PDA

View Full Version : [PEACH, BASE] A rather feral charmer - The Gifted

Phosphate
2011-08-21, 09:53 AM
I told Fluffy the other day to go bring me some fish. Hasn't returned since. Says all fish 'round there are too dire and savage for his little paws. Yeah, classic. - Junalys, Gifted

(Inspired from the Farseer series, of course)

Some individuals are simply born with a native mental link to the animal world, which follows them continuously and without failure. They can sense the thoughts, emotions and read the memories of beasts, and even borrow their senses at times. This connection makes them more feral as well, but at the same time provides them with valuable skills to combat their foes.

Moreover, this talent does not come without an uncanny source - namely, the blood and inheritance of the Farseers, striders of mind and destiny.

Organisation: The Gifted are shunned by society for their powers, and in some places even hunted down and executed. Most of the Gifted that want to live with their brethren hide their unique talents utterly. The others, and most of them, for that matter, venture in the wilderness for a lifetime. The Gifted seldom, if ever, party with each other, but they may join with other adventurers who don't discriminate them.

Race: The Gifted, requiring a certain inheritance, must all be either fully or part-Human.

Religion: The Gifted believe in the principle that life and nature are the beginning and end to all things and usually just pray to them as abstract concepts. They rarely, if ever, have actual patron deities.

Alignment: The Gifted must choose to either live a chaotic lifestyle by themselves or live an orderly one, by means of unhonesty and deceit. Therefore, they must be either non-lawful or Lawful Evil.

Starting Age: as barbarian
Starting Gold: as fighter
Hit Dice: d8

Class Features

Class Skills: Autohypnosis, Balance, Bluff, Concentration, Craft, Disguise, Handle Animal, Heal, Hide, Intimidate, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Move Silently, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot, Survival
Skillpoints per level: 4 + Int mod (x4 at 1st level)

{table=head]Level|Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|0th|1st|2nd|3rd|4th|5th|6th|7th|8th|9 th
1st|
+1|
+2|
+0|
+2|Animal Companion, Nature Sense, Wild Empathy, Farseer Inheritance, Feral Inspiration|3|1||||||

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+0|
+3|Evasion, Wild Telepathy, Pack Unity|4|2||||||

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+1|
+3|Farseer Insight|4|2|1|||||

4th|
+4|
+4|
+1|
+4|Uncanny Dodge, Mirror of Myself|5|3|2|||||||

5th|
+5|
+4|
+1|
+4|Source of Inspiration, Mental Push (Animals)|5|3|2|1|||||

6th|
+6/1|
+5|
+2|
+5|Farseer Insight, Predatorial|5|3|3|2|||||

7th|
+7/2|
+5|
+2|
+5||6|4|3|2|1||||

8th|
+8/3|
+6|
+2|
+6|Mental Push (Humanoids)|6|4|3|3|2||||

9th|
+9/4|
+6|
+3|
+6|Farseer Insight|6|4|4|3|2|1|||

10th|
+10/5|
+7|
+3|
+7|Improved Animal Companion|6|4|4|3|3|2|||

11th|
+11/6/1|
+7|
+3|
+7|Mental Push (High), Spirit of the Pack|6|5|4|4|3|2|1||

12th|
+12/7/2|
+8|
+4|
+8|Farseer Insight, Feral Push|6|5|4|4|3|3|2|||

13th|
+13/8/3|
+8|
+4|
+8||6|5|5|4|4|3|2|1||

14th|
+14/9/4|
+9|
+4|
+9|Mental Push (Uncanny)|6|5|5|4|4|3|3|2||

15th|
+15/10/5|
+9|
+5|
+9|Farseer Insight, Ferocity|6|5|5|5|4|4|3|2|1|

16th|
+16/11/6/1|
+10|
+5|
+10|Mental Push (anything)|6|5|5|5|4|4|3|3|2|

17th|
+17/12/7/2|
+10|
+5|
+10|Instinctual Follow-up|6|5|5|5|5|4|4|3|2|1

18th|
+18/13/8/3|
+11|
+6|
+11|Farseer Insight|6|5|5|5|5|4|4|3|3|2

19th|
+19/14/9/4|
+11|
+6|
+11|Mental Push (Everything)|6|5|5|5|5|5|4|4|3|3

20th|
+20/15/10/5|
+12|
+6|
+12|False Death|6|5|5|5|5|5|4|4|4|4[/table]

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: The Gifted is proficient with all simple weapons and all martial melee weapons, all types of armor, and no shields.

