PDA

View Full Version : What schools should i ban for my illusionist?

Howler Dagger
2011-08-21, 12:48 PM
So, in a Say DnD was real PbP game, im playing a wizard(illusionist)/psion(telepath) gestalt starting around level 3. I dont know which schools i should ban, but im thinking necromancy or evocation. What do you guys think wouldbe the best, to ban? consider the fact this takes place in a modern setting where peole suddenly get DnD powers.

The Glyphstone
2011-08-21, 12:50 PM
Enchantment's a good pick, you're gestalting with Telepath which can pick up most, if not all, of the slack there. Ban Evocation for your other school - again, the various X of Energy powers can cover you until Shadow Evocation comes online, and Conjuration with Orbs is equally good at direct damage.

RaggedAngel
2011-08-21, 12:51 PM
So, in a Say DnD was real PbP game, im playing a wizard(illusionist)/psion(telepath) gestalt starting around level 3. I dont know which schools i should ban, but im thinking necromancy or evocation. What do you guys think wouldbe the best, to ban? consider the fact this takes place in a modern setting where peole suddenly get DnD powers.

In a modern setting? Evocation is right out. In the real world there are almost no reasons to go blowing things up, and in those cases you could just use Conjuration effects. If you need to cause structural damage, Transmutation has some good answers too. Fireballs, unfortunately, have little purpose in the modern age.

Necromancy, too, is not very useful, as it can only really be applied offensively. You can make zombies, which is cool, but if you need minions you can just use Conjuration and less angry mobs will come after you. That said, our modern practice of embalming and keeping all of our dead in one place would make bodies plentiful.