PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade Optimization

MiniMalconvoker
2011-08-21, 11:54 PM
So here's the story. I'm playing in an "arena" style game (meaning that we are literally combatants in an arena) and our GM is being a ****. Pitting us against very powerful monsters, that are just out of our reach to defeat. Now I am a competent optimizer with a strong understanding of the rules but am currently working 50 hour weeks and have little time and energy to crunch numbers.

So here's what you guys are working with, lvl 5, Full splat, 6 feats (I know, I know, don't even ask) full Gold ect.

I almost never do this, but I need you guys to build me the most powerful Hexblade you possibly can within these parameters.

Thanks in advanced. :)

Coidzor
2011-08-22, 12:36 AM
Familiars kosher?

gorfnab
2011-08-22, 01:00 AM
Hexblade Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7412.0)

Human Hexblade
1. Dreadful Wrath; Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) or *Open Feat*
2. *Open Feat*
3. Practiced Spellcaster
4. Obtain Familiar, Dark Companion ACF
5. Improved Familiar (Hellhound, Earth Elemental, or Jaculi)B: Combat Casting
6. Imperious Command (if you get to this level)

*Open Feat* Power Attack, Extra Curse (Drg #339, can be taken more than once), Nymph's Kiss, Ability Focus (Hexblade's Curse), or Magic Device Attunement (may not be necessary if you max out your ranks in UMD, buy a Circlet of Persuasion, buy a masterwork tool of UMD, take Nymph's Kiss, and have a decent Cha).

Essence_of_War
2011-08-22, 08:32 AM
Do you know what level you're going to be playing through?

If you're advancing further than 5, are you married to hexblade for all levels?

MiniMalconvoker
2011-08-22, 02:46 PM
Familiars are indeed kosher lol. As for multiclassing out I'm not sure how much farther we will get but at least another level.

I know that Hexblade isn't the most powerful class in the game, but it fits best with my character concept. We certainly don't need to worry about dipping into anything as I doubt we will get far enough to where it would start to matter.

Curious
2011-08-22, 07:22 PM
You may wish to play as the Magus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus) rather than the Hexblade; it is rather more powerful , with much the same flavor, especially the Hexblade archetype. Here's the guide to them: Guide. (https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1DB6sOfbAzFmKVPgcyLWipTVqvWFjfDSv6v_YiGQb5Y w)

Essence_of_War
2011-08-23, 07:14 AM
I like Hexblade4/Crusader1 for the first 5 levels.

This qualifies you for Abjurant Champion at 6 if you'd like, and you can finish that out and come back for Jade Phoenix Mage if your game is still going.

I don't have my books in front of me, but I'm pretty sure you get the Crusader's Indomitable Will ability which stacks with the Hexblade's Arcane Resistance and of course, plays nicely with the Hexblade's Mettle ability.

So:

Hexblade4/Crusader1/AbjurantChampion5/JPM X

Draz74
2011-08-23, 01:30 PM
So:

Hexblade4/Crusader1/AbjurantChampion5/JPM X

I like it ... but I think it's worthwhile to take a 5th level of Hexblade. Gets you the bonus feat that helps you get into Abjurant Champion; gets you a second Curse per day (meh), and lets you delay your Crusader level until you can snag White Raven Tactics.

In return, all you lose is Emerald Immolation, which is a classy ability, but not truly super-powerful, and it doesn't show up until Level 20 anyway.

Jair Barik
2011-08-23, 02:11 PM
My favourite aspect of hexblade is that it is by far one of the easiest classes to get into a PrC at 5th level without resorting to cheese (precocious apprentice for example). Unfortunately the PrC in question is only Talon of Tiamat but hey, there is some fun I think that can be had with that if you want.

MiniMalconvoker
2011-08-23, 02:16 PM
You may wish to play as the Magus (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/magus) rather than the Hexblade; it is rather more powerful , with much the same flavor, especially the Hexblade archetype. Here's the guide to them: Guide. (https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=1DB6sOfbAzFmKVPgcyLWipTVqvWFjfDSv6v_YiGQb5Y w)

If only; unfortunately Pathfinder books are not an available option in this game :(. Good thought though.

I like Crusader... hmmm Yes I like it a lot. However I do agree that the 5th lvl of Hexblade would probably be worth it. Something to think about anyway.

My favourite aspect of hexblade is that it is by far one of the easiest classes to get into a PrC at 5th level without resorting to cheese (precocious apprentice for example). Unfortunately the PrC in question is only Talon of Tiamat but hey, there is some fun I think that can be had with that if you want.

If you refer to the OP you could infer that I am not above cheese at this point, so go all out, pull no punches, take no prisoners ect. :belkar:

Essence_of_War
2011-08-23, 02:20 PM
I think I concur with Draz74.

Hex5/Abj1/Crus1/Abj2-5 seems better.

Emerald Immolation is sweet, but hardly necessary, and you're unlikely to miss it anyway since you probably won't be spending much, if any, time at levels.

