PDA

View Full Version : Character Assistance

*.*.*.*
2011-08-25, 06:53 PM
Sup /gitp/?

I have a possible campaign starting up soon and am in need of a character. The game will be in a custom campaign world and I'm looking for a character who is pretty well rounded in all fields. The DM in question is likely to OK about anything and he is known to throw HORRIBLY overpowering encounters at us(Great Wyrm Red Dragon v.s. a level 14 party). He sucks at tactics, but throws CR out the window as he sees fit. This guy is easily my favorite DM, so I'm looking for an enjoyable character that I can play throughout the entire campaign.

What I'm looking for: A level 13 Gestalt character who is good at a little bit of everything. I would prefer evil alignment(long story) and an unusual race. I would prefer said race be humanoid(not the type)

Rules:
All 3.5 books and sources
3rd party stuff is okay(to an extent)
Monsters are played at their CR(like pathfinder) and all LA and HD can be put on one side of the gestalt
PrCs on either side is okay, as is theurges

Any Ideas?

I was humoring a Noble drow(pathfinder version) Cleric/walker in the waste//Druid with Faeri Mysteries Initiate(Int and Cha to Hp? YES PLOX). However, this combo seems a tad bit boring too me and will be my backup if need be.

Flickerdart
2011-08-25, 06:56 PM
Factotum on one side, Archivist on the other. If there's anything all the skills and all the spells can't do, then you are not trying hard enough.

*.*.*.*
2011-08-25, 07:05 PM
Factotum on one side, Archivist on the other. If there's anything all the skills and all the spells can't do, then you are not trying hard enough.

So totally haven't seen that combo too many times. If someone could post something a tad bit less cookie-cutter, I'd appreciate it.

I was also thinking of something like:
Worm that walks 3/WarbladeX//Swordsagex/Shadow templar/Nar Demonbinder/Ultimate Magus

Qualifying with WtW SLA's, but this build is still a tad bit lacking in the Skills and saves department. I'm a huge fan of UM, if anyone could help, I would be grateful.

Metahuman1
2011-08-25, 07:44 PM
I like Bard//Warblade maybe with some outsider Hit dice and a dip into Paladin of Tyranny or Slaughter? Your fairly versitial with good application of skills and choices in maneuvers and spells, and aren't even really that MAD, particularly not if you grab Fearie Mysteries Initiate or Dry Lich and Melodic Casting so that you can dump Con.

*.*.*.*
2011-08-25, 08:27 PM
I like Bard//Warblade maybe with some outsider Hit dice and a dip into Paladin of Tyranny or Slaughter? Your fairly versitial with good application of skills and choices in maneuvers and spells, and aren't even really that MAD, particularly not if you grab Fearie Mysteries Initiate or Dry Lich and Melodic Casting so that you can dump Con.

I'm not a big fan of the bard class, but thanks for the suggestion

DiBastet
2011-08-25, 08:44 PM
So, Bard on one side for being able to do everything. Possibly dervish bard?

Maybe nymph on the other side, for full druid casting, some wicked Cha sinergy, stunning people and all that?

Or maybe Ghaele Azata for the casting and outsider traits?

Paladin (or anti) on one side for melee goodness + nymph on the other side for full druid casting, 6 skillpoints, the various abilities and cha sinergy?

Both races should have an rp reason to be evil (the good old "cursed by a fiend" and the variations make it cool), but you can manage it.

Lots of options.

sreservoir
2011-08-25, 09:41 PM
gloura LA 2/fey 7/X 1/sublime chord 10//caster 2/binder 1/caster +1/anima mage 10/X 6 seems somewhat interesting to me. gloura is CR 7, so playing at CR would be a bit like playing a bard, delaying class features for seven levels, and getting ability bonuses everywhere you care about. the bit about devious gloura even makes certain evil gloura exist and are notable.

hex0
2011-08-26, 12:59 AM
Play Factotum/Duskblade up to 8 to get Brains over Brawn, then take Spellthief/Duskblade up to 13 (be sure to get master spellthief). Very simple and versatile.

Or if you want some d12 hit die, bonus spell, and ability boosting action...take Dragon Disciple/Duskblade after Factotum. (DD is actually useful in Gestalt)

Don't know about the race though would have to be +0 if you want full arcane channeling

ZombiePunch
2011-08-26, 01:09 AM

Go from Factotum to Chameleon (Races of Destiny pg. 111)
Can't get more well rounded than being every class.

Hirax
2011-08-26, 01:17 AM
Factotum13//rogue3/swordsage2/assassin8

*.*.*.*
2011-08-26, 01:42 AM
Haha, I love all of the factotum suggestions. It is truly a wonderful class, but I'm not sure if I want to play one. I made a potential build for my wife and it involved a lot of factotum and I don't want to step on her shoes.

