PDA

View Full Version : [D&D3.5] Auramancer [WIP]

Seerow
2011-08-25, 02:24 PM
Concept drawn from Tyndmyr's Auramancer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=212908), which while interesting in concept was absolutely terrible and pretty unplayable in actuality. While tossing suggestions to him I decided I wanted to try to take a shot at it.

As of now, I haven't begun work on the actual auras, so it will be hard to critique general power level. Right now I'm laying down the groundwork, getting the chasis up to par and laying the groundwork for an interesting subsystem based around the auras.

The idea is for the passive effects to be equivalent to spells a few levels lower than what is available at the level the aura comes online, and the unleash effect is equivalent to an on level spell. So your Superior Aura which is gained at level 16 will have unleash effects equivalent to 8th or 9th level spells, and passive effects closer to 5th or 6th level buffs/debuffs.

The class still needs a decent higher level ability, I could shift stuff around and move what's there to a higher level, but none of it really seems appropriate as a level 16+ ability, which is where the class features are really pretty bare. So what I need is a cool high level ability suggestion, and aura suggestions. Once I've got all this hammered out I'll start putting up Auras, Feats, and Items to work with it. [edit: Thought of a couple higher level features that I'm happy with for the moment, starting to put some auras up in the second post]

Hit Dice: d6
{table=head]{colsp=6}The Auramancer |{colsp=4} Auras Known
Level | BAB | Fort | Ref | Will | Class Features | Lesser | Moderate | Greater | Superior
1 | +0 | +0 | +0 | +2 |Auras, Unleash Aura, Aura Mastery+1 | 3 | 0 | 0 | 0
2 | +1 | +0 | +0 | +3 | | 3 | 0 | 0 | 0
3 | +1 | +1 | +1 | +3 | Read Aura | 4 | 0 | 0 | 0
4 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +4 |Aura Mastery+2 | 4 | 0 | 0 | 0
5 | +2 | +1 | +1 | +4 | | 5 | 0 | 0 | 0
6 | +3 | +2 | +2 | +5 | Aura Reformation (Full Round)| 5 | 1 | 0 | 0
7 | +3 | +2 | +2 | +5 | | 6 | 1 | 0 | 0
8 | +4 | +2 | +2 | +6 |Aura Mastery+3 | 6 | 2 | 0 | 0
9 | +4 | +3 | +3 | +6 | Expand Aura | 7 | 2 | 0 | 0
10 | +5 | +3 | +3 | +7 | Aura Reformation (Standard) | 7 | 3 | 0 | 0
11 | +5 | +3 | +3 | +7 | Disable Aura| 8 | 3 | 1 | 0
12 | +6 | +4 | +4 | +8 | Aura Mastery+4| 8 | 4 | 1 | 0
13 | +6 | +4 | +4 | +8 | Rapid Unleashing| 9 | 4 | 2 | 0
14 | +7 | +4 | +4 | +9 | Aura Reformation (Move)| 9 | 5 | 2 | 0
15 | +7 | +5 | +5 | +9 | | 10 | 5 | 3 | 0
16 | +8 | +5 | +5 | +10 |Aura Mastery+5 |10 | 6 | 3 | 1
17 | +8 | +5 | +5 | +10 | |11 | 6 | 4 | 1
18 | +9 | +6 | +6 | +11 | Superior Aura Mastery |11 | 7 | 4 | 2
19 | +9 | +6 | +6 | +11 | |12 | 7 | 5 | 2
20 | +10 | +6 | +6 | +12 |Aura Mastery+6 |12 | 8 | 5 | 3
[/table]

Class Skills (2+Int Mod per level, x4 at 1st level)
An Auramancer's Class Skills are: Appraise (Int), Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Decipher Script (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Gather Information (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (Arcana) (Int), Knowledge (The Planes) (Int), Listen (Wis), Profession (Wis), Sense Motive (Wis), Spellcraft (Int), Spot (Wis), Use Magic Device (Cha)

Quick Reference Chart for aura value/strain
{table=head]Aura Type | Aura Value | Aura Strain | Rapid Strain |Recharge Timeframe
Lesser | 1 | 1 | 2 | 1 round
Moderate | 3 | 4 | 6 | 2 rounds
Greater | 6 | 9 | 12 | 3 rounds
Superior | 10 | 15 | 20 | 5 rounds[/table]

