PDA

View Full Version : Living Paint Pots [3.5, Race]

TheGeckoKing
2011-08-23, 03:25 PM
The Crayolons

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/3568/1283518137062.jpg

Natives of the Demiplane of Colour along with the Blot Oozes, Rainbow Elementals, Prismatic Dragons and the dreaded Scribblelwyrm, the Crayolons are the creations of the ruler of the Demiplane, The Grand Artist. They function as the artists and crafters of the realm, creating grand masterpieces of which the cruder copies are sold in planar markets for a king's ransom.

Personality: The personality of a Crayolon can be best described as "manic". Nearly all Crayolons suffer from hyperactivity, and need an outlet to funnel this energy to or risk driving themselves insane. Nearly all Crayolons avoid the maddening boredom by painting, but Crayolons have also been known to do other crafts like woodcarving, metalworking, and making sandcastles out of iron filings. The other trait all Crayolons share is concentration. Once a Crayolon decides to make or do something, it's associates will find it hard to persuade it to do otherwise.

Physical Description: The standard Crayolon is about the size of a Halfling, with a big bulbous head and stubby arms and legs. They have no facial features other than two black dots for eyes and a deceptively small-looking mouth. Other than this, a Crayolon is very blank looking, and so body painting is popular among the Crayolons.

Relations: Relations between Crayolons and other races are limited at best, but from what encounters they have had with other races, a few things stand out. Crayolons tend to get along well with Halflings and Humans, all three races being generally open to relations. They clash with Dwarfs over how best to craft and create their masterpieces, and also clash with a lot of Orcs, who tend to break things a lot.

Alignment: Crayolons tend to be solidly Chaotic in nature, whimsically creating things from the gaudiest doodle to the most breathtaking masterpiece in one day. How far they vary from the usual Good part of their alignment depends on their upbringing, mostly. The Crayolons created directly by The Grand Artist tend to be Chaotic and Good, the Crayolons enslaved by the Scrawlwyrm and his progeny tend to be Chaotic and Evil, and the Crayolons raised in Crayolon cities tend to be Chaotic and Neutral.

Crayolon Lands: The Crayolons all originate the Demiplane of Colour, but can be found in places like Sigil and Union selling their wares.

Religion: Crayolons do not really worship gods or ideals, but if they do they focus their worship to the creation of religious paintings and icons.

Language: Crayolons have not bothered to create a language of their own, and so just speak Common and Chroman, the language of their native plane.

Names: Craylons do not use surnames or names designated for one sex or the other as unsurprisingly, Crayolons use colours, patterns and shades as their names.

Names: Abstract, Apricot, Blue, Camouflage, Checkers, Green, Grey, Squiggle, Violet

Adventurers: Crayolons adventure for new experiences, new techniques to craft, and new sights to capture with their paint brushes.

---

Crayolon Racial Traits

Outsider type. Crayolons are native to the Demiplane of Colour, and gain the Extraplanar subtype when not in the Demiplane of Colour.
+2 Int, -2 Cha, -2 Wis. Crayolons are intelligent, but their personalities are grating and their minds are inattentive.
Small sized. +1 bonus to Armor Class, +1 bonus on attack rolls, +4 bonus on Hide checks, -4 penalty on grapple checks, lifting and carrying limits ¾ those of Medium characters.
A Crayolon's Base Land Speed is 20ft.
Produce Paint (Ex): A Crayolon can produce usable paint of nearly any colour indefinitely from special glands in its mouth, and can produce enough paint to use in crafting without effort (a free action, if relevant). Also, once every 1d4 rounds a Crayolon may use a paint-based, 30ft cone breath attack that deals 1d2 damage and blinds anyone that fails a Reflex Save until the blinded creature takes a move action to wipe the pain from their eyes. The Save DC is 10 + 1/2 Class level + Con Mod.
A Crayolon has a +2 racial bonus on all Craft (Painting) and Concentration checks.
Automatic Languages: Common and Chroman. Bonus Languages: Aquan, Auran, Celestial, Ignan, Terran.
Favored Class: Artificer. Crayolons are born crafters and painters.
Level Adjustment: +0

---

---

The Demiplane of Colour

http://hackedirl.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/epic-win-photos-colors-win.jpg
http://hackedirl.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/epic-win-photos-hacked-irl-tree-sock.jpg
http://hackedirl.files.wordpress.com/2011/07/epic-win-photos-hyper-reality-win.jpg