Farseer Inheritance: Ties to the Farseer bloodline permit the Gifted to influence the minds of others.

A Gifted casts divine spells from the Enchantment school of magic (the spells he casts are treated as divine, but do not have to be divine in origin). He is not tied to a certain class spell list, instead, he may cast any (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Enchantment) spell from the school of Enchantment.

To learn or cast a spell, a Gifted must have a Wis equal to 10+spell level or higher. He automatically knows all enchantment spells he can cast. The DC of a Gifted's spells is 10+spell level+Cha mod. A Gifted gains bonus spells per day from having a high Charisma.

The Gifted is a prepared spellcaster. To prepare spells, he must have an 8th hour sleep and then meditate in silence for 30 minutes. He does not incur spell failure due to the weight of his armor.

A Gifted may give up his highest spell slot to remove 1 mind-affecting spell or spell-like ability that is affecting him as a free action. The level of the spell being removed must be lower than half your class level, rounded up.

Nature Sense (Ex): As the druid class feature.

Wild Empathy (Su): As the druid class feature, except it is a Supernatural ability.

Animal Companion: A Gifted may begin play with an animal companion selected from the following list: badger, camel, dire rat, dog, riding dog, eagle, hawk, horse (light or heavy), owl, pony, snake (Small or Medium viper), or wolf. If the campaign takes place wholly or partly in an aquatic environment, the following creatures are also available: crocodile, porpoise, Medium shark, and squid. This animal is a loyal companion that accompanies the Gifted on her adventures as appropriate for its kind.

As the Gifted advances in level, so does his animal companion. To calculate how much, use the druid animal companion table, and treat the Gifted as a druid of his level + 2. This increases by +1 at level 5, and then at every 5 levels thereafter (so, for instance, the animal companion of a level 15 Gifted gains the bonuses of the animal companion of a level 20 druid).

Additionally, treat the animal companion as a magical beast with an Int equal to the Gifted's Cha mod + Int mod (minimum 1). The animal companion may not have an Int score higher than its master's.

If the animal companion dies, another one may be obtained by forgoing 24 hours of uninterrupted meditation. If the animal companion is just released instead, this changes to 4 hours.

A Gifted of 2nd level or higher may select from alternative lists of animals (see below). Should he select an animal companion from one of these alternative lists, the creature gains abilities as if the character’s Gifted level were lower than it actually is. Subtract the value indicated in the appropriate list header from the character’s Gifted level and compare the result with the druid level entry + your bonus on the table to determine the animal companion’s powers. (If this adjustment would reduce the Gifted’s effective level to 0 or lower, he can’t have that animal as a companion.) Again, a Gifted is treated as a druid of his level +2, +1 per 5 class levels for this.

Alternative Animal Companions (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Druid#The_Druid.27s_Animal_Companion)

Feral Inspiration (Sp): The Gifted is inspired by the nature of the beasts he communicates and basically lives with, and this grants him special abilities. He can cast Bear's Endurance Class Level/4 rounded down times per day, Bull Strength Class Level/4 rounded down times per day, Cat's Grace Class Level/4 rounded down times per day, Eagle's Splendor Class Level/6 times per day, Fox's Cunning Class Level/6 rounded down times per day, and Owl's Wisdom Class Level/6 rounded down times per day.

He casts those as Spell-Like abilities similar to the sor/wiz spells except that they need no material component and their range is always treated as Self. Therefore, they don't use up spell slots.

Evasion (Ex): As the rogue class feature.

