PDA

View Full Version : The Age Of Worms (3.5) IC Team B

Pages : [1] 2 3

Jair Barik
2011-08-21, 06:41 AM
The Age Of Worms

OOC Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212332)

Since the beginning of history, humanity has measured time in Ages. Ages of Glory, of Dreams, and even of Great Sorrows mark the human tally of years, giving a sense of order to the events of past centuries. Butone age has yet to occur—an age of darkness, of decay, and of writhing doom. Witty bards and wrathful preachers know it as the Age of Worms, weaving it into the peripheries of their passion plays as a mythic era of destruction that could begin at any time. Astrologers, diviners, and the servants of Fate know more. The canniest among them fear that the Age of Worms has already begun.

Idle chatter around the village speaks of a trio of richly dressed adventurers who frequent the taproom of the Feral Dog, Diamond Lake’s most notorious tavern. The confident heroes of the Free City spoke of hard-won battles on their journey to Diamond Lake, and of their intention to explore the longabandoned Stirgenest Cairn on the lake’s distant southeastern shore. You, being natives of Diamond Lake, know that cairn is oft explored by the community’s youth, who always find it completely empty of marvels and perfectly harmless. Not so another cairn within a day’s ride of the village. This cairn lies near an iron mine that went dry about 50 years ago. The mine’s charter lapsed when its manager died a few years later.

Situated in a sort of no-man’s land, the cairn was all but forgotten, its yawning entrance overgrown with weeds and choked with debris. Rediscovered by a curious teenager a decade ago, the cairn has since been a sort of community secret held by Diamond Lake’s youth, who dare each other to disappear into its cyclopean entrance to prove their bravery. Occasionally, when the wind is just right, haunting, almost magical tones emerge from the depths of the forlorn tomb. Those who know of its location call it the Whispering Cairn. If adventurers from the Free City expect to discover hidden passages and riches within the Stirgenest Cairn, it stands to reason that the Whispering Cairn might also hold a genuine opportunity for profit. In the rough-and-tumble mining village of Diamond Lake, where desperate folk slave in dank tunnels to profit wealthy masters, an opportunity for profit is an opportunity to escape.

It is to here that you have travelled with your fellow adventure seekers and townsfolk, just short of a days walk from home. The yawning entrance to the Whispering Cairn is a wide monolith-lined portal partially obscured by underbrush and boulders about 20ft wide. Not much to look at from the outside, but then if it was something more grandious and impressive it would likely have been thoroughly looted many years ago.

Lokio
2011-08-21, 01:08 PM
Ser Perry diCarto was tired.

There was no other way to describe it. Days in Diamond Lake had taken their toll - it was nowhere near as comfortable as his father's manor, and he had not had to actually walk in battle for years. Normally, he rode his warhorse, Courage. But Lord Edrio diCarto would have none of that -- "his son could not be looking too much like nobleman", he said in his thick, accented speech. So Perry walked, heavy custom banded mail weighing him down the entire way.

His companions seemed like amiable enough rogues, he supposed as they trudged. Nowhere near as amiable as the girls in the Veiled Corridor, though. He smiled at that thought and pulled out a wineskin, finding it empty. He wanted wine more than anybody could imagine... but alas, there were none to be had. So, it was water. Bloody water.

Throughout all of this, his face remained handsomely stoic, his perfect goatee covering part of a classic firm jaw and lips that were pressed into a line. Stoic. He certainly wouldn't want to reveal any of his weaknesses to his companions. To them, he was the noble son, the educated warrior - and his task was to protect them from harm.

As they approached, he said, "I think this is the place. We should decide what to do... go in, or set up camp until tomorrow? Personally I like incursions - would not want any noctournal beasties to come out and find a midnight snack sleeping at the gate, hmm?"

Keld Denar
2011-08-21, 01:47 PM
Par

A visible tremble encompasses the small frame of the gnome at the sight of the yawning cave mouth. The rock outcroppings looked more like teeth in the eyes of the gnome.

I bet there'll be snakes in there. My third uncle once removed Darvin von Foodle was bit by a snake once. He didn't survive...

dathom
2011-08-21, 07:49 PM
Borden's slim form, in contrast to Perry's rigid posture, energetically glides around the tired warrior as he says, "Right you are Perry, this indeed is the place. As for whether to go in or camp out, I am eager to see what this place has for us. The sooner we enter, the faster we can uncover any secrets it might still hold." Borden, though not as physically build as the impressive Perry, is none-the-less still full of energy. It was Borden after all who led the group to this Cairn and it was evident that he was expecting to find something wonderful inside.

Those who work among the entertainment of the Emporium know of Borden's skill as an acrobat and often saw the young man juggle his trademark daggers with skill and precision. However, those who work with the lad also know he doesn't always think things through before he acts. In the end though, the rogue has a good heart and many of the Emporium employees were proud to call him friend and student.

In response to Par's statement, Borden simply says, "Don't worry Par, I'm sure the snakes around here aren't poisonous. And even you aren't small enough to warrant a snake's attention."

Smith, John
2011-08-21, 08:23 PM
Don will stumble along to catch up with the party, easily the least physically impressive of the bunch. Not nearly as strong as the armored Perry or as fluid as Borden, all he had to boast was his girth.

Nobody... told me... marching in armor was hard. Bah.

After a moment to stop and catch his breath he'll continue.
This is most definitely it. I've seen countless artists renditionings of this, there is no mistaking it. I vote we head in immediately, after a quick break to rest. I don't suppose anyone has any drink left to share?

And, right you are Borden. I've seen men and, erm, gnomes, here that have suffered from cave ins, black lung, bar fights, wolves, and other assorted violence, but I've never seen a man poisoned by a snake. You need not worry. Infact, I didn't even prepare magic to resist poison today.

Lokio
2011-08-21, 09:54 PM
range"][/COLOR]Perry nods. "Okay. Well, I'll lead, if you want to stand next to me, good scout. Leave twenty feet between the front rank and the rear so any adversaries cannot pass." His knowledge of combat strategy leads him to say this confidently as he draws his weapons and prepares to enter. "Some light on me would be lovely, brother."

Once that's done, he heads in.

Ooc: will change to orange for speech when I get home, posting by phone and colors don't work

Tevin
2011-08-21, 10:07 PM
Kardin makes his way up to the yawning cave-mouth just behind his fellow intrepid soon-to-be spelunkers. He runs a one stubby fingered hand over his neatly braided beard as he approaches the rest who are gathering around the vine choked entrance.

"Sure is big..." he says to no one in particular. It's obvious that Kardin didn't grow up in a tradtional dwarven setting, his speech lacked any of the obvious dwarven accent. Quickly reaching into his pack Kardin pulls out the water skin and hands it to the cleric, Don. "Go ahead but don't drink it all, we don't know if there's any drinkable water nearby. A trip back to town could really cost us some time and I'm curious about this place. It seems forgotten, surely someone would have hacked down this overgrowth if any major excavations took place lately. As for resting, I say we take a look around inside first, we may find a spot more suitable to rest than out here in the cold."

With a quick motion and a whispered invocation in some arcane tongue, Kardin steps forwards, pushing the foliage to the side and entering through the yawning cave mouth. "I can see in the dark friend, maybe I should go first. Just follow close behind while I take a quick look around." he says to Perry as his stalky form disappears behind the vegetation.

Cast Draconic Knowledge on myself.

Lokio
2011-08-21, 10:11 PM
Perry raises an eyebrow. "Forgive me, ser, but I'm not going in there in the dark. That makes little tactical sense. If you wish to scout and lure things to us, that could work, but there's no reason to not light our way.""

dathom
2011-08-21, 10:29 PM
Nodding in agreement, Borden says, "I agree with Perry on that one. It would be better if everyone can see where they were walking. Let me see what I can find." With that, Borden rummages through his backpack. A few moments later, he pulls out a small tube which he strikes aainst a nearby rock. Upon contact, the tip begins to glow with enough light to push back darkness of the cave. Handing the stick out to Perry, Borden says, "Here ya go!"

Tevin
2011-08-21, 10:35 PM
Turning to regard Perry with his raised eyebrow Kardin speaks; "I wasn't suggesting that you not take a light source. I've found that my inherent vision is typically keener than most mundane light sources. If I have somehow offended you with my suggestion, I'm sorry. You can lead the way if you wish." Kardin takes a step to the side to allow Perry to pass.

Lokio
2011-08-21, 10:49 PM
"My mistake friend. I was just concerned for your safety. There could be danger." He holds the firestick in his shield hand (hand is free to hold) and prepares to enter. "If you feel confident that you will be safe, then please, go ahead. If you'd prefer I block shots, the trapfinder and I will lead." He smiles.

Tevin
2011-08-21, 10:59 PM
"Well, we don't really know that there's anything in there but dust and empty rooms but if you're convinced there's danger afoot lead the way."

Kardin reaches to the dark leather belt holding up his plain doeskin breeches and unsheathes his dagger. The dagger is mostly for show as Kardin hasn't had the need to use it against anything before.

Lokio
2011-08-21, 11:06 PM
"A place like this is perfect for all manner of creatures. Always better to be prepared than to be caught flatfooted, yes?" He smiles his playboy smile. "Shall we be off, then?"

Smith, John
2011-08-22, 12:33 AM
Don takes a large sip and passes the waterskin back to Kardin.
Thank you, but we needn't be worried. What we should be worried about is running out of drink. You are a dwarf, you understand. Water out of the air, firmly within my powers. Water into wine, we are not so lucky.

While the others discuss the lighting situation, he'll step out of the way and offer a muttered prayer to Wee Jas, ending with a simpleLet me live through this venture.

Of course, I also have magical lighting if required, but I'd rather save that for more dire circumstances. However, I have my own mundane source of illumination, if you don't mind. Assuming no one objects, he'll step up to borrow the torch to light his bulls eye lantern. Incredibly sophisticated device this, I can't believe I found one out here in your town.

With his shield in one hand, his lantern in the other, and a gleam in his eye,
Now, I'm ready to explore.

Don will step up and flash the light of his lantern into the entrance.

