PDA

View Full Version : 1.21 GIGAwatts (or what would you do with 18k gp)

McClintock
2011-08-23, 10:28 AM
We just finished a module and as a reward the module is giving us 18k worth of magic items. (I have secured permission to kick in the remainder if the item is more than 18k) Here's the rub: I know what module we are going into next and I don't want to walk into it overpowered of the bat.

SO here is what I am and what I already have:

Tiefling Swash3/Fight2/Dervish3/Tempest2
STR: 14
DEX: 24 (with +4 gloves)
CON: 15
INT: 17 (with +2 headband)
WIS: 14 (with +2 periapt)
CHA: 6

Gloves, headband, periapt, +2 cloak resistance, mithral shirt +2, hewards handy haversack, +2 scimitar, +1 scimitar of dragon bane, ring of deflect +1, boots of flying

I initially thought about getting celestial armor, but max dex is too low on it and I can fly with the boots. Playgrounders I only have til Sunday night at 7pm central to get this approved. and MIC is out unless I can talk the DM into it. He's looking for signature items, or a set of signature items (think LOTR and the gifts from Galadriel)

Keld Denar
2011-08-23, 10:43 AM
Honestly, you have most of your bases covered, and a lot of slots filled. The really good things (Ring of FoM) are out of reach on that budget.

I'd see if you can get your Cloak of Resistance +2 upgraded to +5. That'll cost 21,000g for the upgrade, so you'll have to kick in 3,000g, but the extra +3 on all saves will really save your bacon if its gonna be hard, without completely trashing the game given that its a defensive item.

Alternatively, look at getting Celestial Armor, then eventually sell the boots for Boots of Speed. Personal Haste is something that is tougher to get than flight.

Also, gratz on taking Tempest, the PrC that actually makes you WORSE at TWFing. :smallcool:

McClintock
2011-08-23, 11:17 AM
1: Duh.. I completely read Celestial armor wrong. I will be going that route.

2: flying for haste... I'll have to think about that.

3: 2 levels of tempest give me full BAb, d10 hp, (EDIT) it also increases my AC, and lessens my 2weapon fighting penalty by 1 how does that make me a worse 2WF??

gorfnab
2011-08-23, 12:14 PM
3: 2 levels of tempest give me full BAb, d10 hp, (EDIT) it also increases my AC, and lessens my 2weapon fighting penalty by 1 how does that make me a worse 2WF??
It does not give you any precision damage.

NecroRick
2011-08-23, 12:24 PM
Greater Healing on the armour (from MIC though). Prevents you from dying, up to 2x per day.

Andorax
2011-08-23, 12:51 PM
Well, you certainly don't leave a lot to go on. Nothing about the source of the item to indicate what it's nature (and signatureness) might be like. No background, description, or even alignment on your character...just the stats.

So pardon if these are shot-in-the-dark suggestions.

Flask of Distilled Speed

A small boot-flask that holds within it a thin, watery substance that slowly, gradually refills over the course of a day. Upending the contents grants the drinker the effects of a haste spell for 10 rounds, and that amount can be divided up as desired.

(Essentially, a slotless version of boots of haste. Normally, priced at 20,000, a reasonable argument can be made that in this form, the activation would take a standard action, and that this ought to knock the price down at least to 18k. Haste is very valuable to a Dervish build, as it gives you both another attack AND more movement.)

The going rate for a Scabbard of Keen Edges is 16k, and unless you've invested in Improved Crit, it could be a quite handy thing to have...and maybe even double up on down the road.

Con is always your friend, and since the standard slot for a +con item is already taken, you need to either look for a creative alternative (Vest of +Con is popular, and 16+ for a +4 means lots of extra survivability for yoU) or grab a Pink Rhomboid Ioun Stone (+2 Con for 8K). Then again, the Iridescent Spindle Ioun Stone (at 18K) isn't a bad call either...sustains creature without air.

There is something to be said about the versitility of a Minor Ring of Spell Storing (18k) and some reasonable assistance from your companions.

Keld Denar
2011-08-23, 01:02 PM

Tempest (compared to...2 more levels of Dervish?) is horribly feat intensive (granted, some of them are the same as Dervish, but not Spring Attack), encourages a Spring Attack style of movement (rather than Dervish Dance style full attacks which are clearly superior) which doesn't mesh well with TWFing, even if it does give you a single offhand attack with it, and you are already utilizing a twin blade style of combat, so the 2-as-1 feature is worthless. The only thing it does is get rid of the TWFing penalties, which in actuality, is only a +2 to hit. Contrast this with what you would have gotten with 2 more levels in Dervish, and having spent the Spring Attack feat on something more worthwhile.

Yes, you spent resources (feat and 2 levels) for +2 to hit and a bunch of craptacular abilities. You actually made your TWFing build worse by taking it. Not significantly worse, but still worse. You probably could have gotten something better out of two more FIGHTER levels, and thats saying something. The better option would have been more Dervish levels to get more dances/day and work your way closer to Thousand Cuts, AKA Turbo Boss SlayerTM.

prufock
2011-08-23, 01:29 PM
Sovereign Glue, 2400 gp
Salve of Slipperiness x6, 6000 gp
Universal Solvent x7, 350 gp