Wild Telepathy (Su): You can telepathically communicate to animals and magical beasts within line of sight (the answers you will receive are dependent on their intelligence, naturally). You can telepathically communicate with your animal companions even if you do not have line of sight - you just have to be on the same plane.

Pack Unity (Su): If any of your animal companions has fulfilled his daily need for food and water, neither you nor your other animal companion need to eat or drink anymore. Likewise, if you have fulfilled your daily need for food and water, your animal companions no longer need to eat and drink during the day.

Farseer Insight: At level 3, and every 3 levels thereafter, a Gifted may learn 1 Divination spell from the sor/wiz spell list. He still casts it as a divine spell. Those spells can be cast spontaneously.

Uncanny Dodge (Ex): As the rogue class feature.

Mirror of Myself (Su): The Gifted's animal companion's Int score is always treated as his master's Int score.

Source of Inspiration (Ex): You gain an untyped bonus to your Int mod equal to your animal companion's original Int (1 or 2). If you have more animal companions this applies to all of them.

Mental Push (Sp and Psi): You can channel your will to chase away your foes. This ability is treated as both a spell-like and psionic-like ability, so it fails both in an AMF and in an APF. It is a full-round action with a maximum range of 50 feet + 10 feet*Int mod, and it requires line of sight. This ability has a cooldown of 2d6 rounds, but by giving up 1 spell slot of your highest level, you can use it while it is on cooldown (if you do so, the cooldown renews). This ability offers a Will Save against a DC of 10+class level/2+Cha mod. However, the save is optional, and should your target choose to save against a Push and fail, he also takes Wisdom damage equal to the amount of Charisma damage he took.

The force damage of this feature is mind dependent (it only works on creatures with an Int score, but it works even if they are immune to mind-affecting abilities), while everything else is mind affecting.

At level 5, you can Push Animals and Magical Beasts. They receive 1d8 force damage, 1 Charisma damage, and are staggered for 1 round.

At level 8, you can Push Humanoids, Monstrous Humanoids and Giants. They receive 1d8 force damage, 1 Charisma damage, and are staggered for 1 round. Meanwhile, Animals and Magical beasts receive 2d8 force damage, 1d4 Charisma damage, and are staggered for 1 round and shaken for another round instead.

At level 11, you can Push Outsiders and Dragons. They receive 1d8 force damage, 1 Charisma damage, and are staggered for 1 round. Meanwhile, Humanoids, Monstrous Humanoids and Giants receive 2d8 force damage, 1d4 Charisma damage, and are staggered for 1 round and shaken for another round instead. Animals and Magical beasts receive 3d8 force damage, 1d6 Charisma damage, and are staggered for 1 round and then shaken for 2 rounds.

At level 14, you can Push Fey and Aberrations. They receive 1d8 force damage, 1 Charisma damage, and are staggered for 1 round. Outsiders and Dragons receive 2d8 force damage, 1d4 Charisma damage, and are staggered for 1 round and shaken for another round. Humanoids, Monstrous Humanoids and Giants receive 3d8 force damage, 1d6 Charisma damage, and are staggered for 1 round and shaken for 2 rounds. Animals and Magical beasts receive 4d8 force damage, 1d6 Charisma damage, and are staggered for 1 round and then shaken for 3 rounds.

At level 16, you can Push anything that has an Int score. Fey and Aberrations receive 2d8 force damage, 1d4 Charisma damage, and are staggered for 1 round and then shaken for 2 rounds. Everything else receives 4d8 force damage, 1d6 Charisma damage, and is staggered for 1 round and then shaken for 3 rounds.

At level 19, you can Push anything that has an Int score, ignoring mind-affecting immunity. You can also Push creatures that don't have an Int score at all, but only the force damage is dealt. Everything else receives 5d8 force damage, 1d8 Charisma damage, and is staggered for 1 round and then shaken for 5 rounds.

