PDA

View Full Version : So my players got captured...

Keithicus
2011-08-25, 02:27 AM
Here is one you all probably see often enough to think to yourself "here we go again"...

My first session DMing the new campaign I have going and (through my own poor judgement) my players got captured.

Instead of being killed or simply taken prisoner, they were taken back to a city and are now fighting as gladiators for the amusement of the public.

Where I would like the playground's help is in giving them a believable escape method. Up to this point their captors appear to have the method of containing the prisoners down very well, and the areas they go to are specifically designed to make escape difficult (in fact they are blindfolded before being removed from their cell so they can't get a good feel as to where they travel).

I have another friendly character that is working to get them free and it seems logical that they wouldn't have the people fighting every day. In my head I see 'non-fighting' days as ones where they take the majority of prisoners and have them perform manual labor. In addition there are less guards and more prisoners than normal due to prolonged warfare in the nation they are being held.

The main way I see them escaping is that during a non-fighting day they would be left behind in their cells, then their friend manages to sneak in and break them out along with whatever other prisoners are nearby and convenient. They then (hopefully) manage to escape the building without the guards that are around catching on until they are gone.

Another method I potentially see being used is a riot, their friend simply starts breaking people out cell by cell and the PCs have a chance at escaping that way. A potentially negative side affect of that is that they might lockdown the city so that the prisoners can be gathered up again and/or killed as needed.

Lastly, the PCs could be taken out as workers (most likely building something, manual labor sort of deal) and either of the above scenarios happening where they aren't as confined.

I understand that the above wall of text is probably not detailed enough to help much, so I also am willing to take suggestions and answer questions as needed. So, how would you all go about getting the PCs free from what is normally a fairly high security area like this?

Knaight
2011-08-25, 02:31 AM
The empire is acting as a gladiator, and this is viewed as disgraceful. Some senators stir up the commons to attack him, and a skirmish breaks out between the empire's personal guard and the general mob, with the gladiators suddenly losing all importance in the eyes of everyone there.

Keithicus
2011-08-25, 02:38 AM
The empire is acting as a gladiator, and this is viewed as disgraceful. Some senators stir up the commons to attack him, and a skirmish breaks out between the empire's personal guard and the general mob, with the gladiators suddenly losing all importance in the eyes of everyone there.

Sorry if I'm reading it wrong, but I basically interpret it as "Leader of the nation goes to watch (or take part? Sounds more like what you mean)) in the games and a large scale attack on him effectively removes the guards from the escape equation".

I could see that working, the leader has been making more and more enemies and it's just a matter of time until someone strong enough tries something. It also helps make the world not feel like it revolves around the PCs as the conditions for their escape were not set up because of them.

Knaight
2011-08-25, 02:53 AM
Sorry if I'm reading it wrong, but I basically interpret it as "Leader of the nation goes to watch (or take part? Sounds more like what you mean)) in the games and a large scale attack on him effectively removes the guards from the escape equation".

I mean takes part in. This is rather shamefully lifted from Roman history, which handles the plausibility part.

Chilingsworth
2011-08-25, 03:42 AM
The above idea sounds good to me, too.

I'm curious, though: what level/class are your characters?

Keithicus
2011-08-25, 04:13 AM
I'm curious, though: what level/class are your characters?

We're only a few sessions in atm, we have a Dragon Shaman 2, Duskblade 2, and Bard 1.

So far the Dragon Shaman is the only one that is contributing much. He's getting decent rolls and is making good use of his auras (especially vigor). The Duskblade has only gotten one attack roll higher than 5 (before modifiers) and the bard is focusing on his buffs but for some reason is being overcautious about actually singing and providing buffs.

I'm glad someone suggested something that I can use to make the world not revolve around them as the attack on the king would have nothing to do with them. My only concern is that they'll manage to get the king killed as he's my current main antagonist (even though they haven't met him yet...). The game is being played with E6 rules because my players don't want to get too far into high-level stuff and like being at the more typical fantasy power level. However, if the king does get killed off I think I know where I can take it as he does not have an heir at the moment, causing a great fun civil war on top of the fact that they are at war with multiple neighboring nations.

I think I'll combine some of this though, have the person that was going to rescue them take advantage of the ensuing chaos and free more slaves, possibly causing more chaos.

Killer Angel
2011-08-25, 04:19 AM
I think I'll combine some of this though, have the person that was going to rescue them take advantage of the ensuing chaos and free more slaves, possibly causing more chaos.

Imho, a T-Rex should be involved... :smallcool:

B!shop
2011-08-25, 05:04 AM
During the gladiatorial games, when you characters are fighting, a part of the stadium collapses, bringing chaos in the audience, running away from the now almost ruined building.
Your characters can hide in the crowd and escape from the prison. Another challenge could be leave the city.

