PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Cat

changingvamp
2011-08-22, 01:34 PM
You've learned of a strange phenomenon in a city called Darem. Many people who go to the city never return, and rumors claim that an evil sorceress traps them in a fog. These tales have you intrigued and you've made your own path to the city. You are staying at Three Tails, an inn recommended to you by a guard as you entered the city. No doubt he receives payment for directing business to the inn, but the room you've been given is quite comfortable, and the meal sent to your room shortly after your arrival was exquisite. It is morning, and you go through your usual routine. When ready for the day you make your way to the common room on the ground level of the inn for breakfast to find the space rather full. A young elf wearing a clean white apron meets you as you survey the room and says “This morning's mealtime is rather busy. I’m afraid that I’ll”

You are led to a table and are joined by 4 others. The young server clears her throat and begins “This morning our cook is serving scrambled eggs, fruited porridge, or left over beef stew. All come with bread, sweet butter, and hot tea.” she looks to learn what you would like.

A halfling woman begins “I would try a bowl of porridge. Would it be possible to also get a bo...glass of milk with the meal?” she asks. The elf server agrees quite pleasantly and turns her attention the the rest of the table.

After all the orders have been taken the woman vanishes into the crowded room.

The halfling looks to each person at the table, and sighs “My name is Melafinching. My friends call me Mel. I've left my friends though, a man came into our village and told my pa, and the pas of the others that there was some powerful magics here in Darem. My pa told my siblins and me, but when I asked Chasa and Flan they said wasn't no such thing. I told 'em to ask their pas, but next day the story man was runned out of the village. Told pa I wanted to see the magics, he said I could come so long as I didn't stay gone past Eshen's Day*1 next. There's a lot more world to see than I knew when I left home. I don't think there will be chance to see enough of it if I'm to be back ask promised.” Mel becomes quiet when an elf stops at the table with several cups of tea. The halfling settles herself in the chair that seems several sizes too large for her and sips slowly at the hot cup in front of her.

*1 Knowledge Religion DC 20:
You've heard of a Eshen. She is a keeper of hearth and home in some small villages without proper temples. She is not a goddess, but merely a sign of the villagers' devotion to cleanliness and family. Her day is celebrated by a great house cleaning in the spring shortly after the planting time.

InariTheHero
2011-08-22, 03:34 PM
The half-elf was up shortly before dawn by habit. He enjoyed rising before the sun; the dark made him feel like he had some peace and quiet. Not that he was short on time for himself these days; the roads were long and the silences loud. Still, he had at last found a place where he might put his abilities to use; a true place of beginnings. His thoughts wanted to linger on the rumors that had drawn him to Darem while he washed up, but he held them at bay until he settled to meditate. Most men in touch with the divine spent their mornings in prayer, strengthening that connection to prepare for the coming day, but his thoughts did not go out to any deity. His concerns were for those in the mortal coil, and it was these thoughts which gave him strength. By the time he had finished, the sun was up and shining through the small window to his room. Dressing himself more fully, he made his way out and down to the common room.

The traveler was a handsome young man, his features just a bit too touched by his blood to mark him a human. Though sturdy, he was slim and pale, and his ears carried a telltale elongation, not quite as pronounced as those of a genuine elf. His hair was dark and thick, and his large eyes were a golden-brown. He wore simple clothing that spoke of his time on the road; his boots were getting well-worn and his cloak was dusty, though he'd done his best to shake it out.

"Scrambled eggs, please. Water instead of tea," he ordered simply when the server seemed to turn to him first. His voice was a sturdy bass, but he seemed to be soft-spoken. When the server departed and the halfling spoke up, his listened quietly and attentively, though he did glance around the table once or twice to take in his fellows.

"You aren't the only one to hear of magic being worked in Darem, but I dare say you would rather not see it done," he said slowly when the halfling finished, straightening up in his seat. "From what I have heard, there are foul magics afoot here. People are being harassed, not given a show." He did not know what truth there was to these claims, and it showed on his face as he looked around the table, wondering if others had heard the same.

Got a +4 on the Knowledge (Religion check), so here goes that roll, if I remember how to do this right...

[roll0]

And here's the spell list for today.

0- Create Water, Detect Magic, Light

1- Cure Light Wounds, Summon Monster I

Mangles
2011-08-22, 04:48 PM
"I'll have the stew." Ran laments. These houses make people soft and he could almost feel his claws blunting at the coyness of it all. He should have camped outside the wall, but that guard had been convincing. Ran could have sworn that girls had been mentioned but now that he thinks back he can't remember the guard ever saying it.

EDIT: seeing as everyone else is doing it. Here is my prepaird spell list
Create Water
Detect Magic
Cure Minor Wounds
Entangle
Magic Fang

Gray Mage
2011-08-22, 07:18 PM
The red haired human woke up just before the dawn. Seeing the red, ember colored, sun rise in the morning has been a habit he's had for a long time, but it still had the same effect as it had when he was a little child, bringing a warmth to his heart and being happy to be able to see it once again.

Following up with his routine morning execises and training, he proceeds downstairs. Askelad was short, but still well built, young men, still in his late teens, the fire of youth burning bright in his eyes. He wears simple and battered traveller's clothes, with only the occasional sound hits the chain mail underneath and has a long, slightly curved blade hanging on his belt.

He stops his hand halfway to bring a buttered slice of bread to his mouth, hearing the conversaion. "You mean that talk about a sorceress being in town?"