Spot [roll0]

Lokio
2011-08-22, 01:47 AM
Perry shrugs, raises his shield and morningstar, and leads the way in, motioning the others to follow him. He beckons the rogue up and anyone who is a meleeist, but whispers, "Mages and ranged warriors, you may want to stand back. Melee, spread out... I'll hold the centre. Nobody should get past us if something does come." His tone is polite, but firm, the sign of a trained (even if somewhat inexperienced) combat commander.

dathom
2011-08-22, 02:05 AM
Noting Don has his own light source, Borden shrugs as he drops the light sunrod, knowing that some of the skills he learned at the Emporium were better suited to low light situations. As such, taking point, Borden moves into the cave, staying in the shadowy regions of the lanterns light to that he can still see where he was treading.

Sneaking rolls
Hide:[roll0]
MS:[roll1]

Jair Barik
2011-08-22, 02:16 AM
Natural light dimly illuminates a long hallway extending north into darkness. A faint breeze brings with it sibilant whispers that sound almost like sighing breath. It must be a trick of the wind, but the effect is almost lifelike.

The walls bear horizontal bands of deceptively simple geometric patterns at waist level. In places the bands reveal startling detail, but in others the walls look as though they have been hacked apart with weapons or eroded by the rigors of time. Flakes of ancient paint, brilliant purple and a dull mustard hue, still cling to the walls in places, hinting
at what must once have been a riot of color. A thin coat of dust coats the floor.

Just inside the darkened tomb, the hallway branches into shallow alcoves to the east and west. Here the walls bear the most significant damage. Dozens of clumsy etchings mar the beautiful ancient masonry like graffiti on a city wall. A clump of soiled cloth about the size of a halfling rests in the rounded terminus of the western alcove. Outside, the wind picks up, and a chorus of almost human sounds rises from the darkened hall.

Up ahead somewhere further off down the passage everyone but Don can make out a vaguely flickering green light, at this distance impossible to make out in any real detail.

Lokio
2011-08-22, 02:22 AM
Perry moves in next to the rogue, moving forward. He whispers, "Keep an eye out and listen..."
Listen [roll0]

He continues down the hallway, weapons at the ready, listening and looking for any dangers. He has an action readied to swing at any enemy if any should appear.

"I know I may appear paranoid... but I don't trust dark caves."

Jair Barik
2011-08-22, 02:32 AM
Looking towards the light you note that the tunnel continues onwards another 20ft or so from these alcoves before branching. The main tunnel appears to continue on into the darkness towards the green light whilst two side passages, each the same width as the main one, branch off to the left and right.

(OOC: So, do you guys want to decide on a marching order in the OOC?)

Smith, John
2011-08-22, 07:04 AM
Unfortunately for Don, holding the light reveals how badly he is shaking.
You know, I think it might be better if I stayed in the back. As a rear guard of sorts. You wouldn't want any snakes to come from outside and get our gnome, would you? I'm sure you agree with me Par, its best for everyone if I stayed right here.

However, his voice calms considerably once he views the designs etched on the walls. Fascinating. If you wouldn't mind waiting for a second...
Without waiting for an answer, he'll step into the western alcove. He'll trace the patterns on the wall with his gloved fingers for a second, shine his light on the soiled cloth, prod it with his foot, then pick it up to examine it.

Knowledge History [roll0] to get an idea how old this place is. Either from previous textbook knowledge or recognizing the style of the masonry.

Jair Barik
2011-08-22, 07:38 AM
Examining the patterened bands Don finds thin hollow tubes hidden amongst the patternwork. The strange whispers filling these halls seem to emit from the tubes. From the look of things the tubes likely extend to the surface, emrging from the earth on top of the cairn. As they catch the wind they cause the whispering noises within.

Poking the blanket he finds it to be empty.

@Smith, John

Whilst he may have seen a few sketches of the cairns from people around town there aren't actually any books on the subject. What is for certain though is that this place is very old indeed, likely predating most cultures you have studied before.

Tevin
2011-08-22, 08:46 AM
Kardin also takes a cursory glance at the time worn frescoes adorning the walls before moving up to the intersection ahead. He looks to his left and right, his darkvision extending 60 feet in either direction.

Knowledge check for the wall paintings:
Draconic Knowledge lets me make all knowledge checks untrained with a +6 bonus; [roll0] Add +3 if Knowledge Arcana is applicable, +4 if Knowledge History is applicable.

Smith, John
2011-08-22, 08:53 AM
Incredible....

Anyways, carry on.

The light is much more steady now as the party marches down the hallway.

Jair Barik
2011-08-22, 10:34 AM
Kardin gathers no further information from the frescoes.

The western hall extends perhaps forty feet, ending at a small marble platform raised about six inches off the floor. A strange, shattered arcane apparatus rests upon this platform, its curved ovular frame giving the appearance of a noble’s dressing mirror. Only a third of this frame remains.

Fifteen feet down the east passage, a huge pile of collapsed rubble blocks the alcove from top to bottom. It looks like it would take weeks to tunnel through the densely packed debris.

Tevin
2011-08-22, 12:07 PM
"Ooh, what's that?" Kardin exclaims as he quickly moves down the western hall toward the arcane apparatus. He begins to examine the strange looking device, making sure not to touch it until he has some idea of what it might be used for or rather what is was used for before it was broken.

Knowledge Arcana [roll0]

Jair Barik
2011-08-22, 12:16 PM
An unusual arcane glyph about the size of a man’s head has been delicately carved into the baseplate of the support platform.
The glyph doesn’t seem to be formed from a common alphabet, although they are reminiscent of arcane symbols representing elemental air. The glyph appears to represent a name, likely referring to a single individual.

Lokio
2011-08-22, 12:20 PM
Perry is keeping an eye out for danger, listening for incoming. He has no particular knowledge or interest in the arcane...

Listen [roll0]

Keld Denar
2011-08-23, 12:35 AM
Par

Glancing sidelong at the aparatus, Par keeps a vigilant eye out for snakes while holding his lantern aloft (or as aloft as a 3' gnome can lift).

dathom
2011-08-23, 01:03 AM
Borden also takes up a position in the shadows to the cooridor. Silently drawing a dagger from his boot, he waits for Kardin to finish his investigation. Though he has received some training on the use of magical devices, his knowledge does not extend to such strange apparati. Moreover, he was here to find something he could sell so that he could escape his bleak life in Diamond Lake, not research something that would just keep him in the corrupt mining town for longer.

Smith, John
2011-08-23, 01:48 AM
Don will approach the device.

Hmm, arcane? Not my area of exertise. Still...

His voice trails off as he digs through his bag for a stick of chalk. He'll carefully redraw the symbol on the wall, committing it to memory.

Once we've made certain the lack of danger in this hole, I'd like to comb over every inch of this place searching for lingering magic. However this might have to be a mystery for another time, we've still got ground to cover.

Don will again assume his position at the back of the party, ready to look through that promising center tunnel.

Lokio
2011-08-23, 01:51 AM
If the party is ready, Perry suggests they assume their positions and move forward. As they do that, Perry is ready to swing at anything that may come.

Jair Barik
2011-08-24, 04:47 AM
The central hallway opens into a large chamber with wings leading to the east and west. Across the chamber to the north yawns a twenty-foot-wide open arch draped from top to bottom in translucent cobwebs. An eerie green light flickers from beyond the webs, casting strange shadows about this room. The place smells of animal spoor and wet fur.

The sibilant, almost human whispers present in the passage become a chorus in this massive chamber, eerily echoingoff the walls.

Before you can really examine any of the chamber in detail you spot a group of three wolves bearing down on you from the eastern passage. Two of the mangy curs look as if they haven’t eaten in days, the third wolf is a little larger than the others and does not look hungry in the least. A straight line of scar tissue bisects its face from forehead to muzzle. The beasts eagerly charge into your front ranks with teeth bared. The first rams into Borden but cannot find purchase on his flesh. The other two charge at perry who manages to strike a wounding blow on the larger beast which in return cannot penetrate his armour. The last wolf however manages to sink its teeth into his flesh (5 damage) but fails to pull him to the ground.

Initiative order-Everyone but Perry goes next.

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/hungergames1-15.pngBrown is the caved in area, blur indicates a passage that you can't see the end of, coloured dots respond to name/speach colour.

[roll0] [roll1]

If enemy win initiative
[roll2] [roll3][roll4] [roll5]
[roll6]v [roll7]
[roll8] [roll9][roll10] [roll11]
[roll12]v [roll13]
[roll14] [roll15][roll16] [roll17]
[roll18]v [roll19]

[roll20] [roll21] [roll22] [roll23]

Lokio
2011-08-24, 05:30 AM
Dodge, diCarto! Incoming!

Perry deftly swings his morningstar at the big, nasty wolf as it comes loping in, teeth bared. It makes a disgusting 'splorch' as the pointy spike and blunt ball mash into the large wolf's face. He dodges the counter-attack, then grunts in pain as the creature's smaller friend tears into his leg at the weak joint in his armor. Looks like that chomp could've been a lot worse if it had just been a little more accurate...

Shaking the teeth of the wolf free, he calls out, "If you can't control the smaller ones, get this big beast down!"

Keld Denar
2011-08-24, 12:00 PM
Par

Par, still shaking from the shock of the huge wolves appearing, takes a couple steps forward and lifts his hands. Hypnotic swirling colors project from his hands, rushing past Perry and engulfing the two wolves on the right. A really close look at the color pattern reveals a flight of dragon silhouettes within rolling and diving and banking and flying in chaotic fashion across a swirling background.

Move 10' to J12 and casting color spray. Its a 15' cone, which is abstracted in a straight line as a 5' square in front of you, 2x 5' squares in front of that, and 3x 5' squares in front of that. I'll hit J11, I10, J10, H9, I9, and J9, if that makes sense. It hits both wolves on the right and misses Perry.

Will Save DC is 16 (11 + 3 Int + 1 Gnome + 1 Spell Focus).

Jair Barik
2011-08-24, 12:28 PM
As the colours hit the wolves both collapse to the ground.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Smith, John
2011-08-24, 06:39 PM
Wolves. Why did it have to be wolves? They're so... pedestrian. Typical. Not what I expected in this ancient and unnatural place.

And what does he mean control the small ones? Damn it Perry, I'm a cleric not a druid.

Don steps up to interpose himself between the final standing wolf and the non armored casters. With a dark incantation he gathers his and his companions palpable fear of this place, concentrates it, and channels it into the wolf.

Move to H13, and cast Cause Fear.
DC 15 Will Save
[roll0] rounds of fright if it fails
Shaken for one round if it succeeds.

dathom
2011-08-24, 07:23 PM
Narrowly dodging the wolf's bite, Borden slashes out at the wolf in front of him, doing his best to fend of the hungry beast.