Planar Traits and History (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11705435&postcount=8)
Colourful Critters I: Blot Ooze (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=11711950&postcount=10)
Colourful Critters II: Rainbow Elemental
Colourful Critters III: The Scribblewyrm
Magical Masterpieces: Rainbow Domain by unosarta (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10280916&postcount=44)
Vibrant Creations: Armor, Equipment and Weaponry.

flabort
2011-08-23, 06:00 PM
I want to play one. Paint spitting would be pretty fun!
And sand-castles out of Iron filings? High-larry-ous. I enjoyed reading it, looking forward to the other residents of the Plane.

wuwuwu
2011-08-23, 06:40 PM
You give them -2 Con and never mention it, but mention "grating personalities". Did you mean -2 Cha?

They seem sort of weak, but look like they'd be fun to play. Their personality section kinda reminds me of Kender, though, only instead of stealing things they paint (so a lot better than Kender, but a racial hyperactivity still seems like a majority of people who play these would be playing them for the LOLSORANDUMB :smallsigh:)

Owrtho
2011-08-23, 06:47 PM
Entertaining, though I do rather wish Produce Paint was a breath weapon and had a limit in rounds till you could use it again rather than number of times per day, if only so as to combine it with metabreath feats, and cover opponents in paint while producing a paint cloud.

Owrtho

Morph Bark
2011-08-23, 07:02 PM
What, no specific Craft (painting) bonus? I am appalled! :smallamused:

TheGeckoKing
2011-08-23, 07:25 PM
I want to play one. Paint spitting would be pretty fun!
And sand-castles out of Iron filings? High-larry-ous. I enjoyed reading it, looking forward to the other residents of the Plane.

Glad you like it. Blot Oozes are next up, if I can get my head round on making monsters (not too good at that :smallfrown:)

You give them -2 Con and never mention it, but mention "grating personalities". Did you mean -2 Cha?

I did indeed mean -2 Cha. Good catch.

They seem sort of weak, but look like they'd be fun to play. Their personality section kinda reminds me of Kender, though, only instead of stealing things they paint (so a lot better than Kender, but a racial hyperactivity still seems like a majority of people who play these would be playing them for the LOLSORANDUMB :smallsigh:)

That is....true. However, being a manic painter is probably better than a klepto. :smalltongue:

Entertaining, though I do rather wish Produce Paint was a breath weapon and had a limit in rounds till you could use it again rather than number of times per day, if only so as to combine it with metabreath feats, and cover opponents in paint while producing a paint cloud.

Near-Unlimited Colour Spray feels like it would be nasty broken at low levels, so maybe I could upgrade it to a breath attack with a Paragon class. Split Breath Colour Spray is too cool not to do. DOUBLE RAINBOW ALL THE WAY!

What, no specific Craft (painting) bonus? I am appalled! :smallamused:

Huh. Of all the things to forget......

radmelon
2011-08-23, 08:00 PM
If I make a character of this race, I'm naming him
Dr. Smock-togonapus. I went there.

TheGeckoKing
2011-08-23, 08:42 PM
The Demiplane of Colour
http://hackedirl.files.wordpress.com/2011/08/epic-win-photos-fish-eye-lens-win.jpg

The Demiplane of Colour has the following planar traits;

Normal Gravity
Normal Time
Alterable Morphic: The Demiplane itself is quite stable, although it can be morphed to a powerful desire, as with most other planes.
Mildly Chaotic-Aligned
Vibrant Colours: All spells that involve colors, like Colour Spray and the various Prismatic spells, are automatically Extended and Maximised without an increase in spell level or casting time.

