PDA

View Full Version : The earth was young [IC]

Trufflehound
2011-08-22, 08:39 AM
There is a two-masted, 30 ft boat at the docks, called the "Expiring Frog". One hobbit is working on it, and another is standing next to it with a sign saying, "EMBASSY".

Eledragon
2011-08-22, 09:38 AM
A hobbit that is slightly taller than most approaches. his silver hair comes down in numerous small braids that resemble shining twine. Obviously a warrior, he wears a suit of scale armor, with a sword at his hip and a tower shield with the sun of Pelor inscribed upon his back.

"Hail! I am the Paladin Alaric! I was told by my superior officer that there was an ambassador upon this ship that I was chosen to guard! has he arrived yet?"

he approaches the dock as he speaks, striding easily and calmly towards the boat.

Trufflehound
2011-08-22, 10:50 AM
The halfling, with short red hair and sideburns, looks up with a dull glare. "I've waited here since dawn, but you're the first. And chances are I'll be waiting here for another six hours before the rest get here. And I get payed twelve silver a week to stand here waiting for my arms to fall off. And I'll get cooked to a crisp if the sun comes out, and I get a nasty cold if it doesn't. Say, would you mind being halfway decent and holding the sign for a few minutes while I eat some breakfast?"

Eledragon
2011-08-22, 10:52 AM
"of course! it's no trouble at all!"

he reaches out to take the sign.

he will wait 1 hour, and if the hobbit dosen't come back, he will rest the sign against a dockpost to go looking for him.

Trufflehound
2011-08-22, 11:01 AM
The hobbit goes into the boat, takes out some bread and cheese. He sits down on the edge of the boat with his feet in the water to eat. "If you want," he says, "you can have some too when I'm done."

When he's done, he takes the sign back and starts twirling it in the air.

Perform: Sign twirling [roll0]

Eledragon
2011-08-22, 12:08 PM
"No thank you! I had a small breakfast, and I should be able to last until lunch!"

He looked appreciatively at the sign and doesn't look to have the even the slightest notion of smiling when he drops it.

He then approaches the boarding ramp, to go and speak to the captain of this vessel.

Trufflehound
2011-08-22, 12:52 PM
There is only one hobbit on deck; he's mending a net. He is short and hatless.

Eledragon
2011-08-22, 12:55 PM
"Hello!" Alaric cries. "Might you be the captain?"

wuwuwu
2011-08-22, 01:22 PM
Tom, having spent his Monday traveling from his farmstead, and his Monday night drinking with strangers, and his Monday morning the same, arrived at the dock shielding his eyes against the sun and still a little groggy.

Pointing at the sign, he chuckles and grunts.

"Heh, spelled it wrong."

He shuffles over to the sign hobbit and runs his hand through his wavy brown hair.

"'Parrently I've been vacated to work for this here Ambassy. Don't remember applyin', but then again I don't remember a lot of things."

He notices the name of the boat.

"Yeesh. Grand name for a grand ambassador, I'm sure."

Tom takes a seat on whatever crate or barrel he can find nearby and cradles his head in his hands, groaning intermittently.

Trufflehound
2011-08-22, 03:28 PM
"Hello!" Alaric cries. "Might you be the captain?"

The hobbit looks up from the net. "That I am. Hello there. Any complaints about your lodging?"

The hobbit holding the sign looks sadly at Tom. "You don't look too well. Suppose what you'll be like after you're seasick too, heh. Well, I hope you're not too sick to hold the sign while I have a bite of breakfast, are you?" He looks at the sign and squints. "And did I really mispell it? Not again."

Eledragon
2011-08-22, 03:47 PM
"I have no complaints, for I have not seen them yet! I would be pleased if you would show me them, though, and then I shall wait on the pier for the ambassador."

he smiles jovially at the man.

when he has seen his room, he will drop his backpack, bedroll, and waterskin on the bed, then returns to the pier and sits down to wait for the ambassador.

wuwuwu
2011-08-22, 03:56 PM
The hobbit holding the sign looks sadly at Tom. "You don't look too well. Suppose what you'll be like after you're seasick too, heh. Well, I hope you're not too sick to hold the sign while I have a bite of breakfast, are you?" He looks at the sign and squints. "And did I really mispell it? Not again."

"Sure, I'll hold it, if you bring me back an apple? Fruit's a cure-all for alcohol, I hear."

He pulls out the letter and shows it to the red-haired hobbit.

"Yea, see? Right here, AMbassador, not EMbassador. It'll be fine, though. Get's the point across well enough."

Tom puts the letter away and accepts the sign.

Trufflehound
2011-08-22, 04:04 PM
The captain frowns. "Well, we don't exactly have quarters. You can probably clear out a space below deck, if you don't mind the smell of fish. But not to worry, it should only take two or three hours, with a good wind. We'll be there by night. If your pal gets here by then."

The red-haired hobbit gratefully runs back into the boat, breakfasts on bread and cheese, and brings out a firm, though slightly shriveled, apple.

Eledragon
2011-08-22, 04:07 PM
"Ah! very well then!"

he then heads back towards the docks to wait.

when he notices Tom
"Hail traveler! are you to be traveling upon this boat as well?"

Falconknight06
2011-08-22, 04:17 PM
A tallish Halfling in blue canvas trousers and a light blue shirt, longsowrd at his side, approaches the boat with a grin on his face. This looks to be a fine vessel, and it reminds me of a story. The Halfling pulls a pipe out of a pouch and lights some tobacco, sitting down on a crate and beginning, not speaking to anyone in particular.