Attack:[roll0] damage:[roll1]

dathom
2011-08-24, 07:24 PM
Confirm crit and damage rolls:
[roll0] damage:[roll1]

Jair Barik
2011-08-25, 03:41 AM
The dagger sinks into the flank of the wolf as it barks angrily at Don.

[roll0]

Lokio
2011-08-25, 05:43 AM
Run this action whenever it's needed, I'm a bit confused about when my turn is -- if it's slightly before the wolves, or after due to the readied action.

Perry shifts five feet over to the still-awake wolf and swings with his morningstar and shield in a heavily practised combination. "Down, dog!" he shouts, his blood streaming down the leg of his armor.

Morningstar attack [roll0] damage [roll1]
Shield bash [roll2] damage [roll3]

Jair Barik
2011-08-25, 05:54 AM
Kardin steps forwards and breathes a wave of flames over the remaining wolf. The poor creature fails completely to dodge this and is engulfed suffering severe burns. It still stands though and leaps up onto Borden and savages his face (6 damage) its teeth finding a purchase in soft flesh. Perry then moves in to strike at it with his weapons but the creature ducks beneath the mace and then sidesteps the shield.

Initiative-You guys (except Perry who already posted his action for the round)

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/hungergames1-16.png

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3] [roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7][/spoiler]

Smith, John
2011-08-25, 07:48 AM
Don will step over the wolfs fallen pack members and circle behind the it, shouting and waving his mace as he does.

I probably can't hit this thing, but I bet they can. If I can just get it to look away for a second...

Don moves to G9 without drawing any AOO.
He doesn't get an attack this round, but he sets up flank and sneak attack for our party rogue.

dathom
2011-08-25, 11:59 AM
"Ahhh! Get off me you mangy mutt!" Borden shouts as he lashes out at the wolf with his dagger, blood trailing down his arm as he does.

Flanking bonus included in attack roll. Attack:[roll0] Damage:[roll1] Sneak Damage:[roll2]

Jair Barik
2011-08-25, 05:33 PM
Borden swings at the wolf but it manages to slide beneath his attack frothing at the mouth in its hunger.

Keld Denar
2011-08-25, 06:43 PM
Par

Par takes a step forward, draws his crossbow and begins to load it.

5' step forward, move action to draw the crossbow and standard action to load it.

Jair Barik
2011-08-26, 03:41 PM
Kardin moves in to the gap by the wolf and breathes forth another burst of flames which causes the beast to finally slump to the ground dead.

(Party is now out of initiative and may act freely)

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]

Lokio
2011-08-26, 04:37 PM
Perry wastes no time, going up to the large wolf that is unconscious, lining up the morningstar spikes and smashing its brains in until it is dead.

He then does the same with the small wolf.

Coup de grace: auto hit, auto crit
Damage [roll0]
Damage [roll1]
Damage [roll2]
Damage [roll3]
Damage [roll4]
Damage [roll5]
Damage [roll6]
Damage [roll7]
Damage [roll8]

Apply to relevant targets as allowed/needed.

Once the opponents are good and dead, he wipes his weapons off on their fur and checks his wounds. "Pelor's breath... everybody okay? Can we get a medic?"

Jair Barik
2011-08-26, 04:55 PM
The wolves are quickly dispatched in their unconscious state.

(everyone is awarded 180xp)

Keld Denar
2011-08-26, 05:10 PM
Par

Winded from the "exertion", Par yawns lazily. Glad you guys were able to handle that. That was scary!

Smith, John
2011-08-26, 07:45 PM
Pelor? Wrong god my friend. However, I believe I can be of assistance as a medic. Borden, your wounds are more pressing. I think we can all agree we don't want you scared up like our dinner over there.

Don steps up and examines the wound. He closes his eyes, and with a quick prayer glowing energy flows through his hands and onto the wound. Blood flows back in, skin regrows, and color returns to the face.

Good as new. Your turn Perry.

He'll repeat the process on the wounded leg.

Hmm. Thats problematic.

He'll frown, then shoot two small sparks of positive energy into Perry's leg.

Spontaneously changing Command and Bless to CLW
Borden:
Perry: [roll1]

And changing Guidance and Light into CMW. 2 more points of healing

Spot check [ROLL]1d20+4

With that done, Don will stand up and move to the center of the room. He'll shine his light down the hallway in both directs, look up at the ceiling, and of course exam anything else of interest in the room.

Lokio
2011-08-26, 08:07 PM
Perry smiles. "Good as new."

He says, "Perhaps we should head outside and set up camp. Typically, setting up camp inside a dungeon is dangerous... moreso, I'd say, than being outside. We don't know what comes in and out of here at night."

If the party agrees, Perry will lead them outside to set up camp a bit of a ways out from the entrance for a night's rest. He also volunteers to take first watch.

dathom
2011-08-27, 03:28 AM
Amazed by Don's skill in mending wounds, Borden thanks the cleric before wiping his dagger off on the wolf's unmarred fur. To Perry's idea, Borden simply says, "Well, if you think that we hafta, then lead the way. However, I got plenty of energy to go on."

Jair Barik
2011-08-27, 03:36 AM
Across the chamber to the north yawns a twenty-foot-wide open arch draped from top to bottom in translucent cobwebs. An eerie green light flickers from beyond the webs, casting strange shadows about this room. To the west, three short stairs lead to a wide marble dais, but the far end of the wing is obscured by darkness. Huge slabs of cracked masonry and irregular piles of scattered debris choke the eastern wing, giving the appearance of complete collapse.

Lokio
2011-08-27, 03:51 AM
Perry insists gently. "We may have plenty of energy left as warriors, but it's going to be late in the day... and our cleric won't have tons of heat left after that. We may be greviously hurt and find ourselves attacked in the middle of the night with no healing magic left... and that could get someone killed."

Smith, John
2011-08-27, 08:03 AM
Fine fine. We won't venture any deeper. Just... allow us a moment to study this, would you?

Don glances back at Par and Kardin.

I believe this is where we earn our keep. Any ideas on the light?

Smith, John
2011-08-29, 01:01 AM
Don will approach the flickering light. With the last of today's power, he calls upon Wee Jas to understand this mystery before him.

What do we have here...

To the group:

Be ready to move back to the mirror, I'd like to examine that one last time before we make camp.

Cast Detect Magic, study anything glowing for three rounds. Then move back to the mirror we saw previously and study that (if time permits). I'm mostly looking for strength and school of magic here.

Also, sorry to double post.

Jair Barik
2011-08-29, 01:24 AM
Focusing on the green light it seems it is out of range of Don's magical detection powers and so he must push on through the spider webs.

A wide stairway descends into an immense domed chamber. Seven short tunnels branch from he room in all directions, extending some thirty feet before ending in rounded walls. At the terminus of each passage, a thick chain dangles from an unseen high ceiling. Five of the chains bear colorful lanterns, but two hold nothing at all. Opposite the entry stairs, a bright green lantern containing what looks like a torch casts a weird, murky light about the room. Countless chips of glass and shiny metal inset into the chamber’s domed ceiling reflect this light, giving the impression of starlight and falling snow. The dome starts about ten feet off the ground and reaches an apex about thirty feet over the center of the room.

Below the dome’s peak, a long dais holds what appears to be a marble sarcophagus. A milky white bas-relief figure, perhaps of a human, rests passively upon the sarcophagus lid. Unlike the rest of the tomb, this room is completely silent.

Focusing his magic upon the torch Don detects a faint magical aura of an unkown school of magic.
[roll0]

Smith, John
2011-08-29, 03:50 AM
Exhausted without any divine magic left in his body, Don seems to shrink.

I've never seen anything I like it... I just don't know.

He steps back from the stairs.

No immediate danger to be seen, but I am also unable to identify the lingering magic. Look if you want, but I am spent for the day. I suggest we take Perry's advice and rest for the night.

Lokio
2011-08-29, 04:23 AM
Perry leads them to set up camp and offers to take first watch.

Jair Barik
2011-08-29, 05:08 AM
Resting for the night you are not disturbed and awake the next morning.

Smith, John
2011-08-29, 07:38 AM
Don will wake up slightly earlier than the rest of the party for his morning prayers.

When finished, he'll shoot a spark of positive energy to Borden.

Spell List
0:
CmW
Detect Magic
Light

1:
Lesser Vigor
Protection from Evil
Cause Fear-Domain

Keld Denar
2011-08-29, 08:46 AM
Par

Prior to resting, Par takes his own look around, aided by magic.

Cast Detect Magic and look at stuffs.
[roll0]

Jair Barik
2011-08-29, 10:20 AM
The torch radiates a faint evocation aura under Par's magical vision.

Keld Denar
2011-08-29, 12:07 PM
Par

Jumping comically a couple of times in an effort to reach the lantern with the magical glow, Par summons Perry over to the lantern. I think this one is enchanted with magic that will never go out. It might be something worth taking with us.

What do you guys think above the sarcophogus? Do you think its cursed, or should we see if the dead were left with anything that might prove useful to us?

Smith, John
2011-08-29, 10:29 PM
I have no qualms over disturbing the dead. However, it would probably be prudent to save that particular item for last. I highly doubt it is going anywhere.

He points to the two empty chains.

To me, that is much more ominous. Something is missing from the pattern, and that is always troublesome. I'd say we search the rest of the cairn for answers before we move into this chamber.

With a small grin,However, I can't help but wonder, what kinds of metal would you put in a hero's tomb? I'm willing to bet there is something to be found here, even if it just the scraps left in the ceiling.

dathom
2011-08-29, 11:27 PM
"It don't seem so ominous ta me. Just some fancy lanterns that whoever was here before forgot ta loot." With that, Borden marches into the room with the dais, and simply stands there a moment, just to prove his point.

Lokio
2011-08-30, 12:19 AM
Perry picks up the lantern and offers it to someone who doesn't use both hands to fight. "Okay. Shall we continue?"

If nobody objects, he reforms them into a tighter arrangement (so that its front rank then ten feet behind is mages then ten feet behind them is the cleric) and continues on the way.