The Demiplane of Colour has persisted in the Great Wheel ever since the first creature crawled out of their rock and saw the primordial worlds in a vibrant palette of colour. For a while, it was a chaotic place unlike a paint-filled Limbo with pretty colours, but one fateful day, a newly exalted Quasi-deity of fine arts and brilliant colour travelled to the plane, deciding this would be his domain. From the churning colours he crafted Crayolons and Rainbow Elementals, landmasses, deep blue seas and grand cities for them to live in, and from the remains of their creation he did the best he could and breathed life directly into them, creating Blot Oozes. He grabbed the rainbows from the skies themselves, and with permission from the draconic deity Io, he bent them into the shape of dragons and created Prismatic Dragons, as the Quasi-deity had the idea that no plane is a proper plane of existance until it had a dragon species of its own.
For a while, The Grand Artist (a name coined by an Elder Rainbow Elemental) ruled his land whimsically, but alas, not all his creations were as benign as he is. One Crayolon decided that he would out-do his creator in dragon creating, and for 40 days and 40 nights he locked himself away in his workshop. Sadly, he was not the sharpest knife in the kitchen, and one dab of paint sourced from the Far Realms later the Scribblewyrm was born. He slaughtered his creator, and razed the cities of the Crayolons. The Grand Artist was forced to step in and imprison the drake within a portrait of grandeur, unwilling to destroy a work of art, no matter how horrid. With tears of azure running down his face, he threw the painting to the deepest, darkest parts of the Demiplane.
The Scribblewyrm thrashed and smashed it's prison to no avail, so the Scribblewyrm was forced to create a Cerebrotic Blot around its prison. While it could summon up an avatar within the Blot, it was still limited in its conquest. To this end, it created its own mockeries of The Grand Artist's creations, and now it slowly spreads its armies, pillaging cities and amassing power in an attempt to free itself from its prison, knowing full well The Grand Artist will not simply strike down the Scribblewyrm or its creations.

flabort
2011-08-24, 02:28 PM
Vibrant Colours: All spells that involve colors, like Colour Spray and the various Prismatic spells, are automatically Extended and Maximised without an increase in spell level or casting time.

Whee!
Prismatic Wall, Throo Da Roo'! *raises crossed arms with a goofy look on face, hooked "claw" hands, proceeds to witness the destruction this creates*

Whee!

TheGeckoKing
2011-08-24, 08:02 PM
Blot Ooze

http://i54.tinypic.com/mmrgba.jpg

Size/Type: Large Ooze (Extraplanar)
Hit Dice: 4d10+32 (54 hp)
Initiative: -5
Speed: 15 ft. (3 squares)
Armor Class: 4 (-1 size, -5 Dex), touch 4, flat-footed 4
Base Attack/Grapple: +3/+7
Attack: Slam +2 melee (1d6 plus 1d6 acid)
Full Attack: Slam +2 melee (1d6 plus 1d6 acid)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Rainbow Cannon, Visual Bombardment.
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., immunities, ooze traits, Colour sink.
Saves: Fort +9, Ref -4, Will -4
Abilities: Str 10, Dex 1, Con 26, Int Ø, Wis 1, Cha 1
Skills: —
Feats: —
Environment: Demiplane of Colour
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 5
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 5-12 HD (Large); 13-24 HD (Huge);
Level Adjustment: —

As you explore the wondrous land around you, a puddle of paint rises up with life, and slowly undulates with a shimmer of colour as it senses its surroundings.

The "leftovers" of the Demiplane of Colour, the Blot Oozes are one of the few native fauna, and while benign and docile, they can and will spray any attackers with blinding ooze if they feel threatened enough. Blot Ooze spray is noted as a good paint when vibrant, outlandish colours are needed.
Blot Oozes do not speak.

Combat

Colour Sink (Ex): Blot Oozes simply absorb any offensive use of colour, and so they are immune to any spell that involve colour, like the Prismatic spells. In addition, using this spell on a Blot Ooze heals the ooze for 5hp times the level of the spell.

Rainbow Cannon (Ex): As a standard action, the Blot Ooze can fire a splatter of paint in a 30ft line. All those in range of the line must make a DC20 Fortitude Save or become dazed for 1 round. This ability is Con Based.

Visual Bombardment (Su): When scared or threatened, the Blot Ooze glows with a multitude of colours that inhibit its attackers. Anyone attacking a Blot Ooze treats it as if the Ooze had partial concealment.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-

lothofkalroth
2011-08-24, 09:58 PM
Something you might want to consider - perhaps they can secrete a special pigment once a day that functions as Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments? It would make them a more formidable race.

But yeah, these guys are really cool. I would so play one if my group still used DnD. I even had an entire character once who was basically a magical graffiti artist. : )

TheGeckoKing
2011-08-24, 10:57 PM
Something you might want to consider - perhaps they can secrete a special pigment once a day that functions as Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments? It would make them a more formidable race.

But yeah, these guys are really cool. I would so play one if my group still used DnD. I even had an entire character once who was basically a magical graffiti artist. : )

Glad you like it. Making some Marvellous Pigments sounds like a paragon class feature to me!

radmelon
2011-08-24, 11:36 PM
The blot ooze looks good, but a few things:

Permanent blinding for the breath weapon? Pretty harsh for paint.

