PDA

View Full Version : Illusionary flying creature

Blinkbear
2011-08-22, 07:06 AM
I am a dungeon master and thinking of an encounter for my current group. At this point in time, they will be in a large plain where cover is very rare. However, not too far away from is a very tall tree. I want to surprise them by an (illusionary) big flying creature hunting them to that tree. The creature is supposed to appear some 1600 ft / 500 meters away, approaching the player characters just as if it is seeking something or someone. My intention is that the player characters seek cover at the big tree to remain unseen. Of course, behind the big tree is an evil sorcerer together with its loyal shield guardian.

I like this idea and it is not supposed to be part of this discussion. But I require a spell (or spell chain) to accomplish this illusion.

The sorcerer is level 6 and human. So if metamagic feats are required, we have four to spend. I did not select any spells yet, so there we are free as well.

The distance between the caster and the starting point of the approaching creature is supposed to be long (400 + 240 ft) x 2.

Casting time is irrelevant. Duration concentration is alright.

I do not require sound, smell, texture or the like.

Basically, I require silent image with more flexibility - because as I understand it, the figment may not be moved outside the size of effect (not the reach).

Any ideas?

ILM
2011-08-22, 07:13 AM
Major Image lets you move the illusion within the range.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-22, 07:18 AM
I am a dungeon master and thinking of an encounter for my current group. At this point in time, they will be in a large plain where cover is very rare. However, not too far away from is a very tall tree. I want to surprise them by an (illusionary) big flying creature hunting them to that tree. The creature is supposed to appear some 1600 ft / 500 meters away, approaching the player characters just as if it is seeking something or someone. My intention is that the player characters seek cover at the big tree to remain unseen. Of course, behind the big tree is an evil sorcerer together with its loyal shield guardian.

I like this idea and it is not supposed to be part of this discussion. But I require a spell (or spell chain) to accomplish this illusion.

The sorcerer is level 6 and human. So if metamagic feats are required, we have four to spend. I did not select any spells yet, so there we are free as well.

The distance between the caster and the starting point of the approaching creature is supposed to be long (400 + 240 ft) x 2.

Casting time is irrelevant. Duration concentration is alright.

I do not require sound, smell, texture or the like.

Basically, I require silent image with more flexibility - because as I understand it, the figment may not be moved outside the size of effect (not the reach).

Any ideas?

Just remember, the range of Silent Image is: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level). And nothing says it has to be at scale. It could be sitting at around max range, fairly small looking, then start getting larger as it closes. You know, using cinematography tricks. Because that mac truck about to hit our intrepid adventurer is no closer nor further away than the big screen we're watching it on. Same concept.

There is no Core way of producing an illusion outside that range. Fortunately for you, there ARE ways to consider your range to start at a significant difference. This only requires a Familiar, through Share Spells.

If this is a one-trick pony, have him pick up a Scroll (he won't be able to afford it) of Veil (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/veil.htm) and cast it on his familiar. Now his familiar can look like ANYTHING he wants to. So his familiar, which I'm assuming can already fl, comes winging in looking like your Jabberwoky or whatever he wants to look like to spook the players into your neat little trap.

Why Veil, and not the VASTLY lower level Disguise Self? Simple. It can only affect your size by one foot. Veil, on the other hand, has no such limitation.

Blinkbear
2011-08-22, 07:27 AM
Just remember, the range of Silent Image is: Long (400 ft. + 40 ft./level). And nothing says it has to be at scale. It could be sitting at around max range, fairly small looking, then start getting larger as it closes. You know, using cinematography tricks. Because that mac truck about to hit our intrepid adventurer is no closer nor further away than the big screen we're watching it on. Same concept.

That's a good one. So basically, silent image without any boosts is sufficient. If the characters do stay where they are and realize that the creature at some point does not stay into its "frame" anymore, they know that something is fishy. Which is fine as well :)

ILM
2011-08-22, 07:47 AM
Or, you know, Major Image which lets you do exactly what you want to do and is a level 3 spell. Level 2, if you're a gnome.