Class Features:
Auras (Su)-At first level, the Auramancer knows 3 lesser auras. He is capable of projecting one of these auras at a time. The Auramancer may switch an active aura with another active aura of the same type, or put up a new aura if he is projecting fewer auras than his maximum, as a swift action. The number of auras the Auramancer may project increases by 1 per level. At 6th level, and every 5 levels thereafter, the Auramancer gains access to a new class of auras. Higher class auras are harder to project, and take up more slots relative to a lesser aura. A Moderate Aura takes up 3 points worth of auras to project, a Greater Aura takes 6 points, and a Superior Aura takes 10 points.

For example, a 20th level Auramancer can project a total value of 20 auras. This can be split up as 2 Superior Auras. Or 1 Superior, 1 Greater, 1 Moderate, and 1 lesser aura. Or 1 Greater Aura, 1 moderate aura, and 12 Lesser Auras. Or any other combination that they desire.

When an Aura is projected, its effect extends out 30ft from the Auramancer, and has the effect described in the aura description. Some of these auras are beneficial, others are harmful.

Aura Mastery(Su)-This bonus starts at +1 at level 1, and increases by 1 every 4 levels, to a maximum of +6 at level 20. Most auras derive their value from this feature.

Unleash Aura(Su)-The Auramancer is capable of unleashing his auras for a more powerful effect. The effect varies by aura and is listed in the aura description. Unleashing an Aura takes a standard action unless otherwise noted in the aura description. The Aura unleashed ceases being projected, and cannot be projected again for a number of rounds equal to half the aura's value. (So a lesser aura could be reprojected in the following round, but a Superior Aura would not be able to be reprojected for 5 rounds). The points that the unleashed aura used remain unusable until the time has elapsed for the aura to refresh. For example, a level 20 Auramancer who unleashess a Superior Aura may only project 10 points worth of auras for the following 5 rounds, and he may not use that 10 points to project the aura that was just unleashed (he could hower use it to project a different Superior aura)

Additionally, unleashing an aura incurs strain equal to 1.5 times the aura value, round down. (For example unleashing a lesser aura would incur 1 strain, while unleashing a superior aura would incur 15 strain). The Auramancer can handle strain up to his will save plus constitution modifer, plus charisma modifier. If this threshold is exceeded, the character becomes strained. He takes a -2 penalty to all stats, and may no longer take a swift action each round (he may however trade in his move action to gain the swift action back if desired). This penalty to stats does not modify his maximum strain, though other stat penalties would modify it accordingly. A short rest of roughly 5 minutes without strenuous activity will reset strain, and eliminate the strained penalty.

The Auramancer may continue unleashing auras while strained, however doing so can penalize him further. If the Auramancer gains 10 strain above his normal limit, he becomes drained. The penalty to all of his stats is increased to -6, and his projected aura limit is cut in half (round down), additionally a drained character is limited to a single action per round. Once a character has become drained, it takes a full 6 hours of rest to recover from this state. After 6 hours of rest, your strain is reset and you are no longer treated as being drained.

A couple of examples for clarity:
1) 1st level Auramancer with 12 Wisdom, 16 charisma, and 14 constitution, has a Will Save of +3, +3 charisma, and +2 con, so he could handle up to 8 points of strain before suffering. At 8 points of strain, he takes a -2 penalty to all stats, and takes an action penalty, but his straim limit is still 8. He can continue unleashing auras up until 18, at which point he becomes drained, and takes a -6 penalty to all stats and takes a further action penalty.

2) A 20th level Auramancer, now with 18 wisdom, 24 Con, 32 charisma, and a +5 saving throw item. His Will Save is +21, +11 for charisma and +7 for constitution, giving him a strain limit of 39. At 39 points of strain he becomes strained, and at 49 points he becomes drained.

Read Aura (Su)-The Auramancer is adept at not just manipulating his own aura, but also at reading those of others. Auras are not just the magical effects that the Auramancer takes advantage of, but also is something all people have. Starting at 3rd level, the Auramancer may spend a standard action to study an individual's aura. This informs the Auramancer of the target's alignment, and makes the Auramancer aware of any supernatural auras (such as an Aura of Good, Aura of Fear, a Marshal's Aura or another Auramancer's Auras) the target projects.