Total concealment is pretty much invisibility. Try partial.

TheGeckoKing
2011-08-25, 08:45 AM
The blot ooze looks good, but a few things:

Permanent blinding for the breath weapon? Pretty harsh for paint.

Total concealment is pretty much invisibility. Try partial.

1. I shall try dazing instead.
2. Partial is good too.
3. Any guesses on a CR?

radmelon
2011-08-25, 01:14 PM
CR should be no more than 4-5.

unosarta
2011-08-25, 01:22 PM
Oh my goodness, this reminds me of the Rainbow Domain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10280916&postcount=44), and the extra Prismatic spells I made. Can I make a prestige class or something for this? Like, talk about fantastic wonderful creations, you have a plane of rainbows. It doesn't get better than that!

radmelon
2011-08-25, 01:33 PM
I imagine that parts of the demiplane of colour are a lot like the LOLAR (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003307).

SlashRunner
2011-08-25, 01:52 PM
The Demiplane of Color should have a language, and it shall be named Chroman, and it should be an automatic language for it's inhabitants. That is all...

Seriously though, they look awesome. I would totally play one.

TheGeckoKing
2011-08-25, 05:11 PM
CR should be no more than 4-5.

Gotcha. CR 5 it is.

Oh my goodness, this reminds me of the Rainbow Domain (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10280916&postcount=44), and the extra Prismatic spells I made. Can I make a prestige class or something for this? Like, talk about fantastic wonderful creations, you have a plane of rainbows. It doesn't get better than that!

Feel free to make whatever you like. I'm gonna put that domain somewhere in the 1st post, if that's cool.

I imagine that parts of the demiplane of colour are a lot like the LOLAR (http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=003307).

I imagine it is.

The Demiplane of Color should have a language, and it shall be named Chroman, and it should be an automatic language for it's inhabitants. That is all...

Seriously though, they look awesome. I would totally play one.

Glad you like it. All I got on the Chroman was some weird Star Wars race from Google. :smallconfused:

unosarta
2011-08-25, 09:11 PM
Feel free to make whatever you like. I'm gonna put that domain somewhere in the 1st post, if that's cool.

Go ahead, feel free. Oh man, a Crayolon Cleric with the Rainbow Domain would be like twelve kinds of awesome.

SlashRunner
2011-08-25, 09:47 PM
Gotcha. CR 5 it is.
All I got on the Chroman was some weird Star Wars race from Google.

Just as the language of the Plane of Fire is Ignan, and the Plane of Water is Aquan, and the Planes of Earth and Air are Terran and Auran respectively, so shall the inhabitants of the Plane of Color speak Chroman.
If you didn't get it, chrom is the Latin root for color.

TheGeckoKing
2011-08-26, 10:29 AM
Just as the language of the Plane of Fire is Ignan, and the Plane of Water is Aquan, and the Planes of Earth and Air are Terran and Auran respectively, so shall the inhabitants of the Plane of Color speak Chroman.
If you didn't get it, chrom is the Latin root for color.

Ah. Chroman it is then. :smallcool:

flabort
2011-08-26, 02:48 PM
"Royal Amethystalignisian"

Just saying, you should make a spell requiring some of that as a spell component.
Yes, I made the name up. Yes, it's inspired by the words "Amethyst", "Ignis", and "Royal". It's a vibrant swirl of reds, oranges, and purples. And it's native only to the demiplane of Color.

Zerous
2011-08-31, 08:50 PM
I, for one, like the race, the demiplane and all ideas involved, and would love to see a sort of this-race-only class, paragon or prestige class.

Randomguy
2012-01-05, 04:32 PM
Would anyone mind if I made a racial PrC for this?

Grod_The_Giant
2012-01-05, 04:52 PM
How about for the racial breath weapon, instead of copying the color spray spell, blinded targets for 1d4 rounds, or until they take a move action to wipe the paint off their eyes?

TheGeckoKing
2012-01-05, 05:27 PM
Would anyone mind if I made a racial PrC for this?

*Is surprised*
Sure. What have you got in mind?

How about for the racial breath weapon, instead of copying the color spray spell, blinded targets for 1d4 rounds, or until they take a move action to wipe the paint off their eyes?

Yes. Looking now, this race is downright scary at low levels with Colour Spray being borked and all.

Right, I might as well stat up the Scribblewyrm* while I have been reminded of this project. I also need to revisit the Charcharodons.

