PDA

View Full Version : Liber Mortis variant undeads

lord_khaine
2011-08-24, 01:10 PM
Hello Playgrounders.

Im running a evil campaign, where i thought it would be funny to let the groups Dread necromancer be able to create some of the variant skeletons and zombies found in Liber Mortis.

The problem is though, that there isnt any rules for doing that, so i would ask you, if anyone had some suggestions for balancing the price of them, with the increased abilities they gain?

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-24, 04:29 PM
I would suggest either making each one a feat or making the Dread Necromancer able to create undead with them at a higher HD. For example a fiery human skeleton would take up 2HD of the Dread Necromancer's control cap. A vicious human skeleton would take up 3 etc. Balance the numbers a bit and it should work, I didn't put much thought into the numbers.

lord_khaine
2011-08-25, 09:27 AM
Hmm yeah, making the CR adjustment count as HD for the control cap might work, though there are then a chance he would just make few big undeads instead.

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-25, 09:36 AM
Yes, but if he wanted to powergame he would stick to zombie dragons anyway.

Claudius Maximus
2011-08-25, 10:19 AM
Liber Mortis? You give them too much credit.

lord_khaine
2011-08-26, 09:27 AM
Yes, but if he wanted to powergame he would stick to zombie dragons anyway.

To start with, that would require dragon corpses, something that are generaly not availeble.
And its not even like normal dragon zombies are that dangerous again.

Liber Mortis? You give them too much credit.

Hmm?

Fouredged Sword
2011-08-26, 09:34 AM
You start small with wyrmlings and work your way up. There is a spell that calls a dragon to your service. Normaly you have to pay the dragon, but you just kill it and raise the body.

You can do this several ways, but my favoret is to dex damage the dragon until it can't move and then fell animate it as a "zombie dragon" as the particular template, not just a normal zombie. Fewer HD and they keep thier breathe weapon.

This is a no cost way of working your way up the chain of HD to a dragon army.

Silva Stormrage
2011-08-26, 10:03 AM
To start with, that would require dragon corpses, something that are generaly not availeble.
And its not even like normal dragon zombies are that dangerous again.

Zombie dragons have their own template in draconomion. They are ALOT more powerful than regular zombies. They keep their breath weapon and a lot of other abilities and don't have a HD cap on what you could raise.

hamishspence
2011-08-26, 10:07 AM
Hmm?

The name of the WoTC book is Libris Mortis.

Which I'm told translates loosely as "From the Dead Book"

As opposed to Liber Mortis, which may be closer to "The Book of the Dead".

sreservoir
2011-08-26, 10:16 AM
and if you'd actually read the book, the sidebar on page 4 says right out that it's supposed to translate to “From the Books of Dead.” which it actually isn't so preposterously far from.

it's less the Book of Bad Latin than the Book of Nonsensical Latin.

hamishspence
2011-08-26, 10:21 AM
True.

"From the Dead Book" sounds very Planescape-ish.

flare'90
2011-08-26, 11:08 AM
Well, the Italian edition of Libris mortis is indeed titled Liber Mortis.

I support the use of Cr adjustments on effective HD.

Leon
2011-08-26, 11:16 AM
The Necrotelicomnicon.

lord_khaine
2011-08-27, 03:30 AM
You start small with wyrmlings and work your way up. There is a spell that calls a dragon to your service. Normaly you have to pay the dragon, but you just kill it and raise the body.

You can do this several ways, but my favoret is to dex damage the dragon until it can't move and then fell animate it as a "zombie dragon" as the particular template, not just a normal zombie. Fewer HD and they keep thier breathe weapon.

This is a no cost way of working your way up the chain of HD to a dragon army.

Ahh, this does sound nicely abusive, but from what i can see, you dont have any control over what sort of dragon you summons with the spell, meaning you risk either getting stuck with white wyrmlings, or else getting 15 HD of annoyed dragon.

Also, the spell does have a xp cost.

Zombie dragons have their own template in draconomion. They are ALOT more powerful than regular zombies. They keep their breath weapon and a lot of other abilities and don't have a HD cap on what you could raise.

Yeah, but i dont recall them being something you can create with a simple animate dead?

The Necrotelicomnicon.

As i remember, this is less about creating undeads, and more about managing their bank accounts.

Malimar
2011-08-27, 04:22 AM
and if you'd actually read the book, the sidebar on page 4 says right out that it's supposed to translate to “From the Books of Dead.” which it actually isn't so preposterously far from.

it's less the Book of Bad Latin than the Book of Nonsensical Latin.

It's not even nonsensical. It is, at worst, very slightly irregular (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204299), and that only because it's not entirely clear whether they're trying to use a form of the ablative that ever calls for a preposition.

Leon
2011-08-27, 06:03 AM
As i remember, this is less about creating undeads, and more about managing their bank accounts.

the Necrotelicomnicon is not only a book about communicating with the dead, but also their telephone directory.

White Text is White

sreservoir
2011-08-27, 01:09 PM
It's not even nonsensical. It is, at worst, very slightly irregular (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=204299), and that only because it's not entirely clear whether they're trying to use a form of the ablative that ever calls for a preposition.

that's nonsensical enough for me :smallyuk: