PDA

View Full Version : Sorcerer Loremaster

powerdemon
2011-08-20, 08:20 PM
I have a sorcerer that I'm trying to get into the loremaster PrC. My problem is the two knowledges with 10 ranks requirement.

What options do I have to get 10 ranks a knowledge other than Arcana besides dumping 2 points per rank for CC skills?

I know of a feat called Well Read (or something similar) that makes all knowledge skills class skills. Anything else though?

AmberVael
2011-08-20, 08:26 PM
I believe you're thinking of the "Educated" feat.

Another option is to take the Sorcerer Planar Substitution level, which gives you Knowledge (The Planes) as a bonus skill.

You can also pick up the Apprentice feat (DMG II, page 176) which gives you two new class skills and two skill points (the class skills depend on which mentor you have, read the description to learn more).

Zaq
2011-08-20, 08:32 PM
Educated, as mentioned, gives you all Knowledge skills as class skills forevermore.

Knowledge Devotion gives you only one additional Knowledge skill as a class skill forevermore, but has bonuses on top of it, if you're into that sort of thing.

dextercorvia
2011-08-20, 09:45 PM
I would go with the Apprentice Spellcaster feat. In addition to the Knowledge of your choice, you get UMD, an extra spell know at 1st level and the ability to swap spells every level in addition to the usual with no level restriction except it has to be the same as the one you are swapping for. Now take Mother Cyst which gives you 10 spells known which might not appeal to you. At each level you can swap one for a spell of the appropriate level. If you want to max it out, take a Bloodline feat for 9 more. 3 feats gives you two class skills and 20 additional spells known (spread fairly evenly).

Edit: If this is a High-op game, you can chaos shuffle Mother Cyst and the Bloodline feat away once you have converted all of the spells they give to ones you want.

powerdemon
2011-08-21, 10:07 AM
I believe you're thinking of the "Educated" feat.

That's the one!

Another option is to take the Sorcerer Planar Substitution level, which gives you Knowledge (The Planes) as a bonus feat.

That sounds like my best bet at this point.

You can also pick up the Apprentice feat (DMG II, page 176) which gives you two new class skills and two skill points (the class skills depend on which mentor you have, read the description to learn more).
I'm 17th level so I couldn't get that one...

Knowledge Devotion gives you only one additional Knowledge skill as a class skill forevermore, but has bonuses on top of it, if you're into that sort of thing.
That looks like a good option as well. I like not having to use a feat JUST to get ranks in one skill.

I would go with the Apprentice Spellcaster feat.
Where is this feat? It's not on the wizards list of feats.

Thanks for the tips folks! I love this site :smallbiggrin:

dextercorvia
2011-08-21, 08:31 PM
The Apprentice feat mentioned by Vael is from DMGII. It has Spellcaster as one of the options. That is all I meant. If you are already 17th level though, it is too late.

sreservoir
2011-08-21, 10:25 PM
apprentice only lasts the first five levels, though, so you'll be really strained for skill points at 6 and 7. and it takes a chunk out of your WBL (1400 total, which is actually quite significant at those levels) for your first five levels. if you're high enough level, you might not care, but it does hurt if you start at a low level.

of course, at 5th, you can (at DM's option) trade it out for mentor and that explicitly gets a cohort if you do a bit more work.

I'd much rather go with educated or knowledge devotion, because cohorts tend to be broken in either direction depending DM rulings, but.

dextercorvia
2011-08-21, 11:00 PM
apprentice only lasts the first five levels, though, so you'll be really strained for skill points at 6 and 7. and it takes a chunk out of your WBL (1400 total, which is actually quite significant at those levels) for your first five levels. if you're high enough level, you might not care, but it does hurt if you start at a low level.

of course, at 5th, you can (at DM's option) trade it out for mentor and that explicitly gets a cohort if you do a bit more work.

I'd much rather go with educated or knowledge devotion, because cohorts tend to be broken in either direction depending DM rulings, but.

Except for the skill points, you continue to receive the benefits of the Apprentice feat even after apprenticeship ends. See Surpassing the Master, DMGII, p178.

powerdemon
2011-08-22, 02:06 AM
Thanks for all the tips! I'll be using the planer substitution levels.