*Would anyone prefer I stat up the Scribblewyrm as a singular monster, or an Elder Evil?

Steward
2012-01-05, 05:35 PM
This is so cool. I can't wait to see the Scrawlwyrm/Scribblewyrm.

I kind of like the idea of the Scribblewyrm being like a sort of lawful-evil counterpart to the Artist.

RaggedAngel
2012-01-05, 05:43 PM
The save DC for their breath weapon should be based off of Con, not Cha. It's not a magical attack; they're spraying paint out of their mouths. Physical attacks like that fall under Con. This is especially important with their racial Cha penalty; everyone needs Con, but they either have to focus on Cha or their racial weapon will be useless, leaving this a very underpowered choice of race.

TheGeckoKing
2012-01-05, 05:51 PM
The save DC for their breath weapon should be based off of Con, not Cha. It's not a magical attack; they're spraying paint out of their mouths. Physical attacks like that fall under Con. This is especially important with their racial Cha penalty; everyone needs Con, but they either have to focus on Cha or their racial weapon will be useless, leaving this a very underpowered choice of race.

Gotcha. Also, Rainbow Elemental coming soon!

Tanuki Tales
2012-01-05, 07:25 PM
Shouldn't the Blot Ooze have the Extraplanar subtype?

Randomguy
2012-01-05, 07:47 PM
I'm thinking outsider HD (full BAB, all good saves, d8 HD 8+int skill points per level, have no idea which skills to put) with a few special abilities involving art and paint, and either 1/2 spellcasting or separate spellcasting. Probably half spellcasting. The class would focus on fighting the scribblewyrm and his creations, as well as getting in touch with the plane of colour.

TheGeckoKing
2012-01-05, 07:52 PM
Yes it should. :smallannoyed:

Randomguy
2012-02-18, 07:24 PM
Shouldn't the save DC for the craylon breath weapon be 10 +1/2 character level, rather than 1/2 class level? And wouldn't the demiplane of colour impede shadow magic?

Since most “unique ability” classes tend to suck (stonelord, green star adept, dragon disciple, so on) or not synergise well with class abilities, I decided to err on the side of being too strong rather than being too weak by giving them the full benefits of outsider HD and then some. This way, a fighter, rogue or wizard can all go into the PrC and continue improving their most imporant class features while still gaining new and useful abilities. I'm aiming for a mid-high tier 3. I also added a slightly weaker version of marvelous pigments (the items aren't permananent, so no breaking the economy), and made it so that some of the abilities scaled with level, to not be useless.

Here's the class. Spoilered due to length. What do you think? I'm considering making the entry requirements a bit tougher.

Artistic Apostle

Though the dreaded Scrybblewyrm was locked away long ago, his vile influence still contaminates the elemental demiplane of colour, and his progeny enslave and contaminate other crayolons. But there is hope: Virtuous crayolons all throughout the infinite plains rise up under the sign of the Grand Artist, and fight back against their evil oppressors. Skilled in combat, magic and the art of stealth, Artistic Apostles are formidible opponents, dedicated to wiping out the Scribblewyrm and all that follow him.

Although all Artistic Apostles share a common cause, there is no rigid chain of command or center of opperations, as Crayolons tend not to care for order. Artistic Apostles respect those who have the most victories, those who have served longest for the cause and those who are the most adept at combat or magic. Because the organization has no grand unifying leader, it is impossible to destroy completely, so long as a single apostle remains to spread the teachings to others.

HD:1d8

Prerequisits:
Race: Crayolon
Skills: Craft (painting) 8 ranks.
Deity: Grand Artist
Alignment: Any Nonevil and Nonlawful.

Abilities: Constitution is the most important stat for an artistic apostle, since it governs many of their improved racial powers. Intelligence is also important, since it determines how good the artistic apostle's spellcasting and painting abilities are.