Draz74
2011-08-23, 02:36 PM
I've gone ahead and fleshed out the 20-level build some more. Obviously the Skills and Equipments sections aren't complete; this is just a start.

Human Hexblade 5 / Abjurant Champion 3 / Crusader 1 / Abjurant Champion +2 / Jade Phoenix Mage 9

Ability Scores (28PB): STR 14, DEX 14, CON 12, INT 10, WIS 8, CHA 16
Stats: BAB +20; Caster Level 16; Spells Per Day 2 / 2 / 2 / 1 before bonuses (5 / 4 / 4 / 4 Known; L17 progression)
Feats: [H]Combat Reflexes, [1]Power Attack, [3]Stand Still, [Hx5]Combat Casting, [6]Imperious Command, [9]Extra Granted Maneuver, [12]Martial Study (emerald razor), [15]Obtain Familiar, [18]Mage Slayer
Skills: 23 Concentration; 23 Intimidate; 4 Know(arcana); 2 Know(history); 2 Know(religion); 2 Spellcraft; 1 Use Magic Device ...; Never Outnumbered
Spells: (1) Detect Magic, Prestidigitation, Protection from Law, Entropic Shield, Augment Familiar; (2) Alter Self, Glitterdust, Mirror Image, Whirling Blade; (3) Greater Magic Weapon, Phantom Steed, Nondetection, Protection from Energy; (4) Polymorph, Greater Invisibility, Enervation, Solid Fog
Maneuvers (8 readied, 6 granted, IL 15): White Raven Tactics, Shadow Blink*, Greater Insightful Strike*, Rallying Strike, Inferno Blade, Action Before Thought*, Emerald Razor, Desert Tempest, (Burning Brand, Charging Minotaur, Revitalizing Strike, Divine Surge, Mountain Hammer, Douse the Flames)
Stances: Iron Guard's Glare, Thicket of Blades, Mystic Phoenix Stance, Firebird Stance
Equipment: Novice Ring of the Diamond Mind, Scholar Ring of the Diamond Mind, Master Shadow Hands, Eternal Wand (heroics) in a wand chamber, CHA +6, STR +6, DEX +4, CON +6, Third Eye Concentrate, Tome of Leadership and Influence

I like it. With Protection from Law, Entropic Shield, and Protection from Energy always Quickened and Extended for free, Enervation Empowered 1/encounter for free, and any other spell Quickened 1/encounter for free, that's actually pretty decent spellcasting, especially for a full BAB +20 build.

Person_Man
2011-08-23, 03:09 PM
As a weakish Tier 4 class, there really isn't much to optimize with the Hexblade. My advice is to take the Improved Familiar feat, buy a Wand of Alter Self, and Share Spell it with your Familiar. Google Optimized Alter Self and I'm sure you'll come across some useful handbooks.

MiniMalconvoker
2011-08-25, 01:49 PM
Thanks guys, Less work for me (so I can do more actual work :P)

No brains
2011-08-25, 02:19 PM
With Mettle and Arcane Resistance, you're pretty well insulated from any save or die spell. With your d10 hp, you can handle the damage reflex demanding attacks usually dish. Use this to your advantage and play recklessly. Don't be afraid to make risky moves, and take point when confronted by disintegrate. Even if the numbers hate you and you die anyway, you'll at least have the fun that keeps people playing barbarians when wizards are 'better'.

I also heard that there is a debuff build that combines hexblade and paladin of tyranny. You use your dark companion ACF, aura of somethingorother, and curse to weaken enemies for your allies to land the deathblow, I think.

Draz74
2011-08-25, 02:54 PM
I also heard that there is a debuff build that combines hexblade and paladin of tyranny. You use your dark companion ACF, aura of somethingorother, and curse to weaken enemies for your allies to land the deathblow, I think.

If you're going this route, the way to extend it is to eventually go mostly for Binder levels, with just dips in Hexblade and Paladin (and Blackguard). Binder can add another two curse-type auras.

Claudius Maximus
2011-08-25, 07:29 PM
Doomspeak is pretty nasty too if you're going the debuffer route. I think it's in either LEoF or Champions of Ruin.

Coidzor
2011-08-25, 07:34 PM
Doomspeak is pretty nasty too if you're going the debuffer route. I think it's in either LEoF or Champions of Ruin.

Champions of Ruin, page 20 from what I can find on the matter. -10 to a buncha stuff for one round... Are there any blanket immunities to necromantic effects? As it apparently is one.

However, it also is fueled by Bardic Music... Which a dip in Heartfire Fanner (Dragon 314, page 23 I believe) or Warrior Skald (Races of Faerun page 187, but 3.0 content that'd need to be tweaked a bit, IIRC) would get you.

Warrior Skald would be qualified for using feats you'd... probably(ish) want anyway.

Then again, maybe PrC Bard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm#prestigeBard) too.

Perform as a class skill would be the only really tricky one, since that would cost a feat. I think there's a way to just purchase things like skill focuses ala complete scoundrel, which is most of what heartfire fanner's feat prereqs are.