Jair Barik
2011-08-30, 03:51 AM
Examining the sarcophagus in closer detail Par will note a number of things. The lid bears a white stone relief of a tall figure cloaked in a simple garment of flowing cloth. It’s difficult to say why, exactly, but the outfit conjures thoughts of ancient times. The figure at first looks human, but a cursory examination reveals that it is about 7 feet tall, is completely hairless, and is of indeterminate sex. Its arms and hands rest at its side. The left hand curls upon itself in a fist, but the right is placed palm up, with the thumb turned in and all but the index finger held parallel to the arm. The index finger is broken off and missing. The figure wears a scarab-like amulet around its neck, inscribed with a rune similar to that you encountered earlier. The sarcophagus rests upon a small raised platform carved in the shape of a stylistic arrow, with the tip aligned with the head of the relief figure upon the lid and a short “shaft” extending from the foot of the sarcophagus.

Headed to the western passage that ends in the dias Borden gets a better look of the tunnel. The wide dais spanning the back half of the western wing calls attention to a faded fresco upon the south, west, and north walls. From a vantage point at the center of the dais, the wall painting makes it look like you stand within a massive room with seven short hallways radiating outward from a central point. A chain dangles from the ceiling at the end of each hallway, and each chain bears a gleaming colored lantern. Clockwise, the colors are red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet.

Removing the green lantern in the sarcophagus room causes nothing untoward to happen.

Lokio
2011-08-30, 04:16 AM
Sorry, the green lantern we just picked up was one of several?

Perry looks at the sarcophagus and the statue. He looks specifically at the hand. That hand is, or was before its finger was broken, pointing. What is it pointing at?" He notes that the hand is pointing backwards from the arrow...

"This man is pointing backwards."

He leans on the sarcophagus, taking 20 to search it to see if it has any ability to move/open/anything like that. (Search is 22.) Specifically, he's curious as to if the sarcophagus can turn to make it so that the man points in the direction of the arrow, but generally speaking he's looking for mobility.

Jair Barik
2011-08-30, 04:26 AM
(the green lantern is one of 5 in this room, it is the only one lit. The other room with the dias has pictures but no real lanterns)

The green lantern is completely unwieldly and impractical to use in the offhand during combat. The source of light however is a torch inside and could easily be removed for use.

The lid of the sarcophagus appears as though it would push off with suitable force. The main sarchopagus however cannot be removed from its base in order to align the finger with the arrow. Closer inspection of the arrow itself though reveals that it is lifted off of the ground by a small amount and it appears as though the entire sarcophagus (arrow and all) could with enough effort be moved to point in different directions by pushing on the arrow's 'shaft'.

Lokio
2011-08-30, 04:31 AM
Perry reports this and says, "Borden, how are you at trapfinding? Two things happen with this -- the sarcophagus opens. But there's also the fact that this entire sarcophagus can spin to point in different directions. Can you check this out to see if there are any traps? Because if it's clear, I'm curious about what happens if I spin it."

He ensures that someone other than him has the green lantern and the torch and keeps his shield and morningstar at the ready. He stands back and waves everyone else back while the rogue works in case of poison gas, etc.

Smith, John
2011-08-30, 04:49 AM
Far too dreary in here. If you don't mind me adding to the illusion of grandeur this place...

Don will replace the green lantern, and go about the room lighting the other lanterns, using the torch from the green lantern and some of his oil if no other fuel is obvious.

Jair Barik
2011-08-30, 05:28 AM
Without any fuel the oil is indeed needed to light the different lanterns. Once lit however the light that emenates from each comes in a different colour despite the oil being mundane.

In total there are eight passages (including the one you entered).
Starting at 12 o clock these are as follows.
The glowing green lantern now re-attatched.
A glowing blue lantern.
An empty chain.
A glowing violet lantern.
The entrance tunnel.
An empty chain.
A glowing orange lantern.
A glowing yellow lantern.

Smith, John
2011-08-30, 06:29 AM
Its obviously not the oil. Then is it the lantern or the location?

Don will try:

Removing the green lantern to see if it loses color.

Placing the green lantern on the chain between the blue and violet ones.

Taking the torch out of the green lantern, and casting Light in its place.

Jair Barik
2011-08-30, 11:05 AM
None of these tests alters the lamps colour. It does seem to suggest though that colour comes from the light playing off of the material of the lamp.

Lokio
2011-08-30, 05:19 PM
Perry looks around. "So, eight tunnels, two of which seem to be lacking their respective lanterns. And a sarcophagus that can point at them. We should check this sarcophagus for anything inside after our dear trapfinder can take a look at it... and then go look around to see what else we can find."

Keld Denar
2011-08-31, 11:13 PM
Par

It looks like some sort of puzzle. I suggest we check the other pathway before we try to tackle it, in case we missed some kind of clue.

dathom
2011-09-01, 01:08 AM
Returning to the group, Borden comments, "Par is right I think. The mural shows seven lanterns, but we only got five. Looks like we need ta find a few missing laterns before this puzzle is solved though."

With that, Borden heads over to the sarcophagus and begins looking over the coffin for any secrets or traps it might hide.

@Jair
I supplied a Disable roll just in case a trap is found.
Search:[roll0]
Disable Device:[roll1]

Jair Barik
2011-09-01, 02:40 AM
Checking the sarcophagus over Borden finds no traps.

Lokio
2011-09-01, 05:13 AM
Perry heads back down the hallway where they came and looks into the first pile of rubble (which I presume is on the left). Taking a couple of minutes to sift through it, he looks for any items or anything of note.

Taking 20 on the search of the first rubble pile - for 22 total.

Jair Barik
2011-09-01, 03:27 PM
Headed down the passage that the wolves came from Perry finds what appears to be a marble index finger cracked off a statue. Also a hole in the rubble leads on into a small cavern hollowed out on the other side of the cave in that looks as though it is the wolves den.

(from your description I was uncertain precisely which passage you wanted to check so I assume you mean the one you haven't checked yet)

Keld Denar
2011-09-01, 03:32 PM
Par

Par examines the hole, wondering if his smaller frame could wriggle through it.

Jair Barik
2011-09-01, 03:34 PM
A person of dwarf size or larger would need to squeeze but Par has little trouble getting in. The far side of the rubble is rank with the smell of wild animals. Irregular piles of rubble litter the den, as do hundreds of bones and bone fragments from the creatures’ past meals. Most of these belong to animals, but a few are unmistakably human. There are no other exits out of the den.

Keld Denar
2011-09-01, 03:49 PM
Par

Holding his lantern outward, Par looks through the debris for anything of value, shiney or otherwise.

Take 20 on search for a 23 total, unless its something that having a keen nose would help find.

Jair Barik
2011-09-01, 03:52 PM
Performing a thorough search of the den Par finds two interesting things. First of all beneath a pile of bones in the northern area of the den he finds an old leather backpack. Inside of this is an elaborate lantern of indigo metal inset with indigo glass panes. After this he finds an intricately carved armband of unmistakable elven craftsmanship, bearing a repeating leaf motif on the opposite side of the den.

Lokio
2011-09-01, 03:52 PM
Perry picks up the finger. "Guess we found our stone buddy's pointer finger... what's in there, Par?"

Keld Denar
2011-09-01, 04:24 PM
Par

Par stuffs the armbands into the pack. Twisting around, he drags the pack out through the hole. Opening it up, he lifts the indigo lamp up to the others. I think this one is supposed to go on one of those chains? If I know anything about rainbows (and I do know a lot about rainbows), indigo goes somewhere between blue and violet.

Maybe we should hang it on the chain? That only leaves one empty option to point the sarcophogus to, as well.

Lokio
2011-09-01, 04:26 PM
Perry says, "I'll bet there's another somewhere." He picks a different untravelled path to peek down, the one opposite this rubble pile.

Keld Denar
2011-09-01, 04:29 PM
Par

A red one perhaps?

Jair Barik
2011-09-02, 03:43 AM
At this point all of the passages have been travelled down. The initial two (the one with the ruined apparatus and the one with the impassable rubble).

The second two passage have now also been explored (the one with the fresco of the sarcophagi room and the one with the wolf den).

The final passage (the central one) has lead you to the sarcophagus room.

Smith, John
2011-09-02, 07:04 AM
Maybe the final lantern was buried with our hero? Don will suggest.

dathom
2011-09-03, 02:13 PM
The whole time the others were off exploring the wolf lair, Borden continues to analyze the sarcophagus. Starting from the point where they first noticed the raised portion, Borden begins to test it to see if the sarcophagus can be moved. Applying what strength he could, Borden will try until the others return when he says, "I didn't find anything dangerous around the coffin, but is is weird that it is raised like it is. Maybe we can move it to make something happen?"

Strength Check to move coffin:[roll0]

Jair Barik
2011-09-03, 02:29 PM
Are you trying to push it clockwise or anti clockwise and how far do you want to push it?

dathom
2011-09-03, 03:43 PM
OOC: Borden would try to push the raised portion so the head of the coffin is pointing towards the nearest passage that has a lantern or chain hanging at the end of it. Whether that is clockwise or counterclockwise, that depends on which direction the nearest passage is in relation to the head.

Jair Barik
2011-09-03, 03:57 PM
Currently pointing at the orange lantern Borden takes hold of the arrow's 'shaft' and tries pushing it anticlockwise to the empty chain next to it. The sarcophagus refuses to budge though. Pushing it clockwise though he is just about strong enough to move it so the arrow points towards the yellow lantern. As he moves it there is a clicking sound as it comes to rest facing the yellow lantern and a great rumbling from beneath the chamber fills the air as the circular stone beneath the yellow lantern raises eight feet into the air pushed up by a 5-foot-diameter metal cylinder that seems to arise from the ground itself. Seconds after it comes to a rest, two thin doors slide into the sides of the cylinder, revealing a small empty chamber.

Smith, John
2011-09-05, 07:56 PM
Did you hear that?

Don will hurry back to the chamber.

Fascinating. Why didn't I think of that before. Lets see what other surprises this tomb holds for us. Anyone want to step in the tube?

Lokio
2011-09-06, 11:44 AM
Perry raises an eyebrow and lights a torch. "I could..."

Keld Denar
2011-09-06, 12:02 PM
Par

Being a gnome, I can tell you from experience that sticking any part of your body into a dark hole is generally non-condusive to retention of that part. It might be a better idea to take a look before diving in. Par takes his lantern over to the newly revealed alcove and takes a look around.

Jair Barik
2011-09-06, 12:19 PM
The sides of the tube are smooth metal with no features whatsoever. In its open state the cylinder appears to be an empty chamber without any other exit.

Smith, John
2011-09-06, 04:01 PM
Hmm. That might be true Par.