The Kestrel was sailing through rough seas, the captain standing on deck, yelling orders to his crew as they maneuvered away from the monster following them. The only noise they could hear above the captain and the wind, was the roar of the great serpent that was trying to make a meal of the ship. The captain knew he would have to do something, so he made a decision, he brought the ship around, ramming the prow of the boat into the serpent's side. Caught by surprise, the serpent didn't know what happened, as blood spurted forth from the new hole in its side, the serpent let out one more cry as it sank into the ocean. Needless to say, when the ship made it back to port, the captain was thanked by the crew and there families with a big celebratory dinner.

Perform (Storytelling)
[roll0]

EDIT: Completely normal story. Darn

Trufflehound
2011-08-22, 04:28 PM
"Don't give up your day job." The sign halfling says.

Mangles
2011-08-22, 04:42 PM
Shorter than the rest of them, a very pale halfling joins the growing group.

"Morning all. Are we nearly ready to cast off?"

Omegonthesane
2011-08-22, 04:42 PM
A figure padded through the streets, headed in a circuitous route to the docks, almost seeming more interested in trying to act inconspicuous than in what the route actually was. Thus, he was delayed somewhat. Regardless of some successes in actually sneaking past people he failed on the inconspicuous front, too, as this was a city; the hobbits here wore finer, and better fitting, and less mud-stained things than the coarse, baggy shirt and trousers covering the traveller. That was before there was any mention of the obvious green hooded cloak, or the obvious bulge of a backpack undernead the cloak, or the red hair on display for all to see, not even with a hood up.

Truth was, Red wasn't really trying. Besides, it would take much more than casual looks to see the belt of knives hidden by the oversized shirt, or the leathers under the baggy clothing. Soon enough, to the docks he'd gone, and to the only obvious sign he went soon after.

"Em... bus... ee... Is that where an am-bass-a-door goes?" It was hard enough remembering the short words sometimes; for Red, saying the big ones took real care. Besides, the girls at home said it was cute.

Noticing the growing group, he moved closer to the ramp; he'd hold out until the question was answered, but obviously that was where the group of Tchielo's ambassadors were meant to go.

Trufflehound
2011-08-22, 05:15 PM
The halfling with the sign looks over the two halflings, and then back at the sign. "Not sure what an embassy is. They just told me to spell it like this. But I thought ambassadors go to other countries. Why do you need a fancy word for that?"

After musing for a few minutes, he says, "Five of you here, right? I think we need one more. Which of you is the ambassador?"

wuwuwu
2011-08-22, 05:31 PM
Tom accepts the apple graciously, and eats it in large, slowly chewed bites.

"Thanks. Here's your sign"

He nods at the armored halfling.

"Aye. The name's Tom Willowbow, but some call me Swigfist. I'm a notorious drunk, but I can apparently fight well enough to guard an ambassador. How about you?"

The conversation is cut short by the arrival of the storyteller. Listening intently, Tom claps at the end.

"That's a nice tale! Well, it's a confidence builder to know that sea monsters can be beaten!"

Listening to all the new arrival's talking, still nursing his skull, he pipes up, "Wasn't the ambassador named Techello or somethin'?"

His gaze drifts to the pale one.

"You look like an ambassador. Is it you?"

Eledragon
2011-08-22, 05:48 PM
he listens attentively to the narrative, and smiles broadly at the end.

"It truly is delightful to have a tale-teller on any travel, regard less of length. However I was not informed of anybody else accompanying me. I suppose we should introduce ourselves. My name is Alaric."

Mangles
2011-08-22, 06:47 PM
"I'm no ambassador, the story teller is probably more silver toungued than I, and certainly more knowledgable. Prehaps it is the one we are waiting for. The name is Ling by the way."

Falconknight06
2011-08-22, 07:24 PM
Me, oh I'm no ambassador. I was merely asked to accompany the ambassador as I know quite a few stories about the land we are headed to. The name is Markas Silvershaper As Markas begins to talk of the Ambassador, he looks wistfully for a moment, almost starts to tell another story, then stops, remembering the sign Halfling's earlier comment.

The_Admiral
2011-08-23, 01:37 AM
Running into view, James raises his hand and say's Hail!. Reaching the deck, James proceeds to say. Sorry i'm late

Trufflehound
2011-08-23, 08:13 AM
All having arrived, the ship sets sail due east. The March sun is setting by the time the ship drops anchor, some 200 feet from shore.

The captain looks apologetically at you lot.
"Sorry, but there aren't any docks here, and I won't take my boat a foot closer to that cursed shore... Third longest boat in the island, and I'm not about to waste it. The passage might have been easier during the day, I'll admit. But you'd better hurry fore you can't see anything at all."

Eledragon
2011-08-23, 08:25 AM
Alaric seeks the captain. "Captain, Why have we stopped? I did not see a dingy on board, yet you have anchored us a fair distance from shore! is a small boat going to pick us up, or am I just blind?"

Trufflehound
2011-08-23, 08:43 AM
The captain corrects; "A safe distance from shore. You might find it convenient to have my boat stuck on a reef, but I don't. Tell me if you see any safe landing places."

