PDA

View Full Version : Creating large amount of Raw Materials in D&D?? How to do it?? Unlimited Crafting???

Gavinfoxx
2011-08-23, 06:46 PM
Hi there all, I am trying to figure out, in general, what RAW MATERIALS (as in material science or building things or armor or weapons or engineering things or whatever) can be created or conjured in D&D without using True Creation or Wish. I have a few things figured out already: Wall of Salt, Wall of Stone, Stone Metamorphosis, Wall of Iron, Djinn-powered Major Creation for plant based items including the weird plant based materials (Bronzewood, Duskwood, Darkwood, etc.), poisons, and some alchemy stuff, Polymorph Any Object for changing the Wall of Iron into some other 'non valuable' metal (What metals would qualify??), Stone to Sand, Sand to Glass, using Metal Melt to make alloys without advanced furnaces. The idea here is that I already have 'infinite amount of work/crafting/power' figured out (that's EASY! I have unlimited work with various perpetual motion machines powering advanced machine shops with different power sources, Mount spells, Unseen Crafter, Fabricate, Shape Metal, Shape Wood, Stone Shape, etc. etc.) I just need ways to get different useful raw materials to work with. Do note that I want to figure out what can be made with only INITIAL investment (in repeating magical traps, wondrous items that cast spells, and stuff like that) without a per-casting cost, either in GP, weird items, or XP, of any sort.

I'm also trying to figure out --especially with the exotic materials in D&D world, spread out over all the books-- what I could PLAUSIBLY bring to my DM as 'not scarce or rare at all', for purposes of a.) Polymorph Any Object, b.) A Custom version of Wall of Iron, or c.) Alloying into iron from a wall of iron to make one of the 'better than iron' metals in the books. A way to make large amounts of, sayyy, Greensteel --Pre Wish Economy-- would be nice! I was thinking of maybe wall of other metals? Tin, Lead, Bismuth, Nickel, Zinc? I would presume that I can't make Wall of Copper, due to the clause in Polymorph Any Object not letting valuable stuff be made (though we DO know Wall of Salt breaks that... and by weight and cost of raw iron, Wall of Iron IS pretty valuable...)

Another person said that back in the day, Basic D&D had rules for making Cloth at spell level 4, Wood at Spell Level 5, Stone at Spell Level 6, Iron at Spell Level 7, and Steel at Spell Level 8. Could those be used for any sort of basis? My character will be able to do, of the EXISTING 3.Xe spells, Wall of Salt at Spell Level 4, Wall of Stone is Spell Level 5 or SOMETIMES Level 3 (from Trapsmith), and Wall of Iron is Spell Level 5. Where would other spells plausibly fit??

Gavinfoxx
2011-08-24, 05:30 PM
Did I make my paragraphs too large? Was I rambling too much?

Tvtyrant
2011-08-24, 05:37 PM
In real life owning gold was a good way to make money, as the value of gold appreciated relative to copper pretty much constantly. Attempts at setting up a fixed metal value to deal with different coin denominations injured a number of economies.

Gavinfoxx
2011-08-24, 05:43 PM
Hmmm, I am presuming that the location will be using various different systems of barter and different competing currencies as different things become valuable or not valuable as new things are introduced and made common, and we will presumably be using gp equivalent for things...

Any ideas for more ways to get more basic stuff?

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-24, 05:45 PM
Polymorph shenanigans, if not already mentioned.

EDIT: Yup, you've got it already.