Now usually you would not afford a maximized vampiric touch as a preparation spell (especially since you probably need a summon monster 3 or Nat. Ally 2 in order to take the HPs from someone.)
But with +40 to attacks and +80 to damage, the party will do that in any combat preparation.

Groverfield
2011-08-21, 05:50 AM
Actually, it's 5 ft. for "sharing"

But also:
Additionally, the master may cast a spell with a target of "You" on his familiar (as a touch range spell) instead of on himself.

So what part is now replaced by 30 ft.: The sharing (the wizard turns invisible and his familiar with him) or the instead-casting (The wizard casts Bear's endurance but effects his pseudodragon-familiar with it, who is currently fly-by delivering his sleep-poison along the enemies)?
Yes, I originally forgot to mention range at all, so it was implied unlimited range. I don't see this as too gamebreaking, most buff spells have a short range, the only low level cheese you'll see is someone with a 2H weapon gaining a +4 shield bonus to AC, (and unfortunately Alter Self,) and at endgame, he'll share timestops, but without the ability to attack during timestops, he gets to reposition himself, or other minor things.

The more I see it, the less I like this "Tier" system, as it seams to be an all-round excuse to make classes that are not the wizard almost as overpowered as the wizard is on the last 4 levels.
I was aiming this to be about equal with a blaster sorcerer, except maybe a bit less powerful and inflexible due to "gotta stay with it for the scaling level bonuses," kind of thing, not to mention complete dependency on another player for class features to work.

Good BAB, all-good saves, Imp. Evasion and Mettle, spell resistance, 10+level. There you have a solid class that is fair and balanced, good at what it does although not very flexible.
Now you give big bonuses (10 natural armor) and abilities.
Well, they are not that bad, only a single one is overpowered in itself, so basically in an unreasonable min/maxed group, it will likely fit in, even it played straight.
When posted I was thinking of dropping the good reflex save to a bad one, and dropping evasions for something along the lines of "Bound Evasion" where he automatically knows how to dodge against his bound arcanist, and never takes damage from any "Ref Half" spell cast specifically by the bound arcanist. Would that work better?

The only overpowered in itself ability I spotted is:
"When the ArcanaKnight has a temporary hit points reserve, he gains half that amount to attack, and that amount to damage."
Remember, that (unless otherwise noted as in the minor Necromancer ability) temporary hit points from multiple sources stack.
At 12th level thanks to the spell-bond Necromancer and a friendly cleric this could be:

Maximized false life: 20
Maximized Vampiric Touch: 36
Aid: ~14
Heroes’ Feast: ~10
=~80

Now usually you would not afford a maximized vampiric touch as a preparation spell (especially since you probably need a summon monster 3 or Nat. Ally 2 in order to take the HPs from someone.)
But with +40 to attacks and +80 to damage, the party will do that in any combat preparation.

Good point, I should reword that one to tHP gained from minor harmony... I was somewhat imagining that being cheesed differently (through maximizing number of attacks...)

Maraxus1
2011-08-21, 07:29 AM
Yes, I like it and think for the right campaign it should be overall balanced.
I say overall, because I usually don't look at level 20 abilities, because there the balancing has been thrown out of the window anyway. But here, a little intern balancing might be nice:

Abjurer/Diviner/Generalist Wizard: Is treated as an Outsider (Native) and gains DR 20/-
Conjurer/Warmage/Warlock: Gains 60' Darkvision in all forms of darkness. Does not need to eat, or sleep.
Enchanter/Evoker/Sorcerer/Dragonfire Adept: Gains immunity to sleep and poison, and paralysis effects. Gains a +4 bonus to STR, CON, and +2 CHA.
Illusionist/Bard/Beguiler: Becomes partially illusionary. Each attack against the ArcanaKnight has a 50% miss chance.
Necromancer/Dread Necromancer: Gains Moderate Fortification (75% chance to negate extra damage from criticals and precision,) and takes only one quarter ability damage, drain, and penalty. Negative energy heals the ArcanaKnight as if the ArcanaKnight was undead.
Transmuter/Wu Jen: Gains the (Shapechanger) subtype, and gains +2 attack and +4 damage with all natural weapons.
Let me try to give a power evaluation from "minor, hardly worth mentioning" to "tooo much"

1. Abjurer/Diviner/Generalist Wizard: 10/10
2. Conjurer/Warmage/Warlock: 1/10
3. Enchanter/Evoker/Sorcerer/Dragonfire Adept: 6/10
4. Illusionist/Bard/Beguiler: 5/10 I assume blindsense, blindfighting etc. help against it.
5. Necromancer/Dread Necromancer: 4-5/10
6. Transmuter/Wu Jen: 3/10

With the class up to this point, I think something around 4 to 6 is okay.
6 is definitely worse then 3. "+4/+4 and count as magic for overcoming spell resistance" sounds better. The Necromancer is okay, even with the closed exploitable option at moderate, he still has a slight advantage over the other options through spell harmony, I'd say. so making this slightly weaker does not matter. It depends much on the campaign anyway.

