PDA

View Full Version : Npcs, cr, ECL and whatever oh my....

Runestar
2011-08-20, 07:20 PM
A 261 discussion

If you'd never use ECL for an NPC, what exactly is the NPC wealth by level table for?

Maybe this needs it's own topic - it's a fairly complex issue.

I am forking this thread here because I feel it merits additional discussion, and the Q&A thread isn't the best place for protracted debate.

Basically, I believe npc wealth would be based off cr. The reason why sources like the DMG and MIC state character level is likely because they were writing with classed npcs in mind, and these tend to have cr = their class lvs.

For example, a drow wizard10 is cr11 (on paper at least), and should receive 21000gp of gear (as appropriate for a lv11 npc), compared to a human wizard10 npc who would get just 16000gp worth of gear.

ECL would never enter the equation, it is used only for PCs and PCs alone.

As for monsters with class lvs, well, your guess is as good as mine. I have not been able to find one standard rule governing this. It seems to be somewhere in between standard treasure for that cr, and treasure for a classed npc of that cr. This is likely because powerful monsters already come with significant stat bonuses which can replicate the benefits of magic gear. :smallannoyed:

Urpriest
2011-08-20, 07:43 PM
Already a thread on this discussion.