PDA

View Full Version : Dragon-themed divine PrC for BBEG?

Maho-Tsukai
2011-08-21, 11:52 AM
As the title says, I am looking for a dragon-based PrC that can be entered by an evil archivist that actually dose not suck. The character in question is going to be a villainous NPC in an upcoming game and I am looking for a PrC that would fit his character concept. The character in question is the son of the leader of a corrupt magi-tech megacorp who is the chosen scion and herald of the long-sleeping dragons(who gave him his magic) of his dying world who seeks to awaken them and bring about an end to humanoid society. I know cleric may work better fluff-wise for this, but archivist has the best stat synergy for this guy's personality(he's a teenage/child genius and I would see him having more int then wisdom).

So, what I am looking for is a class that gives some abilities that are somehow related to dragons. While an actual draconic-fluffed class would be ideal, other classes that are not directly tied to dragons but give abilities that can be used to, say, summon dragons or do other dragon related things are welcome as well. So far, the only PrC I can think of that's actually good is contemplative(Pick dragon-themed domains)...but I am sure there are more....and that's why I am coming to you. So..do you have any ideas for such a PrC?

flumphy
2011-08-21, 12:11 PM
Check out the Dracolyte in the Draconomicon. A single-classed archivist can meet all the qualifications, although it requires two lackluster feats. You get medium BAB, a bonus domain, and some other minor dragon-related abilities. The 10th-level capstone is summoning an adult dragon.

You could also look at the Singer of Concordance in Races of the Dragon. It requires the dragonblood subtype, but nothing else an archivist wouldn't have anyway. The default fluff is that they're worshippers of Io, the dragon overdeity, which may or may not work with your campaign.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-08-21, 12:20 PM
Yeah, Draconlye looks good but the entry is painful as all ****. I have yet to check out the other and the Io worship can be refluffed to fit the campaign world....the only issue is getting the dragonblooded subtype...dose silverbrow human do it? If so then all my issues are solved.

EDIT: Silverbrow human DOSE give it. Problem solved.

Jude_H
2011-08-21, 12:35 PM
I don't have the book on hand, but Dragon Magic has a Divine Dragon PrC that grants token dragon abilities like flight, claws, a breath weapon and maybe a few other things like resistances or natural armor.

Due to 2-3 lost caster levels it's not the greatest class for a PC, but for an NPC those aren't an issue. A Cleric with Dragon domains should be a nice fit there.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-08-21, 12:43 PM
Yeah, but as I said, I want archivist. This character dose not strike me as the high-wis type, so archivist(which is mostly int-based and can be made Int SAD with one feat) is a better fit stat-wise even if cleric is a better fit fluff-wise...so I'm sticking with archivist as my entry. Also, the class you speak of requires TURN undead as an entry, and this guy is going to have an evil alignment...which means even if I do pull out lost traditions from my third party vault to make him an int(or perhaps cha)-based cleric he's going to be rebuking, not turning, which means he won't be able to get into that class.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-08-21, 12:44 PM
Yeah, but as I said, I want archivist. This character dose not strike me as the high-wis type, so archivist(which is mostly int-based and can be made Int SAD with one feat) is a better fit stat-wise even if cleric is a better fit fluff-wise...so I'm sticking with archivist as my entry. Also, the class you speak of requires TURN undead as an entry, and this guy is going to have an evil alignment...which means even if I do pull out lost traditions from my third party vault to make him an int(or perhaps cha)-based cleric he's going to be rebuking, not turning, which means he won't be able to get into that class.

Getsugaru
2011-08-21, 02:59 PM
You could do Dragonkith or Talon of Tiamat, Draconomicon. Wyrm Wizard, Dragon Magic, might be good too. A favorite of mine is the Dracolexi, Races of the Dragon, but you'd need to find a way to get spontaneous casting.
My Trick
My trick is Versatile Spellcasting, Races of the Dragon+Arcane Manipulation, Lost Empires of Faerun+Spontaneous Divination Wiz Variant/Cleric Cure spell Switch Ability/Druid Summon Nature's Ally spell Switch Ability/Hathran Spirit Magic Ability with Acorn of Far Travel to Rashemon Trick/etc.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-21, 04:31 PM
I thought Rebuke undead also qualified for anything that required Turn Undead.... might be a houserule but I am not sure.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-08-21, 05:28 PM
Dracolexi and those others are sadly arcane only, and this guy HAS to be divine fluff-wise. It's a long story, so I won't go into the details but lets just say that this guy being arcane won't work for his fluff and call it a day. However, I found some homebrew that fits this character better then the written classes...it can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=8082741&postcount=2)....and since I am using homebrew already, I am bringing in the feat to swap his cleric casting from wisdom to a more appropriate stat, so he can now actually now be a cleric without needing high wisdom.

Psyren
2011-08-21, 05:40 PM
I thought Rebuke undead also qualified for anything that required Turn Undead.... might be a houserule but I am not sure.

It does. But it's harder for an Archivist to get Rebuking than Turning. (As a matter of fact, all they need for the latter is a spell.)

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-21, 05:42 PM
It does. But it's harder for an Archivist to get Rebuking than Turning. (As a matter of fact, all they need for the latter is a spell.)

Bone talisman? hmm now that you mention I don't recall a single Prg. Class giving rebuke undead

Maho-Tsukai
2011-08-21, 05:49 PM
Actually, it's absurdly easy for an archivist to get rebuke. In a dragon mag there was some deity based feats. One of them is the prerequisite for all the others and another gives turn or rebuke, based on your alignment. Take those two feats, your archivist has rebuke....but I've decided to basicly ***** being offical and make use of both homebrew AND third party for third party for this character since cleric is the more fluff-fitting choice except for the fact it uses wisdom as it's casting stat....which 3rd party can change..and there is a homebrew dragonfire adapt/divine theurge class on this site so I have decided to make use of that for this character as it fits his concept well so if I am using homebrew already I may as well go full out and bring in the third party feat to make him a non-wisdom based cleric.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-08-21, 05:50 PM
I don't have many Dragon Magazines so I didn't know that.

Maho-Tsukai
2011-08-21, 05:54 PM
Either do I, and I was of the same opinion as you until somebody on this site told me about those feats. I found a copy of said dragon mag and now I know how easy it is to get a rebuking archivist. Sadly, you only rebuke as a cleric of half your character level, but it dose not really make a difference since your going to be using rebuke to power divine feats and qualify for stuff more then you'll actually be rebuking.(Unless your a necromancer...and even then an archivist necromancer will just opt to use command undead(Necromancy domain list) instead...)

Psyren
2011-08-21, 05:57 PM
Bone talisman? hmm now that you mention I don't recall a single Prg. Class giving rebuke undead

Ur-Priest does, but you're not really an Archivist anymore if you go for that.

There's a handful of others, but the commitment required is steeper than for TU.