Eledragon
2011-08-23, 09:36 AM
"Hmm...let's see..."

spot: [roll0]
search: [roll1]

Trufflehound
2011-08-23, 10:06 AM
You can't tell how deep the water is. The waves are small, maybe affairs of six inches. The beach is a long stretch of white sand. After three hundred feet of beach, there is a thin strip of shrubbery in front of a forest.

The boat has ropes, nets, and what appears to be a waterskin full of air on a rope.

Eledragon
2011-08-23, 10:21 AM
Alaric turns around and asks the captain "Have you got something heavy?"

take rope from the pile you mentioned, and if the captain hasn't got anything heavy, attach one to a net. Alaric will then lower it down into the water, estimating how much line has been let out, until he feels the net hit bottom. use rope check: [roll0]
intelligence check, then dexterity check if wanted, to feel when the net hits bottom. [roll1] [roll2]

Trufflehound
2011-08-23, 10:32 AM
The captain offers you his sounding line. The water shows up as seven feet deep on the shoreward side of the boat, 7'4" on the offshore side.

wuwuwu
2011-08-23, 11:22 AM
Tom doesn't enjoy the trip very much, spending a third of the time puking over the railing.

"Shoulda known they'd vacate me off the island, too."

He watches the paladin measure the water depth. Seven feet! That's more than twice his own height!

"So, Cap'n... You're not expecting us to swim the rest of the way?"

As if to emphasize that this option did not sit well with him, Tom ran back over to the edge and vomited again.

Trufflehound
2011-08-23, 11:44 AM
"Well, I suppose you could... don't know what else you have planned. Don't tell me you lot don't know how. If you have stuff you need to keep dry, I've got a waterproof bag you can put it in for the time.

"But you could swim... or some of you could swim in and drag back a log that the rest can float in on, if you want."
The captain pulls out a pole.
"But while I wait, I'm going fishing."

Eledragon
2011-08-23, 12:01 PM
"that sounds like a good idea. i should be able to pull one, though I may need some help. who will come ashore with me?"

swim check: [roll0]
strength check to push the log into the water: [roll1]
he will try to find a log that at least 3 hobbits can hold onto. the hobbits will have to take 2 trips, but it has a much higher chance of floating. if no logs are available, he'll have to chop down a tree with his sword(:smallfrown:).
attack roll: [roll2]
damage roll: [roll3]

he will leave his backpack, waterskin, bedroll, and belt pouch to be put into the waterproof bag.

wuwuwu
2011-08-23, 12:54 PM
"Well, as bodyguard to the ambassador... who I'm really not sure who that is yet. I suppose it is my duty to guard his body from the water. I'll swim ashore, too."

Tom says as he strips down to minimum decency, leaving his clothes, sledge, flail, backpack and all on the deck of the ship. He carefully lowers himself down the rope and splashes into the water.

Swim check: [roll0]
Strength check to help Alaric: [roll1]
He can't really help knock down any trees, except making strength checks to try to push one over

Falconknight06
2011-08-23, 12:58 PM
I will accompany you. Though I am not as strong as maybe another in the group might be, I should still be able to help Markas will say, removing all of his equipment except a bandolier of daggers around his torso and his pants and shirt. He packs the rest of his equipment into his backpack. He will then follow the paladin.

Here's hoping I don't die
Swim
[roll0]

Trufflehound
2011-08-23, 03:36 PM
The three of you make it safely to the shore and into the forest. There are logs. But the few logs and branches you are able to move are too thin to give much bouyancy.

After some time Tom and Alaric hear a high melodic sound, like that of a stringed instrument. It seems to come from the south.

Omegonthesane
2011-08-23, 04:06 PM
Red seems to handle the trip fine, apart from being busy staring into space while half the group try to swim for it.

"If you were going to dump us out here, why didn't you give us a dinghy?" he complains, while looking for some route that doesn't have obvious reef foam showing.

Spot check [roll0]

Mangles
2011-08-23, 04:28 PM
Ling grumbles with the rest of the now abandoned crew before hopping into the water and trying to swim to shore.

[roll0]

"That music is probably our welcome party. Hopefully a feast awaits us."

wuwuwu
2011-08-23, 04:30 PM
Tom breaks a hefty branch off of a log.

"What was that? Blast that it'd show up when I'm almost nekkid."

He begins backing towards the shoreline, motioning for the others to follow him. He stays alert, trying to detect the source of the sound. Eyes forward, he mutters to his companions,

"One of you try to get the attention of the boats."

Spot check: [roll0]

Eledragon
2011-08-23, 04:39 PM
"Now, this is the reason we were told never to take our armor off at the Academy!" Alaric whispers excitedly, straining his eyes to look for the music.

"I don't have anything on me to signal the ship with, I left my whistle onboard. do either of you have something that would create light?"

spot check: [roll0]
search check: [roll1]

Trufflehound
2011-08-23, 05:48 PM
Red seems to handle the trip fine, apart from being busy staring into space while half the group try to swim for it.

"If you were going to dump us out here, why didn't you give us a dinghy?" he complains, while looking for some route that doesn't have obvious reef foam showing.

Spot check [roll0]

The boat is not anchored near any spots with reef foam; there are a handful right by the beach in the shallows, but that's all.
The captain glares at Red, and icily says, "If you were going to go adventuring, why didn't you learn how to swim? Complaining is not going to make things better."

As Ling is getting close to shore, the others see a figure, about three feet tall, walking through the trees in their general direction, about 80 feet away.

Tom and Alaric: It appears to be playing a violin of sorts.