{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special|Spellcasting
1st|+1|+2|+2|+2|Master Artist, Paintbrush casting, Evershifting Paint, Code of Conduct |+ 1 level of existing spellcasting class
2nd|+2|+3|+3|+3|Improved Produce Paint, Indelible paint, Summon Canvas
3rd|+3|+3|+3|+3|Evershifting Paint, Expanded spell list|+ 1 level of existing spellcasting class
4th|+4|+4|+4|+4|Summon painted ally 1/day, Prismatic Resistance, Return home
5th|+5|+4|+4|+4|Art made real 1/day|+ 1 level of existing spellcasting class
6th|+6|+5|+5|+5|Realistic Art
7th|+7|+5|+5|+5|Summon painted ally 2/day, The Grand Artists Blessing|+ 1 level of existing spellcasting class
8th|+8|+6|+6|+6|Superior Produce Paint
9th|+9|+6|+6|+6|Return home, Prismatic Resistance|+ 1 level of existing spellcasting class
10th|+10|+7|+7|+7|Summon painted ally 3/day, Art made real 2/day, Improved Blessing, Dedicated Service
[/table]
Class Skills: The Artistic Apostle’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Disable Device (Dex), Disguise, Diplomacy (Cha), Forgery (Int), Hide (Dex), Knowledge (any) (Int), Move Silently (Dex), Profession (Wis), Search (Int), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Swim (Str), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill points: 8+intelligence modifier per level,

Class Features:
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Artistic Apostle's gain proficiency with light armour.

Spellcasting: At each odd numbered level, you gain new spells per day and an increase in caster level (and spells known, if applicable) as if you had also gained a level in a spellcasting class to which you belonged before adding the prestige class level. You do not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If you had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an artistic apostle, you must decide to which class to add each level for the purpose of determining spells per day, caster level, and spells known.

Code of Conduct: If an Artistic Apostle ever turns Lawful or willingly destroys a work of art (natives of the demiplane of colour don't count as works of art for these purposes), he becomes unable to gain any more levels in this class until he once again becomes nonlawful or Atones for his misdeeds.

If an Artistic Apostle ever becomes Evil, he loses all benefits of this class other than BAB, hit dice, saving throws and spellcasting. If an Ex-Artistic Apostle becomes a Servant of the Scribblewyrm (see Adaptation, bellow), he can convert his Artistic Apostle levels into Servant of the Scribblewyrm levels. If a servant of the Scribblwyrm becomes good, he must atone for his deeds before changing his levels, and even then he cannot gain any more levels in the Artistic Apostle class.

Master Artist: Artistic Apostles gain a bonus to Craft (painting) checks equal to their class level. They also permanently get Craft (painting) as a class skill for all classes.

Paintbrush casting:With the right tools, Artistic Apostles can paint their magic into existence, instead of calling it with words of power. Artistic Apostles can use a masterwork paintbrush (a masterwork tool for the craft (painting) skill) as a focus for any spell they cast from the evocation, conjuration, abjuration and illusion schools as a substitute for any verbal components and inexpensive material components the spell has. Since they need to paint with their brush, not just hold it, the spells they cast this way gain a somatic component, if they don't have one already.

Summon Canvas (Su): Although many Artistic Apostles prefer painting on walls, sometimes they are inspired to paint something that they wish to carry with them. In these cases, they may summon a canvas to paint on. Summoning a canvas can be done at will, as a full round action. The Canvas appears with an easel (which disappears when the painting is finished) and a paintbrush, if the Artistic Apostle doesn't have one already. An Artistic Apostle cannot summon a canvas for any reason other than to paint on it.

Evershifting Paint (Su): An Artistic Apostle's body paint constantly moves, swirls and changes, depending on their mood and physical state. (A cold Artistic Apostle might have all his body paint tinge blue, for example.) This has no in-game benefits at level one. At level 3, the Apostle learns to control this to some degree, and can change the shade of the colours to blend into his surroundings better, granting him a +2 bonus to hide checks.

Realistic Art (Su): Paintings and drawings created by an artistic apostle tend to look very realistic. In 10 minutes, an Artistic Apostle can make a painting that looks surprisingly life like. This effect is similar to a two dimensional silent image, but it can be programmed like programmed image can. For example, you can draw a landscape on a wall with an orc archer in the distance, who fires arrows to just fall short of anyone that comes near. To distinguish a realistic painting from reality, an observer must make a spot check, opposed by the craft (painting) check that the artistic apostle made when creating the painting. If the observer interacts with the painting, he gets a Will save (DC = 10+ 1/2 the Artistic Apostle's HD) to disbelieve the illusion. If a painting is of empty space, such as the aforementioned orc on a landscape, an observer disbelieves automatically after interacting with the illusion or observing it with nonvisual senses. Nonvisual senses can't reveal all illusions: for example, blindsight or tremorsense won't help you if a secret door is painted over to look like a wall.