Her build:
Succubus7/Factotum 3/Iajutsu Master 10//
Battle Dancer 1/Hexblade 2/Arcane Dualist 2/PoS 2/Blackguard 3/Mystic wanderer 1/Lion Totem barbarian 1/Factotum 8

She may play this, but she may not. I don't really like sharing classes too much

DeAnno
2011-08-26, 01:51 AM
When you say you run LA up one side, does that mean that LA levels kill off hp/skills/saves on both sides, or are they simply overridden by the Class Level side? In any case, a bit of inspiration from a recent thread comes to mind...

Succubus (CR 7, 6 Outsider HD)

Succubus 7/Paladin of Slaughter 2/Marshal 3/Battledancer 1||Sorcerer 6/Random Casting PRC 7

[Note there are Multiclass penalities, but in this type of game I sort of doubt theyre enforced]

The general idea is that a Succubus has a massive racial Cha bonus of +16, and you can use this to accrue some truly massive bonuses. +Cha to AC and Saves from Pally/Battledancer gives you the durability a gestalt typically needs, and from Marshal you can select two very powerful Minor Auras: Motivate Dexterity and Determined Caster. You can either apply a 60 foot aura of +Cha to Initiative, Hide, and Move Silently (you do this silently with your telepathy), or a 60 foot aura of +Cha to SR checks, which will be a huge boon to the Sorcerer side.

As for the Sorc, do whatever and get lots of bonus spells from all the Cha, and you'll probably never ever have to worry about SR (and even be able to break stupid high SR if you have Assay Resistance too).

You can teleport anywhere, you're excellent at sneaking around, you have full spellcasting with probably 17+16+3+4 = 40 Cha at least, you have Telepathy (Mindsight anyone?), Ex Flying, Mindreading at will at a silly high DC, can look like whatever humanoid you want, and have a ton of skills with natural +6 Int and 6 Outsider HD.

*.*.*.*
2011-08-26, 01:53 AM
Succubus

*looks at above build* My wife is already thinking about playing a Succubus, nice build though. My wife requested a *no casty* build and that was the best thing I could do.

DeAnno
2011-08-26, 02:04 AM
The thing you have to remember about Gestalt builds, is that they really aren't about playing two classes at once. They're about becoming a force of nature, a contradiction in terms, an instrument of death. If you look at your gestalt build and you don't feel something like that inside, you're doing it wrong.

hex0
2011-08-26, 01:48 PM
Since your wife is playing a Succubus, why not play a Babau? They don't have a level adjustment, but I'd give it around +5 or +6 (ask your GM)?

Gestalt your racial HD with Barbarian and grapple people. It's Protective Slime ability doesn't say it deals damage in a grapple RAW, but I would assume it would. Save DC is Constitution based so while raging it would be hard to miss.

Take improved natural attack, rage and grapple foes.... massive claw damage combined with 2d6 sneak attack and 1d8 acid! :smallcool:

A party of demons sounds sweeeet

Edit: ECL calc (http://personal.nbnet.nb.ca/shadows/Handbook/ECLcalc.html) says about +6 LA by my calculations.

So...starting at 13 you could have Babau/Barbarian 7 with +5 LA. If you kept advancing your Babau hit die you can increase your size and your grapple/natural attack damage

Groverfield
2011-08-26, 03:37 PM
Ever thought about Warlock? Sure it's not widely considered "Extremely Powerful," but UMD class skill and specialization means that you effectively have any spell you want, as long as you can make a comparative UMD check versus a target number. If you take it up to 15th (or 14th, if the DM lets you take craft feats early,) then you can make any wand, and thus have access to any spell ever. On the other side of the character... sure there's factotem as a possibility, but I'd suggest something with a bit more synergy to CHA instead of CHA/INT/DEX/CON/(WIS is nice too.) Your idea from there, if you like the thought...

Hirax
2011-08-26, 04:28 PM
Have you considered a simple archivist//wizard combo? With that many spells and a high int for skill points, I'd say that allows you to be good at pretty much everything.

edit: if theurges are allowed then you could do wizard3/theurge10//archivist3/warblade10

You could sub out the warblade for anything really, but even with a low strength score, the maneuvers, good fort saves, and d12HD would be nice. So you'll rock at melee, spellcasting, and skills. You'll even get good int synergy out of the warblade, since at warblade 7 you get your int bonus to attack rolls on flat footed or flanked opponents.

I'd suggest a lesser tiefling (+2dex, +2 int, -2 wis), or if you really want to up the strange level, an anthromorphic bat (-4 str, +6 wis, -4 cha, 20' fly speed, Savage Species). I wouldn't spend go for more than a level adjustment of 3 if you can swing your DM allowing you to put the 3 levels of adjustment at the end of one side, rather than the beginning. Otherwise you can't take theurge at level 4.