Falconknight06
2011-08-23, 05:53 PM
Wait, what are you guys talking about. I don't hear any music. Now come on, we need to get our equipment and people over here Markas will say as he gathers some logs that should at least support the equipment bag left on the boat.

Eledragon
2011-08-23, 05:58 PM
"Look! that might be a hobbit, it's about the right size. We should wait to approach it until the others arrive, however. Don't want to face a force of evil undermanned."

another spot and search check to determine the creature: [roll0] [roll]1d20-1[roll] listen check to see if he knows the music [roll1] and knowledge: religion, then knowledge:history checks if they help at all: [roll2] [roll3]

Omegonthesane
2011-08-23, 06:35 PM
"'Cause there wasn't a swimmin' teacher at home was there? You know boats, this shouldn't have been new to you, you call yourself a sailor?"

Looking down at the water, Red finally dumps the cloak, and dives in, since everyone else has.

Swimming [roll0]

Mangles
2011-08-23, 07:53 PM
"All this talk of evils is a bit extreme. It probably is just our guide. They do know we are coming right."

Eledragon
2011-08-23, 08:00 PM
"We were taught in the Academy to trust nothing you can't look in the eye. seeing as I can't even tell if it's a hobbit or not, currently, I should stay alert. I would advise you to do the same."

wuwuwu
2011-08-23, 08:58 PM
Tom calls out to the figure.

"Oi! Cut out that racket, please. I'm nursin' a hangover over here!"

He turns his head to his companions, keeping his body facing the potential threat.

"Think I should ask him to hail friend or foe? Aye, that'd be a good idea, wouldn't it."

He holds the branch in the pit of his arm and cups his hands over his mouth, to project the sound better.

"Be you friend or foe?"

Falconknight06
2011-08-23, 09:52 PM
Still unsure what the others are babbling about, Markas ties a rope around his waist and swims to the ship with a log for flotation to retrieve the gear bag.

Hopefully, I don't drown
[roll0]

Eledragon
2011-08-23, 09:59 PM
"Well, at least we know for sure that it knows we're here..."

Alaric seems excited at these happenings, but also a bit anxious. he obviously wants to go and find out who-or what- the creature is, but he holds himself steady due to his training.

Trufflehound
2011-08-23, 10:46 PM
Alaric doesn't recognize the music, and he can't see anything more. Those who swim do so without drowning, though not without effort.

The figure runs up, with a grin on his face. He does turn out to be a halfling, dressed in good, but travelworn clothing. He has unkempt blondish hair, and a fiddle under his arm. "At last, the right companions!"
He tucks the fiddle back under his chin and plays a short piece; he plays it quite beautifully and stirringly. When he finishes, he looks around at you all and says, "Well, you can't guess how happy I am to finally meet you!"

Falconknight06
2011-08-23, 11:00 PM
Seriously, why am I the one doing the swimming while the strong ones pretend to hear music Markas thinks to himself as he swims for the boat

Mangles
2011-08-24, 12:16 AM
"Happy enough to offer us some shelter and food? Its getting dark and my belly is getting loud enough to attract the animals."

The_Admiral
2011-08-24, 01:48 AM
James gets up groggily from his sleep. Rubbing his eyes, he then looks around and say's Hey where did everyone go?

Eledragon
2011-08-24, 06:39 AM
"Hello! Who Might you be, and have you been expecting us?" Alaric instantly relaxes as he sees it's a halfling and breaks out in a warm smile."We would indeed like a fire to warm ourselves by, at the very least. we have 4 other companions, and 1 of them will be bringing our belongings here shortly enough."

Trufflehound
2011-08-24, 10:21 AM
The hobbit laughs. "Shelter? Food? I haven't seen a blessed bit of shelter for a week. Food I have, though it's running low; don't think it would fill the lot of you. But if you get a fire going, I'd be more than happy to share what I've got." He opens his knapsack and tosses it onto the ground. "I didn't expect you; you learn not to expect things in these parts. The unexpected tends to happen. I've just been yearning for some hobbit to talk to. Gnomes aren't the same, you know, and today I've just been badgered by random animals who want to learn how to play the violin."

He sits down on a log. "What on earth are you doing in this neck of the woods, wetter than water itself?"

Eledragon
2011-08-24, 10:28 AM
"well, friend, you are welcome to our fire anyways. we are wet because we had to swim ashore, as our boat that ferried us here neglected to bring a rowboat of any kind. our friend has gone back to the boat, to advise our friends to swim ashore and grab our things. we came here as an...escort. Gnomes you say? we were told about them in our lessons...are they really green, and do they actually worship badgers?" Alaric stands up straighter, wanting to hear more about these foreign creatures.

Trufflehound
2011-08-24, 10:41 AM
"Well, there's gnomes and there's gnomes. The ones you usually see... if you manage to see them... are green and short, with large ears. Can't say they're beautiful. But they can disappear into the forest like a tree, and leave fewer tracks than a rock. They don't worship badgers, but I have seen them ride them.

"Then the other gnomes, they aren't green, they're quite tall, and they live underground. They disappear into the forest like a rock and are as quiet as a falling tree. They're more talkative. I have seen one bow down in front of a badger hole mumbling prayers, I think. Queer chaps."

wuwuwu
2011-08-24, 12:04 PM
Tom relaxes, dropping the branch.

"These gnomes sound like odd fellows. I don't think I'd want to meet one. Do you got a boat? It'd be much better than havin' all our group swim across."