It also gives the Auramancer an impression of the target's attitude, and the target's strength relative to his own. The information about the target's mood is something the Auramancer is capable of taking advantage of, and the auramancer gains a insight bonus equal to his aura mastery to all charisma related checks involving that target. A target who is within 2 levels of the Auramancer will be perceived as close to him in power, above or below that he will interpret it as stronger or weaker than him, as appropriate.

Aura Reformation(Su)-Starting at 6th level, the Auramancer may spend a a full round action to change all of his auras at once, allowing him to take down all of his current auras and put up an equal value in different auras (he may choose to leave some of his auras up). At 10 level, this may be done as a standard action, and at 14 level, this may be done as a move action.

Expand Aura(Su)-The Auramancer can expand the effect of one of his auras, starting at level 9. By spending a swift action, the Auramancer may multiply the area his auras effect by an amount equal to his Aura Mastery + 1. So a level 20 auramancer may multiply an Aura's area by up to 7 (for a 210ft radius aura). Doing this incurs strain depending on the aura type, and the amount increased, shown in the table below. This effect lasts for 5 rounds, or until the aura is unleashed.

{table=head]Aura Type | Strain for x2 | Strain for x3 |Strain for x4 |Strain for x5 |Strain for x6 |Strain for x7
Lesser |1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Moderate | 2 | 3 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 9
Greater |3 | 4 | 6 | 7 | 9 | 10
Superior |5 | 7 | 9 | 11 | 13 | 15[/table]

Disable Aura (Su)-The Auramancer may make an attempt to disable an opponent's supernatural aura effects. Starting at 11th level, by spending a standard action, and incurring 5 strain, the Auramancer forces the target to make a Will saving throw DC14+aura mastery+cha mod, if the target fails, the target's aura is suppressed for a number of rounds equal to the Auramancer's aura mastery. The target may choose to spend a standard action to initiate another saving throw to reactivate his auras. If another Auramancer is targeted by this effect, he may apply his Aura Mastery bonus to the saving throw.

Rapid Unleashing(Su)-At 13th level, the Auramancer may opt to unleash an aura more rapidly, allowing him to unleash an aura that normally takes a standard action as a swift action instead. Doing so increases the strain incurred by the unleashing by 50% of the aura's value. (Thus making the total strain for a rapidly unleashed aura 2x aura value rather than 1.5x. A lesser aura would take 2, a superior aura would take 20).

Superior Aura Mastery (Su) - At 18th level the Auramancer may push himself far beyond his normal limits. The auramancer may spend a swift action to increase his aura mastery by up to 3, for 1 round Doing so incurs 3 strain for every point aura mastery is increased.

Seerow
2011-08-25, 02:26 PM
Okay, time to put some actual auras up so we can get a feel for how the class plays. Some of the actual class may still change, but I think I'm pretty happy with the strain system and the passive/unleash mechanic. Here's a few lesser auras.

Lesser Auras

Skill Aura, Minor
Benefit: This aura gives an enhancement bonus to a skill to yourself and all allies equal to your aura masteryx3. You may take this aura multiple times, each time you take this aura it is with a different skill.
Unleash: The skill bonus from this aura is doubled for one turn.

Elemental Aura, Minor
Benefit: When you choose this aura, pick one element: Fire, Cold, Electric, or Acid. This Aura is of that element, and causes 1d3 damage to any enemy who starts his turn within the aura. You may take this aura multiple times, each time you take this aura it is with a different element.
Unleash: You unleash the aura dealing 1d6 damage, plus 1d6 per point of aura mastery, plus charisma modifier damage to a single enemy within your aura. (Example, a level 1 Auramancer deals 2d6+cha mod, a level 20 auramancer deals 7d6+cha mod). The target may make a reflex saving throw DC 10+aura mastery+cha mod to take half damage.

Aura of Resistance
Benefit: You and all allies within the aura gain a bonus to one type of saving throws equivalent to your aura mastery, chosen when you activate this aura.
Unleash: When you or an ally makes a successful saving throw against an effect targeted by the save that you are currently increasing that still allows a partial effect on a successful save, you may use an immediate action to unleash this aura and negate that partial effect.