A rather morbid thought, but let us put a wolf corpses down. It won't detect any, say, poison gasses that might be lying beneath us, but it would certainly reveal any sorts of crushing, tearing, burning, or melting agents beneath. That and the meat will reveal any subterranean creatures looking for a meal.

And, it allows us to ascertain the fact that we can recall anyone who ventures below.

Don will drag the largest wolf corpse to the tube, and lay it in. He'll then point the sarcophagus back to its original location, wait a moment, then bring return it to its new direction.

Jair Barik
2011-09-06, 04:12 PM
As the wolf's corpse is placed inside the doors slide shut and the cylinder descends into the ground. It doesn't come back up. Attempting to move the sarcophagus to face its origional position you find that it stubbornly refuses to move anti-clockwise.

Smith, John
2011-09-06, 04:19 PM
Huh. Good thing we didn't put you in there Perry.

Lokio
2011-09-06, 06:07 PM
Perry raises an eyebrow. "No doubt..."

Smith, John
2011-09-06, 07:23 PM
Don will attempt to push the sarcophagus clockwise again.

Lokio
2011-09-06, 07:42 PM
Perry takes 20 on the sarcophagus and spins it.

dathom
2011-09-06, 08:23 PM
Looking on with interest as the others go about their tests, Borden frowns for a moment when they see that the sarcophagus won't go back to its previous position. I sure hope we can find out where that rising and falling contraption leads, the rogue thinks to himself as the others try to bring the elevator back up.

Jair Barik
2011-09-07, 12:48 PM
Finding no traps the group manages to push the sarcophagus clockwise as it points at the green lantern a cacophonous creaking of stone against stone emerges from the ground below the green lantern filling the air.

Keld Denar
2011-09-07, 12:59 PM
Par

Par again examines the area, just the same as the last area.

Jair Barik
2011-09-07, 02:34 PM
The grinding and rumbling noises continue as Par moves across to examine. (if you are doing a search check are you rolling, take 20, take 10?)

Par can feel the ground shaking beneath his feet.

Lokio
2011-09-07, 03:03 PM
Perry narrows his eyes, listening for the particulars of the sound.

Listen [roll0]

Smith, John
2011-09-07, 08:30 PM
Don will stay next to the sarcophagus, looking around to see if anything in the room changes.

Spot: [roll0]

dathom
2011-09-07, 11:01 PM
Hearing the creaking and groaning sounds coming from below, Borden slips a dagger from his boot as he looks around nervously. "That doesn't sound too good."

Jair Barik
2011-09-08, 04:04 AM
Kardin the dwarf also moves over and stands on the top of the circle to get a better look. His weight doesn't really seem to effect it in the least and for a brief moment it looks as if the stone circle begins to rise up like the previous one. It does this for only the briefest of moments though as the grinding suddenly comes to a halt with a mighty cracking noise and the stone circle collapses back into the ground, ripping in two as it does so and sending loud echoing crashes and bangs back up the hole that it leaves and into the room above. These noises are intermingled with the screams of Kardin who falls down the hole with the lift and finally come to an end with a great wet thump like the sound of a lump of meat hitting the ground from a great height.

@Keld and smith,john
Listening carefully you can make out the skittering sound of insects coming up the shaft that has been left by the collapse of the lift apparatus.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Smith, John
2011-09-08, 05:16 PM
Don jumps back onto the sarcophagus.

Damn it Kardin, don't be dead.

He takes a step forward to attempt to attend to the wounded, then suddenly stops and draws his mace.

Do you hear that? Some-things are moving down there. Sounds like.... roaches? Spiders?

He holds his ground for the moment.

Lokio
2011-09-08, 05:29 PM
Perry narrows his eyes and says, "Insects... many insects. Use fire." He lights a second torch and offers it to one of the meleeists.

Is Kardin dead now then? Was that us getting rid of him?

As well, I did a specific listen check.

Perry has his torch equipped.

dathom
2011-09-09, 01:52 AM
Hearing Kardin's scream, Borden springs into action, rushing towards the spot of his fall. However, upon hearing Perry's warning, he comes to a stop, dagger out. Preparing himself for what might come out of the hole, Borden mentally thumbs through the items in his backpack before deciding to stay close to the sarcophagus with his dagger ready.

Lokio
2011-09-09, 02:18 AM
Perry says, "Stand back!" He takes out a pair of cannisters of lantern oil and splashes them out on the ground in a line, waiting for whatever comes up. When the insects souund one round awayy,, he will drop the second torch to light the fire and stand back, ready to attack whatever comes.

Keld Denar
2011-09-09, 10:30 AM
Par

Bugs...why did it have to be bugs...

Par backs away from the sound.

Jair Barik
2011-09-09, 11:18 AM
Par can withdraw away from the hole and Perry has time to light up a pair of torches but before he can pull out his oil a fountain of beetles bursts from the shaft and swarms across the ground towards the party leaving a trail of yellow liquid in their wake, a light steam curling off of it. They clamber up and over Borden (5 damage) biting his flesh and dripping the yellow liquid on their skin causing it to blister and burn. After the swarm is clear of the hole a thin spiked leg clambers up the lip of the hole followed by a small round body with little more than a single large eyeball composing it. In total six fast moving skittering legs extend from the creatures body and it clambers towards you its gaze fixed on Borden.

@Lokio

You get an attack of opportunity against the swarm as it enters your square. Also I noticed your listen check but it failed to hear the swarm at that point as it wasn't moving. I then made a second listen check for you when the swarm began moving. This failed. Please do not look at spoilers not marked for you this was mentioned in the first post of the OOC thread.

Initiative- your go. Perry gets an AoO, so do Borden and Don but with their current weapons cannot injure a swarm.

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/hungergames1-20.png

[roll0] v [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5]
[roll6] [roll7]

Lokio
2011-09-09, 12:08 PM
@DM
didn't look. The poster after you tipped us off and I'm smart enough (as is my character) to guess what a bunch of bugs that are loud enough to be audible down a long shaft are. Not a particularly tough guess ;)

Perry takes his AOO and then begins dual wielding the two torches, swinging with both to try to bring the beasties down. He will then five foot shift to O13.

AOO [roll0] dmg [roll1]

Atk 1 [roll2] dmg [roll3]
Atk 2 [roll]1d20[/roll dmg [roll4]

His body whirls as he strikes around him with the torches, a deadly dance that would be hypnotic to watch if it wasn't a life-and-death situation.

Lokio
2011-09-09, 12:10 PM
2nd atk rolls [roll0] dmg [roll1]

Jair Barik
2011-09-09, 12:27 PM
Perry manages to strike the swarm twice with his torches burning a few of its members.

(note Keld is quite right I misread the swarm rules. The swarm occupies M/N 10/11. Only Borden is injured and I rolled a distraction save for him as I forgot that earlier. He passed. Perry doesn't get his AoO and his damage rolls have been rerolled below as you only get d3 for torches, not d4)

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2]

Keld Denar
2011-09-09, 12:29 PM
Par

Taking a step back and away from the swarm, Par intones again quietly.

Suddenly, over near the alcove where larger spider creature emerged, red bricks form in mid air. They fly into lines, stacking themselves quickly over the entrance, thick mortar popping into being between each layer. Soon enough, the entire pathway is bricked up from floor to ceiling.

Anyone who looks back at Par notices that the little gnome is sweating visibly from his forehead and holding two fingers crossed over one another in a symbol to invite luck.

20' move to K17.

Silent Image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/silentImage.htm) of a brick and mortar wall along the line between rows 6 and 7. Insects are technically "Mindless", and mindless creatures typically don't reason particularly well with things like walls. It doesn't get a save unless it interacts with the wall, but whether or not its smart enough to interact with the wall is the main question.

Smith, John
2011-09-11, 04:45 PM
Don stumbles away from the swarm, cursing quietly to himself.

Mace and magic are no good here. Time to improvise.

He hurriedly pulls out a fresh pint flask of oil from its flask and pours it into the heart of the swarm.

Move to M9 and pour the the oil into M10.

You can pour a pint of oil on the ground to cover an area 5 feet square, provided that the surface is smooth. If lit, the oil burns for 2 rounds and deals 1d3 points of fire damage to each creature in the area.

Not too impressive, but we have limited options. I'll get occupy the spider if it comes through the wall, Perry can play with the swarm.

Jair Barik
2011-09-12, 04:01 AM
Borden runs away from the swarm getting clear of it and unable to harm it himself. The swarm then turns on Don, crawling over him and burning his skin with acid and teeth (5 damage). The creature to the north moves up to the wall and extends one limb like a finger and taps it. It then turns round and clicks over to the hole it came from crawling back into it.

Initiative-you guys

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/hungergames1-21.png

[roll0]
[roll1] [roll2]

[roll3] [roll4] v [roll5] [roll6]

Lokio
2011-09-12, 10:36 AM
"Don! Move!" Perry yells, delaying for a moment so he can. Then, the warrior charges, swinging his torch into the part of the swarm that is oiled up to both do damage of his own and light the oil on fire.

[roll0] dmg [roll1]
Dm can roll dmg for lighting swarm on fire.

Jair Barik
2011-09-12, 10:44 AM
The swarm bursts into flame as Perry strikes it but there is still sufficient numbers for them to pose the party a threat.

Smith, John
2011-09-12, 01:30 PM
Don runs from the swarm screaming.

They're under my armor!

However, he does keep the presence of mind to move towards the nearest lantern.

Move to F7.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that is where we left the everburning torch, right? I'd like to be less useless in this fight, eventually.

Lokio
2011-09-12, 01:59 PM
OOC: full round action to light a torch would give you a viable weapon...

Jair Barik
2011-09-12, 02:11 PM
Borden pulls out a flask of alchemists fire and hurls it at the swarm but it misses horribly and only splashes them with its liquid. The swarm then advances on Perry who lands another blow against it (AoO rolled and ht) but there is just about enough to still pose him a threat and they bite and spit at his legs (7 damage).

Initiative-your go

Map
-not that necessary right now. Swarm has moved out of the fire, the passage with the everburning torch is the one blocked by the illusion.

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]

[roll3] [roll4]
[roll5] [roll6] [roll7]
[roll8]

Smith, John
2011-09-12, 02:27 PM
Don calms himself, pulls out yet another flask of oil, and moves back to the fighter's side. He'll splash the oil into the swarm, taking care to not get it on Perry.

Move adjacent to the swarm, pour it in one of the three squares our fighter isn't in.

