PDA

View Full Version : Core only ways to increase DC (Beguiler)

LaughingRogue
2011-08-23, 06:33 PM
Disclaimer (The DM will let classes slide that are not core (beguiler), and Prestige classes... but as for Items they are strictly restricted to core).

Besides Stat Bump Items, Core only ways to maximize Spell DCs, are there any good ways?

Bloodymango
2011-08-23, 06:34 PM
find a blackguard make him stand next to the opponent

ericgrau
2011-08-23, 06:45 PM
spell focus
race: gnome for illusion, others that have stat bumps higher than their LA like nixie. 8 cha, 3 LA => effectively 5 levels higher for DCs, basically a +2 to +3, but spells are 1-2 levels lower. Still your charm/hold persons will harder to save against than other caster's higher level spells. The only option I found with lower LA is the aasimar for +2 cha, 1 LA.
old age

Psyren
2011-08-23, 08:51 PM
Also Heighten Spell

dextercorvia
2011-08-23, 09:18 PM
Tainted Scholar+Spell Focus Evil+Gr. Spell Focus Evil.

Randomguy
2011-08-23, 09:18 PM
If you're aloud non core feats, then sacred vow followed by vow of nonviolence is decent: almost all beguiler spells deal nonlethal damage or no damage. Your allies suffer penalties if they kill helpless or defenceless foes though, and you can't do lethal damage.

Gnomes do get a +1 to illusions, but humans get a bonus feat which can be used for spell focus, but that's short term only. Grey elves and Fire elves both get +2 int, which adds 1 to the DC of every Beguiler spell.

gorfnab
2011-08-23, 11:17 PM
Non-core: Shadow Weave Magic (PGtF)

GoatBoy
2011-08-23, 11:51 PM
Intimidate, sickened, negative levels. If you can't inflict them yourself, get a teammate/cohort/summoned monster to do it for you. Make friends with a Hexblade!

deuxhero
2011-08-24, 12:19 AM
Hexblade isn't core.

If you can get the DM to allow even the most basic fixes to the class (ranks in hide and heavy armor? What's this? Horrible scaling of features.), try getting another PC to play the class for the aura and intimidate. If the DM will allow it, Paladin of Tyranny works well too.

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-24, 01:44 AM
I second Intimidate. It's a pretty low-investment (one skill, dependent on your primary casting stat) way of reducing opponents saves.

LaughingRogue
2011-08-24, 01:49 AM
I second Intimidate. It's a pretty low-investment (one skill, dependent on your primary casting stat) way of reducing opponents saves.

I love the intimidate suggestion but unfortunately I'm already small :( and taking a -4 because of it in most cases.--- is it still worth the investment?

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-24, 02:01 AM
Well, if you've got 5 ranks in bluff, that's a +2 modifier, which mitigates that somewhat. You're only netting a -2, which is negligible.

EDIT: That "old age" suggestion was pretty good, too.

LaughingRogue
2011-08-24, 02:04 AM
Well, if you've got 5 ranks in bluff, that's a +2 modifier, which mitigates that somewhat. You're only netting a -2, which is negligible.

I can agree with that --- Maybe it's a good idea to take Improved Feint and get Feint as a swift action so that I can

Intimidate and then bluff?

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-24, 02:05 AM
I can agree with that --- Maybe it's a good idea to take Improved Feint and get Feint as a swift action so that I can

Intimidate and then bluff?

Imp. Feint is pretty sub-optimal in this case. Why stab a guy when you could be casting spells instead?

LaughingRogue
2011-08-24, 02:17 AM
Beguiler Surprise Casting?

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-24, 02:19 AM
Denying them their Dex bonus to AC is great and all, but do you really have that many spells that target AC? :smallconfused:

LaughingRogue
2011-08-24, 02:19 AM
Denying them their Dex bonus to AC is great and all, but do you really have that many spells that target AC? :smallconfused:

Cloaked Casting (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, a beguiler’s
spells become more effective when cast against an unwary
foe. You gain a +1 bonus to the spell’s save DC when you cast
a spell that targets any foe who would be denied a Dexterity
bonus to AC (whether the target actually has a Dexterity
bonus or not).
At 8th level, you gain a +2 bonus on rolls made to overcome
the spell resistance of any affected target.
At 14th level, the bonus to your spell’s save DC increases
to +2.
At 20th level, you become able to automatically overcome
the spell resistance of any affected target
___

Surprise Casting (Ex): Starting at 2nd level, when you
successfully use the Bluff skill to feint in combat, your
target is denied its Dexterity bonus (if it has one) to AC for
the next melee attack you make against it or the next spell
you cast. You must remain in melee with the target, and the
attack must be made or the spell cast on or before your next
turn. The target is not considered fl at-footed and therefore
can make attacks of opportunity against you if you do not
cast defensively.
At 6th level, you gain the ability to feint in combat as a move
action instead of a standard action. If you have the Improved
Feint feat, you can now feint in combat as a swift action.

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-24, 02:27 AM
Wow, it's been too long since I looked at the class. Now I just feel dumb. :smallannoyed:

If you've got the feat slot, pick up Imp. Feint, I guess. Seems good for you, now that I've read the class features in question. :smalltongue:

LaughingRogue
2011-08-24, 02:29 AM
Wow, it's been too long since I looked at the class. Now I just feel dumb. :smallannoyed:

If you've got the feat slot, pick up Imp. Feint, I guess. Seems good for you, now that I've read the class features in question. :smalltongue:

haha , no problem --- we all get that way from time to time ---just look at my bad factotum build on my other post :smallbiggrin:

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-24, 02:31 AM
It's not terrible, it's just a bit redundant. I'll post a couple of other options in that thread for you.