Eledragon
2011-08-24, 12:20 PM
"Fascinating! I wonder how they tame the beasts, though..."

Alaric gets a ponderous look upon his face.

Trufflehound
2011-08-24, 03:05 PM
"Nope, no boat." the hobbit says, pulling an onion out of the knapsack. "But I'm not sure how they tame the badgers... animals here are queer... funny things... a wolf, a fox, and a rabbit all wanted to learn how to play the violin today... Ah, here we go." he adds, pulling out a handful of nuts, a wedge of cheese, and two overripe apples.

Eledragon
2011-08-24, 03:28 PM
Alaric politely says no thank you, "I have rations in my pack, and you need it more."

Mangles
2011-08-24, 08:38 PM
"Low food, no shelter, what kind of mad place have we come too. I'm sure my stomache is going to hate me for it. Well does anyone know why we are here?"

Trufflehound
2011-08-24, 10:58 PM
The hobbit replies, "Well, you've got me on that one. What are you doing here?"

Suddenly he stops, and turns around, looking to the southeast, where he had originally come from.

Red: Red hears a noises from the southeast. Should he look or already be looking, he sees a wolf running at full speed towards the stranger. He cannot act before the wolf attacks, but he can act in the surprise round before initiative begins.

A wolf, charging at full speed from that direction, bites the hobbit's arm and throws him to the ground.

Mangles
2011-08-24, 11:18 PM
Ling steps back in surprise and summons his energies to defend the strange hobbit.

Initiative:[roll0]
Summon swarm of bats on the wolf when its my turn. Shaping the bats to not affect the rest of the team. The bats do [roll1] damage plus wounding 1hp per round. Also a fort save DC 11 or wolf is nauseated.

Omegonthesane
2011-08-25, 05:36 AM
Seeing the wolf incoming, Red's first instinct is to draw two of the daggers from his belt; before he has time to throw them, the wolf's become occupied with the stranger.

Red's second instinct is to move behind the wolf.

Initiative: [roll0]
On his turn, if still alive, Red moves behind the wolf - such that it's between him and the stranger, for flanking purposes - and throws the two daggers he's drawn.
Attack roll 1: [roll1]
Base Damage: [roll2]; Sneak Attack Damage: [roll3]
Attack roll 2: [roll4]
Base Damage: [roll5]; Sneak Attack Damage: [roll6]

Eledragon
2011-08-25, 07:59 AM
Alaric, quick as lightning, draws his blade and attacks the wolf.

since nobody but red is here yet, he doesn't have his shield. take this into account for AC.

attack roll: [roll0]
damage roll: [roll1]

if crit:
crit confirmation: [roll2]
crit damage: [roll3]

wuwuwu
2011-08-25, 11:54 AM
Tom, naked and unarmed, sees only one proper solution to the situation.

He rushes towards the wolf and gives it a powerful uppercut, hoping to at least surprise it enough to make it drop the poor hobbit in it's jaws.

Initiative: [roll0]
Attack roll: [roll1]
Damage roll: [roll2]
If critical threat

Confirm: [roll3]
Damage: [roll4]

Trufflehound
2011-08-25, 11:57 AM
First Red draws his weapons as he moves behind the wolf, to throw. One dagger hits the wolf. The stranger was prone, and thus wouldn't let you flank, but more importantly you can only flank with melee attacks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#flanking). So no sneak attack damage this time.

The stranger gets up, evading the wolf's bite, and flees to the other side of the fire.

Alaric moves up, drawing his longsword, and swings at the wolf. He comes close, but slashes thin air.

Ling concentrates his energies, and a swarm of bats collects around the wolf.

Edit: Tom simply hits the wolf hard in the face.

Initiative, in case you haven't figured it out:Wolf, Red, Stranger, Alaric, Ling, Tom

The wolf snaps back at Tom's fist, but doesn't get it.

A fox runs past Red, curving to avoid the fray.

Eledragon
2011-08-25, 12:49 PM
with a hard face and blank expression, Alaric slashes in a powerful blow.

power attacking at 1.
[roll0]
[roll1]
if crit:
[roll2]
[roll3]

Omegonthesane
2011-08-25, 02:40 PM
((D'oh.))

Red moves into position again, picking up the thrown daggers on the way, but somehow fails to act otherwise.

((Largely because I need BaB 1 for weapon-drawing to be part of a move action, rather than a move action in its own right))

Mangles
2011-08-25, 04:55 PM
Ling dismisses the bats with a wave of his hand a conjures spiders instead. The pests outline forms out of purple and then fills in as they come into being, covering the wolf and biting him everywhere.

spiders do [roll0] + the 1hp the wolf looses from wounding this round
fort save DC 11 against loosing strength [roll1] from the poison
and fort save dc 11 against being nauseated.

LIng readies a free action to dismiss the spiders should the wolf fall

wuwuwu
2011-08-25, 05:19 PM
Realizing punching the beast would bring his throat and face close to the beast, Tom decides to lean back and give a nice kick, hoping to hear the crunch of a broken bone.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
If critical threat:
Confirmation:[roll2]
Damage[roll3]

Trufflehound
2011-08-25, 06:26 PM
Alaric thrusts his blade deep into the beast's side. The stranger shrieks something garbled about a fox and bunnies, and runs off.

Those who go after Alaric can either keep the initiative going for a little bit, or break out of combat mode. I assume they don't go on with the courses of action just mentioned.

Edit: The wolf's dead, or appears to be so.

