PDA

View Full Version : PF feat for lvl 1 bear companion

stack
2011-08-24, 08:07 PM
DUe to DM largess, my beastrider cavalier has a bear mount at level 1 (using the small bear stats and attributes, just scaled up to be ride-able. He's big for his age.)

For a place-holder I have medium armor proficiency, but I think I can do better.

Note: I traded the human bonus feat using the eye for talent alternate racial to add 2 to the bear's INT, making it 4, so he can take any feat he can use.

Animal companions can't take any feat requiring bab 1 at first level.

Paul H
2011-08-24, 08:56 PM
Hi

First, you need Light Armour prof as prereq for Medium Armour. (Unless the Cavalier class already grants Lt Armour prof to their mounts).

I suggest Toughness, since Animal Companions only receive half HP/Hit Dice (round down) in PF. Ie 4.5 HP/lvl. Then Pwr Attack when they can.

(You can always get armour that has an armour check penalty of 0, since the penalty for using it is 0. Don't forget to triple base armour cost because it's large & not 'humanoid' shape.

Thanks
Paul H

Bhaakon
2011-08-24, 09:01 PM
First, you need Light Armour prof as prereq for Medium Armour. (Unless the Cavalier class already grants Lt Armour prof to their mounts).

They do indeed give light armor proficiency to their mounts.

Frosty
2011-08-24, 09:55 PM
Depending on the Bear's Dex score, I'd have it take Combat Reflexes and then take the "Bodyguard" feat (from APG) when it reaches 3 HD. That way, as long as you ride it (or are adjacent to it), it can, as an AoO, grant you a +2 AC vs one attack. It's very nifty.