But then there are Numbers 1 and 2.
And Abjurer/Diviner/Generalist with 20 damage reduction is way, way above darkvision. - Okay, darkvision vs. magic is not easy to get but also not so huge of a bonus. Since it's Conjurer/Warmage/Warlock, I'd throw in at least 2 energy resistances 5 or one at 10. Fire/cold/electricity 5 each would be okay, too. (In addition to the darkvision and no eat/sleep)
For the Abjurer, I'd say, 10/- would be the top. Maybe 12/adamantine and I think 15/magic would be okay, too (could be good in combination with Anti-magic field but not so much by itself).
This would still be better then that of the others but I guess, since it overwrites the Minor Specialization Harmony, this would be okay.

NeoSeraphi
2011-08-21, 09:51 PM
Hmm...finally I can stat up Mifune from Soul Eater...

Edit: Strange, it looks like your Reflex saves go from good to poor starting at 2nd level...

Groverfield
2011-08-22, 10:18 PM
Yes, I like it and think for the right campaign it should be overall balanced.
I say overall, because I usually don't look at level 20 abilities, because there the balancing has been thrown out of the window anyway. But here, a little intern balancing might be nice:

Abjurer/Diviner/Generalist Wizard: Is treated as an Outsider (Native) and gains DR 20/-
Conjurer/Warmage/Warlock: Gains 60' Darkvision in all forms of darkness. Does not need to eat, or sleep.
Transmuter/Wu Jen: Gains the (Shapechanger) subtype, and gains +2 attack and +4 damage with all natural weapons.
Let me try to give a power evaluation from "minor, hardly worth mentioning" to "tooo much"

1. Abjurer/Diviner/Generalist Wizard: 10/10
2. Conjurer/Warmage/Warlock: 1/10
3. Enchanter/Evoker/Sorcerer/Dragonfire Adept: 6/10
4. Illusionist/Bard/Beguiler: 5/10 I assume blindsense, blindfighting etc. help against it.
5. Necromancer/Dread Necromancer: 4-5/10
6. Transmuter/Wu Jen: 3/10

With the class up to this point, I think something around 4 to 6 is okay.
6 is definitely worse then 3. "+4/+4 and count as magic for overcoming spell resistance" sounds better. The Necromancer is okay, even with the closed exploitable option at moderate, he still has a slight advantage over the other options through spell harmony, I'd say. so making this slightly weaker does not matter. It depends much on the campaign anyway.

But then there are Numbers 1 and 2.
And Abjurer/Diviner/Generalist with 20 damage reduction is way, way above darkvision. - Okay, darkvision vs. magic is not easy to get but also not so huge of a bonus. Since it's Conjurer/Warmage/Warlock, I'd throw in at least 2 energy resistances 5 or one at 10. Fire/cold/electricity 5 each would be okay, too. (In addition to the darkvision and no eat/sleep)
For the Abjurer, I'd say, 10/- would be the top. Maybe 12/adamantine and I think 15/magic would be okay, too (could be good in combination with Anti-magic field but not so much by itself).
This would still be better then that of the others but I guess, since it overwrites the Minor Specialization Harmony, this would be okay.

The 20 capstones were mostly about balancing out the rest of the classes. I might think about retooling the conjuration base, at the moment there isn't much arcane conjuration does except teleport and summon... hmm...

What would you say about conjuration being able to summon a clone of themselves for limited turns per day? I really do not want to give them access to a summon monster 9. Is that what you think about Conjuration versus Abjuration overall? I'm probably going to change it to 15/adamantine, and note that all harmonies are [SU] (and thus stopped by antimagic.) I also like your suggestion of energy resistances, it's quite in tune with what I was going for.

Hmm...finally I can stat up Mifune from Soul Eater...

Edit: Strange, it looks like your Reflex saves go from good to poor starting at 2nd level...

Sorry, it was good, then I edited it to be bad, but I guess I missed level 1...

Edit: @Maraxus1: I originally left out counting as magic in thought that Magic Fang was on the sorcerer/wizard spell list. Silly me...