PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Abrupt Jaunt

ZombiePunch
2011-08-21, 10:15 PM
I'm not referring to teleporting out of a fancy dinner party but I was wondering if one could use abrupt jaunt to make an opponent flat footed.

I've tried looking it up and all in all it seems to be mostly defensive. O crap a trap/ o crap a spell/ o crap a greataxe.

It seems like instantly appearing in front of your foe would surprise them but I was curious if there were any rules to support this.

Appreciate any input.

Wings of Peace
2011-08-21, 10:16 PM
I'm not referring to teleporting out of a fancy dinner party but I was wondering if one could use abrupt jaunt to make an opponent flat footed.

I've tried looking it up and all in all it seems to be mostly defensive. O crap a trap/ o crap a spell/ o crap a greataxe.

It seems like instantly appearing in front of your foe would surprise them but I was curious if there were any rules to support this.

Appreciate any input.

Sure, wait till the fighter or rogue is on one side of the enemy then on your turn teleport to the opposite side.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-21, 10:49 PM
Blink and Blur do by providing concealment; you could teleport from concealment to make the attack and it would count for the first attack but after that no.

Flickerdart
2011-08-21, 10:54 PM

Appreciate any input.
An opponent is flat-footed only if he can't respond to your attack - for instance, if you Abrupt Jaunt out of the bushes and stab an orc on the road, he'd be flat-footed (because you got the drop on him). If you Abrupt Jaunt at the orc from 10ft away, he already saw you, so he's able to react to your reappearance.

Blink and Blur do by providing concealment; you could teleport from concealment to make the attack and it would count for the first attack but after that no.
Attacking from Blink or Blur would not make the opponent flat-footed unless you were using that concealment to successfully hide.

dextercorvia
2011-08-21, 11:02 PM
An opponent is flat-footed only if he can't respond to your attack - for instance, if you Abrupt Jaunt out of the bushes and stab an orc on the road, he'd be flat-footed (because you got the drop on him). If you Abrupt Jaunt at the orc from 10ft away, he already saw you, so he's able to react to your reappearance.

Attacking from Blink or Blur would not make the opponent flat-footed unless you were using that concealment to successfully hide.

Blink would deny Dex to AC, unless they can See Invisible. No need to hide.

herrhauptmann
2011-08-21, 11:19 PM
Isn't abrupt jaunt just a defensive thing? Immediate action when you get attacked, usable X/day?
So maybe if you move or otherwise provoke an AOO, abrupt jaunt out of it, and suddenly get/provide flanking against an enemy.

Greenish
2011-08-22, 12:58 AM
Blink would deny Dex to ACWhich is not the same as being flat footed. That was his point.

Bakkan
2011-08-22, 07:40 AM
Isn't abrupt jaunt just a defensive thing? Immediate action when you get attacked, usable X/day?
So maybe if you move or otherwise provoke an AOO, abrupt jaunt out of it, and suddenly get/provide flanking against an enemy.

Actually, you don't need to be attacked to use Abrupt Jaunt; you can use it any time you can use an immediate action (in other words, at any time unless you're flat-footed).

dextercorvia
2011-08-22, 07:46 AM
Which is not the same as being flat footed. That was his point.

No, because he said "unless you use that concealment to hide" which still wouldn't make them flat footed. He was misusing it to mean denied dex to AC.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-22, 08:02 AM
It can be used to close with a dragon without provoking AoO so you can land a Maximized Empowered Shivering Touch on it...

ZombiePunch
2011-08-22, 12:21 PM
Cool Beans

Appreciate all the feedback :smallsmile:

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-22, 03:18 PM
It can be used to close with a dragon without provoking AoO so you can land a Maximized Empowered Shivering Touch on it...

Why would you need to empower it? No dragon has more than 18 dex...

Piggy Knowles
2011-08-22, 03:52 PM
Why would you need to empower it? No dragon has more than 18 dex...

You know, dragons are relatively smart, especially about spells. They're also ancient and notoriously paranoid and well-prepared. It has always surprised me how few dragons toss on a Dexterity-boosting item or buff up their Dex just a little bit, so that they're not one-shotted with a level 3 spell...

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-08-22, 06:02 PM
Does cold resistance prevent ability damage?

If not, I'd just have mister dragon cast Ray Deflection and Scintillating Scales. That way you can't just put reach spell on it, which would obviate the AoOs, and its touch AC isn't trivial any more.

Safety Sword
2011-08-22, 06:25 PM

Nice derail Shneekey :P

Back on topic. There's a significant difference between denied DEX to AC and flatfooted.

Wings of Peace
2011-08-22, 06:35 PM
Nice derail Shneekey :P

Back on topic. There's a significant difference between denied DEX to AC and flatfooted.

It's hardly a derail when the OP asked about offensive uses for Abrupt Jaunt.

Safety Sword
2011-08-22, 06:39 PM
It's hardly a derail when the OP asked about offensive uses for Abrupt Jaunt.

Read all of the posts from Shneekey's onward. How many reference Abrupt Jaunt again... oh, that's right. None.

I'm not saying it's even Shneekey's fault. The example he gave is a very good one, it just seems to have made all of the other posters forget where the thread was supposed to be going.

It's Shneekey's blasted Jedi mind control tricks. Don't blame...m... yes master.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-08-22, 06:47 PM
Nice derail, Safety Sword. Very meta.

Anyway, there are a variety of traps one could set triggered by you being in X location. Also, if you're large enough, you could teleport above someone for a little bit of damage. If an enemy caster is dumb enough, you could lure him into striking you with some sort of area effect that affects his allies and then jaunt out of the way (assuming you're not in the center).

Safety Sword
2011-08-22, 06:59 PM
Anyway, there are a variety of traps one could set triggered by you being in X location. Also, if you're large enough, you could teleport above someone for a little bit of damage. If an enemy caster is dumb enough, you could lure him into striking you with some sort of area effect that affects his allies and then jaunt out of the way (assuming you're not in the center).

I'm not sure I follow you on this GSD. Abrupt Jaunt to 10' above an enemy so you can fall on them and annoy them into stabbing you until you die?

If you can jaunt out of an area effect that hits your opponent's allies then he was going to hit them whether you jaunt or not. Can't see this happening much.

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-08-22, 08:53 PM
They're corner cases. What are you going to expect? It's a 10' personal only teleport. And as for the falling thing, I guess you'd probably want to jump up first and then teleport another 10' to get some real falling damage going.

ZombiePunch
2011-08-22, 08:58 PM
Ok one more thing, could one use it while falling to negate damage.
As in falls hundreds of feet and waits till one is 10 feet from the ground to Abrupt Jaunt to the ground?

GoodbyeSoberDay
2011-08-22, 09:32 PM
That one depends on your DM's view on physics and catgirls in general. If momentum/velocity is preserved during teleportation, congrats, you negated 10' of falling damage. Otherwise it works as advertised.