PDA

View Full Version : Celestial Beacon

Bloodymango
2011-08-21, 12:44 AM
through my searching of the internet i came a cross a class that i never heard of before. I am currently playing a cleric, and found this class threw an off-shoot of looking at other posts. The class is called the Celestial Beacon, from Tome of Fiends. problem is i never heard of this book. i went to go search for it and all i can find is some guys named trollman and K. The class seems very nice, i will post it at the bottom of the page. so my question to the playground is, is this a real book, who are these two guys, and your thoughts on this PrC and playing home made classes

http://dnd-wiki.org/wiki/Celestial_Beacon_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29

BillyBobJoe
2011-08-21, 12:47 AM
The Tome series are some really well made homebrew for d&d 3.5. Also, it's Frank and K, I believe. I don't think they are print books, but I'm not very familiar with them.

Urpriest
2011-08-21, 12:49 AM
The Tomes are generally very high-powered compared to the directions others prefer. If you're familiar with the Tier system, Frank&K like everything to be around Tier 2, so pretty much everyone is engaging in Rocket Tag. They also generally have a fairly irreverent feel to their work, which can be appropriate for some campaigns but annoying for others. So use at your own risk in other words.

Circle of Life
2011-08-21, 12:52 AM
Do your fighters feel they should be able to slice through reality? (As in, literally slice through it, with a steel sword.)

Use Frank & K.

Do you like your games to not involve rocket tag at every level from 1-20?

Don't use Frank & K.

That's pretty much what it boils down to, though Urpriest said it nicer than I can bring myself to.

Bloodymango
2011-08-21, 12:57 AM
rocket tag ??!!?? *head scratch*

Drachasor
2011-08-21, 12:59 AM

Rocket tag, because when you play tag with rockets whomever gets hit first loses.

FelixG
2011-08-21, 12:59 AM

Tag with rockets

The first person to get hit dies, there is no back and forth, its just one hit KOs all around

OracleofSilence
2011-08-21, 01:00 AM
Its a matter of taste. Some don't like them. I find their commentary more useful then their classes. (mainly on economics and the game).

But yeah. Its more powerful, 'cause they justify, perhaps correctly, that it would take less time to increase the power of other classes so they can compete with core casters then it would to rebalance spellcasting so it is still thematically the same and is not vastly more powerful then an unoptimized fighter. End result? its your call. As I said: i wouldn't use their classes. I would seriously consider their economic, moral, and political idea's.

Big Fau
2011-08-21, 01:19 AM

Ever play Halo? Or Unreal?

Rocket launchers are usually a 1-hit kill in FPSs, and the term "Rocket Tag" refers to everyone using rocket launchers. The person who wins at rocket tag is the person with the best reflexes.

When applied to DnD, it refers to killing everything in the room before they can react. Very easy to do at the high levels, and the Frank&K Tomes are famous for promoting this type of combat.