PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Artificer

mooseofshadows
2011-08-20, 12:10 PM
Hello Playground!

I have a player in a pathfinder game that we're starting that wants to play an artificer. We came into some problems in that there are several non-official classes for artificer, and each seems to have their own brand of broken-ness.

Basically, we run into issues in that we usually run games that are relatively low on money, and most forms of the artificer seem to have a dependence on money to craft things.

I know this is a little abstract, but I'm really just looking for general suggestions. I'd like to have a class that is flavored like a steampunk artificer, but it's difficult to find one that's balanced and fun without taking hours to prepare and play. We're both totally okay with a workaround class that would be something like using a spellcaster that happens to prepare most of his spells into guns or something like that.

Any suggestions? 3.5 and pathfinder are both open, as are homebrew. Let me know if there's anything I left unclear.

Turion
2011-08-20, 01:11 PM
Well, Pathfinder's Ultimate Combat has the Spellslinger archetype for wizards, which involves firing area or ray spells out of guns. Not sure if that's steampunk enough for you, but it may be a start.

Of course, you could always try the standard homebrew artificer conversion: multiply the craft reserve by 6(?) and change it from XP to GP. That would help with money woes, at least to some extent.

Psyren
2011-08-20, 01:14 PM
Low money doesn't really work with PF crafting, because all the XP costs have been replaced with even more money. If your DM isn't willing to adjust things based on that, you should probably pick a different class.

Starbuck_II
2011-08-20, 06:08 PM
Basically, we run into issues in that we usually run games that are relatively low on money, and most forms of the artificer seem to have a dependence on money to craft things.

But 3.5 Artificer only reduces XP not money.
So there should no issue with plugging it in and playing. Changing the XP reserve to a GP reserve for crafting if you want a better convertion.

I know this is a little abstract, but I'm really just looking for general suggestions. I'd like to have a class that is flavored like a steampunk artificer, but it's difficult to find one that's balanced and fun without taking hours to prepare and play. We're both totally okay with a workaround class that would be something like using a spellcaster that happens to prepare most of his spells into guns or something like that.

Any suggestions? 3.5 and pathfinder are both open, as are homebrew. Let me know if there's anything I left unclear.

Otherwise, there is a Gun using Wizard Archetype in Ultimate Combat.