Indelible Paint: At level two, Artistic Apostles can choose to make the paint they produce indelible, allowing them to paint underwater or even in acid (If they can somehow survive long enough while immersed in acid to paint). It also means their paint will not erode until the substance it's painted on does, and that they can go underwater without ruining their body paint.

Improved Produce Paint (Su): Several times per day an Artistic Apostle can make his inner paint much more damaging then normal. Instead of the normal effect, his breath weapon mimics the spell rainbow blast and takes the form of a 120 ft line, dealing 5d8 damage, one from each of the five energy types (acid, cold, electricity, fire, and sonic) . This ability improves as his character level increases. At level 9 it deals 5d10 damage and at level 11 it deals 5d12 damage. You can use this ability a number of times per day equal to one half of your artistic apostle level, rounded down. The save DC is equal to your 13+ Con mod.

Expanded Spell List At third level, An Artistic Apostle adds the following spells to the spell list of existing casting class: Rainbow Beam (SpC), Rainbow Blast (SpC), Rainbow Pattern, Prismatic Mist (SpC), Prismatic Ray (SpC), Prismatic Aura (CM), Prismatic Spray, Prismatic Eye (SpC), Prismatic Wall, Prismatic Bow (CM), Prismatic Sphere, Prismatic Deluge (CM), Binding colour surge (PHB2) and Scintillating pattern. If you belong to a spontaneous casting class, you gain the spells as spells known when you become a high enough level to cast them. If you belong to a class that uses a spellbook or prayerbook, the spells are added to your spellbook/prayerbook when you become a high enough level to learn spells of that spell level. This class feature grants no benefit to Artistic Apostle's that don't belong to a casting class.

Summon Painted Ally: (Sp) At fourth level, Artistic Apostles gain the ability to summon Rainbow elementals. They can use this ability once per day, and an extra time per day every 3 class levels. This is equivalent to a summon monster spell with a level of 1/2 of the Artistic Apostle's character level rounded down, but it can only be used to summon Rainbow elementals. For example, if Magenta is a crayolon with 5 levels of fighter and 4 levels of artistic apostle, he is a 9th level character. 9/2 rounded down is 4, so he can summon rainbow elementals as if casting summon monster 4. Summon monster 4 doesn't have an elemental on it's list, but it can be used to summon 1d3 creatures from the summon monster 3 list, which includes the small elemental. This means he can summon 1d3 small rainbow elementals once per day. The caster level for this ability is equal to your character level.

Return Home: (Sp) At fourth level, Artistic Apostles can use plane shift once per day to travel to the demiplane of colour. They can't use this ability to return. At ninth level, they can use greater plane shift (Spell Compedium) instead of plane shift.

Prismatic Resistance (Su) Artistic Apostles gain their intelligence modifier as a bonus to saving throws against all prismatic spells and all spells directly involving colour or paint(including, but not limited to, the spells they learn from their expanded spell list ability). This bonus also applies against spell like, supernatural and extraordinary abilities so it would apply against the breath weapon of another Crayolon or against the breath weapon of a prismatic dragon. At ninth level, this bonus applies to all saving throws.

Art Made Real (Su): Artistic Apostles can paint mundane objects into existence, almost as if they were using Nolzur's Marvelous Pigments. Using this ability takes 10 minutes and a DC: 15 Craft painting check. Only normal, inanimate objects can be created—doors, pits, flowers, trees, cells, and so on. Creatures can’t be created. Objects of value depicted by this ability—precious metals, gems, jewelry, ivory, and so on— appear to be valuable but are really made of tin, lead, paste, brass,
bone, and other such inexpensive materials. To make any item you must succeed on a Craft (painting) check with a DC equal to the DC it would normally take to make that item. Creating terrain, like a pit, needs no check. You can also use this ability to modify an existing item, by painting cracks onto a wall, for example. You can only modify a maximum of 100 feet square of material per day. You can use this ability once per day, or twice at 10th level. Anything you create fades away in 24 hours.

Superior Produce Paint (Su): Once per day, an Artistic Apostle can modify his breath weapon to mimic the effects of prismatic spray. Caster level is equal to your character level, DC= 17 + Con mod.

The Grand Artists's Blessing (Su): At seventh level you can call upon the powers of the Grand Artist as a standard action that doesn't provoke an attack of opportunity once per day. This has several effects. You gain the benefit of the Divine Power, Entropic Shield, Freedom of movement, heroics(spell compedium) and heroism spells, with a caster level equal to your character level. The duration of the effects lasts only one round per class level.