BobVosh
2011-08-25, 05:15 AM
Spartacus? Mass revolt of gladiators?
Friend slips them some drugs/poisons and they poison the key bearing guard.

molten_dragon
2011-08-25, 05:29 AM
You mentioned that the kingdom they are being held in is at war. Maybe a group of commandos from the enemy nation could slip into the city with the express purpose of freeing prisoners as a way to foment rebellion in the city and tie up their city guard with trying to recapture the prisoners.

Or you could have it be a group of sympathizers within the city who then want the party to help their cause (giving you delicious plot-hooks for later).

Karoht
2011-08-25, 11:15 AM
A wizard did it?
Okay, serious idea...

One or several or all of them get seriously injured. They are taken away for medical treatment. While being treated, security is a bit more lax, the person/s make off with some supplies critical to an escape plan. Some surgical tools (makeshift lockpicking or other uses), some herbs/salves/chemicals for some kind of advantage, maybe something incendiary/smoke forming for a distraction.

So person X, Y, and Z get very nearly dead. Person X swipes a few surgical tools, maybe the odd sharp impliment as well. Person Y swipes a few salves/chemicals and uses them to throw into the face of a jailer, blinding/stunning/unconscious-a-fying them, maybe coats a weapon with it as well. Person Z swipes some kind of incendiary, sets a fire with some rags and maybe a few herbs. Smoke everywhere in the close confines of the dungeon areas, making it easier to move without being seen, and the guards are distracted towards trying to stop the fire from burning the whole place to the ground rather than trying to stop the prisoners.

If they can't escape in those conditions, they deserve to be gladiators for the rest of their days.

As for after the escape, I highly recommend a good chase through town until they escape. With Chariots. Through the town/city. You need a good fight at the exit, or just outside of town. Boss level encounter.

Enjoy.

Don't underestimate the value of a good grappling hook and rope for taking out a moving Chariot. Just a tip.
Tie off rope to column. Throw hook into wheels. Move away from rope. Watch carnage with smug grin. This could also work as your primary distraction.

Keld Denar
2011-08-25, 11:31 AM
If your players got captured...you might want to call the police, or like, the FBI or someone. Thats serious! I hope they are still alright.

SowZ
2011-08-25, 11:37 AM
You don't need to break them out. That takes most the fun out of an escape sequence. Right now you feel like you got them into it so you should get them out. But having some NPC do all the work is no different then throwing a dragon at the party, realize they are losing, so some NPC-ex-machina comes in and kills it while the rest watch. I am not insulting your DMing ability and I can totally see where you are coming from. But an escape sequence can be a lot of fun!

Let them figure something out. Encourage creativity. They are bound to come up with something more zany then what you have listed.

Keithicus
2011-08-25, 01:35 PM
Imho, a T-Rex should be involved... :smallcool:

Nah not ready to throw dinosaurs at them QUITE yet hehe

You mentioned that the kingdom they are being held in is at war. Maybe a group of commandos from the enemy nation could slip into the city with the express purpose of freeing prisoners as a way to foment rebellion in the city and tie up their city guard with trying to recapture the prisoners.

Or you could have it be a group of sympathizers within the city who then want the party to help their cause (giving you delicious plot-hooks for later).

That could work. Maybe include "incite rebellion" in with "kill the king" or have it completely separate. Either way you guys are giving me some good ideas.

A wizard did it?
Okay, serious idea...

-Stuff about obtaining materials while they are being medically treated-

I could include some of that in this, but I've already established that they simply have healers get everybody healed up instead of actual medical treatment.

In addition, despite having gladiator fights I'm still using the general "generic fantasy hodge-podge" level of technology. Having things be too Roman will have my players expecting something different that I wouldn't be giving them. (Though a Roman-level technology game might be fun) I do like the ideas though.

If your players got captured...you might want to call the police, or like, the FBI or someone. Thats serious! I hope they are still alright.

It was crazy! Some ninjas just busted into the house and took all my players, told them they were going to find them a real DM haha. :smalltongue:

Don't worry about them though, they got better.

You don't need to break them out. That takes most the fun out of an escape sequence. Right now you feel like you got them into it so you should get them out. But having some NPC do all the work is no different then throwing a dragon at the party, realize they are losing, so some NPC-ex-machina comes in and kills it while the rest watch. I am not insulting your DMing ability and I can totally see where you are coming from. But an escape sequence can be a lot of fun!

Let them figure something out. Encourage creativity. They are bound to come up with something more zany then what you have listed.

