PDA

View Full Version : Making a Whip do piercing damage

Matamane
2011-08-23, 10:13 PM
Is there any whip or whip variant, or way via feats or magic to make a whip deal piercing damage.

I know viper works, anything else?

gorfnab
2011-08-23, 11:10 PM
Whip Dagger from Sword and Fist does Slashing.

Fitz10019
2011-08-24, 12:54 AM
The scorpion-tail whip from Sandstorm lists "slashing or piercing" in the weapons table, but the item description does not fully clarify how it works. Because it injects poison on a crit, it implies that crits may be piercing. (but, again, not fully clarified)

BillyBobJoe
2011-08-24, 01:02 AM
The scorpion-tail whip from Sandstorm lists "slashing or piercing" in the weapons table, but the item description does not fully clarify how it works. Because it injects poison on a crit, it implies that crits may be piercing. (but, again, not fully clarified)

:smallmad: I'm still looking for a d43 for that thing.

Thurbane
2011-08-24, 02:35 AM

In other cases, a weapon can deal either of two types of damage. In a situation when the damage type is significant, the wielder can choose which type of damage to deal with such a weapon.
Weapons that do slashing or piercing damage (such as the dagger, halberd or scythe) can inflict either, as per the wielders desire. The scorpion whip would inject poison on a crit regardless of which damage type it was currently inflicting.

Anarchy_Kanya
2011-08-24, 04:12 AM
:smallmad: I'm still looking for a d43 for that thing.
There's always online dice.

Matamane
2011-08-24, 04:42 AM
Scorpion Tail Whip isn't treated as a whip though, so does it actually being a whip count?

Yuki Akuma
2011-08-24, 04:49 AM
Why do you want to deal piercing damage? Slashing is the better damage type, less things resist it.

The only thing I can think of is that you want to use a whip underwater, in which case piercing would help...

Matamane
2011-08-24, 04:59 AM
There's a class we're using that I need piercing for.

goose1009
2011-08-24, 11:44 AM
Why not just design one yourself to fit your needs? Just keep it simliary to the others but change its flavor text. Maybe it has a head with like 20 needlelike barbs in it. Im sure you could think of something.

Darrin
2011-08-24, 11:56 AM
Aptitude weapon (ToB) and Versatile Unarmed Strike (PHBII) might work.

Fitz10019
2011-08-24, 12:03 PM
Weapons that do slashing or piercing damage (such as the dagger, halberd or scythe) can inflict either, as per the wielders desire. The scorpion whip would inject poison on a crit regardless of which damage type it was currently inflicting.

I hear you. I personally think the two things are related for this weapon, but I realize that's not RAW.