PDA

View Full Version : Healing Devotion granted ability duration?

gomipile
2011-08-25, 03:59 PM
If my cleric gives a charge of Healing Devotion to someone, they can activate it just as the cleric.

However, if they don't activate it, how long is this ability still available to them? Does it go away when they sleep? The next day? Ever?

Eisirt
2011-08-25, 04:47 PM
How I read it is that you do not give a charge to them to use, but transfer an ongoing effect to another person.

mabriss lethe
2011-08-25, 07:27 PM
actually, no. (barring errata that I'm unaware of.) As written, you give the full benefit of the feat to another person. It also has no expiration date. If you want to get technical, it doesn't even vanish when used, since passing it on to another grants them the benefit of the feat which includes the 1/day part of the ability.

It *was* somewhat poorly written or at least poorly thought out.

Benefit: Once per day, you can gain fast healing 1, +1 for every five character levels you possess (maximum fast healing 5 at 20th level). This effect lasts for 1 minute.
You can activate this feat as an immediate action or, if you have a daily available, it automatically activates if you are reduced to 0 hit points or below (but not killed).
Special: As a full-round action, you can transfer this ability to a willing recipient as a touch spell. Doing so counts as one daily use of the ability.
You can select this feat multiple times, gaining one additional daily use each time you take it.
If you have the ability to turn or rebuke undead, you gain one additional daily use of this feat for each daily turn or rebuke use you expend.

Cog
2011-08-25, 08:36 PM
Fast healing certainly is an ability, so I'm not sure why you're so certain that it cannot be the ability referred to in the feat's text. That interpretation makes far more sense, given the context.

mabriss lethe
2011-08-25, 11:42 PM
Don't get me wrong, I think that a strictly word for word reading is a bit cracked.

But it's RAI vs RAW here. Since the 'special' section doesn't specify a limitation concerning what ability it grants, it grants everything listed under the 'Benefits' section of the feat. Remember, when you transfer it, it's not just transferring fast healing. It's transferring the rules under which it operates as part of the Healing Devotion feat.

I'm not saying that's a good thing, and it's pretty obvious what they meant to create when they wrote the feat. It comes down to a case of poor editing/mechanics...but no one would ever think WotC would be capable of that.

gomipile
2011-08-26, 04:05 AM
Okay, the group I'm with has our cleric using this in such a way that she transfers the ability to the targets ahead of time, so that they may activate the fast healing as an immediate action when needed. The DM is fine with it being that way.

Given that, and that the feat is 1/day in and of itself, we (the players) agreed that it makes sense for the conferred ability to expire within a day if not used. We forgot to bring it up with the DM during the game session, though.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-26, 04:11 AM
Healing Devotion lasts for one minute. Period. When you transfer this ability to someone else, it does not change the duration. Thus it lasts for one minute, less the amount of time you were using it personally.

gomipile
2011-08-26, 04:21 AM
Healing Devotion lasts for one minute. Period. When you transfer this ability to someone else, it does not change the duration. Thus it lasts for one minute, less the amount of time you were using it personally.

A destinction: the fast healing granted by Healing Devotion lasts one minute.

The feat reads: "As a full-round action, you can transfer this ability to a willing recipient" not "you can transfer the fast healing effect."

Since it refers to the ability of the feat, and specifically not to the fast healing effect, our DM ruled that it is the feat's ability to gain fast healing which is transferred, not the fast healing effect.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-08-26, 04:24 AM
A destinction: the fast healing granted by Healing Devotion lasts one minute.

The feat reads: "As a full-round action, you can transfer this ability to a willing recipient" not "you can transfer the fast healing effect."

Since it refers to the ability of the feat, and specifically not to the fast healing effect, our DM ruled that it is the feat's ability to gain fast healing which is transferred, not the fast healing effect.

Fast Healing is an ability. The feat is *NOT*. Furthermore, as the sentence immediately follows the description of the fast healing, it is implicitly referring to aforementioned fast healing ability.

MORBO SAYS IT NOT WORK THAT WAY!!!

gomipile
2011-08-26, 05:04 AM
Ok, then let me rephrase, so that you might provide a reply useful to my purpose in asking the question of this thread.

Please assume that it does, in fact, work that way, as that is how my DM has ruled it.

Given that, how long would you have the granted ability stay available on the target character? The most reasonable answer I've gotten is "one day" and that wasn't even in this thread.

My own inclination is "until the next time that x/day abilities reset."

kestrel404
2011-08-26, 06:52 AM
Ok, then let me rephrase, so that you might provide a reply useful to my purpose in asking the question of this thread.

Please assume that it does, in fact, work that way, as that is how my DM has ruled it.

Given that, how long would you have the granted ability stay available on the target character? The most reasonable answer I've gotten is "one day" and that wasn't even in this thread.

My own inclination is "until the next time that x/day abilities reset."

If I were to assume that you transfer the ability granted by the feat to someone, then I would rule that the ability is available to them until they activate it. I would also rule, for the sake of sanity, that any given person may not have more than 1 such ability available to them at any time - you may not give them the ability to activate fast healy twice without them using it (or if you do, it's wasted), and a second person may not give them that ability. This does mean that everyone in the party can have a minute of Fast Healing N right after downtime - but that's not really a huge deal, IMO.