Predatorial (Sp): At level 6, a Gifted can make an opponent he is attacking imagine himself being assaulted by a dangerous predator. This is a mind-affecting ability. To use this ability, declare it as a Free Action while you are performing a melee attack on an opponent. One of your animal companions is stunned for 1 turn. Meanwhile, if your attack succeeds and deals lethal damage, your foe must make a Will Save against a DC of 10+class level/2+your stunned animal companion's Cha mod. If he fails the save, he is shaken for 4 rounds. If he fails by more than 5, he is frightened for 3 rounds and shaken for 1. If he fails by more than 10, he is panicked for 2 rounds, frightened for 1, and shaken for 1. If he succeeds the save, he can no longer be targeted by this ability for 24 hours. Either way, whether he fails or succeeds the save, until the end of the encounter the targeted opponent will take 1d8 untyped unavoidable damage every time he attacks you (this is ALSO treated as mind-affecting). Doesn't stack.

Improved Animal Companion: At level 10, you may take another animal companion. This one most NOT be from the alternate list. For the purposes of this animal, treat yourself as a druid of half your class level rounded up, +1 per five class levels.

Spirit of the Pack (Su): That is you, by the way. At level 11, your animal companions are so loyal to you as to not let anything, not even death, to stop them from aiding you. As long as you are alive and within 50 feet of your animal companions, they cannot be reduced below 1 hit point and are immune to death from massive damage. Instant killing spells, like Disintegrate, still work.

Feral Push (Sp and Psi): Your animal companions gain the Mental Push ability, except that instead of a 1d8 turn cooldown it has a 8 turn cooldown. The save DC for Feral Push is equal to the DC of your Mental Push - 4.

Ferocity (Ex): At level 15, the Gifted becomes one with the beast. As long as his animal companions are conscious, he may subtract half his Cha mod from attack rolls to add his full Cha mod+1 to damage rolls. Also, he can skip the next round of one of his animal companions to make a pounce attack.

Instinctual Follow-up (Ex): If any of your animal companions succeed on an attack roll against a foe and deal damage, next round you can make a melee attack against that foe without having to make an attack roll - it is a guaranteed hit (however, you can still roll to see if you scored a critical).

False Death (Su): You can completely close your body and transfer your conscience into one of your animal companions. Using this ability is a full round action, and you must have at least 1 animal companion conscious.

After this ability is used, your body becomes unconscious, and you take over the body of one of your animal companions permanently (if this happens, all bonuses that animal has due to this class are also kept permanently). Your body no longer needs to sleep, eat, drink or breath, its type changes to Undead, all your HD change to d12s, you gain Fast Healing 20 and you become immune to falling and pressure damage. However, your body still appears as a normal Human corpse to everyone else. Only the use of a Resurrection-type spell or a Heal DC 40 check reveal the truth. Your body does not rot, but it is cold and rigid, and your skin becomes pale.

To get rid of this condition and return to your body, you must die as animal companion. It doesn't matter if you do this willingly or someone else kills you in battle, you still return to your body. If you do this, the corpse of the animal companion may not be resurrected, not even by Wish.

You can use this ability only once per week.

Phosphate
2011-08-21, 03:22 PM
Made the skeleton so far. You may PEACH.

Gandariel
2011-08-21, 04:54 PM
ok so let's see.

The spellcasting, i like it. 9th level, but only one, thematically fitting, school and not necessarily the strongest. Though i'm puzzled about why do you have to keep both Wis and Cha high for it. just make them only Cha-dependant

Then... You have a better animal companion than a druid?
You should know the animal companion of a druid is very comparable to an equal level fighter (if not for the money and gear)...

You are giving this guy two animal companions, both quite strong.
Plus, there's the Handle animal stuff. That's very DM-dependant but it can get quite broken. And since the whole idea of this charachter is around being an animal handler...

The push thing, just put its DC to 10+HALF class level + Cha mod
otherwise it's very nice and useful

It has a.. very high number of skills, i don't see why does he need so many.