Lokio
2011-09-12, 03:13 PM
Perry grunts with pain, but recovers. He quickly shifts out of the swarm to flank it (so that it can only move onto him or Don, not both), and swings into it where the oil splashed twice as a full-round action, whirling and swinging two blows with his torches to light the fire and hit the bugs.

[roll0] dmg [roll1]
[roll2] dmg [roll3]

Add +2 to the attacks if flanking is applied.

Jair Barik
2011-09-12, 03:47 PM
Thrusting the torch into the swarm the bugs move aside completely avoiding the attacks but the flames cause the oil to ignite and the remaining beetles either burn to death or scatter for corners of the room, their numbersno longer posing any threat.

Keld Denar
2011-09-12, 03:50 PM
Par

Concentrating on his spell, Par wipes his damp brow. Well, thats a relief. Look alive though, we don't know when the larger bug might be coming back. I have to drop the wall soon.

Lokio
2011-09-12, 04:35 PM
Perry switches to his morningstar and shield, and says, "I'm ready. Could you please mend my wounds so I can hold this beast back more effectively, Brother?"
He positions himself by the illusory wall, taking a total defensive stance in case something comes through.

Smith, John
2011-09-12, 06:02 PM
Don looks around at the burning oil and scattered bugs for a second, as if in shock. Perry's words seem to snap him out of it.

Ah yes. One moment brother.

He closes his eyes, channeling the positive energy through himself directly into himself.

He then moves and lays his hand on Perry's shoulder, before moving on to Borden. It seems to have no effect at first, but eventually the healing energy spreads through Perry's body, fixing him gradually.

When he reaches Borden he frowns. Sorry friend, I am near spent. Your injuries appear the lightest. A small spark flies from Don's finger to Borden. And are even lighter now.

Spontaneously cast CLW on self [roll0]
Cast Lesser Vigor on Perry
CmW on Borden

Lokio
2011-09-12, 06:09 PM
Perry begins healing and says, "When we are all ready, we can drop the wall and lure the creature up with noise and be ready to disable it with our various skills when it pops up."

Keld Denar
2011-09-12, 06:21 PM
Par

Seeing his allies in place, Par relaxes his concentration. The wall melts as if composed of ice cream on a hot day before dispersing into nothingness. Having completed that, Par draws his crossbow and loads it.

dathom
2011-09-13, 02:12 AM
Stepping on he remaining bags ha are around him, Borden looks burned badly as he favors one leg. Muttering about how much he hates cockroaches, he nonetheless moves up with he others, dagger in hand and ready to fight whatever comes their way.

OOC:Sorry for the lack of posting. It was a busy weekend.

Lokio
2011-09-13, 11:14 AM
With that, Perry whistles and calls, "Here, little bug... Come play with my morningstar." He winks at the others.

Jair Barik
2011-09-13, 02:30 PM
The casting can be completed in peace as even after Perry's vicous taunting the creature is neither seen nor heard.

Smith, John
2011-09-13, 02:34 PM
If nothing continues to happen, Don will sit down.

I need to rest, I over exerted myself there. I doubt that I'll be able to summon forth even another drop of divine energy today.

Keld Denar
2011-09-13, 02:37 PM
Par

Par taps his foot impatiently at Don. We'll never get anywhere if we stop every couple minutes.

Lokio
2011-09-15, 12:29 PM
Perry shrugs. "Better prepared and alive than unprepared and... well, like Kardin." He sighs and looks rather unhappy.

Smith, John
2011-09-15, 01:41 PM
Don stands up. Truthfully, I'm not so highly impressed with our rate of progression either.

Do you wish to attempt to recover Kardin's body, see if there is any chance he is still alive, or just head back to the camp now?

Smith, John
2011-09-16, 01:59 PM
Perry, you want to look down the hole and see if anyone, or anything is still moving down there?

Lokio
2011-09-16, 02:00 PM
Perry blinks twice. "Not really... if you were a lurking bug who could climb shafts, wouldn't you wait to see if someone peeked over so you could throw them down into your lair?"

Keld Denar
2011-09-16, 02:24 PM
Par

Well, we need to figure out what to do. Do you really want to explore down the hole with creepy crawly doom? Or should we try to spin the sarcophogus again and see whats behind door number three?

Smith, John
2011-09-16, 02:30 PM
Hmm. Sadly, I know very little about bugs, but they seemed to be fooled by the previous illusion. Par, could you send a fake Perry to look over the edge and draw out any lurking dangers?

He'll add. Though as much as I hate leaving a dwarf behind, it might be for the best. 'Door number three' as you put it could open an alternate path to him.

Keld Denar
2011-09-16, 02:35 PM
Par

Errrmm...do not take me for a conjourer of cheap tricks. Besides, while it would look like you, it wouldn't sound like you or smell like you. I doubt it would even get noticed. Plus, the whole "me staring down into the darkness to control the image and getting my face eaten off by a lurking critter" part.
Yes, that was just a LotR reference.

Smith, John
2011-09-16, 03:35 PM
Really? No one is willing to sacrifice their lives to check on Kardin? Fine, lets give the sarcophagus another turn.

dathom
2011-09-17, 05:49 PM
He had just recently gotten to know the fire breathing dwarf, however, Borden didn't like the idea of dying in someone elses tomb and being left there. Therefore, Borden pipes in with, "I don;t know about you guys, but I would hate to be left in someone else's tomb. He might have family back in town that might miss him. If no oneelse is willing to go down, then I will head down and see how the dwarf is doing. If anything, we can make sure he really is dead before deciding to leave him here." With that, Borden goes rummaging through his pack for a moment or two before stopping and looking at the group. "So, anyone got some rope?

Lokio
2011-09-17, 06:20 PM
Perry stops Borden. "That creature is down there. I'll at least help you if you're that committed to going down there."

Smith, John
2011-09-21, 07:33 AM
Well, are you going to check or not? You two move slower than me. We should just turn the sarcophagus again and get on with it.

As he says this, Don moves back over to the sarcophagus, and readies himself to push.

dathom
2011-09-22, 12:26 AM
"Well, if no ones got a rop, I'll guess I'll just have to work my way down without one.? With that, Borden will toss one of the lit torches down the hole in preparation to look down into the darkness below. However, having learned his lesson, in his right hand he grips his dagger cautously, ready to strike out as anything that might come out of the hole.

Keld Denar
2011-09-22, 12:38 AM
Par

Par keeps his crossbow loaded, peering ahead past Borden.

Lokio
2011-09-22, 12:47 AM
"Borden. Seriously. He's dead. That monster is down there, and it clearly climbs far better than us. Let it go."

Keld Denar
2011-09-22, 01:32 AM
Par

Par finally speaks up. Where?

Smith, John
2011-09-22, 04:18 PM
Don finishes digging through his pack, and pulls out a 50ft length of hemp rope.

Sorry, 'twas buried deep in the pack. Here you are.

Lokio
2011-09-22, 04:25 PM
Perry sighs. "You're not going alone. I'll lead the way."

Jair Barik
2011-09-22, 04:32 PM
The torch falls some distance landing at the bottom of the hole about 60ft down and casting some illumination upon a chamber. From your position you can barely make out any details bar the wreckage of a contraption directly beneath you. The sides of the hole are rough and so offer decent grip to anyone attempting to climb down.

Smith, John
2011-09-22, 04:52 PM
Don will stand at the edge and shine his bulls-eye lantern into the pit, both searching for Kardin's body as well as hidden dangers.

Lokio
2011-09-22, 05:54 PM
Perry ties down one side of the rope and wraps the other around his waist, rappelling down the shaft.

When he lands, he raises his morningstar and shield, which were still in hand - he repelled using his open shield hand.

Let me know which rolls you need for rappelling/lowering myself using a rapelling rope.

dathom
2011-09-22, 09:12 PM
After Perry is on the ground below, Borden grips the rope and begins to slide down it.

Taking 10 on a climb check for 11

Jair Barik
2011-09-23, 03:59 AM
Rappling down Perry emerges into a room with dozens of bas-relief figures similar to the one on the sarcophagus lid in the room above staring disapprovingly from the walls. Many sport crossed arms and stern expressions. A few of the statues’ heads are missing, and some have huge chunks torn out of them. Others have a weird melted appearance, as if they’d been sprayed by something terrible. A large glyph that looks like a stylized arrow points down a short corridor to the north that leads to a four-way intersection. Borden is shortly behind him but before the rogue can arrive the eyeball with legs skitters out of the shadows and slashes at Perry with one of it's limbs, scraping harmlessly off of his armour.

(Initiative is yours. Players can exit the shaft at either M4 or N4. Borden can exit as a full round action this turn other players will have to climb down or jump down. Perry is at the ground floor. The shaft is 70ft long. 50ft of this is the passage but the last 20ft if in the room and so only has one wall instead of walls completely surrounding it. Players at the top of the shaft can't see the creature.)

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/hungergames1-25.png

[roll0] [roll1]
[roll2] [roll3] [roll4] [roll5]

Lokio
2011-09-23, 10:37 AM
"Heads up, one on me!" Perry yells, swinging back at the creature with morningstar and a mighty shield slam. He shifts to M5.

morningstar atk [roll0] dmg [roll1]
Shield [roll2] dmg [roll3]

Jair Barik
2011-09-23, 12:06 PM
The creature drops flat beneath the morningstar's swinging blow but then recieves a shield blow to the face causing a little blood to drip from around its eye. This does not deter it though and it still looks fighting fit.

dathom
2011-09-23, 12:16 PM
Hearing Perry's shout of warning, Borden focuses on descending, glad the warrir had decided to descend first. Reaching the bottom, Borden immediately goes on the defensive, moving to draw his dagger once he spots the strange eyeball creature.

Round action to get to N4

Lokio
2011-09-23, 04:30 PM
Perry says, "Tumble around, flank this thing!", indicating with his finger a position where he intends to move on his next turn.

Keld Denar
2011-09-26, 12:19 AM
Par

Par stands at the top of the hole, peering down. I can't see anything. What is going on down there. Should we drop down?

Lokio
2011-09-26, 12:35 AM
Perry yells, "YES! Climb down, float down, whatever!"

Jair Barik
2011-09-26, 03:48 AM
The creature spins wildly around striking both Perry (4 damage) and Borden (3 damage).

