PDA

View Full Version : That'ssssss a very nice adventure you have there... [3.5, Monster]

strawberryman
2011-08-25, 03:36 PM
I am completely shameless, that's why.

The Creeper (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2rDbRUDkds#t=01m22s)
http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/2526/creeperminecraftbyamini.jpg (http://a-mini-boss.deviantart.com/art/Creeper-Minecraft-209060731)
Size/Type: Medium Plant
Hit Dice: 6d8+12 (39 hp)
Initiative: +6
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 20 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (+2 Dex, +6 natural), touch 12, flat-footed 16
Base Attack/Grapple: +4/+5
Attack: -
Full Attack: -
Space/Reach: 5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Explosion
Special Qualities: Darkvision 60 ft., immunity to arcane cold, electricity, and fire, low-light vision, plant traits
Saves: Fort +7, Ref +2, Will +0
Abilities: Str 12, Dex 15, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 9
Skills: Hide +14, Move Silently +18, Spot +8
Feats: Awareness, Improved Initiative, Stealthy
Environment: Temperate Forests
Organization: Solitary or herd (4-7)
Challenge Rating: 4
Treasure: Special; see below
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: 7-18 HD (Medium)
Level Adjustment: —

Quiet son, I heard something move by the barn. I'll not have wolves killing the stock again...

*crack, hissssssss*

What the!?

*BOOM*

No one knows whence The Creeper originated from. Some say it was made by vengeful druids. Some say it is a sadistic spirit of the woods. All that is known is that these vile beasts will destroy everything you hold dear to you, everything you put your life's work into, and you will never see them before they come for you.

The Creeper is despair wrought by nature incarnate. And it probably knows it.

Creepers possess no items, but if they are killed before they explode, they leave behind 1d4 ounces of highly volatile sulfur. One ounce of this sulfur used in the casting of a fireball spell empowers it without any spell level adjustment.

Combat

The Creeper always prowls silently towards unwelcome creatures (usually adventurers) silently, then detonates when it is within point-blank blast range. They usually attack with other creatures of the forest, as otherwise they are easily dispatched before they can explode, and they possess no other types of offense.

Explosion (Su)
The Creeper is an exploding mass of death that will invariably ruin your day. As a standard action, it explodes in a 20 foot burst that deals 6d12 damage. Creatures in the blast may attempt a Reflex save (DC 15) for half damage. The blast also destroys any nonliving matter in the area, and finally, the area is affected as if a plant growth (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/plantGrowth.htm) spell (overgrowth option) were cast 1d4 minutes later, with a caster level equal to the creeper's hit die. The save is Constitution-based.
The damage dealt by the blast increases by one additional die for every hit die an advanced creeper possesses.

Immunity to Arcane Cold, Electricity, and Fire (Ex)
Creepers take no damage from cold, electricity, or fire dealt by arcane magic. When attacked with cold, a creeper's speed is halved, but they gain a enhancement bonus to natural armor equal to the spell level that deteriorates at 1 point per round. Creatures that strike it with natural weapons or unarmed strikes take 1d6 cold damage per remaining point of natural armor.
When attacked with electricity, the creeper gains 5 temporary hit points per level of the spell.
When attacked with fire, creepers gain a enhancement bonus to land speed equal to 5' times the spell level which deteriorates at 5' a round, and creatures that strike it with natural weapons or unarmed strikes take 1d6 fire damage per remaining 5'.
In any of these cases, the creeper's explosion is also modified; it deals an additional die of damage and its range is increased by 5 feet per level of the spell.

Skills
Creepers have a +6 racial bonus on Hide and Move Silently checks. *They have a +16 racial bonus on Hide checks when in a forested area.

Summon Nature's Ally: Creepers can be summoned with Summon Nature's Ally V.

137beth
2011-08-25, 04:22 PM
I suggest making it immune (or at least resistant) to all cold, electricity, and fire, as only being immune to blaster spells is fairly insignificant.

Other than that, I like it.

GFawkes
2011-08-25, 06:02 PM
That's some nice homebrew you've made there.

Be a shame if something happened to it.

In all honesty, very nice work. Out of curiosity, does it take extra damage from diamonds?

Owrtho
2011-08-25, 06:09 PM
I'm somewhat confused as to the immunities it has (given there is no sign of them in Minecraft). Particularly given that it almost requires ranged attacks to kill it.

Otherwise seems nice, though I might suggest putting a fuse on the explosion ability. Something like after activating the ability it won't blow up for 1 or 2 turns, but can freely take actions and also gives off a distinctive hissing noise that penalizes any move silently checks.

Owrtho

The-Mage-King
2011-08-25, 06:09 PM
You... You beat me to it. I wassssss working on a ssssset of thesssssse to possssssst.

Oh well.

strawberryman
2011-08-25, 08:53 PM
I'm somewhat confused as to the immunities it has (given there is no sign of them in Minecraft). Particularly given that it almost requires ranged attacks to kill it.

Well, it was based on these (http://www.minecraftwiki.net/wiki/Creeper#Charged_Creepers), I just kind of went from there.

Domriso
2011-08-25, 11:02 PM
Ehehehehe, I enjoy this. I will have much fun with these. I also don't quite understand the immunity to energy damages, but, eh, I can live with it.

strawberryman
2011-08-25, 11:22 PM
As for the immunities, it's a druid thing. I could probably just as easily make it straight immunity, too. :smalltongue: But this started as thinking that the Ashbound totally would have made creepers as a form of ecological terrorism. And arcane magic is filthy to them, so there you go.

GFawkes
2011-08-26, 12:43 AM
I just realized something: what happens to a druid who uses Wild Shape to turn into a Creeper?

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-26, 10:44 AM
My suggestion:

ditch the elemental immunities. Creepers die in lava all the time, so fire immunity just make no sense.