Last thing, what is this guy supposed to do?
I mean his role in a fight: is he a fighter or does he stand back and drop spells while his animals fight for him?

i mean it's weird to give medium bab, HEAVY armor proficiency (you should remove that, almost noone gets it and only after a proper training), some melee-related class abilities AND 9th level spells. i mean that's not overpowered (the druid is That, times 10) but.. i mean you should decide what is your guy supposed to do in a fight and then give him abilities accordingly.

Lastest thing: could you explain me this?

Source of Inspiration (Ex): You gain an untyped bonus to your Int mod equal to your animal companion's original Int (1 or 2). If you have more animal companions this applies to all of them.

Ok, that's enough. Please, i'm not trying to be offensive or to criticise what you did, i like it. just, it could use some improvements

Phosphate
2011-08-22, 01:10 AM
The spellcasting, i like it. 9th level, but only one, thematically fitting, school and not necessarily the strongest. Though i'm puzzled about why do you have to keep both Wis and Cha high for it. just make them only Cha-dependant

Flavor-based. Most of the spellcasting relies on the force of personality, but the range of enchantments known relies on experience (Wis). Or that's how I THINK they handle this in the books.

Then... You have a better animal companion than a druid?
You should know the animal companion of a druid is very comparable to an equal level fighter (if not for the money and gear)...

1. This was intentional.
2. I am aiming for a VERY high Tier 2.
3. This is still weaker than a Druid, and I want it as an alternative.

The push thing, just put its DC to 10+HALF class level + Cha mod
otherwise it's very nice and useful

What is the difference between half class level and class level/2 ?

It has a.. very high number of skills, i don't see why does he need so many.

I did a run-down, and...I'm sorry to say but they kind of all fit thematically :)). Well except for Appraise, but I love Appraise.

Last thing, what is this guy supposed to do?
I mean his role in a fight: is he a fighter or does he stand back and drop spells while his animals fight for him?

Enchantments are not all usable in fights. Many of them are roleplaying-related. So are Divinations. No, this is meant as a proper melee class with some pretty badass tricks up his sleeve. It depends on the CR of the opponent really. The only reason I didn't give him full BaB is because I wasn't sure it was safe to. So I'm just asking, should I do that?

As for getting Heavy Armor at low level...well it's pretty much why clerics get Heavy armor at low levels. Because level 1-3 enchantments =/= survivability. Also since he is, as I said, supposed to go melee.

Lastest thing: could you explain me this?

If you have an Int of 20 (+5 mod), an Ape (normal Int is 2) and a Dire Rat (normal Int is 1), then your Int mod is 5+2+1=8.

Ok, that's enough. Please, i'm not trying to be offensive or to criticise what you did, i like it. just, it could use some improvements

Sure, no problem. Please comment on what I said. AND I will remove Appraise :)).

Morph Bark
2011-08-22, 05:31 AM
I did a run-down, and...I'm sorry to say but they kind of all fit thematically :)). Well except for Appraise, but I love Appraise.

Autohypnosis I can sort of see due to this being a mind-based class even though that skill is typically only for psionic classes, but what the hey.

Balance I don't see as "thematically fitting".

Bluff, Concentration and Craft are obvious ones. Bluff because enchantment. Concentration because spellcasting. Craft because Craft. (EVERYONE HAS CRAFT.)

Disguise, Escape Artist, Hide and Move Silently I don't see.

Handle Animal, Heal, Intimidate, Knowledge (nature), Listen, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spot and Survival are all pretty clear.

Use Rope? This big boy needs no rope to lasso his animals, he's got wild empathy and enchantments for that, or he can just wait for a bit and they become his animal companions.

No, this is meant as a proper melee class with some pretty badass tricks up his sleeve.

Wait, what? In that case, why does it have animal companions stronger than him for melee? Why are you aiming for Tier 2 for that matter with it? Currently the only reason it is Tier 2 is because of a handful of enchantment spells like Dominate, but enchantment spells are among the easiest to overcome.

Phosphate
2011-08-22, 06:08 AM
Autohypnosis I can sort of see due to this being a mind-based class even though that skill is typically only for psionic classes, but what the hey.

