PDA

View Full Version : Tell me about the most interesting character you ever played.

Jaklefire
2011-08-23, 03:01 PM
Mainly i DM but there was this one character that i played who had a multi personality disorder that my DM ruled in and i would roll a d% to see if that round i thought i was an alchemist, a bard, or a tyrannosaurus. I would keep my same abilities, but it was rather hysterical when me and my party had to convince the king of bunnies to aid us in defeating the giants, and i broke out and tried to eat them. but who needs bunnies anyway.
Ok my character is lame, lets hear yours. :smallbiggrin:

Malimar
2011-08-23, 03:18 PM
Most of mine tend to be fairly tame. There are two I particularly liked, though:

1.) Ludgeblatt Curdlegut, stereotypical half-orc fighter/barbarian. Except he was raised by humans, and had above-human-average intelligence, so he was actually capable of speaking perfect Common. And his real name was John Baker. He had an affected orcish accent (or pidgin, you might say) in which he normally spoke, all ":thog:LUDGEBLATT SMASH" and ":thog:LUDGEBLATT HIT IT WITH HIS HAMMER", because people respond poorly to the unexpected, and a cultured, educated half-orc is nothing if not unexpected.
But when he flew into a barbarian rage, he would lose the concentration necessary to keep the ruse going, and would go all "You will die slowly as I tear your spine out from the bottom and reinsert it at the top."

2.) Jack Jackson, Attorney At Law, Specializing in Interspecies Law, Also an Adventurer. That's what it said on his business card, that's what everybody called him when they mentioned him. He's a factotum, because he went through a long string of schools and affiliations (mage's guild, thief's guild, fighter college, seminary, and so on) before eventually determining that he was unsuitable for any civilized profession. So naturally he went into law.
Unfortunately, I didn't get to play Jack Jackson for more than a couple sessions.

Kenneth
2011-08-23, 04:49 PM
My fave character was a long time ago. uhh 14 years ish I think.

This was back in 2nd edition I was a human fighter/elemental mage 3rd/18th I do believe (it was a rather high powered campaign, as the goal was to stop a demonic invasion, and travel to hell to put a smack down on the fiend in charge)

My character(he was a 12th level mage by this time) Married his child hood sweetheart and the morning After the wedding she gave birth . To a non human creature, so my Character FUH-REKKED!! and proceeded to cast a series of spells ending with FIRE DEATH SPELL! something that I literally just blurted out as was RPing the scenario.

Later on during the initial burst into Hell my character polymorphed into a hunk of cheese, and since the DM made the rule I can spell cast in any form, I floated down the river Styx and when surround by curios demons, I cast the after-mention FIRE DEATH SPELL, killing most of them to which I then replied 'BEHOLD!!!! THE POWER OF CHEESE!"

The game ended before the campaign actually finished, so my character never got to make amends for what he had done and find his wife somewhere to atone. AH the one campaign that I wish I could go back and finish out of the hundreds I’ve played that are unfinished.

ZombiePunch
2011-08-23, 05:56 PM
Jack Jackson, Attorney At Law, Specializing in Interspecies Law, Also an Adventurer. That's what it said on his business card, that's what everybody called him when they mentioned him.

I've seen you mention this before and it cracks me up.

I believe the most interesting character i've ever played would be Nikolai Silverfang a Ranger/Monk/Paladin/Knight of the Chalice

He grew up in a small village of demon hunters at the base of a mountain
and he adventures with a tiefling rogue/wizard who was running from her family. Alot of interesting roleplaying because he was determined that she was evil and somehow masking it from him. He also got a celestial mountain lion in lieu of a mount.

Zonugal
2011-08-23, 06:19 PM
I once played a character that through simply role-playing him could destroy campaigns through his ignorance, hubris and luck.

Theodore Rexly, Safari Hunter and Storyteller! He was a Fast Hero/Explorer/Gunslinger who poured most of mechanics into tracking & being a good as possible with a buffalo rifle. He also took the cohort feat and attained Ching-Ching, a ten-year old, obese, Cantonese genius who had been running opium dens.

Theodore Rexly was of Prussian-decent, 65 years old (born in 1878; the campaign took place in 1943 Germany) and had drifted into insanity (the DM fully believed it to be from Syphilis). He had no father and his mother was extremely distant so he adopted father figures from literature. But as opposed to simply seeing these heroes in print, he believed their exploits to be real. And as he grew up he forged himself, going off of those he saw as role-models, into a real life imitation of dime-store novel heroes.