Eledragon
2011-08-25, 07:39 PM
if it's dead:
"WAIT! IT'S PERFECTLY FINE!" exasperated, Alaric starts rooting through the bags for equipment, dons it, and charges after the hobbit.

if still alive:
"DIE, BEAST!" Alaric swings his sword again, hoping to finish the creature off.
[roll0]
[roll1]
if crit:
[roll2]
[roll3]

you might want to wait for me to say I go after him before you ask if they want to follow me :smalltongue:

Omegonthesane
2011-08-26, 02:28 AM
"We should make sure, it could just be dying." Red pads over and, unless there's any resistance, cuts the wolf's throat.

Out of his combat action, Red still picks up his thrown daggers.

If there is resistance, presumably I'm about to be highly surprised...

wuwuwu
2011-08-26, 10:08 PM
Tom looks to where the strange halfling ran off to, and shivers.

"This is gonna get a hell of a lot stranger, innit? I'm gonna help the others get back, and get the rest of our gear. You guys hold the fort." he says before wading out into the water and swimming back to the boat.

Swim: [roll0]
and I guess for the way back, [roll1]. I'll help whoever needs helping/swim with the log, so you can add penalties for that if needed.

Trufflehound
2011-08-27, 09:25 AM
Alright... if other people wanted to go, they had 36 hours to do it in. And Eledragon, the equipment bags aren't there yet.

Red cuts the wolf's throat without any problems. Alaric runs off after the hobbit.

Tom makes little headway against the short waves, and is met by the return party when it comes.

Trufflehound
2011-08-27, 05:30 PM
After a minute or two, Alaric comes back to the party in the woods. The stranger follows him, walking and whistling as if nothing had happened.

Eledragon
2011-08-27, 05:47 PM
"We had an encounter with what seemed to be a hare and a fox made of shadow. the hare is slain, but the fox escaped. would any of you know anything about shadowy creatures such as these?"

when the bag gets here, he takes his equipment. if anybody wants more detail, you can have it.

Mangles
2011-08-27, 06:35 PM
Ling thinks back to the stuffy office his uncle once had and the tombs it once contained

knowledge arcane check [roll0]
knowledge whatever else [roll1]

wuwuwu
2011-08-27, 07:50 PM
"Shadowy foxes and hares? I'm starting to think rather poorly of this whole expedition." Tom says as he throws his clothes and armor back on. He looks around at the gathered hobbits.

"Everyone here? Where's the Ambassador?", thinking back to the docks and order of arrival, he turns to James, "You're the Ambassador, right? Last one who showed up, must be you! Where are we supposed to be headin', sir?"

The_Admiral
2011-08-27, 09:45 PM
Raising his hands, James say's I don't know he said to wait for further instructions when we arrived.

Eledragon
2011-08-27, 09:51 PM
"Fellows, I don't know why but I believe we have been tricked. my orders specified that the ambassador was to meet me at the docks. No warning was given about your traveling as well. Nobody has stepped up and claimed to be the ambassador from those among us. no clues have been given to where the ambassador may be. I believe that once our things are in order, we should camp here for one night, then try and find the nearest settlement so that we may purchase a ferry ride back. If we have gotten no word by then, we must assume that this adventure was a false one." Suddenly, Alaric spins around to face the stranger.
"say, I don't believe we ever got your name. May I ask what it is, and if you are the ambassador we were sent for?"

The_Admiral
2011-08-27, 09:57 PM
Yes I am the ambassador and our mission as far as I know is to deliver this letter to Queen Fate Morgana taking out a sealed envelope from his bag.

Eledragon
2011-08-27, 10:00 PM
Immediately adapting to this situation, Alaric wheels about to face James. "and yet you just said you were not the ambassador. would you mind informing us why this trickery has been going on? and who is this Queen Morgana, and where is she?'

The_Admiral
2011-08-27, 10:06 PM
I said I was the ambassador. I thought you already knew I was.

Eledragon
2011-08-27, 10:10 PM
"You never said anything of the kind! all I heard out of you was 'Sorry I'm late'!"

"I may have overreacted, but you never informed us of who you were!"

The_Admiral
2011-08-27, 10:14 PM
James bow's as he says I apologies for not informing everyone.

Eledragon
2011-08-27, 10:18 PM
Alaric pauses, then plants his sword in the ground and kneels. "Junior Paladin Alaric, reporting for duty, ambassador."

The_Admiral
2011-08-27, 10:33 PM
Scratching his head, James say's Don't please this feel's strange

Eledragon
2011-08-28, 06:45 AM
Standing up and sheathing his sword Alaric stands up and says "Very well" with a small smile.

The_Admiral
2011-08-28, 06:59 AM
Stowing away the letter, James say's So where are the further instructions? looking perplexed.

Eledragon
2011-08-28, 07:03 AM
slowly spinning around again, Alaric asks the stranger "Were you sent here to await somebody, or to inform an ambassador? if not, could you show us the way to the nearest town tomorrow? I, personally would like to clean my armor. and get some good sleep."