Mind push...

Balance I don't see as "thematically fitting".

So a member of a class that basically ventures in the wilderness for a lifetime should trip when crossing a narrow branch? Naaaah.

Disguise, Escape Artist, Hide and Move Silently I don't see.

Disguise because they are hunted by society and stuff. Hide and Move Silenty because Ranger has them. But...escape artist is stupid, you're right, gonna remove.

Use Rope? This big boy needs no rope to lasso his animals, he's got wild empathy and enchantments for that, or he can just wait for a bit and they become his animal companions.

Meh, you're right. Will remove.

Wait, what? In that case, why does it have animal companions stronger than him for melee?

I'm planning on increasing his melee potential, just looking for non-broken ways to do so...hmm, wonder if a full BaB and halving the range of Push would encourage that in players...

Well so far it has Evasion, Uncanny dodge, that Ferocity thing for damage, Pounce and the guaranteed hit-granting features...do you think I should increase his defensive or offensive capabilities?

Currently the only reason it is Tier 2 is because of a handful of enchantment spells like Dominate, but enchantment spells are among the easiest to overcome.

Yup. Opponent overcomes = you kill him with your sword(s).

Gandariel
2011-08-22, 08:52 AM
If you have an Int of 20 (+5 mod), an Ape (normal Int is 2) and a Dire Rat (normal Int is 1), then your Int mod is 5+2+1=8.

And what if you use Handle Animal to get 20 1-HD creatures with 2 Int each? you get a +40 to your Int modifier? Which is a +80 Int?

And by the way it doesn't really make sense as an ability... having stupid friends doesn't make you smarter..

About the level/2 thing, sorry i misread.

And this thing is not gonna be high tier 2.
I mean, you just have big animals and some enchantment spells.
Sure they're great and tough, but compare them to a Sorceror.
Mind blank, ray of stupidity and most your class features are gone.
Better aim for a solid tier 3 (which is in my opiinon better, you don't need to get it too strong)

Morph Bark
2011-08-22, 08:55 AM
So a member of a class that basically ventures in the wilderness for a lifetime should trip when crossing a narrow branch? Naaaah.

Disguise because they are hunted by society and stuff. Hide and Move Silenty because Ranger has them. But...escape artist is stupid, you're right, gonna remove.

Neither Ranger or Druid has Balance...

If they are hunted by society, but stick to the wilderness all the time, they won't even need to Disguise. :smallwink:

I'm planning on increasing his melee potential, just looking for non-broken ways to do so...hmm, wonder if a full BaB and halving the range of Push would encourage that in players...

Yup. Opponent overcomes = you kill him with your sword(s).

In that case, you're not going for Tier 2. Tier 1 and 2 have the broken stuff. Them and Truenamer.

Still though, rather than increasing his effective Druid level for Animal Companions (which means that at level 15 they hit their peak and no longer increase in power), why not allow him access to some Transmutation spells as well? Obviously not stuff like Polymorph, but spells like Bull's Strength would fit it well and he could buff himself and his Animal Companions with it.

In that case, I would also allow the second animal companion to benefit from being able to be chosen from the alternative lists. There isn't really a reason why he shouldn't be able to and it expands his combat utility.

And what if you use Handle Animal to get 20 1-HD creatures with 2 Int each? you get a +40 to your Int modifier? Which is a +80 Int?

It's only with animal companions, not animals controlled through Handle Animal. One could break it with Beast Master perhaps, but not by much, since you use your Int modifier for few things.

Unless of course you go Gifted 5/Beastmaster 10/psionic Int PrC 5.

Phosphate
2011-08-22, 12:29 PM

It only applies to Animal Companions, not to everything you feel like handle animal'ing. Thought that was clear. So the MAXIMUM bonus you can get is +4.

And by the way it doesn't really make sense as an ability... having stupid friends doesn't make you smarter..

Well...sorry, but I can't really explain without you reading the books :)).