I would normally agree with this, but over the last 2 sessions of having them fight as gladiators they've already been told by their friend to just wait, and they've already "settled in" to an extent.

I'm not going to give them a complete free ticket to freedom, but I can set up the circumstances where they see an opening and go for it.

Karoht
2011-08-25, 02:08 PM
I could include some of that in this, but I've already established that they simply have healers get everybody healed up instead of actual medical treatment.Thats nice. Not everyone gets the good doctors. It can be the 'motivation' not to lose or get too hurt. You get mangled pretty bad? Negative hit points bad? You get the bad doctors, not the good ones. You get the ones that leave you strapped to an unclean table for a few days, and set your bones without giving you painkillers first. Has the added bonus of making the regime seem worse. And you can even give the players some cool scars.

In addition, despite having gladiator fights I'm still using the general "generic fantasy hodge-podge" level of technology. Having things be too Roman will have my players expecting something different that I wouldn't be giving them. (Though a Roman-level technology game might be fun) I do like the ideas though.You aren't making roman so much as you are making it tough and gritty. The gladiator is heavily romanticized, all you need is a dose of realism, which you are sort of already doing.

I would normally agree with this, but over the last 2 sessions of having them fight as gladiators they've already been told by their friend to just wait, and they've already "settled in" to an extent.Their friend can join them on the jailbreak once it happens. He doesn't have to open the door, but he can show up with a getaway vehicle. Or some horses. Or a chariot, or whatever.

Chilingsworth
2011-08-25, 02:32 PM
Their friend can join them on the jailbreak once it happens. He doesn't have to open the door, but he can show up with a getaway vehicle. Or some horses. Or a chariot, or whatever.

Since you only have three players, maybe this friend could give your group a hand for a little while afterwards.

Keithicus
2011-08-25, 02:34 PM
Thats nice. Not everyone gets the good doctors. It can be the 'motivation' not to lose or get too hurt. You get mangled pretty bad? Negative hit points bad? You get the bad doctors, not the good ones. You get the ones that leave you strapped to an unclean table for a few days, and set your bones without giving you painkillers first. Has the added bonus of making the regime seem worse. And you can even give the players some cool scars.

You aren't making roman so much as you are making it tough and gritty. The gladiator is heavily romanticized, all you need is a dose of realism, which you are sort of already doing.

Their friend can join them on the jailbreak once it happens. He doesn't have to open the door, but he can show up with a getaway vehicle. Or some horses. Or a chariot, or whatever.

Hmm that's an easy change to make (the bard already lost a fight so he knows that at the moment they still heal them... the reason to fight good is to be entertaining, if the crowd doesn't enjoy watching you win or lose then they'll put you in a deathmatch... Sadly that sounds a bit like professional wrestling "you aren't entertaining you're fired"). I'd simply base the 'bad' healing on the healers being moved to the war front.

EDIT: @Chilingsworth I don't see the NPC staying with the party for long after they're free. I'm already adjusting the encounters a bit and I don't want to have to manage a GMPC on top of everyone else.

Vladislav
2011-08-25, 02:44 PM
The Bard should obviously draw the attention of a lovely lady in the audience. I'm drawing a blank on the Duskblade and Dragon Shaman, unfortunately.

Keithicus
2011-08-25, 02:48 PM
The Bard should obviously draw the attention of a lovely lady in the audience. I'm drawing a blank on the Duskblade and Dragon Shaman, unfortunately.

Hmm if I wanted something like that to happen I could have the lady need bodyguards or something and notice that the other 2 are actually good fighters... I could see her buying them from the country. The only question from there is how she would be able to stop them from just going "kthxbai" and leaving

Vladislav
2011-08-25, 02:49 PM
With her womanly charms?!

Downysole
2011-08-25, 02:52 PM
You could have them fight for their freedom. If they win a certain number of matches (say, enough to get them halfway through a level) they can earn their freedom.

Keithicus
2011-08-25, 03:06 PM
I don't see womanly charms keeping these players around heh, I don't think I'll go with the "bard woos a rich woman in the crowd" method without a reasonable way that she thinks she'd be able to keep them from just running.

You could have them fight for their freedom. If they win a certain number of matches (say, enough to get them halfway through a level) they can earn their freedom.

They've only fought one battle outside of the gladiator arena heh and they all have either gained a level already or are close. That being said, I particularly don't like this idea as the PCs are prisoners of war. Would you want to set free enemy soldiers after they proved they are good fighters? That seems counter-intuitive to me as you wouldn't want to risk them simply going back to their nation and helping to defend it.

EDIT: I'll probably go with the route that somebody is either targeting the king or trying to start a riot, giving the PCs a chance to get out of the arena.