Trufflehound
2011-08-28, 09:48 AM
"And I thought I was the strange one here, refusing lessons to rabbits and whatnot." He takes a bite from one of his old apples. "Well, I only just found out what you lot are doing here, but I'm afraid I can't help you much. Wasn't sent to meet you or anything. But lets see... you want to go to a town... and then to the Queen's court? The nearest town I know of was a week away. I went by West-Northeast-Northwest, following stream and meadow. But if you go directly South-east-east, skirting the bog when you get to it, you could get there in two days, I suppose. If you really care about getting there. But the court... I think she moves it from season to season... never been there... if I had, I'd never have come back... leastways not like this... catkin season almost over... course she could just have winter and summer courts... but I wouldn't be surprised if she moves it every springthaw and strawberry season... strawberries aren't quite ripe yet, pity... should just be a few days... I passed a whole hill of them a few days ago... So what are you doing here again?"

The_Admiral
2011-08-28, 10:05 AM
Why do you say you would never have come back from the court?

Trufflehound
2011-08-28, 10:18 AM
"Eh? Sounds like a nice place to be, don't you think? If I spent years on the risky journey just to have a chance to get in, I'd want to stay. Comfortable living all day long, safe, good food... Though I've heard you become like one of them if you stay there long enough."

Eledragon
2011-08-28, 10:24 AM
"And I believe we should go the short way. this may be an important message, and should be treated as such."

Alaric's eyes get an excited glint.

wuwuwu
2011-08-28, 12:21 PM
Tom shakes his head, standing up and stamping his foot down.

"No. Nonono-no-no. No. We ain't heading through no bog in this crazy shadow-foxing wolf-attacking land. Bogs are always the strangest and eeriest places. I say we take the extra time and go along the stream."

Mangles
2011-08-28, 07:56 PM
"Maybe we should ask the 'local' which way we should take. Is the bog safe enough to travel?"

Trufflehound
2011-08-28, 09:10 PM
"Local? First time I've been called that. Well, I wouldn't recommend going through the bog... smells funny... not like the rest of the land... usually ruled by some bog lord... dangerous places... but if you just skirt the edges you should be fine. The stream isn't exactly safe either. Flows away from the bog, you see. Plants weird around there... animals too... accursed things want to play my fiddle... won't stop talking... and I wouldn't drink it if I were you. But the country around here is all strange in some way really. Sometimes the scariest parts are the most normal ones. Mostly because the bandits only stay in the normal areas."

Eledragon
2011-08-28, 09:43 PM
"hmm...it sounds as if skirting the bog is actually safer than the river, and I can summon water if we need any. We don't want to have to deal with banditry, so going neither way is a tenuos idea at best... are there any ideas? I do still feel as though camping for the night might be wise."

Mangles
2011-08-28, 10:34 PM
"A fresh start in the morning would be nice, maybe sleep in a little. Atleast in the light we will be able to see what we want to avoid."

Omegonthesane
2011-08-29, 09:10 AM
"Ech, the bog's gonna stink... I'm not camping in there, won't hurt to start camp now." Having swum with all his kit, Red began deploying a tent.

The_Admiral
2011-08-29, 10:29 AM
James say's This man speaks words of wisdom pointing at Red and then goes off to look for firewood.
Do I need to roll anything?

Eledragon
2011-08-29, 10:36 AM
"I shall attempt to start a fire. Do any of you have a pot or pan of some sort? We may be able to make a stew of some sort...does anybody have a string and hook? There may be fish in that river that would make a fine supper. A better question, does anybody know how to distinguish mushrooms? otherwise, we may have to stew up some trail rations, and trust me when I say that they are not the most appetizing meal."

survival check for the fire: [roll0]
and I would say a search check for wood.

The_Admiral
2011-08-29, 11:17 AM
A few hours later, James returns with an armful of firewood and he say's Where shall I put this?.

Eledragon
2011-08-29, 11:31 AM
Alaric looks thoughtful for a moment, then says "a good 10 feet from the fire circle", pointing to the circle of stones laid out on the ground in a thick line, "And see if the others have anything to cook with and eat with, otherwise we'll be having rations. also, ask if anybody can cook." Alaric fishes out his flint and steel from his belt pouch and starts to light a fire once the wood is placed.

Falconknight06
2011-08-29, 04:56 PM
As Markas climbs out of the water, he speaks some words and waves his hand as it lights in a silvery flame that gives of no heat, and very little light. He moves the flame over his clothing, drying and cleaning his clothes so as to look more presentable. He then straps his equipment back on from the bag and watches the interactions with this stranger unfold.

Markas cast Prestidigitation

Trufflehound
2011-08-30, 01:12 PM
The stranger finishes his apple and some bread, then makes himself a bed of dry leaves under a bush.

The_Admiral
2011-08-31, 08:22 AM
Having placed the firewood, James places his backpack on the ground with his chain shirt on top and his sheathed sword. He then proceeds to flop on the ground next to his gear with his hands behind his head and stare at the clouds.

Eledragon
2011-08-31, 08:37 AM
Alaric bends down, gathers some tinder, and tries to light the fire.

survival check: [roll0]

Falconknight06
2011-08-31, 12:25 PM
Markas will go off looking for some plants he recognizes to be edible, even though it is not his strongest point.

Survival Check
[roll0]

Markas will only collect it if he is sure it is edible

EDIT:Well, that turned out pretty well considering. I figure Markas knows some plants from his grandfather and things he has learned while travelling

Mangles
2011-09-01, 05:22 AM
Ling tries his luck at finding some food as well.

survival: [roll0]

Stuffing his face with whatever he finds, he settles down for the night. "We should probably place a watch. I don't need to waste my night replenishing spells so I can help there."

wuwuwu
2011-09-01, 08:30 AM
Chuckling at everyone running around to set up camp and gather food, Tom sits down at the fire and pulls out one of his rations.