However, do put this in:

Electrical Overcharge (Ex): If a creeper takes Lightning damage, it takes no damage, but instead becomes supercharged. The Explosion ability doubles in damage, the DC of the reflex save increases to 23, and the blast radius is doubled.

I'd also suggest giving them a +10 racial modifier to Move Silently.

Shadow Lord
2011-08-26, 04:54 PM
My suggestion:

ditch the elemental immunities. Creepers die in lava all the time, so fire immunity just make no sense.

However, do put this in:

Electrical Overcharge (Ex): If a creeper takes Lightning damage, it takes no damage, but instead becomes supercharged. The Explosion ability doubles in damage, the DC of the reflex save increases to 23, and the blast radius is doubled.

I'd also suggest giving them a +10 racial modifier to Move Silently.

But Creepers are hurt by the Lightning strikes. It would be better to make it so that for every X damage, Y happens.

strawberryman
2011-08-26, 10:53 PM
My suggestion:

This isn't a perfect port. I just took a little creative license. :smalltongue:

Doorhandle
2011-08-26, 11:12 PM
You need to make rules for a power-creeper

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/images/9/98/Electrified_Creeper.png

Maybe it gains 5 hit-die whenever it's hit by lightning?

Welknair
2011-08-26, 11:47 PM
You need to make rules for a power-creeper

http://www.minecraftwiki.net/images/9/98/Electrified_Creeper.png

Maybe it gains 5 hit-die whenever it's hit by lightning?

Immunity to Arcane Cold, Electricity, and Fire (Ex)
Creepers take no damage from cold, electricity, or fire dealt by arcane magic. When attacked with cold, a creeper's speed is halved, but they gain a enhancement bonus to natural armor equal to the spell level that deteriorates at 1 point per round. Creatures that strike it with natural weapons or unarmed strikes take 1d6 cold damage per remaining point of natural armor.
When attacked with electricity, the creeper gains 5 temporary hit points per level of the spell.
When attacked with fire, creepers gain a enhancement bonus to land speed equal to 5' times the spell level which deteriorates at 5' a round, and creatures that strike it with natural weapons or unarmed strikes take 1d6 fire damage per remaining 5'.
In any of these cases, the creeper's explosion is also modified; it deals an additional die of damage and its range is increased by 5 feet per level of the spell.

Rules for charged Creepers are already included.

Cieyrin
2011-08-28, 11:16 AM
Nice, though when the Creeper explodes, it doesn't actually die, according to your rules as written, so it can just sit there and keep exploding. I know that's not how it was intended but...yeah...

Welknair
2011-08-28, 12:56 PM
Nice, though when the Creeper explodes, it doesn't actually die, according to your rules as written, so it can just sit there and keep exploding. I know that's not how it was intended but...yeah...

It doesn't say it's exempt from it's own Explosion. 6d12 deals an average of 39 damage, which is exactly how much HP the Creeper has. So it has a 50% chance of dying when it Explodes. Which is still 50% too high...

Cieyrin
2011-08-28, 01:00 PM
It doesn't say it's exempt from it's own Explosion. 6d12 deals an average of 39 damage, which is exactly how much HP the Creeper has. So it has a 50% chance of dying when it Explodes. Which is still 50% too high...

It can also save against its own explosion and take half damage, making it even more likely to make more explosions. Depending on luck, your average Creeper will get off 2-3 explosions if unharassed, though after seeing the devastation wreaked the first time, characters will do their damnedest to disable 'em quickly.

Eledragon
2011-08-28, 01:13 PM
:smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin::smallbiggrin:

now that that's out of the way...

can we make this a PC race? :smallbiggrin:

maybe with a lessened explosion size, no hands, no immunity's, and +1 CL to [electricity] spells?:smallwink:

Maquise
2011-08-28, 01:13 PM
Thank you!
My players will learn to never try to tunnel around a dungeon!

Bwhahahahahahqahahahah!

Welknair
2011-08-28, 01:16 PM
It can also save against its own explosion and take half damage, making it even more likely to make more explosions. Depending on luck, your average Creeper will get off 2-3 explosions if unharassed, though after seeing the devastation wreaked the first time, characters will do their damnedest to disable 'em quickly.

I also notice that the Explosion deals untyped damage. If it were to deal Fire damage, it would be entirely immune.

Cieyrin
2011-08-28, 02:38 PM
I also notice that the Explosion deals untyped damage. If it were to deal Fire damage, it would be entirely immune.

They're only immune to fire from arcane sources. Supernatural isn't specifically arcane.

Qwertystop
2011-08-28, 02:45 PM
The sulfur should be usable in any [Fire] spell (or maybe just any area-of-effect [Fire] spell), and any spell with Explosive Spell on it, not just Fireball.

Welknair
2011-08-28, 03:08 PM
They're only immune to fire from arcane sources. Supernatural isn't specifically arcane.

I didn't even notice that. Wait, why are they only immune to energy damage from arcane sources? What's the fluff explanation for that? In the game, it was natural lightning that caused the super-charged-ness...

Cieyrin
2011-08-28, 03:27 PM
I didn't even notice that. Wait, why are they only immune to energy damage from arcane sources? What's the fluff explanation for that? In the game, it was natural lightning that caused the super-charged-ness...

I think it's their perceived Druidness, I guess.... :smallconfused:

Welknair
2011-08-28, 04:44 PM
I think it's their perceived Druidness, I guess.... :smallconfused:

So if I were leading a squad of Wizards to fight an oncoming Creeper Army (Which is far more effective if they can survive exploding. Back 'em up with Druids to heal them after each boom and they're sustainable) it would be a good idea for the Wizards to all use Alternate Source Spell to penetrate their energy immunities. Huh. I also note that they do not have immunities to Acid or Sonic damage.