PDA

View Full Version : Joan of Arc

averagejoe
2011-08-21, 11:31 PM
I've been getting the hankering to watch some films based on Joan of Arc's life. Can anybody recommend one or two? Either being pretty historically accurate or being a good movie would be enough for me to want to try the film, though obviously both would be very nice.

The March Rider
2011-08-21, 11:50 PM
The Messenger is the only one I have seen. I thought it was pretty good.

DraPrime
2011-08-21, 11:54 PM
If you don't mind, or even enjoy, a movie being silent then the Passion of Joan of Arc is quite probably the best of all the movies about her.

Spiryt
2011-08-23, 04:09 AM
The one with Milla Jovovich had passable historical accuracy and feel AFAIR.

It had a lot of seemingly unavoidable "medieval" cliches, :smallfrown: - a lot of priests that appeared to have personality of puppy rapists, dude running around with two flails and so on...

Most clothes, armors and stuff appeared either too late or too early for the period, or completely made up, but for movie standards it wasn't really that bad, in fact hard to hope for more.

With modern movie industry, you've got to like what you had, in this regard. :smallwink:

It IMO had great, nasty atmosphere (especially later half) for the theme of the film, it had Dustin Hoffman as Satan/Conscience/God/whatever the hell that was.

And it had Milla, most importantly. :smallcool:

Serpentine
2011-08-23, 04:12 AM
There's one at my library... I think it's The Trial of Joan of Arc. According to the blurb on the back it's very realistic and based on real notes from the trial itself. Sounds grim, but good.
There's also the one with that woman who looks like Helen Hunt. Think it's just called Joan of Arc.

averagejoe
2011-08-23, 03:42 PM
If you don't mind, or even enjoy, a movie being silent then the Passion of Joan of Arc is quite probably the best of all the movies about her.

I don't mind, and may even enjoy, such a film. This is actually a much more interesting recommendation than I was really hoping for. Thanks.

The one with Milla Jovovich

Okay. Wait. Stop right there. I'm sure it's a good film, but I was kind of hoping to be able to take the protagonist seriously. :smalltongue:

Spiryt
2011-08-23, 04:06 PM
Okay. Wait. Stop right there. I'm sure it's a good film, but I was kind of hoping to be able to take the protagonist seriously. :smalltongue:

SO YOU DARE TO INSULT MILLA, INFIDEL??! :smallfurious:

:smallwink:

Seriously, though, I recall her acting was pretty damn good and convincing.

In general acting was good side of that movie, AFAIR.

Tirian
2011-08-23, 04:16 PM
When you're through with well-sourced biographies and all, there is always Jane Wiedlin's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUE1QsqdTLk) most excellent portrayal.

averagejoe
2011-08-23, 05:06 PM
When you're through with well-sourced biographies and all, there is always Jane Wiedlin's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUE1QsqdTLk) most excellent portrayal.

I'm already very familiar with that one. One of my favs for sure. :smallwink:

Thane of Fife
2011-08-25, 07:59 PM
I've got one, titled simply Joan of Arc, with Leelee Sobieski. I've not watched the entire thing (I wasn't in the mood to be depressed, so I skipped the second half, or so), but the bit I watched was definitely enjoyable, and I've generally seen better reviews for it than for the Messenger (which I didn't particularly care for). I thought that the Messenger came across as a movie with an agenda, as opposed to just a movie about Joan of Arc, but you might like that.

Balain
2011-08-26, 12:47 AM
...I thought that the Messenger came across as a movie with an agenda, as opposed to just a movie about Joan of Arc...

I totally agree I couldn't stand the messenger.

If I recall right in the messenger she found her sword by rolling around in a grass field...what the heck is that all about?

Maelstrom
2011-08-26, 05:54 AM
French film named "Jeanne captive" released this year at Cannes was pretty good. English title is "The Silence Of Joan", but am not sure it's been released in the US yet.

Here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnJ0I7-IWqU&feature=player_embedded

Spiryt
2011-08-26, 01:24 PM
I totally agree I couldn't stand the messenger.

If I recall right in the messenger she found her sword by rolling around in a grass field...what the heck is that all about?

God gave it to her? She thought so at least? Something along these lines? :smallconfused:

Can't see what's so weird about it considering how central faith was in mentality of simple peasant Joan generally most people of the era.

This reminds me that I have to re-watch it, but I don't recall stuff that really terribly didn't fit the atmosphere. At least for modern high budget movie.

Balain
2011-08-26, 03:01 PM
God gave it to her? She thought so at least? Something along these lines? :smallconfused:

Can't see what's so weird about it considering how central faith was in mentality of simple peasant Joan generally most people of the era.

This reminds me that I have to re-watch it, but I don't recall stuff that really terribly didn't fit the atmosphere. At least for modern high budget movie.

It's been a long time since I studied history, but what I do remember was the sword was the sword of St. George that had been lost for years and she found it in an old church after she had a vision of where it was. She didn't find it rolling around in a grass field.

averagejoe
2011-08-26, 04:01 PM
I thought that the Messenger came across as a movie with an agenda, as opposed to just a movie about Joan of Arc, but you might like that.

I usually don't. In fact, agendas usually ruin movies for me, even if I agree with the agenda. Still might be interesting. Thanks.

French film named "Jeanne captive" released this year at Cannes was pretty good. English title is "The Silence Of Joan", but am not sure it's been released in the US yet.

Here's the trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnJ0I7-IWqU&feature=player_embedded

Ah, French films, my old archnemesis. I was wondering when you'd show your face here. :smallannoyed:

Seriously, though, going on a Joan of Arc binge without taking in any French interpretations seems somewhat unforgivable.

Tirian
2011-08-26, 06:54 PM
Ah, French films, my old archnemesis. I was wondering when you'd show your face here. :smallannoyed:

Awww. But French films brought us Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources, which I constantly regret not mentioning in lists of best movies EVAR just because the dialog isn't in English. Still, whoa.

(Just to be clear, those aren't movies about Jeanne d'Arc.)

averagejoe
2011-08-26, 07:18 PM
Awww. But French films brought us Jean de Florette and Manon des Sources, which I constantly regret not mentioning in lists of best movies EVAR just because the dialog isn't in English. Still, whoa.

(Just to be clear, those aren't movies about Jeanne d'Arc.)

Oh, I don't think French film is bad. I've just had a... rather colored history with it.