Initiative-you guys

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/hungergames1-26.png

[roll0] [roll1]vP
[roll2] [roll3]

Lokio
2011-09-26, 08:38 AM
Perry grunts in pain. He moves to flank and swings twice.

morningstar [roll0] dmg [roll1]
Shield slam [roll2] dmg [roll3]

Jair Barik
2011-09-26, 09:35 AM
Both blows connect to the creature leaving bloody gashes in its flesh but still it continues to stand.

(OOC:Why are you healing from vigor? That spell would have ended by now)

dathom
2011-09-27, 02:53 AM
Grunting as the creature's surprisingly sharp arm cuts across Borden's arm, the rogue, seeing that Perry already moved into flanking position, strikes out at the creature with his dagger.

Attack:[roll0] +2 already added for flanking
Damage:[roll1] Sneak Damage:[roll2]

Jair Barik
2011-09-27, 04:10 AM
Dodging Borden's attack the creature spins again and strikes both of you once more, its legs digging deep as they rake across your flesh (6 damage to Perry, 5 damage to Borden).

your initiative

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3]
[roll4] [roll5] [roll6] [roll7]

Lokio
2011-09-27, 10:24 AM
Perry begins to look sick and incredibly injured...

He roars his defiance as he swings in again, noting what a poor choice this was.

OOC: Borden... Don't miss.

Jair Barik
2011-09-27, 11:20 AM
The creature teeters on its limbs and looks from the unconscious Borden to Perry and Back. It then takes a swing at Perry pentrating his armour again (2 damage) before collapsing into uncosciousness.

Everyone gains 225 xp

(By my count Borden has taken 12 damage to day and only been healed for 1 of it so he is at -3 and bleeding)

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2] [roll3]

Lokio
2011-09-27, 11:42 AM
Ooc: aannd Perry is at 1.

"Don! Get down here! Borden's down!"

Perry ignores his own wounds and, IF IT WOULD NOT HURT BORDEN TO TRY, he drops to his knees and begins to try to staunch the bleeding.

untrained heal [roll0]

Edit: that looks successful. If it is he'll go coup de grace the unconscious beastie.

Jair Barik
2011-09-27, 12:07 PM
Perry stabalises Borden then finishes off the unconscious creature. The dead body's organs are certainly not traditional and so whatever it was it seems unlikely that it was a spider.

With battle ended Perry finally has a chance to notice the skeleton of the late Kardin on the ground. The flesh and belongings of the late dwarf dissolved into almost nothing and traces of the yellow acid from the bugs upstairs still smeared on his remains.

Lokio
2011-09-27, 12:11 PM
"Nerull's member..." Perry swears, wretching a little. He doubles over and vomits on the ground at the sight of the body. What had started as a fun family-sanctioned exercise in whoring and fighting had just gotten real.

Wiping his mouth, he looks around the room for any loot, probing around ahead of him with his trusty ten foot pole. If he encounters anything strange, he'll stop moving.

Jair Barik
2011-09-27, 12:46 PM
Perry finds nothing else of interest in the chamber. All of Kardin's belongings have been damaged beyond repair or value.

Smith, John
2011-09-27, 12:52 PM
Don quickly hurries down the pit, holding on tightly to the rope. It is not a graceful decent, but it is quick.

Once he lands, he rushes over to Borden.

Well, it seems you bound the wounds adequately. He won't be getting better, but he won't be getting worse either. We need to get him out of here. He looks up at Perry and you too it seems. Its a wonder you're still walking. I'd rather not bandage you here, we don't know what other types of creatures could still be lurking. Do you think you can manage the climb on your own?

Take ten on the climb for a total of six.
I realize bandaging Perry will have no effect, but it feels like it would be the right thing to do.

Lokio
2011-09-27, 01:01 PM
Perry nods and begins removing his armor to make the climb back up easier. "I'll be okay." Don can likely tell that he is decidedly not okay.

Perry wraps rope gingerly around Borden's fallen form and knots it, using his blankets to cushion the injured rogue. He carries the man to beneath the entrance and ties that rope to his waist.

He thinks for a moment about Borden's weight. If he's able to do it safely, Perry takes ten on the climb check for 13 and will climb back up, hauling Borden in his little stretcher/carrier unit to the top as well.

Jair Barik
2011-09-27, 01:13 PM
Perry climbs back up but can only haul Borden up once he is at the top of the tunnel. It is not too long though before the entire party is assembled in the sarcophagus room again.

Smith, John
2011-09-27, 01:25 PM
Once they are back in the sarcophagus room, Don bandages Perry and Borden wounds. It might not be magic, but it'll help until Wee Jas deems me ready for more power.

He then unties the knot in the rope and coils it back up, putting it back in his pack.

Finally, he smashes a piece of chalk and spreads the dust along the lip of the pit. Its not much by the way of a trap, but we'll be able to see if the creatures come crawling out at night.

With that, he helps carry Borden back to the entrance.

Taking 10 on a Heal Check for a total of 16 to provide long term care for the two of them.
Based on what he saw, he'll attempt to identify the creature.
Knowledge Religion: [roll0]
Knowledge History : [roll1]

Jair Barik
2011-09-27, 01:27 PM
Don has no recollection of any such creatures existing from his studies.

Lokio
2011-09-27, 01:34 PM
Perry limps back to the front, helping to carry Borden. Once they set up camp, he falls on his face on his blankets. "Two days. One to get us healed. The next to get your spells. Okay?"
Then he falls asleep quickly.

Smith, John
2011-09-27, 01:51 PM
Hmm. You say that as if my spells weren't whats keeping you healed now.

Nevertheless, it is understood.

Assuming the night is uneventful:
With a full day of rest, everyone gets 4 points due to long term care. Add on one Lesser Vigor each and the two front liners are healed a total of 15 points each. 0th level spells create water, mend armor, and purify old food.

Assuming the second night is uneventful:
Spells
0:Light
Detect Magic
Guidance

1: Lesser Vigor
Protection from Evil
Domain: Cause Fear

Jair Barik
2011-09-27, 01:58 PM
The nights of resting are uneventful. This close to town there is little of any threat.

Lokio
2011-09-27, 02:08 PM
Perry spends the majority of the two days prone. On the morning of the second day, he rises, eats breakfast and throws his armor on, looking a heck of a lot more chipper.

"Oy! Let's go hit things and find treasure!" he calls.

Smith, John
2011-09-27, 02:14 PM
Well then. Despite the dangers, I feel as though we should continue. Giving the dead their due is central to my faith, I need to recover the dwarf's body. And personally, I'd like to recover the body of that creature to study it more.

Keld Denar
2011-09-27, 02:15 PM
Par

Par passes the time trying to keep the others amused with minor displays of flying dragons and other misc illusions.

Lokio
2011-09-27, 02:15 PM
Perry leads the way back in and climbs down with his rope, recovering the bones of Kardin and bringing them back up to the priest.

Smith, John
2011-09-27, 02:59 PM
Don gingerly sets the bones aside.

I didn't know him well enough to know if he had family. However, knowing what I do of him, I believe he'd be at peace with a pyre built for him. We can attend to that tonight.

Jair Barik
2011-09-27, 03:41 PM
Recovering the bones you note that the chalk line at the top of the chute is undisturbed. The bones however have been stripped completely clean as has the body of the creature. All that remains are a pair of skeletons.

Lokio
2011-09-27, 04:18 PM
Perry sighs and says, "Okay. I'm going to take care of this whole sarcophagus thing now so we can get over the burning curiosity." He waves everybody off. Once everyone is thirty or more feet back, he ducks below the lid and levers it upward from a prone position using his ten foot pole, taking cover against the side, just in case something comes flying out.

I'm trying to take cover against the bottom and lever it up in case gas or explosions or darts come flying out, if that will help me in any way.

Borden doesn't look like much of a searcher...

Jair Barik
2011-09-27, 04:36 PM
As Perry opens the sarcophagus flames fly out of it. He dodges the worst of them but is burnt all the same (2 damage). Looking inside it the sarcophagus is completely empty.

[roll0] [roll1]

Lokio
2011-09-27, 04:42 PM
Perry smirks, slightly singed. "Borden, kindly take more time next time." He then turns the sarcophagus, taking 20 to push it to the next position.

Jair Barik
2011-09-27, 04:59 PM
As the sarcophagus comes to rest facing the blue lantern nothing happens.

Lokio
2011-09-27, 05:00 PM
Perry narrows his eyes and heads toward the blue path, looking down it to see what's there.

Jair Barik
2011-09-27, 05:18 PM
Like the other passages it consists of a stone circle on the ground and a lantern attatched to a chain. The chain rises up into the darkness.

Lokio
2011-09-27, 05:19 PM
He narrows his eyes and decides to speed this along, looking down each of the hallways they haven't attended to get a list of what the features are.

Jair Barik
2011-09-27, 05:30 PM
The remaining tunnels have an empty hook, a violet lantern, another empty hook and an orange lantern (the tunnel the sarcophagus initially pointed at).

(OOC: you didn't do anything with the lantern you found did you?)

Also something I forgot...

Fallen by the wall beneath the blue lantern is a skeleton.

Lokio
2011-09-27, 06:56 PM
Perry takes the lantern they found and puts it in the empty position that helps makes the ROYGBIV setup of the rainbow. I believe we found indigo, so we'll put that on the indigo chain and light it.

Smith, John
2011-09-27, 07:43 PM
An empty tomb. Now why would that be? I hope it is simply grave robbers like us.

While Perry replaces the indigo lantern Don sets the missing finger from the sarcophagus back in its intend place, making a mental note to mend it later.

He then proceeds to examine the skeleton by the blue lantern.

Taking 10 on Heal Check used as an autopsy? I suppose you could replace it with whatever skill seems to be a better fit. I'm just looking for the type of damage that killed this person. Whether he was gnawed by wolves, chopped by swords, pummeled by zombies, ect.

Jair Barik
2011-09-28, 04:03 AM
Placing the finger back on the statue causes nothing to happen. Examining the skeleton Don cannot determine the cause of death.

(OOC: Lantern was already placed earlier, if you are lighting it then what with?)

Smith, John
2011-09-28, 09:24 AM
Don will again provide a pint of oil to split between the lanterns.

Keld Denar
2011-09-28, 10:24 AM
Par

Par drops his pack and pulls out additional oil if needed.

Jair Barik
2011-09-28, 11:29 AM
Split between the 5 unlit lanterns the single flask of oil should burn for around 70 minutes. The light show that is produced by the light flickering through the lanterns is slightly headache inducing.

