PDA

View Full Version : Making a Master Thrower...

Master Thrower
2011-08-21, 10:35 PM
I am planning on making a master thrower, the build would be something along the lines of- Rogue 3 Swashbuckler 3 Master Thrower 5, Invisible blade 5, Rogue 4. Suggestions on a feat progression? Race? Magic Items? Also if I were to take palm throw, would insightful strike apply to both daggers? or just one dagger?

As a side note ToB is not allowed

Wings of Peace
2011-08-21, 10:40 PM
Bloodstorm Blade would be good both for ammo preservation and power attack.

Ason
2011-08-21, 10:44 PM
Ah, this is a favorite topic of mine, so let me pass along what I know. Here, just go to this thread, and perhaps even check out some of the other threads linked to it: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=199479 I'd repost what I said there, but that'd be a waste of bandwidth- just read that past discussion and come back with your specific questions.

ZombiePunch
2011-08-21, 10:47 PM
Gauntlet of Infinite Blades (MIC pg. 101)

flick of the wrist feat for melee

Cieyrin
2011-08-22, 10:38 AM
An alternative to light weaponry for throwing with Palm Throw etc. is to go Goliath Ferocity Barbarian/Master Thrower/Hulking Hurler/War Hulk with Heavy Orcish Shotputs. Does a 17-20/x4 crit range appeal to you? :smallamused:

Draz74
2011-08-22, 11:00 AM
If you're going for exotic thrown weaponry with a high Strength, shouldn't you skip the Shotput in favor of Boomerangs with Boomerang Daze?

Cieyrin
2011-08-22, 11:16 AM
If you're going for exotic thrown weaponry with a high Strength, shouldn't you skip the Shotput in favor of Boomerangs with Boomerang Daze?

Aptitude on your shotputs can put Boomerang Daze to use in one package. Plus, shotputs have better stats than boomerangs, especially since it starts with an unerrata'd 19-20/x3 crit range, as well as better damage. Not sure on the range, though.

Draz74
2011-08-22, 11:21 AM
Plus, shotputs have better stats than boomerangs, especially since it starts with an unerrata'd 19-20/x3 crit range, as well as better damage.

Duh. Good base stats isn't exactly the point of Boomerangs. :smalltongue:

Aptitude on your shotputs can put Boomerang Daze to use in one package.
Mmmmm, interesting. Problem is, now you're paying at least 8k gp per shotput ... and if you want to use them more than once, you'd better bump that up to 18k. Which restricts this build to being used at high levels, and also leads to issues of "if your five Teleporting Shotputs all return to you at the same time, where do you hold them all?"

Cieyrin
2011-08-22, 11:31 AM
Mmmmm, interesting. Problem is, now you're paying at least 8k gp per shotput ... and if you want to use them more than once, you'd better bump that up to 18k. Which restricts this build to being used at high levels, and also leads to issues of "if your five Teleporting Shotputs all return to you at the same time, where do you hold them all?"

The point of having Hulking Hurler and Warhulk is so you can Boulder Roll multiple targets with a Sizing shotput sized to Gargatuan or possibly Area Attack with it so it becomes a Ref save as opposed to an attack roll.

Well, and extra strength to boost both attack and damage through Brutal and Power Throw. :smallamused:

Draz74
2011-08-22, 12:43 PM
Oh, and here I thought we weren't trying to steer the OP in the direction of "make a character so broken he can destroy the planet by throwing the moon at it." :smallsmile:

(I actually hadn't even noticed the "Hulking Hurler" part of your previous post at all.)

Bloodymango
2011-08-22, 12:53 PM
i had one made a few games ago. it was fighter/barb/MT/bear warrior. with a quiver of ehlona and a returning exit-wound harpoon.

Cieyrin
2011-08-22, 12:56 PM
Oh, and here I thought we weren't trying to steer the OP in the direction of "make a character so broken he can destroy the planet by throwing the moon at it." :smallsmile:

(I actually hadn't even noticed the "Hulking Hurler" part of your previous post at all.)

You can use Warhulking Hurler for things other than throwing planets at other planets, too. There's more to Overburdened Hurl than the improvised weapon table at the back of CW, too. I think my Hurler also has more chance to show up in a game than other TO Hurler builds do, since I'm not dependent on finding the heaviest object around or figuring out how I walk into dungeons or towns with a mountain on my back. :smallwink:

Master Thrower
2011-08-22, 03:48 PM

What books are boomerangs in? And what feats should I take?

Cieyrin
2011-08-22, 04:40 PM
What books are boomerangs in? And what feats should I take?

I believe the boomerangs are in the Campaign Setting and Boomerang Daze is in Races of Eberron.

Socratov
2011-08-22, 04:47 PM
I'd leave out invisible blade, and take a strongheart halfling while putting in some whisperknife (races of the wild).

as for pre reqs, you can either take rogue 3/swashbuckler 3/master thrower 5 /whisperknife 9

or

rogue 5/swashbuckler 1/master thrower 5/whisperknife 9

the difference between these builds is 1 is build with more sneak attack, for when you have a less then stellar int (breakingpoint is int 18), the other build let's you get a lot of skillpoints and getting extra damage from your insightful strike. select the thrown tricks: palm throw, deadeye shot, weak spot. get the follwing feats:

8 feats total(1 race 7 class): pre reqs: TWF, PBS, Precise shot, Weapon focus(dagger)
feats left: far shot, impr. TWF, improved precise shot, greater TWF
pre reqs for free: Weapon Finesse, quick draw

AB scores should be in order: dex->int->str->con->{rest}

you will end up with (class abilities):

either 5d6+int precision based damage, grace +1 or 6d6
evasion, impr. evasion, critical shot, critical throw (impr. crit), uncanny dodge, defensive throw, improved catch, close defense, fast movement, superior catch, poison use, vengeful strike 1/day, improved uncanny dodge, ranged flank

use daggers (or that glove that gives you infinite daggers)

do note you are a glass cannon and not meant for taking attacks. You are somewhat protected from spells by evasion and iproved invasion. This build achieves it's zenith when making full attacks. You will have a crit range of 15-20, with crit multiplier 3 on your daggers. You will crit often and harder then normaly iwth daggers. also you will have a range increment of 20 ft. with your daggers, allowing you to full attack with only a slight penalty from 40 ft away. you will have a bab of 19, giving you 3 attacks with offhand, 4 with main hand and 1 from rapid shot using palmthrow you will turn into a halfling gatling gun throwing 16 daggers. you have 30% chance to crit, and against opponents that are of equal or greater height you will attack them on touch AC, so assuming you fight someone of small or greater height (quite likely) you will put 16 daggers in the chests on touch AC. And I'd definately take that gauntlet of infinite blades.