PDA

View Full Version : No defence

Devronq
2011-08-22, 07:57 AM
Does anyone else feel that there is lots of ways to deal huge amounts of damage but there is very little if not any way to defend against it? I like the feel of a creature that you can blast the **** out of and when the smoke clears he's barely injured. What do you think is the best defensive creature that's not epic and doesn't have class levels. I also don't mean a creature that can cast some sort of spell like wall of force and abuse it too be invincible. What creature would survive that longest standing still letting everyone beat him in melee? ( and yes I know this is an odd situation but it's relavant to something I'm working on)

HappyBlanket
2011-08-22, 08:02 AM
Spell Resistance. Lots and lots and lots of Spell Resistance. Immunities, maybe a few Resistance from X spells (that takes class levels, I think), etc. Lots of creatures have both available, and plenty also have Damage Resistance/X.

Yahzi
2011-08-22, 08:04 AM
That's a general problem with D&D. There are a lot of spells for invading, killing, and looting, but not so much for defense. This focus on attack gives the murderous hobo adventuring party even more advantages.

Basically, the game is rigged for the PCs to win.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-22, 08:06 AM
Miss Chance would like to talk to you. Specifically, Greater Mirror Image, which basically gives you a 12.5% chance of hitting the correct 'me'. So the question is... do you feel lucky?

supermonkeyjoe
2011-08-22, 08:12 AM
Try a psychic warrior, or sticking the phrenic template on a beastie. Greater concealing amorpha, vigor, force screen, inertial armour and many other powers will give you something with a high AC, 50% miss chance, a stack of temporary HP and the ability to react to a whole load of spells as an immediate action.

Psyren
2011-08-22, 08:33 AM
Spell Resistance. Lots and lots and lots of Spell Resistance.

This stat is commonly overvalued. Not only do plenty of spells and all supernatural/extraordinary abilities ignore it entirely, it also forces you to waste actions when you want to be buffed or healed by your teammates. And if a spell does get through, SR does nothing to mitigate it at all.

HappyBlanket
2011-08-22, 08:36 AM
This stat is commonly overvalued. Not only do plenty of spells and all supernatural/extraordinary abilities ignore it entirely, it also forces you to waste actions when you want to be buffed or healed by your teammates. And if a spell does get through, SR does nothing to mitigate it at all.

Ah. I wasn't very familiar with it, so thanks. That being the case, then, SR isn't something that should be particularly bothered with. Miss Chance is still very useful, however, as is a significant AC and a nice chunk of HP.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-22, 08:39 AM
I use the disbelief mechanic and apply it to all spells via SR; rather then binary you remove a given percentage of the spell that is "resisted."

137beth
2011-08-22, 08:39 AM
A swarm of fine creatures with spell immunity. That way it is immune to weapon damage and magic:smalltongue:
Oh, you still want it to be beatable?
Okay then, give it high DR, spell resistance, resistance to all energy types, and high constitution.
Or give it prismatic sphere as a SLA, and the ability to run out, attack, and run back in. It would still be beatable, you'd just have to find a way to interrupt him while outside the sphere, OR destroy it.

Psyren
2011-08-22, 08:49 AM
A swarm of fine creatures with spell immunity. That way it is immune to weapon damage and magic:smalltongue:

All you need here is an area spell that ignores SR - something like Arc of Lightning, Blast of Flame, Vitriolic Sphere or Deadly Lahar. Bypassing energy resistance/immunity is cake via Searing Spell or Energy Substitution.

Nachtritter
2011-08-22, 08:49 AM
See, that's why you have to play wizards cunningly. The wizard should only go toe-to-toe with an enemy after all his other tricks have failed. A good combination of magical traps, illusions, summoned monsters, buff spells, and the odd use of a fireball from a distance can really soften up a decent enemy without your caster ever coming into range. If you're in a position where you, as a wizard, are within striking distance of a foe, then either you or your teammates are doing something wrong. Granted, there are situations where you just can't help but get mugged by some fiendish dire hydra with halitosis, but if something's running up to you to attack, get the hell out.