PDA

View Full Version : PATHFINDER: Movement Questions

Gandolfi Feesh
2011-08-22, 10:47 PM
Hi guys,

Just statted up a 14 Gnome Sorc for my friends campaign, just need to iron out a couple of creases before the carnage commences.

I have taken the elemental bloodline which allows me a burrow speed of 30 feet, which materials am I able to burrow through? Any tips and tricks to using this ability effectively are more than welcomed.
I'm guessing I would lose line of effect with regards to redirecting spells such as Contagious Flame whilst underground?!

I also invested in a magic carpet, what type of action would it require to move the carpet; i.e. Would it require a move action from myself or would it move on it's own accord, thus allowing me to direct my Ball Lightning as a move action and still be able to move that round?

Any help much appreciated,

Gandolfi Feesh

Psyren
2011-08-23, 06:13 AM
Were the rules for burrowing included in the CRB? The SRD says they weren't and copies the 3.5 wording, but the PF-only Burrow spell (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic/all-spells/b/burrow) has key differences - such as allowing you to dig (slowly) through rock, and leaving a tunnel others can follow so long as they stay close behind you.

Baroncognito
2011-08-24, 06:29 PM
A creature with a burrow speed can tunnel through dirt, but not through rock unless the descriptive text says otherwise. Creatures cannot charge or run while burrowing. Most burrowing creatures do not leave behind tunnels other creatures can use (either because the material they tunnel through fills in behind them or because they do not actually dislocate any material when burrowing); see the individual creature descriptions for details.

As to how to use this effectively, I can't really say. If you burrow like an earth elemental does:

A burrowing earth elemental can pass through stone, dirt, or almost any other sort of earth except metal as easily as a fish swims through water. If protected against fire damage, it can even glide through lava. Its burrowing leaves behind no tunnel or hole, nor does it create any ripple or other sign of its presence.

ericgrau
2011-08-24, 08:26 PM
Well you don't get it until level 15, at which point it's next to fly 60' for air and swim 60' for water. It seems like it should likewise be impressive, perhaps like the earth elemental ability quoted above. But then I wonder why you don't get some sort of tremorsense to find your way around. Better pick up some kind of spell instead, even a locate creature targeted at a party member.