T-Rexly was a liar, a coward, a show-off and a crack shot. Any act of heroism he saw on his adventures by another he would immediately attempt to credit as his own, before they could, so as to gain the praise of the public. His greatest admirer was Ching-Ching, who felt he owed T-Rexly his life as he had been saved by him. The story Ching-Ching has been told was Theodore had come upon Ching-Ching's village being attacked by a pack of Bengal tigers. Sadly he wasn't quick enough to save any adults but he snapped the neck of the last tiger before it attacked Ching-Ching (in all reality the DM made the decision that Theodore bought him as a young slave to be called upon when he was older). Ching-Ching followed Theodore around on his missions for two reasons. The first was his actual expertise, medical/pharmaceutical knowledge, which was used to stop Theodore from dying from Opium over-doses. The second was Theodore teaching him life lessons (awful ones be it). Ching-Ching actually ended up being the most useful member in the party as while he was ten years old he was a genius in technology, science, medicine and much more fields.

Theodore Rexly, when played, was described by the DM & other players as the worst, racist and amoral character they had ever seen. The DM played with a rule called Racism with the Door Open which was supposed to prevent most players from getting too outrageous. Two minutes into my introduction the DM had to stand up and close his door out of fear. And being a method actor and such I only continued this line of thought. With a wisdom of 8, you really have to jump on first impulses (which I did against the angry cries of the other players). Once had another player get up, after a comment from Theodore to his character, to try to fight me from rage. There was another joke from the DM that Theodore Rexly could not die because Africa wouldn't let him. But as opposed to Africa loving him it was simply ancient magic that commanded that Theodore must die on African soil by the inhabitants/animals/vegetation of Africa.

In the end the party who was separated by race, creed, nationality and everything else decided that my character literally was Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan. They bonded together and became trusted friends out of their ruthless hate for my character.

So that is the most interesting character I have ever played. A character who I developed for over period of six to nine months, pouring over his psyche and history. Molding him into a being of pure imagination brought to life in a Nazi-punching d20 Past campaign.

Stix
2011-08-23, 06:52 PM
Now, granted this wasn't a character i played but it was in a game i DM'd.

my friend kyle played a halfling rogue that had the entire world including the rest of the party (and perhaps himself we're not sure) that he was a bard. he would even on occasion step out of combat to strum on a lute he carried around. he may not have been the most helpful in a lot of situations but darn was he entertaining to have around.

Rimeheart
2011-08-23, 07:29 PM
That would have to Jonathan swift... a Merman type of guy though he hid the merman part of himself from society due to their racisim. He had a love of books and librarians. Unfortunate for him he only managed to father one child on a librarian.

He was scouring the world for information on his race and why they were so hated. One of his greatest deeds would be to go through the bars in various port cities thanks to his magical wizarding powers stealing money and then using that money to set up orphanages. He was a kind man to children no matter what his name suggests!

Nachtritter
2011-08-23, 07:45 PM
Hathorn the Half-Orc Druid/Sorc. He started out as your basic "I love nature" guy, and ended up being the brains of the entire party even with a paltry 14 intelligence. How, you may ask? Well, his wisdom score was god-tier - it started at 18, thanks to a lucky roll, and only went up from there. So I figured good ol' Hathorn was your standard "Wise old cowboy" type of adventurer - the one who never hustles anywhere, knowing patience pays off in the end.

Boy howdy, does it.

Here's an example. Thief finds trap, attempts to disarm. Through a combination of bad rolls and general buffoonery, the thief mucks up the trap enough that he can't disarm OR repair it - it's still active, and by Kord's beard one wrong breath'll cause it to go off. Even worse? It's a fireball trap, activated by a pressure plate, placed in a corridor we (a) had to go through and (b) was barely 10 feet wide. In short, we could either go back or risk the trap and go forward. To add insult to injury, the trap would regenerate after a time - it's how the dead cleric of whatsit kept all those pesky adventurers out of his tomb, after all.

Long story short, everyone had their own opinion on how to avoid it - jump over it (which would require a roll - and one bad roll with set it off leaving the rest of the adventurers on fire), use stone shape to warp the stone over it (which the GM said wouldn't work, as the stone would "compress" the plate or something, setting it off), cast fly to fly over it (which was a waste of a dang useful spell, in my opinion), and so on. So I write the GM a note, asking if there's a long bench with long legs but a shallow middle around. Roll perception, lo and behold, there is, one about fifteen feet long. One strength check later, Hathorn's managed to bridge the bench over the plate without triggering it, walked across it (although I had to make a balance check to avoid falling off), and hopped off harmlessly on the other side. All via private notes.