And this thing is not gonna be high tier 2.
I mean, you just have big animals and some enchantment spells.
Sure they're great and tough, but compare them to a Sorceror.
Mind blank, ray of stupidity and most your class features are gone.
Better aim for a solid tier 3 (which is in my opiinon better, you don't need to get it too strong)

If you call THIS a Tier 3, then dude, you played waaaaay too many wizards.

Phosphate
2011-08-22, 12:44 PM
If they are hunted by society, but stick to the wilderness all the time, they won't even need to Disguise. :smallwink:

Some of them hide in society, some of them venture the wilderness. It's choice. If you have a Wizard, do you put points in ALL knowledges or just 1 or 2?

(which means that at level 15 they hit their peak and no longer increase in power)

Not really. Passing level 15, the animals enter epic progression. Should I clarify?

why not allow him access to some Transmutation spells as well? Obviously not stuff like Polymorph, but spells like Bull's Strength would fit it well and he could buff himself and his Animal Companions with it.

Hmm....seems like a good idea, though I would have to cherry pick the abilities he is allowed to use. Expect this to be done by tomorrow or so.

In that case, I would also allow the second animal companion to benefit from being able to be chosen from the alternative lists. There isn't really a reason why he shouldn't be able to and it expands his combat utility.

On the contrary, it REDUCES it. Because if both his companions are that strong, the Gifted would have less incentive to enter melee on his own.

Gandariel
2011-08-22, 05:24 PM
Let's put it easy. Any tier 2 defeats this class (if only because of full spellcasting)

This class, kinda is, but is restricted to one (weakish) school.
Anyway, tier 1 and 2 classes surely beat this guy with no effort.
On the other hand, i guess most tier 3 and lower don't stand a chance against him.

I think you should do something: eitehr give him more power(aim for tier2) or less (aim for tier3)

I suggest the second

Phosphate
2011-08-23, 06:33 AM
On the other hand, i guess most all tier 3 and lower don't stand a chance against him.

Fixed. Also, though it is weak for a Tier 2 at the moment, it is not really weak AGAINST a Tier 2. Just PUSH that mean old sorcerer and watch him squirm because his charisma is too low for his highest level spells. Then, PUSH him again with your animal companions, and watch him squirm because his Cha is now lower than 10 :)).

eitehr give him more power

Working on it.

Morph Bark
2011-08-23, 06:42 AM
If it weren't for the uber animal companions, they'd probably be beaten easily enough by barbarians, crusaders, factotums or warblades. This makes me think that this isn't a class for humans, it is a class for animals to get a human companion with some mind powers.

Gandariel
2011-08-23, 07:17 AM
Fixed. Also, though it is weak for a Tier 2 at the moment, it is not really weak AGAINST a Tier 2. Just PUSH that mean old sorcerer and watch him squirm because his charisma is too low for his highest level spells. Then, PUSH him again with your animal companions, and watch him squirm because his Cha is now lower than 10 :)).

The mean old sorcerer will probably make the save (good Will save, Cloak of Resistance?)

Working on it.

It would really be better off if you made it to Tier 3.
But if you want to push it to tier 2... let them access Animal companions with SLAs, spellcasting and such. That will push them up a fair bit

answers in bold ^^

Phosphate
2011-08-23, 07:20 AM
Well the cooldown doesn't activate if the ability is negated by a save (I should specify), so good luck for him succeeding the save every turn three times per turn :D.

If it weren't for the uber animal companions, they'd probably be beaten easily enough by barbarians, crusaders, factotums or warblades. This makes me think that this isn't a class for humans, it is a class for animals to get a human companion with some mind powers.

This is hilariously true. BUT I could argue that you could apply this to vestige classes as well.

Gandariel
2011-08-23, 08:20 AM
No cooldown if the Save is passed?!? that's ridiculous.. with an ability like that you'd just better stand there and Push every turn, all of you..
Nah, the cooldown activates even if the save is successful (you expend spell slots even if the enemy saves, after all)

And anyway yeah, if you want to push this class to tier 2 you have give access to magical beasts, dragons, and various strong monsters with SLAs and spellcasting. that would be darn strong

Phosphate
2011-08-23, 11:39 AM
Actually, I can bump this class well above its current power rating with a small fix. Expect some mind blowing.