Aura of Annoyance
Benefit: Enemies within your aura take a penalty to attack rolls, saving throws, and skill checks equal to half your aura mastery (round up).
Unleash: You can unleash this aura to attempt to stun an enemy within your aura for 1 round. The enemy must make a Will save with a DC of 10+your aura mastery+charisma modifier.

Aura of Inspiration
Benefit: Allies within your aura gain a bonus to attack and damage rolls equal to your aura mastery.
Unleash: You can unleash this aura to grant one ally affected by your aura a free action attack, with the normal bonus from this aura except the damage bonus increased to 1d6 per aura mastery.

Aura of Healing, Minor
Benefit: You and all allies within your aura gain fast healing equal to your aura mastery. This effect may not bring your HP above 50%.
Unleash: You can unleash this aura to heal yourself or an ally within your aura for 1d8+aura masteryx3 hit points.

Aura of Courage
Benefit: You gain immunity to fear effects, and grant a morale bonus to all saving throws against fear to all allies within his aura equal to 2 times aura mastery.
Unleash: Unleashing this aura grants all allies an extra saving throw against any fear status effects, if they succeed they are no longer affected by the effect, and are immune to fear effects for the next round.

Stalwart Aura
Benefit: You and all allies within your aura gain a morale bonus to armor class equal to twice your aura mastery.
Unleash: You can spend an immediate action to unleash this aura, forcing an enemy who just hit you or an ally to reroll his attack. The defender keeps the passive bonus from this aura until that attack is resolved.

Aura of Wind, Minor
Benefit: This aura causes a constant wind within your aura, one category higher than normal using the Wind Effects Table (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/weather.htm#tableWindEffects), causing appropriate penalties for harsh wind conditions within that aura.
Unleash: You may unleash this aura to make a sudden gust of wind that acts as a ranged bull rush attempt against one target within your aura. Treat your strength for the bull rushing attempt as 4 plus twice your aura mastery. If the target is flying, and you succeed on your bull rush attempt, multiply the distance they are pushed back by 1d6.

Moderate Auras

Shielding Aura
Benefit: You gain resistance to an energy type chosen when you learn this aura equal to 5 times your aura mastery.
Unleash: You may unleash this aura as an immediate action to grant yourself or one ally within the aura immunity to the appropriate energy type until the start of your next turn.

Aura of Good/Evil/Law/Chaos
Benefit: You gain an aura of [alignment] (pick one appropriate to your alignment when you learn this aura) that acts as a if a protection from [alignment] were cast on you and your allies within the aura.
Unleash: You may unleash this aura to attempt to stun one enemy of the opposite alignment within your aura for 2 rounds. The creature is granted a Will Save DC 12+aura mastery+cha mod to merely be dazed instead.

Aura of Healing
Benefit: You and all allies within your aura gain fast healing equal to your aura mastery x2. This effect may not bring your HP above 60%.
Unleash: You can unleash this aura to heal yourself or an ally within your aura for 5d8+aura masteryx5 hit points.

Greater Auras

Aura of Fear
Benefit: An enemy who enters your aura of fear must make a will save DC12+aura mastery+cha modifier, or be shakened. An enemy may be affected by this aura only once, if they succeed on the saving throw they become immune to its effects for 24 hours. An enemy affected remains shaken for 5d6 rounds after they leave the effects of your aura. If an enemy is already under a fear effect before being affected by this aura, they progress to Frightened or Panicked as appropriate.
Unleash: You may unleash this aura to target one enemy and force them to make a Will Saving throw DC12+aura mastery+cha modifier, or be Panicked for 2d6 rounds.

Superior Auras

Aura of Healing, Greater
Benefit: You and all allies within your aura gain fast healing equal to your aura mastery x3. This effect may not bring your HP above 80%.
Unleash: You can unleash this aura to heal yourself or an ally within your aura for 100 plus your aura masteryx10 hit points.