It was fifteen minutes later before the GM said "You guys suddenly notice Hathron is on the other side of trap, waving at you with a very smug grin on his face."

Good times.

twas_Brillig
2011-08-23, 07:54 PM
I once played a character that through simply role-playing him could destroy campaigns through his ignorance, hubris and luck.

Theodore Rexly, Safari Hunter and Storyteller! He was a Fast Hero/Explorer/Gunslinger who poured most of mechanics into tracking & being a good as possible with a buffalo rifle. He also took the cohort feat and attained Ching-Ching, a ten-year old, obese, Cantonese genius who had been running opium dens.

Theodore Rexly was of Prussian-decent, 65 years old (born in 1878; the campaign took place in 1943 Germany) and had drifted into insanity (the DM fully believed it to be from Syphilis). He had no father and his mother was extremely distant so he adopted father figures from literature. But as opposed to simply seeing these heroes in print, he believed their exploits to be real. And as he grew up he forged himself, going off of those he saw as role-models, into a real life imitation of dime-store novel heroes.

T-Rexly was a liar, a coward, a show-off and a crack shot. Any act of heroism he saw on his adventures by another he would immediately attempt to credit as his own, before they could, so as to gain the praise of the public. His greatest admirer was Ching-Ching, who felt he owed T-Rexly his life as he had been saved by him. The story Ching-Ching has been told was Theodore had come upon Ching-Ching's village being attacked by a pack of Bengal tigers. Sadly he wasn't quick enough to save any adults but he snapped the neck of the last tiger before it attacked Ching-Ching (in all reality the DM made the decision that Theodore bought him as a young slave to be called upon when he was older). Ching-Ching followed Theodore around on his missions for two reasons. The first was his actual expertise, medical/pharmaceutical knowledge, which was used to stop Theodore from dying from Opium over-doses. The second was Theodore teaching him life lessons (awful ones be it). Ching-Ching actually ended up being the most useful member in the party as while he was ten years old he was a genius in technology, science, medicine and much more fields.

Theodore Rexly, when played, was described by the DM & other players as the worst, racist and amoral character they had ever seen. The DM played with a rule called Racism with the Door Open which was supposed to prevent most players from getting too outrageous. Two minutes into my introduction the DM had to stand up and close his door out of fear. And being a method actor and such I only continued this line of thought. With a wisdom of 8, you really have to jump on first impulses (which I did against the angry cries of the other players). Once had another player get up, after a comment from Theodore to his character, to try to fight me from rage. There was another joke from the DM that Theodore Rexly could not die because Africa wouldn't let him. But as opposed to Africa loving him it was simply ancient magic that commanded that Theodore must die on African soil by the inhabitants/animals/vegetation of Africa.

In the end the party who was separated by race, creed, nationality and everything else decided that my character literally was Thomas Hobbes' Leviathan. They bonded together and became trusted friends out of their ruthless hate for my character.

So that is the most interesting character I have ever played. A character who I developed for over period of six to nine months, pouring over his psyche and history. Molding him into a being of pure imagination brought to life in a Nazi-punching d20 Past campaign.

Sir, consider me agog. Have a cookie. A phenomenally racist cookie.

JoshuaZ
2011-08-23, 08:14 PM
Most of mine tend to be fairly tame. There are two I particularly liked, though:

1.) Ludgeblatt Curdlegut

I love this. This is brilliant. This is one of the best character ideas I've ever seen.

Zonugal
2011-08-23, 08:15 PM
Sir, consider me agog. Have a cookie. A phenomenally racist cookie.

Superb! Truly superb!!!

Arbane
2011-08-23, 08:58 PM
Theodore Rexly was of Prussian-decent, 65 years old (born in 1878; the campaign took place in 1943 Germany) and had drifted into insanity (the DM fully believed it to be from Syphilis). He had no father and his mother was extremely distant so he adopted father figures from literature.

From your description, I suspect his actual father may have been Harry Flashman.