And...done! Please see Feral Inspiration, Predatorial and Spirit of the Pack.

Gandariel
2011-08-23, 02:07 PM
the SLAs are very fitting. Do your animal companions benefit from Share Spell, so that the bonuses go to them too?

Predatorial is.. well, nice but not that strong.

Spirit of the pack: yeah, definitely a bump in power, though you could say something like they keep fighting until the encounter is over, even if their Hit points are reduced below zero. Then, after the encounter finishes, if their HP is lower than -10, they die.

Phosphate
2011-08-23, 04:07 PM
the SLAs are very fitting. Do your animal companions benefit from Share Spell, so that the bonuses go to them too?

Awesome, right? :D

Predatorial is.. well, nice but not that strong.

1. You get it at level 6.
2. Its damage activates when you are ATTACKED, not hit by a melee skill. Casters can start crying about...now.

Spirit of the pack: yeah, definitely a bump in power, though you could say something like they keep fighting until the encounter is over, even if their Hit points are reduced below zero. Then, after the encounter finishes, if their HP is lower than -10, they die.

I don't really think that disadvantage is called for.

I actually like how this class turns out. A lot of the Gifted's special abilities can only be used by weakening your animal companions/skipping their turns, or improve solely your melee. DEFINITELY not the kind of class who takes a back seat while his pets do everything.

Phosphate
2011-08-25, 01:57 AM
Bumpers....

Gandariel
2011-09-09, 04:11 PM
so you gave it full bab?
i don't really see it as thematically fitting.. druid has 3/4, for example.
you are giving this class a lot of good benefits to improve his power, but i don't really see them fitting your charachter.

For example, you gave it good Fort and Will saves. Ok.

Then you gave it Evasion and Uncanny dodge, which are typical of classes with good Reflex save, like the Rogue

i don't see your animals ever Pushing anything, since they're very strong on their own.. i guess you gave it to them to let them do something in a ranged battle.. though 50 feet is not that great. (Do animals use their Cha mod or yours?)
I'd just have one of my animals be some kind of eagle or air-based animal.

also, you cast Enchantment spells as a prepared caster and Divination spells spontaneously?

Phosphate
2011-09-10, 04:54 AM
so you gave it full bab?
i don't really see it as thematically fitting.. druid has 3/4, for example.
you are giving this class a lot of good benefits to improve his power, but i don't really see them fitting your charachter.

It has full BaB because it is a melee fighting-ish class. Definitely more martial than a Druid anyway.

For example, you gave it good Fort and Will saves. Ok.

Then you gave it Evasion and Uncanny dodge, which are typical of classes with good Reflex save, like the Rogue

Having a high Fort and Will are inherent to the Gifted because of his life in the wilderness and his Farseer bloodline, whereas Evasion and Uncanny dodge are learned traits that he gains from his animals.

i don't see your animals ever Pushing anything, since they're very strong on their own.. i guess you gave it to them to let them do something in a ranged battle.. though 50 feet is not that great. (Do animals use their Cha mod or yours?)

Well not at first, but Pushing gets much stronger in time. They use neither their Cha nor yours, I specifically said that the DC for their Push is equal to yours -4. And it is not 50 feet, it is 50 feet + 10*Int mod. Which, considering that your Animal Companions are treated as Magical Beasts with Int equal to yours (plus their own int), is not that bad. Say you have 20 int (minimum required to cast enchantments of any level+1 for the nice modifier). Say you have 2 smart animals, this means from Source of Inspiration you get + 4 int. That is a 24 int minimum, therefore a +7 modifier. So 120 feet range is what you're looking at.

also, you cast Enchantment spells as a prepared caster and Divination spells spontaneously?

Um...yes? I stated it pretty clearly.