"I'd help," he says as he takes a bite of the crusty, but nourishing, brick, "but it doesn't exactly fall under the duty of guarding bodies to dig up roots or light fires."

"And I can't exactly do the watch thing. I exhausted myself swimming back and forth, and brawling with wolves while naked. Could hardly,"he yawns,"keep my eyes open as it is.

Finishing his meal, he takes a swig from his flask, and using his backpack as a pillow, rolls over and goes to sleep.

Eledragon
2011-09-01, 08:36 AM
"I will take first watch." Alaric states, pulling out one of his own rations and his waterskin.

listen/spot checks for watch
spot:[roll0] listen:[roll1]
spot:[roll2] listen:[roll3]
spot:[roll4] listen:[roll5]
spot:[roll6] listen:[roll7]
spot:[roll8] listen:[roll9]
spot:[roll10] listen:[roll11]
spot:[roll12] listen:[roll13]
spot:[roll14] listen:[roll15]
spot:[roll16] listen:[roll17]
spot:[roll18] listen:[roll19]

The_Admiral
2011-09-01, 10:01 AM
His eyes slowly closing, James say's Alaric wake me up when your watch ends I will take second watch.

Mangles
2011-09-01, 05:15 PM
Ling settles down for the night. "Wake me when you need me."

Trufflehound
2011-09-01, 07:56 PM
A cloud cover starts coming in after midnight, and James sees the stranger pick up his bag and leave just before dawn.

The wolf carcass is starting to smell. Flies are collecting, and a vulture is in a high branch overhead.

wuwuwu
2011-09-04, 10:31 AM
Tom wakes up waving the air away from his nose.

"Didn't anybody take care of that? This is one of the more rancid smells I've woken up to!"

He quickly readies himself for the day, splashing some water on his face, taking a swig of his flask, and donning his armor, and marches upwind of the carcass.

"I'll be guarding your lordship from over here, if you don't mind!" he shouts back to the group.

Eledragon
2011-09-06, 06:48 PM
"Well, it seems that we might as well skirt the swamp, pertaining our conversation with the stranger, so we might as well set off!"

Alaric seems to practically shoot out of bed and gather his things.

The_Admiral
2011-09-07, 02:04 AM
Getting up, James puts un his chain shirt and takes his sword. He says So skirting the swamp it is. Where is the swamp anyway? looking around.

Mangles
2011-09-07, 07:49 AM
"Who knows where anything is in this weird place." Ling gets up and stretches before packing up and getting ready to leave. "Where is that other guy we met, he'll probably know."

Eledragon
2011-09-07, 07:54 AM
"It seems he left in the night." Alaric calls, settling his gear into place.

"The stranger said the bog was to the south-south-east. Does anybody have a compass? I would prefer to have a definate direction to head in."

Falconknight06
2011-09-07, 07:07 PM
Remind me not to go swimming anytime soon Markas will say, moving stiffly as he dons his armor and equipment. Pulling out a piece of hardtack from his pack, he takes a bite and takes a swig of water, chewing thoughtfully. Once swallowed, he asks with a bit of sarcasm So, who's leading our little expedition through this wonderful new place?

wuwuwu
2011-09-08, 09:42 AM
"I vote the ambassador leads us. I feel it's an appropriately leaderly title. Bodyguards are never leaders, I don't think."

Mangles
2011-09-08, 09:46 PM
"As good as anyone to lead." Ling mock bows to the ambassador.

The_Admiral
2011-09-09, 09:21 PM
Why thank you. turning around he then say's Does anyone know which way is south east east?

Mangles
2011-09-12, 12:25 AM
"Well the sun rises that way. We just point towards and go a little to the right."

The_Admiral
2011-09-12, 04:16 AM
Well that's clever Onwards! James shouts as e marches in the mentioned direction.

Mangles
2011-09-12, 04:54 AM
Ling trails behind the ambassador and his inevitably too eager bodyguard

Eledragon
2011-09-12, 05:52 AM
Alaric instantly starts striding, keeping an easy pace.

Trufflehound
2011-09-12, 10:01 AM
A few large beetles of some sort emerge from the bushes and begin feasting on the wolf as you leave. A drizzle picks up. The terrain changes little as you march on; the land continually slopes upward almost imperceptibly, the trees grow slightly larger, the moss slightly thicker. Only the occasional creek breaks the monotony of the forest, and the trees seem to only begrudgingly let the streams go past.

At about three o'clock, you come to a treeless hollow, about two hundred feet across. It is green and grassy, sprinkled with clover patches. In the center stands an old gray stone gazebo, about twenty feet across.

Falconknight06
2011-09-12, 06:42 PM
Well, this seems odd. Why would there be a shelter here? Markas will ask quizzically, as he moves to study the building, trying to glean what he can from it.

Bardic Knowledge
[roll0]

Mangles
2011-09-13, 05:51 AM
"Its just a gazebo. Lets have a rest before we press on. Hell we could spend the night here, better than the beach."

The_Admiral
2011-09-20, 02:45 AM
Hmm good idea

Eledragon
2011-09-20, 07:48 AM
"I agree. The gazebo is a usable shelter, and as it is stone, able to build a fire in. Camping for the night here seems a good idea."
Alaric strides off towards the gazebo.

The_Admiral
2011-10-13, 02:11 PM
James say's I'll get the wood as usual and strides of into the forest to do so.