:smalleek:

:smallbiggrin:

TheFallenSon
2011-08-23, 09:11 PM
The most interesting character that has erupted from my mind was Torance Slatternsbane, a half-ogre rogue/bard. He thought he was the gods gift to the fairer gender. He was stated out a a social monster and was able to charm the parties way into all kinds of situations. He tried to talk himself into everything, and the DM punished me with giving me amazingly rare diseases. I believe we invented Rakasha Rash, Duegar Dimples, and a never ending list of additional maladies.

The church of Pelor made out good any time our party drug itself into town.

Zonugal
2011-08-23, 09:12 PM
From your description, I suspect his actual father may have been Harry Flashman.

My God, it might just be. I have to alert my DM immediately.

begooler
2011-08-24, 12:07 AM
Well, we've only gotten to play one session in this campaign, but once I stop hogging all our dnd time with the campaign I'm DMing, I'll get to play this character some more.

Panza the Squire is an 11 year old goblin lad with just enough strength to qualify for power attack. He is a knight, trained by a paladin who was part of an army that obliterated Panza's nomadic band, but spared the young boy.

He always volunteers to be the party scout. His hide and move silently are +ridiculous, and his spot and listen are -6.

His flowery speech is littered with malapropisms. The running gag so far is replacing the word 'fell' with 'feel.'

"Why do you where mithril armor Panza?"
"So that my enemies may not feel me!"

"Watch! As I ride my steed into battle and feel our foes with my lance!"

His faithful steed Erroneous is named for the deity of the same moniker.

Panza is now adventuring with a crazed Illumian archivist, named Vrockness who thinks that he (he being Vrockness) is a god. Vrockness calls himself "Vrockness, the Pan-genitor and Pan-phage"
Panza calls him the Dragoness and Pangea, and has accepted an offer to become the dragoness's paladin. Panza can't wait for his steed Erroneous to get special paladin's mount powers.

Quarion Nailo
2011-08-24, 12:49 AM
A paladin who snapped fighting demons and went beserk, killing innocent townspeople, etc. etc. (became CE).

His fellow paladins captured him and, unwilling to kill him, put a Helm of Opposite Alignment on him. He's now a normal paladin...but every time he gets wounded, he has to make a will save or lash out as his nature asserts itself.

Jayh
2011-08-24, 01:41 AM
Dourgrim - A Midgard Dwarven wizard, he was inspired by the trollslayer cults from Warhammer and the dwarves from dwarf fortress. As such, it was his overriding goal to die in battle, and he would do things like notify the dragon he was on his way. He also never bathed, wore the skin of a dead horse, drank whiskey exclusively, spoke only dwarvish, and rarely actually ever cast spells. Instead, he used shocking grasp gloves and his stupendous strength to beat enemies into submission.

(name) - a grizzled werewolf type from a world of furries. He was eccentric, named his weapons, and routinely snuck into enemy camps for elaborate deceptions. His weapons were Ragnarok, a great axe, and Mikey, a crowbar. His catch phrases were "Awaken Ragnarok!!" and "Hey Mikey, I think he likes it!", both emphasized by repeated blows to the target.

GWAR and Danzig - A father son combination. They were both gnoll/flinds, and both with a ranger/barbarian class progression. Beyond that, GWAR took levels in druid, and Danzig took levels in half vampire. They were both heavily involved in the book of vile darkness, slavery, drug addiction, soul stealing and selling, plagues, and pretty much anything else I could come up with. GWAR ended up being the head of the bodyguard of a princess he saved (kidnapped, stockholm syndrome, drug addiction), and when that empire fell, Danzig was born of a vampire and fled across the sea.

The Goddamn Cook! - I didnt have a name for this guy, he was a greater doppleganger playing all sides. He probably doubled the death toll of the war he was in, stealing faces and memories, giving bad orders, leading into ambushes, leaking information, etc. He eventually ate the wrong brain, a lich, who took over his body for the final showdown with the party.

Oregano - a serious face half orc barbarian. He was really intense on honor, glory, the old greek model, and had almost no sense of humor. Unfortunately, he only knew a couple words of common, and he took his name to be Oregano. If you laughed when he serious face told you his name, he would attack.

(name) - a specops guy in a Wolverines game. He was dropped into Colorado, convinced the rebels he was specops, convinced the KGB he was a higher ranking guy, and ran around stealing tanks and blister agents, tricking the Soviets into leading purges on their NCO corps, and generally just mucking about.

