PDA

View Full Version : Crafting an Infernal Army

Drakevarg
2011-08-24, 10:25 PM
I've done this before with mortals, but right now I'm working on setting up an army of Devils. Mostly to kill time, but partially because I'm gonna need it eventually.

Anyway, I have a definite preference for advancement by class level rather than just increasing the HD of a creature. And so I've been working on exactly that. The obvious rank-and-file of an infernal army is the Barbazu. Originally, I was going to just go the obvious route and make them Fighters, until I realized that Barbazu can easily qualify for Blackguard right out the gate. Now, normally I have little but contempt for the Blackguard, but I figured it was a step up from Fighter.

To create each unit in the army, I start with the base devil I want, then I give him a class level of 1, 3, 5, or 7. (No higher because I reserve levels above that for special cases. In my setting, having more training than that is extremely rare, reserved for elite forces or named characters.) Then I give them gear using the NPC WBL equal to their CR + their class levels.

That said I've only statted up 2 units out of the 16 I have in mind. I figured I'd list my to-do list out here so people could suggest superior alternatives. I'd also like to point out that I've given only token consideration to anything besides the Barbazu and Gelugon. Please don't suggest anything not from the books listed in my signature.

Infernal Infantry
{table=head]Rank|Name|Class Level
I|Lemure|--
II|--|--
III|Barbazu Soldier|Blackguard 1
IV|Barbazu Sergeant|Blackguard 3
V|Barbazu Lieutenant|Blackguard 5
VI|Barbazu Captain|Blackguard 7
VII|Gelugon Major|Blackguard 1
VIII|Gelugon Colonel|Blackguard 3
IX|Gelugon General|Blackguard 5
X|--|--[/table]

Infernal Artillery
I|--|--
II|--|--
III|--|--
IV|--|--
V|Erinyes Bowman|Rogue 1
VI|Erinyes Archer|Rogue 3
VII|Erinyes Marksman|Rogue 5
VIII|Erinyes Sharpshooter|Rogue 7
IX|--|--
X|--|--[/table]

Infernal Guards
I|--|--
II|--|--
III|--|--
IV|--|--
V|--|--
VI|Hamatula Guard|Fighter 1
VII|Hamatula Elite Guard|Fighter 3
VIII|Hamatula Warden|Fighter 5
IX|Cornugon Guardian|Fighter 1
X|Cornugon Sentinel|Fighter 3[/table]

As for the ones I've statted up:

Barbazu Soldier
Blackguard 1

STR 18
DEX 15
CON 18
INT 6
WIS 9
CHA 14

Feats
Power Attack
Cleave
Improved Sunder

Equipment
+1 Glaive
+1 Breastplate
Wand of Cure Light Wounds
Potion of Protection from Arrows (2)
270gp
Barbazu Sergeant
Blackguard 3

STR 18
DEX 15
CON 18
INT 6
WIS 10
CHA 14

Feats
Power Attack
Cleave
Improved Sunder
Weapon Focus (Glaive)

Equipment
+1 Glaive
+2 Breastplate
Ring of Protection +1
Potion of Protection from Arrows (2)
142gp
Barbazu Lieutenant
Blackguard 5

STR 18
DEX 15
CON 18
INT 6
WIS 10
CHA 14

Feats
Power Attack
Cleave
Improved Sunder
Weapon Focus (Glaive)

Equipment
+1 Flaming Glaive
+2 Breastplate
Ring of Protection +1
Wand of Cure Light Wounds
Potion of Protection from Arrows
292gp

-----

The ability scores use a set of 14, 13, 12, 11, 10, 9 prior to racial modifiers and advancement by level.

Flickerdart
2011-08-24, 10:31 PM
Rangers do not an artilleryman make. You want some enlarged orb of force action - or at least Clerics or Archivist archers, if you insist on archery.

Tvtyrant
2011-08-24, 10:33 PM
I think Erineyes are more like snipers, and should really be taking Rogue levels so they can hide and SA with their arrows. For artillery I suggest Warmage levels on Imps for the small size and at-will invisibility.

Drakevarg
2011-08-24, 10:34 PM
Rangers do not an artilleryman make. You want some enlarged orb of force action - or at least Clerics or Archivist archers, if you insist on archery.

"Artillery" I just meant the ranged division. I can't think of a term to describe a group of archers.

