PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Overflow Healing

Thurbane
2011-08-24, 02:31 AM
This question was asked in the current Q&A thread:

Q275
Is there a feat that turns Cleric overflow healing into temporary hit points, so you don't waste healing?
There have been no replies, and I personally don't know of any way to do this. Any op gurus out there that can think of any?

Personally, I think it's a great concept, and would make healing a bit more durable and versatile. - maybe a homebrew feat, or item?

Cheers - T

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-24, 02:37 AM
That seems kind of crazy-dangerous in a funny way, though, given the whole "dying from excess temp HP" thing presented in the Positive Energy Plane.

This would seem like an easy way to accidentally cause a party member to explode like a rainbow out of a Unicorn's posterior after a meal at McCarebeardonalds.

Or is that only a Planar effect?

Thurbane
2011-08-24, 02:39 AM
That seems kind of crazy-dangerous in a funny way, though, given the whole "dying from excess temp HP" thing presented in the Positive Energy Plane.

This would seem like an easy way to accidentally cause a party member to explode like a rainbow out of a Unicorn's posterior after a meal at McCarebeardonalds.

I'm fairly certain that is purely a Planar effect - it is not a general rule that applies to temp hit points.

TroubleBrewing
2011-08-24, 02:39 AM
Drat. Well, I've got nothing.

tyckspoon
2011-08-24, 02:43 AM

As mentioned, this is (as far as I know) specific to the Positive Energy Plane, and it only happens when you've managed to accrue temp HP from it equal to your normal total (so, double HP and then you blow up.) You are unlikely to over-heal somebody for that much outside of maybe 1st level unless you are deliberately trying to do so.

Dumbledore lives
2011-08-24, 02:44 AM
I don't think there is an official rule anywhere, but I actually powered up my healer last year with this. Basically he could overheal people, but only up to 50% more than there normal health, which dealt with the exploding problem, while still significantly increasing his healing output.

Alefiend
2011-08-24, 04:15 AM
Not sure if it's too tangential to your question, but how about the Reserve Points alternate rule from Unearthed Arcana?

Summary: characters have a pool of "reserve" HP equal to their regular, fully healed HP. Post-combat, these reserve points replenish the damage taken. Healing spells in excess of what's needed go to refill the reserve.

Psyren
2011-08-24, 06:35 AM
The Vitalist (Psionics Expanded) can do this, even when a character overheals from a potion, or two characters heal each other without the Vitalist's help (so long as they are part of her network.)

CockroachTeaParty
2011-08-24, 09:33 AM
A Society Mind from Untapped Potential can also make use of overflow healing, distributing it to the rest of his party.

It seems there's been some third-party coverage along this line of thought.

Psyren
2011-08-24, 12:00 PM
A Society Mind from Untapped Potential can also make use of overflow healing, distributing it to the rest of his party.

It seems there's been some third-party coverage along this line of thought.

They are similar for a reason - the Vitalist is basically the Pathfinder update to the Society Mind :smallsmile: DSP made them both.

BlueInc
2011-08-24, 12:06 PM
If it doesn't have to be Cleric, for Pathfinder, there's the Life Mystery Oracle revelation "Spirit Boost (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/oracle/mysteries/paizo---oracle-mysteries/life)"

"Spirit Boost (Su): Whenever your healing spells heal a target up to its maximum hit points, any excess points persist for 1 round per level as temporary hit points (up to a maximum number of temporary hit points equal to your oracle level)."

Chilingsworth
2011-08-24, 06:11 PM
There is a feat that does this, OP: It's called Initiate of Ilmater and is found in the Forgotten Realms Player's guide (if memory serves me correctly.) It gives excess healing as temporary hp (up to 3x your caster level.) The temp hp last up to 1hr/caster level. As a bonus, anyone with even one temp hp from this gets some nice bonuses, and the feat gives you access to a few spells.

Cieyrin
2011-08-24, 06:41 PM
There is a feat that does this, OP: It's called Initiate of Ilmater and is found in the Forgotten Realms Player's guide (if memory serves me correctly.) It gives excess healing as temporary hp (up to 3x your caster level.) The temp hp last up to 1hr/caster level. As a bonus, anyone with even one temp hp from this gets some nice bonuses, and the feat gives you access to a few spells.

Player's Guide to Faerun, yes. Neat find, would play very nicely with the Combat Medic PrC from Heroes of Battle, the Healing Kicker and whatnot.

Person_Man
2011-08-24, 07:04 PM
I'm not familiar with anything that does this, but it does sound like part of a great idea for a homebrew Healer fix.

Overflow Healing (Ex): The Healer's connection to the Positive Energy Plane are so strong that it can be channeled directly into her spells. If the Healer casts a spell which heals the target past their maximum total hit points, they gain the excess as temporary hit points. Temporary hit points do not stack. However, if the target gains temporary hit points equal to their total hit base points, they must make a Fortitude Save or explode, dying instantly.

Starsinger
2011-08-24, 07:23 PM
I'm not familiar with anything that does this, but it does sound like part of a great idea for a homebrew Healer fix.

Overflow Healing (Ex): The Healer's connection to the Positive Energy Plane are so strong that it can be channeled directly into her spells. If the Healer casts a spell which heals the target past their maximum total hit points, they gain the excess as temporary hit points. Temporary hit points do not stack. However, if the target gains temporary hit points equal to their total hit base points, they must make a Fortitude Save or explode, dying instantly.

Which gives Healer some offense. "I cast Heal on the full life creature, overhealing it by 20/Level... Fort save or die please." And at lower levels, a well placed CLW might blow up a goblin.

Cieyrin
2011-08-24, 07:39 PM
Eh, I think the positive energy explosion should be left for the Positive Energy Plane. Too much potential for friendly fire by overhealing too much. Nobody wants to make their friends into motes of floating happiness accidentally (On purpose, though...).