PDA

View Full Version : How paladin make wealth?

dhusarra
2011-08-21, 03:41 PM
ok guys how can a lawful good paladin can make wealth from the adventures.can i make loot from corpses?if not i must depend from the other characters of the party?

Ryu_Bonkosi
2011-08-21, 03:44 PM
You loot wealth like every other homicidal hobo, by taking it from the bodies of the foes you have slain. Also from treasure chests strategically placed throughout dungeons that seem to always carry items that you want/need.

Tengu_temp
2011-08-21, 03:47 PM
Gah, now I'm reminded of one NWN server where the DMs thought it's against the paladin's code to loot killed enemies - which is, of course, total BS. Most paladins did it anyway, just not when the DMs were looking.

Glimbur
2011-08-21, 03:47 PM
It depends what sort of Lawful Good you are. Given the basic assumptions in the wealth system of 3.5, it is reasonable to loot the fallen as a) they don't need their stuff any more and b) you need it to further the cause of Good. If you want to avoid taking things from people, consider Vow of Poverty from Book of Exalted Deeds (which has its own issues, but is better than going aesthetic with no bonuses).

Sactheminions
2011-08-21, 03:48 PM
While your order/religion may have tithing obligations, the previous poster is broadly correct. Looting the bodies of the slain is a holy duty, that you may more effectively slay the persons of the unbelievers/evildoers/non-[your race] (depending on what deity you worship) in the future.

Paladins, in fact, make some of the most vicious jerks in D&D.

dhusarra
2011-08-21, 03:51 PM
for example can i take a full plate +1(only me can i wear plates in party) and to sell it after to earn money to take something more interesting for me?

Zejety
2011-08-21, 03:53 PM
:miko: Luxury is the herald of weakness!

http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z257/kerisrain/other/X.png

I suppose looting corpses depends a lot on the setting and the paladin in question.
I can hardly see any problem with keeping treasure found in chests/horts etc.

dhusarra
2011-08-21, 04:02 PM
i am follower of Heironeous.if the party find an item with the symbol of Hextor can i
a)to take it and sell it to expand the cause of good or is an evil act?,
b)if with some way to erase the symbol and wear it after?
c) leave the others to loot it and wear it?(i think not) :)

tyckspoon
2011-08-21, 04:02 PM
for example can i take a full plate +1(only me can i wear plates in party) and to sell it after to earn money to take something more interesting for me?

..yes? What is it that makes you think this would not be ok? Paladins are required to do no evil; they are not required to never ever do anything that might be construed as selfish. Your duties as a Paladin are: 1- Do No Evil. 2- Fight Evil when it shows up (if you're bored, you can go hunt down Evil to destroy on your own initiative as well.) If you get stuck on "Do As Much Good As Possible" instead, you can be a very good person and possibly still a Paladin, but you won't be an adventurer- you'll be spending all his time and resources helping out charitable organizations instead (this is a valid reason to *retire* a successful adventuring Paladin, mind- he looks at all the insanely valuable crap he's gathered and goes "you know, I could do more good with all this wealth if I sponsored schools/hospitals/welfare programs/whatever.. but he shouldn't be worrying about it while he's out there destroying Vampires and saving the world.)

Coidzor
2011-08-21, 04:08 PM
Yes. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a fool or out to make one of you.

Tengu_temp
2011-08-21, 04:12 PM
Yeah, there's nothing evil about taking stuff from the people you kill - if armor has an evil symbol on it just scratch it off or cover it in something. It's not killing babbies.

Cespenar
2011-08-21, 04:24 PM
I myself can't see a Sir IconicKnight stripping his enemy to his undies and trying out his newly acquired plate mail with the air of a child on Christmas, but this is D&D, of course, where Game Logic runs ahead of anything else, and fluff is just there to rub and shine the boots of the crunch, before the latter feels giving and hands out a penny in return.

nightwyrm
2011-08-21, 04:36 PM
This is D&D. Anything that prevents your homicidal hobo from killing things and taking their stuff isn't meant to be in the game.

Coidzor
2011-08-21, 04:45 PM
Yeah, there's nothing evil about taking stuff from the people you kill - if armor has an evil symbol on it just scratch it off or cover it in something. It's not killing babbies.

Unless it's Baby Armor!

Arbane
2011-08-21, 04:50 PM
Unless it's Baby Armor!

But what if they're EVIL babies?

Lapak
2011-08-22, 12:55 PM
Yes. Anyone who tells you otherwise is a fool or out to make one of you.To be fair, paladins had much stricter wealth and item restrictions in earlier editions (only allowed to own one set of magic armor in 2e, for example.) But even then they could take and sell other stuff; they were just required to give up some of the proceeds. So yeah, your paladin can and should earn money while adventuring.

Gnaeus
2011-08-22, 01:03 PM
I myself can't see a Sir IconicKnight stripping his enemy to his undies and trying out his newly acquired plate mail with the air of a child on Christmas, but this is D&D, of course, where Game Logic runs ahead of anything else, and fluff is just there to rub and shine the boots of the crunch, before the latter feels giving and hands out a penny in return.

I'm sure I recall late arthurian legends which involve Lancelot and his brothren happily stripping captured or defeated knights of their arms and weapons. You can't let the bad guys keep it after all.

Keld Denar
2011-08-22, 01:09 PM
One rule a lot of people seem to forget...

Full Plate
The suit includes gauntlets, heavy leather boots, a visored helmet, and a thick layer of padding that is worn underneath the armor. Each suit of full plate must be individually fitted to its owner by a master armorsmith, although a captured suit can be resized to fit a new owner at a cost of 200 to 800 (2d4×100) gold pieces.

