PDA

View Full Version : Tomb of Horrors: SPOILER ALERT! IF YOU HAVEN'T PLAYED, DON'T ENTER!

Rossebay
2011-08-24, 09:24 PM
So, ToH. Wow.

I'll start with the party.
Lesser Aasimar Cloistered Cleric 6/Radiant Servant of Pelor 3. DMM: Persist with all sorts of buffs to my healing. I persist Divine Power, Mass Lesser Vigor, Death Ward, and Revanance (or whatever) daily. The last one is for if anyone in the party dies, so it's a free resurrect. And boy, did they. Domains are Healing, Sun, and Knowledge.

Minotaur Barbarian 1. I tried to get him to optimize, and he has the build of an ubercharger, but it's not complete and that's about that. He pounces, gets PA and Leap Attack, and his gore attack, and lays down some nice damage. After the gargoyle, I had to persist Revanace or whatever to keep him alive.

Barbarian 1/Factotum 8. Pounce, and a nice amount of hit points, along with the ability to sense traps that he passes automatically and has a VERY easy time disabling them. He's our rogue, only better. He's been our (godlike) trapmonkey so far.

Wizard 9. He hasn't been doing too much so far. His spells are mostly trap-killing utility, so he's useful in that respect. He was also able to lay down some nice damage on the gargoyle.

We've gotten through the gargoyle room, been through BOTH dead end passages there, opened up like 5 pitfalls in the main hall, accurately identified the Sphere in the demon's mouth, and we just entered the mists. Of course, we apparently had the wrong combination and all come into an elevator area. The minotaur pulled all the levers down (int 4), so that was fun. Only, the Factotum (skill tricks saved the day) and the Minotaur were the only ones in there. The factotum Corner-Perched and avoided falling, and the minotaur took the fall like a boss.

Now he's surrounded by many somethings, and that's where we left off.

Something I'm proud of: Due to my tactics and healing prowess (lol) the gargoyle only killed one of us! I feel pretty cool about that, since the minotaur got face-raped and the rest of us came out without a scratch. I'm feeling pretty confident about the tomb so far. Most enjoyable D&D session ever.

Discuss if you like, but remember: Don't spoil anything past the gargoyle room or the hallway.

So, now, I'm wondering: Are there any other modules that are nearly as cool? If so, what are they?

Flickerdart
2011-08-24, 09:36 PM
Does the Wizard have the Summon Elemental reserve feat? That one seems useful when clearing out traps.

Rossebay
2011-08-24, 09:42 PM
Does the Wizard have the Summon Elemental reserve feat? That one seems useful when clearing out traps.

No, because we wanted to make sure we didn't over-cheese the dungeon.

Hiro Protagonest
2011-08-24, 09:56 PM
accurately identified the Sphere in the demon's mouth,

*starts digging through the archives*

Come on, come on...

8th panel! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html)

Rossebay
2011-08-24, 10:09 PM
*starts digging through the archives*

Come on, come on...

8th panel! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0536.html)

Hahaha. I didn't even think of that.

But, man, that was scary. I almost walked in to get a better look. D:

Crasical
2011-08-24, 11:12 PM
*spews cola* You can persist the vigor line of spells?!:smalleek:

Gavinfoxx
2011-08-24, 11:13 PM
*spews cola* You can persist the vigor line of spells?!:smalleek:

Just the Mass versions.

Rossebay
2011-08-25, 12:14 PM
Just the Mass versions.

Really, only the mass versions? Oh. Well, good thing I didn't persist anything else, haha.

Andorax
2011-08-25, 01:08 PM
Tomb of Horrors is just plain classic. It's hard to find another module that's like it.

However, if you're willing, and your DM is interested, here's a few to consider.

White Plume Mountain is another one of those "classic" modules, which would take some work to bring up to 3.5 standards but certainly has a similar feel to it.

Both WPM AND ToH have a "return to" adventure associated with them. Seriously, if you enjoyed Tomb of Horrors, encourage your DM to find the Return to the Tomb of Horrors box set, retire your current party, and bring their descendants (armed with daddy's journal) on an even more epic adventure than the first.

I've heard that the Mud Sorceror's Tomb is also considered a classic in similar style. It's been 3.5ed in Dungeon 138.

However, probably your best bet (and one which your current party might well be suited) would be to delve into the depths of Maure Castle. I've run it, and enjoyment was had by all (even by my ToH-shy players). Maure Castle 3.5 appears in Dungeon #112 (the main part, took up the entire issue), along with additional levels in Dungeons #124 and #139.

Rossebay
2011-08-25, 01:23 PM
Tomb of Horrors is just plain classic. It's hard to find another module that's like it.

However, if you're willing, and your DM is interested, here's a few to consider.

White Plume Mountain is another one of those "classic" modules, which would take some work to bring up to 3.5 standards but certainly has a similar feel to it.

Both WPM AND ToH have a "return to" adventure associated with them. Seriously, if you enjoyed Tomb of Horrors, encourage your DM to find the Return to the Tomb of Horrors box set, retire your current party, and bring their descendants (armed with daddy's journal) on an even more epic adventure than the first.

I've heard that the Mud Sorceror's Tomb is also considered a classic in similar style. It's been 3.5ed in Dungeon 138.

However, probably your best bet (and one which your current party might well be suited) would be to delve into the depths of Maure Castle. I've run it, and enjoyment was had by all (even by my ToH-shy players). Maure Castle 3.5 appears in Dungeon #112 (the main part, took up the entire issue), along with additional levels in Dungeons #124 and #139.

Ah, thank you. This is what I was looking for.

I'll suggest these to my DM.

Togath
2011-08-25, 01:28 PM
WotC also published a 3.5 online version of WPM here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/oa/20051207a), Though I haven't tried running it yet.

mootoall
2011-08-25, 02:28 PM
I'm playing in a reworked White Plume Mountain right now, with the crappy Weapons of Legacy replaced with three (hinted at four!) of the Nine Swords, and it's working out great. No spoilers though!