Lokio
2011-09-28, 12:27 PM
If ALL the lanterns are lit and are in a ROYGBIV rainbow pattern, Perry will spin the sarcophagus to face the eighth, empty spot taking 20 on the strength check.

OOC: Never mind. I think we're still missing one... the red one.

Perry goes over to Don, who is looking at the body, and does a spot check for loot and looks around to see if there's anything interesting going on like an elevator or something.

1d20+1 spot

Lokio
2011-09-28, 12:58 PM
[roll0] Spot check

Lokio
2011-09-28, 12:59 PM
He also looks over the body of the dead guy for loot and for any details as to what might have killed him, taking 20 on the search and doing a knowledge check.

Knowledge (nature) [roll0].
Search is 22.

OOC: Sorry, these posts were very poorly thought out which is why there are three of them.

Jair Barik
2011-09-28, 02:30 PM
The skeleton has no belongings. Look it over Perry notes several crushed bones indicating the man fell from a great height.

Lokio
2011-09-28, 02:32 PM
Perry raises an eyebrow and looks up for whatever the man could have fallen from.

Jair Barik
2011-09-28, 04:55 PM
The roof of this chamber reaches up just like the others but unlike the other six passages the ceiling cannot be seen. Where in the other tunnels the chain the lanterns hang by can be seen attatched to the ceiling just within the reach of torchlight here there it rises up into darkness beyond the lights extent.

Lokio
2011-09-28, 06:04 PM
Perry narrows his eyes and checks the chain. "This guy fell from height."

If it seems climbable, he will take ten on the climb check and climb up it after removing his armor to see what's up there.

dathom
2011-09-28, 11:24 PM
Leaning against the wall, Borden smiles, First they want to come and explore, now they don;t want to explore what they DO find. Then speaking up, Borden says, "Also remember that there was a passage down in the room where all the bugs came out of."

Keld Denar
2011-09-28, 11:47 PM
Par

Nodding his head in aquiessence, Par looks from Perry to Borden and back, smiling with a silly grin on his face.

Lokio
2011-09-29, 01:36 AM
Perry curses his player for forgetting about the passage, comes back down, puts his armor on and says, "Shall we, then?"L

Smith, John
2011-09-29, 10:15 PM
Right then. Perry, if you'd take point and be the first one down.... I'll follow after then. We can come back to play with the sarcophagus and climb this chain later.

Don will take out the rope, tie it off, and let the fighter go first.

Lokio
2011-09-29, 10:58 PM
Perry nods, sets his knotted rope up and rappels down.

Jair Barik
2011-09-30, 05:51 AM
The chamber is just as you left it, the passage leads out of it then branches off in three seperate directions, left, right and straight on.

Keld Denar
2011-09-30, 09:04 AM
Par

Before climbing down the shaft, Par quickly snuffs all of the lanterns that were previously lit to conserve oil.

Lokio
2011-10-01, 11:26 PM
Perry shrugs and leads the way to the left.

Jair Barik
2011-10-02, 06:40 AM
About 15ft along the passage opens out into a chamber. Eight man-sized stone slabs, about four feet off the ground, are arranged in two rows in this large room. A long-dead corpse, possibly a human, lays sprawled out upon one of these slabs, his red leather armor the only hint of color in the otherwise drab room. The north and south walls taper in somewhat, and the short west wall abuts a small stone stage. The red clay statue of a powerfully built warrior wielding a cylinder-headed greatclub stands tall upon the stage, its eyes surveying the room.

Keld Denar
2011-10-03, 02:09 AM
Par

Holding back, Par points to the body, then around the room.

Something killed that guy...there might be some kind of trap or hidden foe still in this room. Be careful.

Lokio
2011-10-03, 12:46 PM
Perry narrows his eyes and looks at the ominous statue with the hammer and the body beneath it. "This could not be more obvious."

He draws his weapon and shield, and motions for the party to stay back a bit. Perry leads the way in, listening and looking for any opponents.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

Edit those should be d20+1, in case it matters.

Keld Denar
2011-10-03, 03:23 PM
Par

If you think the statue's the thing that killed the man, how do you think it activates? I mean, it doesn't exactly look like its running around smashing on things at the moment. If we could figure out how to activate it remotely, we could observe it without the danger of it harming us. If it is visually activated, I might be able to fool it with an image, or possibly simply obstruct its line of sight which would allow us to investigate the room unhindered. Par mentions all of this while subconsiously stroking his nose and staring distantly at the ceiling.

Jair Barik
2011-10-03, 06:51 PM
As Perry enters the room a very large beetle wanders out from between the stone slabs and notices you turning to face the party.

you win Initiative

Map

http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/hungergames1-27.png

[roll0] v [roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3] [roll4]

Lokio
2011-10-03, 07:23 PM
Perry raises an eyebrow, takes a five foot step into T10 and swings at the creature with a battle cry. His morningstar cuts upward in an uppercut and he follows up with a mighty shield slam.

Morningstar [roll0] vs flatfooted - dmg [roll1]
Shield slam [roll2] vs flatfooted - dmg [roll3]

"Par! Spray some pretty colours!" he yells, laughing as he fights.

Jair Barik
2011-10-03, 07:31 PM
Perry's weapons bounce harmlessly off of the creatures shell.

Keld Denar
2011-10-03, 10:52 PM
Par

Par moves up just behind Perry. Raising his hands, a gout of grease sprays out, coating the ground under the creature.

Move action to R11 and cast Grease on U/V 10/11. DC 14 Ref save vs prone.

EDITED: Yea, the graphic was kinda funky on this brouser, sorry. I ment U/V.

dathom
2011-10-03, 11:09 PM
"Not more bugs." Borden goans as he draws his dagger, remembering the pain he felt when this things little brother bit him. shuttering a moment at visualizing this creature taking a much bigger bite out of him, Borden looks for a way around the creature to get into a flanking position.

Two move actions. One to draw dagger, then other to move to a flanking position with Perry.

Jair Barik
2011-10-04, 05:11 AM
As Par enters the room he suddenly feels very tired (Par is fatigued) , he casts his spell and the beetle falls to the ground on the grease.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Lokio
2011-10-04, 06:49 PM
If it's his turn, Perry will delay until after Borden can move into flanking, and then swing vs the prone bug. He will shift if he needs to to generate flanking.

Morningstar [roll0] vs prone ac -4 dmg [roll1]
Shield slam [roll2] vs prone ac -4 dmg [roll3]

Smith, John
2011-10-05, 11:22 PM
Don steps up behind Perry.Wee Jas blessings.

s11and guidance.

Jair Barik
2011-10-06, 06:05 AM
The beetle sprays a burst of acid over Perry and Don but neither is effected.

Initiative-you guys

Map
http://i214.photobucket.com/albums/cc97/dragonhunter55/hungergames1-28.png

[roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]

Keld Denar
2011-10-06, 11:58 AM
Par

Watching as his grease evaporates into the air, Par hangs back, aiming his crossbow at the creature in case it tries to stand up while surveying the rest of the room.

Not gonna try to shoot into cover, past an ally, and at a prone foe. Thats like, a -12 cumulative penalty. That puts me at like, 1d20-12 to hit. LOL!

Ready an action to shoot the beetle after it stands up, and hopefully Don will move his butt out of the way and I'll only be at -4!

Lokio
2011-10-06, 11:59 AM
Using the guidance from Don, Perry swings.

Vs ac -4 since prone bug

Jair Barik
2011-10-06, 12:04 PM
Shield and morningstar both connect with their target but fail to lay the beetle low, its mandibles clicking audibly and its body still moving.

Smith, John
2011-10-07, 06:11 AM
Don will step into the action and try to smash the still prone Beatle with his mace.

[roll0]vs prone ac.
[roll1]

dathom
2011-10-08, 12:32 AM
Hoping up onto the coffins, Borden moves around to a flanking position with Perry before stopping down and slashing at the beetle.

Move action to move to V,12 and standard to attack, Bonus for flanking already included. Attack:[roll0] Damage:[roll1] Sneak Damage:[roll2]

Jair Barik
2011-10-08, 10:30 AM
Don fails to strike the beetle but Borden skillfully slides his weapon between its armoured plates killing it. Perry and Borden both begin to feel tired (both characters are fatigued).

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Lokio
2011-10-08, 01:59 PM
Perry flicks himself. "God, I'm tired..."

He goes and looks at the body of the dead person on the slab and searches it. Then he swears, looks back at the statue and the slabs.

"That's how it works! There is no reason for me to be tired. Help me."

He turns and tries to think of a way to destroy the statue. He takes 20 and sees if he can't push it over and break it., (23 str) If the others assist thatd be great..

Jair Barik
2011-10-08, 02:54 PM
The dead body on the slab wears a high quality suit of leather armour emblazoned with an eight-pointed star symbol and also a silver ring. It takes a lot of effort but Perry manages to push the statue onto its side though this doesn't seem to have nay effect on anything.

Lokio
2011-10-08, 02:56 PM
"Borden, I think that if someone falls asleep on the -- yawwwwn -- slab, this thing animates and smashes them. There's no reason for that body to be there like that otherwise. Can you search around, see if there's any other trigger? Also, Par, can you see if there's a magical aura on this thing?"

dathom
2011-10-08, 07:13 PM
Puffing out his chest in victory, Borden quickly deflates as he suddenly feels very tired. Wipping hia dagger off on a bit of scrap cloth, he slits it back into the sheath at his belt as he sets to work. Blearily looking around the statue, the rogue tries to see if there are any mechanisms that he could jam. While he is at it though, he calls out, "Anyone here can figure out what actually killed this poor sap?"

Search on the collapsed statue:[roll0]

Lokio
2011-10-08, 07:15 PM
OOC: Dathom, please start taking 20s on your searches for traps. You are allowed to as per the rules... and your modifier is awful, so we need you to.

Perry says, "That's your idea of searching for traps? Take your time, man; a couple of minutes. Last time you did that, I got shot in the face by FIRE."

dathom
2011-10-08, 08:30 PM
"If you want to take the time to do that, then feel free to. Judging by how quickly we got tired though, I don't think we have a couple minutes," says Borden once he is finished examining the statue. Moving to the body, Borden will begin looking for items of use that it might have.

Lokio:I understand your point, but from a RP perspective, Borden doesn't know how much time they have before whatever is causing them to get tired makes them fall asleep. As such, he isn't gonna use up time that they might not have throughly examining a statue when they could be doing it getting the body out and possible away from there so that even if the statue comes alive, the group might not be around to take the punishment.