PDA

View Full Version : Rules/Mechanics for Politics?

TheRinni
2011-08-23, 04:20 PM
So, in my next campaign, I'm planning something with a lot of political intrigue. I have no experience with running this kind of game, and can only assume it'll be heavily roleplay based. However, I was wondering if there were any set mechanics for this sort of thing.

Also, because there are giong to be very few dungeon crawls in this type of campaign, I want to be careful to ensure I have some combat in this game, as I'm sure my players are going to want it. For combat encounters, I intend to have: open warfare, battles, and assassination attempts. I want to toss some more ideas in, and was hoping the playground could help me brainstorm a few.

Thank you for the help.

Zenith Knight
2011-08-23, 09:02 PM
I wow, I was just thinking about this exact thing today! I hope we can bounce some good ideas around.

I haven't been DMing for a while, so I can't help much with a set mechanic that might exist, but I can toss some ideas concerning encounters:

I was thinking about having one of the nobility frame the PCs for assassination, and having them fight their way out of a city.

I don't know if a siege encounter would make sense in your story, but it's an idea, whether they're assailing a castle/city or defending the walls for some number of rounds.

You could try having a chase scene encounter, where they run across building tops or try to kite the victim and catch up when he/she starts bleeding out.

Also, you could actually have a LITERAL dungeon: perhaps where political prisoners are kept, and they have to break someone out. All the encounters would probably be humanoid guards though, or at best some sort of dog.

Psyren
2011-08-23, 09:09 PM
DMG2 and Cityscape have lots of advice for a political campaign. Eberron is also a highly metropolitan setting and so has plenty of that sort of thing to check out. (e.g. ECS, 5 Nations, Secrets of Sarlona etc.)