Readied maneuvers:

Burning Blade
Sapphire Nightmare Blade
Mighty Throw
Clinging Swadow Strike
Wolf Fang Strike

Ishcumbeebeeda
2011-08-23, 09:00 AM
Hope nobody minds if I sit here, interrupts an odd man. Of average height he has fine scales instead of skin, ranging from charcoal grays to inky blacks, his shoulder length hair a bruised purple color, and rather disheveled. No room left for the locals it seems. he grumbles as he takes a seat, clunking down what appears to be a broken life-sized toy eagle. Pulling out a bag of gears and other mechanical effluvia he speaks up a little as the serving girl starts to scurry away I'll have my usual, Lin. Turning back to his tinkering he speaks to the table at large. So, what brings you here.

changingvamp
2011-08-23, 10:04 AM
The halfling seems discouraged for a moment,"I never seen magics that 'ould make such a fuss. Pa talks sometimes 'bout mendings the wizard does in Tameric. Folks from the village will walk the two days to git somethin' fixed. I never heards of magic so powerful people brin' the stories from more 'an a month away." She then addresses the newcomer "I'll still be goin' ta have a look at the magics. You must know where this fog can be seen sir. Maybe you 'ould show me. I'm Mel, what's your name?" The girl seems very interested in the eagle that's been placed on the table.

All of a sudden there is a commotion across the room. Four women come running from the kitchen each screaming "Rats! from another table a man rises and motions to the kitchen door. He follows a large black cat into the room. The dinning area has grown so quiet that you can hear the man speaking loudly*1 After a few minutes the kitchen becomes quiet as well and one of the women goes back to the door. They're gone. She says, Every one of them, the rats, Mr. Jinkers, even his cat, gone. People begin talking to one another, and you catch bits about how there's never been magic within the city gates and that surely someone will do something to stop this menace.

*1 Knowledge Arcana DC 15
The man is casting several different spells in attempt destroy the rats.

Mangles
2011-08-24, 08:35 PM
Ran growls, wishing even more that he spent the night outside. People who disappeared in the wilderness atleast had easy explenations for it. "We should get out of here. Something like this is bound to attract attention."

Gray Mage
2011-08-24, 09:19 PM
"And let whatever did that get away with it? Running away from here won't do us much good if it decides to target us. I'd rather take the initiative."

InariTheHero
2011-08-24, 10:14 PM
Considering whether to pursue discouraging the halfling, the half-elf perked up at the commotion from the kitchen. The others spoke, but he had nothing to say. Rather, he pushed his chair back and stood, pausing only to note with annoyance that he had neglected to bring his gear. He generally felt that wearing armor and sword to breakfast was in poor manners. There would be knives in the kitchen, at least, which he could handle well enough.

He didn't know if the others at the table intended to follow, but the incident was too alarming to ignore. He made his way through the place to the kitchen, keeping an eye out for a suitable weapon to take up on the way or inside.

Bah, and I had been agonizing over whether to have him be in his gear for this when writing his intro post...I hope a kitchen knife would count as a suitable dagger, if there's something in there.

Mangles
2011-08-25, 06:01 AM
Ran stands and follows closely to the half elf closely, a large grin on his face. "Well if we are going to make a disturbance I guess I could have some fun with it."

Ishcumbeebeeda
2011-08-25, 05:12 PM
As the final cog is finessed into place the eagle on the table springs to sudden life. Kitchen, growls the dark man and the bird soars above the heads of the mob toward the kitchen. Ma'am, I don't mean to be rude, but I think you should go home. As he speaks the cups, plates, silverware and other detritus of the meal slowly begin to levitate, some of them changing colors as a small deluge of tiny, crude flowers showers the halfling, only to crumble as they fall to the floor, leaving nothing but sparkling dust. You've seen your magic, after all, he finishes with a wink as he pivots away and walks after the others. Name's Ghax, he shouts over the noise to the others heading toward the disturbance. Just in case anybody wanted to know.

changingvamp
2011-08-25, 05:26 PM
The kitchen is indeed void of living creatures other than yourselves. There is however a small ring of orange dust. Small paw prints can be seen moving out of the ring of dust as well as one cat paw that seems to have stepped into the ring.

InariTheHero
2011-08-25, 08:04 PM
The half-elf led the way into the kitchen, ducking with a start of surprise as a bird darted overhead a moment later. Taking in the area, he snatched up the first kitchen knife he saw, but his eyes fell only on the ring of dust. His head tilted slightly in curiosity at the sight of the pawprints that continued to appear. Uncertain of what was going on, but unwilling to step into the ring himself, he snatched up a pitcher of water from a nearby counter. Aiming for the pawprints, he gave the pitcher a jerk and splashed water on them and the dust.

Gray Mage
2011-08-25, 09:07 PM
The man followed the other two into the kitchen. Misteries in every corner? Living mechanical birds? Coming to this city was his best idea ever.

"You can call me Askelad, Ghax." He says, whiletaking a good look into the kitchen.

Mangles
2011-08-26, 01:22 AM
Ran picks up some of the dust and tastes it, trying to determine if he can recognise it.

Rathgar
2011-09-03, 03:31 PM
A fairly well dressed man with bright orange hair and reddish skin peeked around the corner. "Well, what seems to be going on over here?" The man took a puff of his cigar, then cast Detect Magic to see if he could figure anything out that way.