I'd imagine that as part of that 200-800g you'd spend getting the straps readjusted and the plates contoured, that the armor could spend the time to hammer out the old holy symbol and possibly even emboss or etch some sort of new emblem.

Note that Dungeonscape has rules for treating your armor AS a holy symbol, which comes with its own unique upcharge, but if all you want is heraldry, go nuts!

Cespenar
2011-08-22, 03:30 PM
I'm sure I recall late arthurian legends which involve Lancelot and his brothren happily stripping captured or defeated knights of their arms and weapons. You can't let the bad guys keep it after all.

Relieving someone of their arms is very much in the process of capturing them, I'd imagine.

Big Fau
2011-08-22, 03:33 PM
Relieving someone of their arms is very much in the process of capturing them, I'd imagine.

Disclaimer: He means disarming them, not cutting off their arms.

Then again, both are common tactics for adventurers.

Nerd-o-rama
2011-08-22, 03:41 PM
How is loott formed?

*ahem*

There is nothing wrong with taking equipment from fallen foes if needed, or even wanted. Ideally, a Paladin should be very charitable with his wealth, and he absolutely should not go on adventures with the sole intent of monetary gain (unless there is literally no Evil afoot to otherwise occupy him), but there's nothing morally or ethically wrong with taking and using or liquidating the equipment of opponents you defeated in serious combat (a barfight, perhaps not).

Other answers to this question depend on the Paladin's particular station (whether he's part of a military religious order, a nobleman, or just a guy with a sword and a sense of duty) and can include rewards from his superiors or taxes from his vassals, if he has either, or simply monetary rewards from the sponsor of a particular quest - there's no rule against being a mercenary, either, as long as you stick to just causes.

deuxhero
2011-08-22, 08:37 PM
You can not "make wealth" by looting. You're just taking existing wealth from now dead owners (generally illegitimate). Of the D&D classes, only Artificers and other classes that use craft based builds are able to "create" wealth at all by virtue of doing Player Character stuff</economics>

Knaight
2011-08-22, 08:38 PM
You can not "make wealth" by looting. You're just taking existing wealth from now dead owners (generally illegitimate) </economics>

I was tempted to point this out, then I realized that English was not a first language in this case, and decided it would be unnecessarily rude and discouraging.

deuxhero
2011-08-22, 08:41 PM
The TC shouldn't worry about it then, most native speakers can't figure out non-zero sum economics terminology.

Sactheminions
2011-08-23, 12:12 AM
Deuxhero wins this thread.

2xMachina
2011-08-23, 12:21 AM
In before Pazuzu?

Safety Sword
2011-08-23, 12:27 AM
ok guys how can a lawful good paladin can make wealth from the adventures.can i make loot from corpses?if not i must depend from the other characters of the party?

I assume you didn't really want to MAKE loot from corpses. That could be frowned upon.

Although +2 armor of the bad guy (made from real bad guy!) would send a strong message to evildoers :smallwink:

Next campaign I DM will have armor made from clerics of a good church... literally made from them. Oh yeah!

deuxhero
Techniclly it's Pazuzu creating the wealth though.

Coidzor
In before Pazuzu?

Nah, that's how paladins take over the world.

Aquillion
2011-08-23, 12:55 AM
If they didn't want to be murdered and looted, they shouldn't have been evil. :smallcool:

Callista
2011-08-23, 01:08 AM
i am follower of Heironeous.if the party find an item with the symbol of Hextor can i
a)to take it and sell it to expand the cause of good or is an evil act?,
b)if with some way to erase the symbol and wear it after?
c) leave the others to loot it and wear it?(i think not) :)
There are two possibilities.

First, let's say the item just has the holy symbol of Hextor on it. It's not magical; it's just marked with Hextor's symbol. In that case, a paladin of Heironeus would probably remove the symbol, or get it removed, before selling the item. Hextor is your deity's enemy, and you would probably rather erase the holy symbol before selling the armor. Once the symbol has been removed, sell it or wear it, however you like.

If you are actually playing a paladin traveling in a party with someone who would wear armor with Hextor's holy symbol on it, then you've got problems--if your party members are okay with looking like they worship Hextor, your character might start to wonder whether those party members are really as true to the cause of good as they say they are. Again, get rid of the holy symbol before your party members go around wearing the armor. Heironeus is a pretty rigid sort of deity and he just doesn't seem like the sort to be okay with your party advertising for the enemy.

The second possibility is that the item with Hextor's symbol is actually an evil magic item of some sort--powered by Hextor, usable only to do evil. Let's say it's a weapon designed to inflict crippling pain--that's pretty typical for Hextor--but you know it's a good weapon and you want to use it. Okay, but the magic item has to be modified first--your character, if he's the kind of person who becomes a paladin of Heironeus, would find it very dishonorable to use a weapon of that sort. So, in order to use it, he would have to change it into a weapon that would be more suitable to a paladin of Heironeus.

He has two options: First, he could take it to a mage and have it modified directly. Remove the enchantment that creates the pain effect, or change it to something else. Remove the holy symbol and the evil aura. Second, he could attempt to redeem the weapon. This is the divine equivalent of the arcane re-working. Talk to the DM about this--it's a good plot hook, because a cleric or paladin redeeming an evil magic item often means a quest or a ritual.

If the magic item cannot be changed into something that can be used for the cause of good, it should be destroyed. If it's particularly powerful (a minor artifact or more), even that might require your party to go on a quest of some sort. Think something along the lines of dropping rings into volcanoes, and you've got the gist of it :)

Good luck with the paladin; they're my favorite class and they can really be fun (if you remember not to take yourself too seriously).