I think Erineyes are more like snipers, and should really be taking Rogue levels so they can hide and SA with their arrows.

I agree, though I'll also look into prestige classes.

Flying, stealth'd snipers... sounds fun. :smallamused:

Acanous
2011-08-24, 10:38 PM
Erineyes could also make decent standard-bearers or drummers, statted up as Marshals or Bards.

Coidzor
2011-08-24, 10:50 PM
IIRC, imps would make an adjutant's corps. Possibly also logistics, such as they exist. Maybe also serve as lemure wranglers.

mabriss lethe
2011-08-24, 11:05 PM
Legion Devils (merregon) would be fantastic for this, right out of the box.

Drakevarg
2011-08-24, 11:12 PM
Legion Devils (merregon) would be fantastic for this, right out of the box.

Maybe so, but they're not in my books, unless they're in the Manual of the Planes which I almost never look at.

mabriss lethe
2011-08-24, 11:21 PM
They're in Fiendish Codex 2. 3 HD devils that pool their abilities when in close proximity to other Legion Devils, all drawing from a common pool of hit points, getting combat bonuses, etc.

Coidzor
2011-08-24, 11:42 PM
hmm... Maybe Kytons(That is the name of chain devils, right?) and their chain golems as heavy infantry/anti-fortifications?

Alternatively, I believe Maug are sometimes hired as groups of heavy infantry for periods of time by devils in the blood war. I think they're general fiend folio.

So if you wanted some merc auxiliaries, I believe Maugs and the NE fiends find themselves in that capacity from time to time.

Hmm...

Is flight relevant enough that we'd want air cavalry? :smallconfused:

Is there any way of satisfying that thematically?

Drakevarg
2011-08-24, 11:47 PM
hmm... Maybe Kytons(That is the name of chain devils, right?) and their chain golems as heavy infantry/anti-fortifications?

Never heard of chain golems, but my party has a pathological fear of Kytons, which I don't want to ruin by using them as general military.

Alternatively, I believe Maug are sometimes hired as groups of heavy infantry for periods of time by devils in the blood war. I think they're general fiend folio.

Not in my books.

So if you wanted some merc auxiliaries, I believe Maugs and the NE fiends find themselves in that capacity from time to time.

I do use Yuggoloths occasionally, but they're not my main concern right now.

Hmm...

Is flight relevant enough that we'd want air cavalry? :smallconfused:

Is there any way of satisfying that thematically?

That depends on the behavior of my players. Hasn't come up yet.

If it did, mercenary Nycaloths could work.

[Edit]: Added the Barbazu Lieutenant.

Runestar
2011-08-25, 06:36 AM
I like the idea of bearded devils auto-qualifying for blackguard, but odd lvs seem quite wasted. Blackguard1 doesn't grant anything useful, turn undead is nigh useless for bg3 while bg5 is useful only for the 3rd attack from bab+11. It seems that either bg2 (cha mod to saves) or bg4 (+1d6 SA) offer more value for the lvs.

For the higher lv erinyes version, consider a mix of rogue and ranger lvs with swift hunter, or rogue+scout+swift ambusher feat.

Sneak attack applies to only 30ft, so I doubt rogues make good snipers. Why are we even considering any other option than arrow demons? There is no excuse that you don't have the books, as they are available as a free preview here.:smallamused:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040815b&page=4

Boci
2011-08-25, 07:30 AM
Sneak attack applies to only 30ft, so I doubt rogues make good snipers. Why are we even considering any other option than arrow demons?

Because they are demons, not devils?

Runestar
2011-08-25, 07:39 AM
Because they are demons, not devils?

Good point. :smalltongue::smallredface:

Greymane
2011-08-25, 08:34 AM
The artillery section is in dire need of Hellfire Engines from Fiendish Codex II.

Otherwise the Imp Warmages make me giggle.

Andorax
2011-08-25, 01:07 PM
For filling out the lower levels of all your charts, given the resources you have available (I'd really recommend Fiendish Codex II if you can get your hands on it), I would suggest not neglecting Tieflings. LE Tieflings are infinately adaptable to whatever role you need them to fill.

Your thread has really caught my interest, since I'm also a longstanding proponent of advancing/uniqueifying outsiders through character levels and intelligent equipment and companion choices.

Marilith Warblade 1 in the Blood in the Water stance, anyone?