PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever created a RAW Divine Oracle variant?

SoHardToRegiste
2011-08-20, 04:34 PM
adaptation:
The Divine Oracle is designed to work well with both arcane and divine spellcasters; the idea behind the class is that you're getting divine guidance that manifests itself in a number of ways. But it doesn't have to be that way. By adjusting the requirements, you could push the class in a divine or arcane direction. It's also easy to add a requirement that limits it to worshippers of a deity of time, fate or divination.

default requirements:
Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks
Feat: Skill Focus (knowledge [religion])
spells: able to cast 2 divination spells

So does the bold part of the rules suggest that it's equally acceptable to have
-an atheist Wizard that gets all the Divine Oracle prescient and sixth sense powers through arcane study rather than depending on a god to grant them visions at an opportune time?

Maybe the adjusted requirements could look like this:
Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks
Feat: Skill Focus (knowledge [arcana])

I think it might be interesting for a character who is more of an arcane caster to forgo the religion feat + pious roleplaying in favor of a more individualist and research oriented approach.

Is what I'm doing out of line or acceptable by RAW? Has anyone ever created adjusted requirements for the Divine Oracle? If so I'd love to hear your ideas.

Greenish
2011-08-20, 04:44 PM
"Adaption" section is basically suggestions for homebrewing. That has nothing to do with RAW.

Psyren
2011-08-20, 06:24 PM
It's more like a variant than homebrew. Nobody calls Abrupt Jaunt homebrew, yet it's no more official than an Adaptation section is. As long as it's in a WotC sourcebook, it's a rule (even if it's not the base rule.)

Vandicus
2011-08-20, 06:33 PM
Its a lot like arcane swordsage in a way(not necessarily in power level, more in the way that its an adaptation that may or may not be considered a RAW suggestion for a variant).

The Dark Fiddler
2011-08-20, 06:39 PM
I think the difference between a variant and a suggestion for homebrewing/houseruling is how vague the adaptation section is. For example, unarmed swordsage blatantly says to remove light armor proficiency and give a monk's unarmed progression, while this just sorta says, "Yeah, I guess if you wanted to focus it more you could do something..."

Psyren
2011-08-20, 06:40 PM
I think the difference between a variant and a suggestion for homebrewing/houseruling is how vague the adaptation section is. For example, unarmed swordsage blatantly says to remove light armor proficiency and give a monk's unarmed progression, while this just sorta says, "Yeah, I guess if you wanted to focus it more you could do something..."

Agreed, I don't consider this a variant. It's just letting the DM bar it from one type of caster or the other, something s/he can do anyway.

But something like the Anima Priest/Anima Psion (both Anima Mage adaptations, of course) would count as a variant rather than homebrew (though any vestige abilities it would grant would have to be brewed.)

Vandicus
2011-08-20, 06:51 PM
What you really have to ask yourself here is, does the RAW matter in this particular case? Its not that big of a change and not outrageously powerful. If you were the DM, I'd say to allow it. If you were the player(this sounds like its not intended for a game anyways), ask your DM. Unless he's for some reason an extreme stickler for RAW or very restrictive to what he considers balanced, he'd probably allow it.

Lord.Sorasen
2011-08-20, 07:31 PM
So does the bold part of the rules suggest that it's equally acceptable to have
-an atheist Wizard that gets all the Divine Oracle prescient and sixth sense powers through arcane study rather than depending on a god to grant them visions at an opportune time?

Maybe the adjusted requirements could look like this:
Knowledge (arcana) 8 ranks
Feat: Skill Focus (knowledge [arcana])

Well, flavor is always up to you, I figure, and it's not terribly broken. But I'm going to also say the adaptation section does imply divine inspiration, not arcane inspiration, even if it's effecting arcane magic. I'd probably still ask for knowledge (divine) rather than knowledge (arcana).

It's more than just a direction for homebrew though. It's pretty explicit how it would work.