To do:
-Greater elemental/wind auras
-Haste Aura
-Stat boost auras
-Possibly HD boost aura
-Dimensional Anchoring aura
-Mind Blank/other immunities auras
-Greater skill trick aura that gives access to skill tricks
-Some sort of mind control aura. (probably as an unleash effect)
-Illusion-focused aura (Hallucinatory Terrain type effect)
-Caster level buff Aura (unleash, bypass all SR for one round?)
-Combat Maneuver (ie trip, bull rush, etc) buff aura (unleash, grant a ToB maneuver, or fighter bonus feat for a few rounds?)
-Reflect Damage Aura
-DR/- Aura
-Snare Aura (reduce speed, unleash for mass grapple a la black tentacles)

Seerow
2011-08-25, 02:27 PM
[Reserved for feats and magic items]

Seerow
2011-08-29, 10:19 PM
Bumping this because there are now several auras, as well as a list of auras that are on the to-do list, to give a better idea of what sorts of effects are intended.

Lappy9000
2011-08-29, 11:46 PM
I had what I thought was a nice critique before I realized I might not actually understand the mechanic: Does an activated aura stay on indefinitely like most? I saw the "Recharge" table and it confused me.

If all the auras are on full time, it leads to a problem with the auramancer not really having a lot to do with their actions. They don't have spells and can't really attack (You forgot the Weapon/Armor proficiencies, btw :smalltongue:), so if your current auras are serving the party just fine, an auramancer doesn't have a ton of options. Also, with a skill selection like that, you might as well give them 4/level.

Basically, while I love auras (and I really do), I'm a little dubious if they can be made well into a full class, instead of just a nice add-in. You've got a pretty good framework right now, so I'm hopeful :smallsmile:

Seerow
2011-08-29, 11:55 PM
I had what I thought was a nice critique before I realized I might not actually understand the mechanic: Does an activated aura stay on indefinitely like most? I saw the "Recharge" table and it confused me.

If all the auras are on full time, it leads to a problem with the auramancer not really having a lot to do with their actions. They don't have spells and can't really attack (You forgot the Weapon/Armor proficiencies, btw :smalltongue:), so if your current auras are serving the party just fine, an auramancer doesn't have a ton of options. Also, with a skill selection like that, you might as well give them 4/level.

Basically, while I love auras (and I really do), I'm a little dubious if they can be made well into a full class, instead of just a nice add-in. You've got a pretty good framework right now, so I'm hopeful :smallsmile:

Okay, quick explanation of the aura mechanic (after I explain if you can advise how to make it clearer in the class write up I'd appreciate it!)

Every Aura has a value. Minor Auras are worth 1 point. Moderate Auras are worth 3 points. Greater Auras are worth 6 points. Superior Auras are worth 10 points.

The Auramancer knows as many auras as is indicated on the level table, but he may only project 20 points worth of auras.

Each Aura has two effects. The basic passive effect, and the much more awesome unleash effect. Unleashing an aura deactivates the aura for a number of rounds equal to half the auras value (so a minor aura is down for 1 round, a moderate 2 rounds, greater 3 rounds, superior 5 rounds), and also incurs strain on the Auramancer. If the Auramancer reaches certain levels of strain, he takes penalties to stats, and loses actions (much like being fatigued/exhausted, but different names to avoid immunity cheese). Strain can be removed by resting out of combat, and is mainly a limiter for in combat actions. (The cap may need to be adjusted to reflect that eventually)

I agree that just projecting auras and being a buff stick is boring, which is why I made that subsystem with the unleashing of auras for something else to do with your actions, and also give a meaningful choice: Do I want to have my aura up, or do I want this effect? For example the Greater Healing Aura is effectively a Heal Spell, but to activate it, you incur 15 strain, and lose access to your fast healing aura for 5 rounds. Plus for that 5 rounds you now only have 10 points worth of auras projected, rather than the normal 20. Making it a pretty hefty trade off.

Edit: So looking at it again, I can definitely see where it is pretty confusing. So I want to simplify the mechanic. Right now there's two penalties for unleashing: The Strain, and the losing your aura for X rounds. I was thinking a quick way to simplify it would be to make either one or the other. So you can spam your high level aura unleash, but you'll get strained quickly, or you are limited by your recharge times but not strain.

Which of these do you think would be better? The Strain mechanic lets you keep your auras up at all times, which is nice because well auras are the focus of the class. On the other hand, losing your aura for a few rounds after unleashing it is a more tactically interesting choice.