Improved Blessing (Su): At 10th level, The Grand Artist gives you more benefits when you call upon his powers. You now gain the effects of Righteous Might and Holy aura for the duration of this ability in addition to the other abilities. Also, when you activate this ability you gain the benefit of a Heal spell, with a caster level equal to your character level. Lastly, any weapon you wield gains the Prismatic Burst special ability (Magic Item Compedium page 40) for the duration of the effect.

Dedicated Service: At 10th level, the Grand Artist grants Artistic Apostles the boon of agelessness. So long as the Artistic Apostle stays true to the cause of the Grand Artist, he will never die of old age.

Adaptation: An adaptation can easily be made for this class that focuses on serving the Scribblewyrm. The alignment requirements would change to “Chaotic Evil, Neutral Evil.” Any “Good” spells that the class grants, such as holy aura during the Grand Artists Blessing, would change to their Evil versions (unholy aura in this case). The names for the abilities would change accordingly, so “Grand Artist's Blessing” would become “Bolstered by the Scribblewyrm”.

Tulya
2012-02-18, 10:08 PM
Crayolans should have something like the following, which might also be taken as a feat. Replace colors and effects as desired. Might also have it be an optional replacement effect instead.

Heightened Color Sense (Ex): Your attunement to color grants you a sense of colors imagined by few mortals. Whenever you produce the effects of a Prismatic spell with variable effects through a spell or ability, you can roll an additional effect from the following table with a 1d8.

1d8|
Color of Beam|
Effect

1|Top|Immediately fall upwards up to 100 feet, taking falling damage on impact with a ceiling, and oscillating at the edge of the effect for 1 round. (Reflex negates if the target has something nearby to grab hold of)
2|Bottom|Immediately fall downwards up to 100 feet. Lose the ability to fly and move at half speed for 1 round. (No save).
3|Strange|Roll d% on the Rod of Wonders chart. (No save to be subjected to Rod of Wonders, save normally for Rod of Wonders effects.)
4|Charm|All other creatures within 100' become permanently charmed by target, as Charm Monster spell. Target becomes intensely enamored with itself, and is unable to take any actions other than moving or meeting basic necessities. Both effects are mind-affecting and negated by a successful Will save. The effect on other creatures can be dispelled normally. The effect on the target can only be removed by Heal, Greater Restoration, Limited Wish, Wish, Miracle, and similar spells.
5|Phon|30 points of sonic damage and target is permanently deafened. A successful fortitude save halves the damage, but does not negate the deafness.
6|Fortissimo|60 points of non-lethal damage, target is unable to take any actions at all for 1 round. (No save)
7|Torque|The target immediately swings up to 180 degrees around you in an arc, taking falling damage and stopping on impact with any solid surface or sufficiently large and anchored creature or object. Unanchored creatures and objects the same size category or smaller than the target and in the targets path are knocked down on a failed reflex save. If any object was impacted at all, the target falls prone at its final destination. (Reflex negates if the target has something nearby to grab hold of)
8|Tesser| The target teleports to a visually or thematically similar location to its current location and on the same plane. Reroll on this table instead if Violet was also rolled. (Will negates)

Similarly, the Demiplane of Color could produce that effect for Prismatic Spells as well.

---
The first 4 'colors' are Quarks, the next 3 'colors' are mentioned in Pier's Anthony's Centaur Aisle, and the last 'color' is just what came to mind for me.

===
Heightened Color Sense (Epic Feat)
Prerequisites: Character level 21st
Effect: See Heightened Color Sense racial ability.

Prismatic Expert (Epic Feat)
Prerequisites: Heightened Color Sense feat or racial ability, character level 24th
Effect: Whenever you produce the effects of a Prismatic spell with variable effects through a spell or ability, your target is automatically subjected to all 7 basic effects instead. Each effect occurs sequentially, beginning with 1 and ending with 7.

Prismatic Master (Epic Feat)
Prerequisites: Prismatic Expert, character level 27th
Effect: Whenever you produce the effects of a Prismatic spell with variable effects through a spell or ability, your target is automatically subjected to all 7 basic effects and all 8 additional Heightened Color Sense effects instead. Each effect occurs sequentially, beginning with 1 and ending on 7 on the normal table, and then beginning with 1 and ending on 8 on the Heightened Color Sense table. This effect does not stack with Prismatic Expert.