Bronn - a neutral human warmage, he was really into dark humor and was a pure mercenary. His funniest moment was capturing two locals, brothers, because he needed guides through the area. Unfortunately, he was running low on food, and I spent ten-fifteen minutes interrogating the GM about who was the better guide (leading them to believe Id kill the worse one) Eventually they both broke down and revealed who it was, and I told him to get in front while the other brother followed.

Lucid
2011-08-24, 09:25 AM
Grag, a big, dumb and childlike feral half-ogre, who had been cast out of ogre society for being too soft. He was surprisingly stealthy for his size, had no concept of morality whatsoever, but was really a nice and fun loving guy, being too stupid to be mean.

He met the rest of the party(a gnome rogue and a human paladin) when they were travelling through the forest he made his home, they had been lost, nearly starving, and then the paladin got caught in one of his traps. Cue Grag silently coming out of the foliage, a dead deer slung over his shoulder coming to check what he had caught.

He realized they were no threat and revealed himself to help the paladin out of the trap, laughing loudly at how the big, strong man got caught in a little bunny trap. After the initial confrontation the party gladly accepted to follow him to his cave to join him for dinner, exhausted and hungry as they were.

A pot of stew was cooking over a fire and the three of them sat round the campfire to eat.

Gnome rogue: Thank you for the food. So, you live here alone?
Grag: Yes, Grag live here, people no bother Grag, Grag no bother people. You like Grag' meat stew?
GR: The stew is excellent, tastes great.
Human Paladin: I agree, what did you make it from?
Grag: *Starts counting out ingredients on his fingers* Umm, is boar, is rabbit, is gnome, is taters, is dem long orange thingies from ground, is salt..
HP: *spits out his stew* Gnome!?
Grag: Is food wrong? You no like Grags cooking? Is gnome yes, is small but is good tough meats!
HP: *furious, pointing his sword at Grag, who looks at him not understanding what he'd done wrong* You monster, you cannibal, you were probably planning to eat us next!
Grag: *looking hurt* Grag no eat you! Grag got 'nough meats*points at deer*
GR: *still eating* Cool down a bit, if he were gonna eat us he could have attacked us already, instead of feeding and helping us. By the way, I taste absolutely sublime, who would've thought?

Eventually the situation calmed down, they took Grag along as scout and the paladin tried to teach Grag, without a lot of succes, why eating animals was okay but eating people was wrong. And they learned that a half-ogre who has never had a drink in his live should not be introduced to ale.

Jaklefire
2011-08-24, 02:47 PM
A paladin who snapped fighting demons and went beserk, killing innocent townspeople, etc. etc. (became CE).

His fellow paladins captured him and, unwilling to kill him, put a Helm of Opposite Alignment on him. He's now a normal paladin...but every time he gets wounded, he has to make a will save or lash out as his nature asserts itself.

That sounds awesome, actually i have these players who think its funny to go crazy and kill all the towns people.
Basically if someone disagrees with them they start throwing out sneak attacks against my level 2 commoners. A shame, i don't know if they understand that they wont get any exp...

Master_Rahl22
2011-08-24, 04:24 PM
My current favorite is a Tiefling Paragon/Swordsage. All of his maneuvers have to do with darkness/shadows or fire and are fluffed as just his demonic heritage coming out. I know there are better Swordsage races out there, but I just couldn't resist the idea once I came up with it. He has solid black orbs for eyes, but otherwise looks completely human.

It leads to fun situations when the slightly odd looking guy starts choking people to death with shadows or his weapon is suddenly covered in flames. Just yesterday we had a failed combat where we had to run away, due in large part to my character springing the ambush too soon. When the party asked why he did that, I said something to the effect of, "I just started thinking about what they did to our home town and all of those people they killed. It felt like my brain was on fire, and I just lost control." As he explained this, his skin began to smolder, and even burst into flame in places. When he noticed he put it out and apologized, but the party was all just a bit unnerved. :smallbiggrin:

Bob the DM
2011-08-24, 04:50 PM
The most fun I've had was with a character known as Sean Flanery. Rather than being based off James Bond, he was more of just Sean Connery. It was fun talking with his accent, until he was replace by Ray. He was started out like Jay from Jay and Silent Bob, and we were being followed around by a Zodar, who did nothing but stond quietly behind me. Ray was a doppleganger who "died" every game under odd cercustances
(Ie: Falling off an airship), and came back as someone else every session. No one figured out what was going on and silent zodar always hung out with me.