PDA

View Full Version : [PF] need Palladin optimization help

Fruchtkracher
2011-08-24, 01:46 PM
I wish you a jolly good evening, dear playgrounders.

I have come to you with a probably quite easy task - yet I am wondering what advice you might have for me.

I wish to create a palladin for an upcoming game - 25 point buy, 3000 starting gold pieces on 4th level.
The most interesting path seems to be the archer path, mainly because it is not that obvious a palladin-choice.

So far I have decided to play a human for +2 on dex, in addition to the other obvious benefits. My stats so far are
14 STR
20 DEX (base 17, +2 human, with +1 for level 4)
12 CON
8 INT
7 WIS
16 CHA
which leaves me with 1 point left, which as far as I can see I can only put on Int. Suggestions for improvement are welcome.

As feats I chose Point-blank shot and rapid shot, in addition to Deadly Aim for 3rd level, all in order to maximise smite damage.

The little money I had I spent on a +1 composite longbow (+2 STR) and a cloak of resistance +1, hoping my AC will suffice at this rather low level, with the ability to change to non-magical shield + longsword.

As stated earlier, any advice is welcome, though I am restricted to the Core rulebook.

Fenryr
2011-08-24, 03:40 PM
Precise Shot feat?

I would invest the point in Wisdom, so Will doesn't suffer that much.

It is possible for you to buy Ultimate Combat? It has two Archetypes for Paladin, one for ranged attacks (bow, crossbow and similar) and one for firearms.

Fruchtkracher
2011-08-25, 10:44 AM
Precise Shot seems useful - should I wait for it till level 5 or replace Deadly Aim with it and take that at 5th level?

Sadly to upgrade WIS I'd need another point, so that won't work - my will is high enough with CHA to all saves and a good will-save progression.

I'm afraid my DM won't let us use aditional books beyond core and a few regional/campaign-specific books, so that won't work.

Gnaeus
2011-08-25, 11:04 AM
Consider taking one level in sorcerer, then PRCing into either Dragon Disciple (awesome) or Arcane Archer (less awesome, but still good).

Fenryr
2011-08-25, 12:32 PM
I think Precise shot should be of the first feats. What's the party composition? If there is a party member who's melee you should think of getting the feat soon.

I don't know if you can push your DM or not, but Ultimate Combat is really worth it. Then no 3.5 material either?

Alefiend
2011-08-25, 01:06 PM
I'd think an archer paladin would want to be an elf of some sort, taking elf paladin substitution levels—see if your GM will allow them, since they're 3.5 and not PF.

Arutema
2011-08-25, 01:18 PM
I'd think an archer paladin would want to be an elf of some sort, taking elf paladin substitution levels—see if your GM will allow them, since they're 3.5 and not PF.

Double-checking RotW, there's not much point. PF paladins get ranged smite for free anyway, and the other class features mostly aren't worth swapping for.

I'd take Precise Shot before Deadly Aim, firing into melee is nigh-inevitable and you don't need to be taking even bigger penalties to hit.

Fruchtkracher
2011-08-25, 01:27 PM
Sadly no 3.5 material as well - bugging me since I have most 3.5 books here, but, well I can't help it...

As such though elf is a choice I considered I'm not sure if a few skill points and immunity to sleep effects - especially considering my not too low saves - are a fair trade for a feat and in effect +2 CON... so I am biased to human.

Considering how my party consists of a barbarian, a ranger(archery style), a melee-rouge and a druid I think I'll stick to Deadly Aim, seeing as anything any of our melee-characters comes close to is pretty much dead as soon as that happens.

And last while Dragon Disciple is pretty neat indeed I fail to see how it benefits an archer, besides a few buff spells and minor boosts...
am I missing something here?

Double-checking RotW, there's not much point. PF paladins get ranged smite for free anyway, and the other class features mostly aren't worth swapping for.

I'd take Precise Shot before Deadly Aim, firing into melee is nigh-inevitable and you don't need to be taking even bigger penalties to hit.

That is just why I want to try a ranged paladin, in light armor no less, simply because it IS different that before - and because I like the changes they made for the pala =D

Krazzman
2011-08-25, 01:40 PM
Ok, your Stat array might be against my flavour but, as an Human Paladin you should have 3 Feats.

Precise Shot, Deadly Aim and Point Blank Shot (prereq for other range feats) would be my decision to take.

Another fact I would consider: take that shield of yours and use it as a friggin discus. Now take your Longsword at hand and add more Steel to it until it is an GreatSword or an Falchion. The Point in having only a mere +2 AC in Melee won't serve as much as friggin slay that fiend in seconds.

Additionally I would prefer an Halfling (+2 Dex, +2 Cha, -2 Str[dumpstat])

I think Thalin made a good job in making this guide here: Thalins Guide (http://paizo.com/paizo/messageboards/paizoPublishing/pathfinder/pathfinderRPG/advice/thallinsGuideToPaladinsOptimization)

Hope that helps.

Have a nice Day

mint
2011-08-25, 02:10 PM
If there is any swing room at all with your DM this is where I would swing:

Charming the Arrow [General]

You have a gift with ranged weapons. The force of your personality enables you to "convince" them to fly straight and true.

Prerequisite: Fey

Benefit: With a bow or crossbow made for a creature of your size category, you may use your Charisma modifier instead of your Dexterity modifier on attack rolls.

from: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030815a