*.*.*.*
2011-08-26, 04:41 PM
I'm trying my best to avoid divine casting, part of the character concept and all that. In regards to that, I really appreciate all of the help everyone. Even if I don't specifically respond to you, it doesn't mean I'm not pondering the shiz about it.

Does anyone know of any fiends that possess good mentals(namely Int and Cha) with some good physicals mixed in? I've been looking and looking, but I can't find any that isn't approaching CR 17-18

Greenish
2011-08-26, 05:04 PM
I don't have a fully detailed build, but artificers tend to be pretty good at everything, and since you have space for it, Janni (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/genie.htm#janni) might be an interesting race.

Hirax
2011-08-26, 05:51 PM
Hm, what about a spellwarped (MM3) and phrenic (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/monsters/phrenicCreature.htm) creature then? Total level adjustment would be +5, ability score bumps would total +4 str, +2 con, +4 dex, +6 int, +2 wis, and +4 cha. Both templates come with lots of nifty abilities, and spellwarped makes your type aberration and alignment "usually evil." Apply to a LA 0 race (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19546874/Master_Player_Race_List_Version_2.0) of your choice.

Wizard5/mindbender1/geometer5/spellsword1/archmage1//LA5/warblade7/eldritch knight1 (warblade 8 gets you absolutely nothing, eldritch knight gets you a feat at least)

Psyren
2011-08-26, 05:52 PM
What I'm looking for: A level 13 Gestalt character who is good at a little bit of everything.

With this guideline you're going to get a lot of Factotum, Binder and T1 suggestions. So if you're not fine with these, you may want to specify up front.

*.*.*.*
2011-08-26, 06:05 PM
With this guideline you're going to get a lot of Factotum, Binder and T1 suggestions. So if you're not fine with these, you may want to specify up front.

I'm okay with Binders and T1's, just not the divine ones. I was really looking for off-the-wall combo's that gave me some good versatility. Exotic races are a bonus as well, as I don't get this opportunity often

Hirax
2011-08-26, 06:31 PM
I've got it! A phrenic spellwarped dark anthromorphic bat. I envision that being a like a much more twisted and ravaged looking imp. Dark adds 1 LA, but ups your fly speed to 30, and land speed to 15. You'd wind up with +0 str, +2 con, +4 dex, +6 int, +8 wis, +0 cha. Dark is from Tome of Magic btw, it also grants you hide in plain sight, among other things. Great template, can also be obtained without any level adjustment by a magic item (collar of umbral metamorphosis) in the same book if you're willing to sink gold into it.

Alternatively catfolk are also LA+1, and would get you an additional +4 dex and +2 cha. So a phrenic spellwarped catfolk would have +4 str, +8 dex, +2 con, +6 int, +2 wis, and +6 cha. On top of lots of other nifty abilities.

Quirp
2011-08-26, 06:41 PM
How about a karsite binder//melee classes/shadowsmith? Karsites are like humans, but come with some extra abilities and the shadowsmith grants a few mysteries, skills and the ability to create your weapons from shadow. Combining the build with melee vestiges and the right feats might give you a decently powerful, versertile and definetly unusual build.

sreservoir
2011-08-26, 06:50 PM
shaedling (don't care)//(don't care)! you can make anything you want as long as it it weighs sufficiently little! this includes scrolls of wish! this includes rings of three wishes! this includes dorjes of reality revision!

*.*.*.*
2011-08-26, 07:08 PM
I've got it! A phrenic spellwarped dark anthromorphic bat. I envision that being a like a much more twisted and ravaged looking imp. Dark adds 1 LA, but ups your fly speed to 30, and land speed to 15. You'd wind up with +0 str, +2 con, +4 dex, +6 int, +8 wis, +0 cha. Dark is from Tome of Magic btw, it also grants you hide in plain sight, among other things. Great template, can also be obtained without any level adjustment by a magic item (collar of umbral metamorphosis) in the same book if you're willing to sink gold into it.

Nice! That is a suggestion I like! This will be added to the list of considerations, any more will be definitely appreciated. For future reference, I'm looking for arcane spellcasting on one side. That's one reason I like a Shadow templar UM build.

Any more suggestions guys? You peeps surely don't disappoint!

Metahuman1
2011-08-26, 07:35 PM
What about Sword sage 2/ Whatever X/ Exemplar 9 /Whatever X//Artificer X/ Racial Hit dice X/ LA X?

Here's my brilliant plan.

Take Faerie Mystery's Initiate. Take Kung Fu Genius.

Max the **** out of your Int and Dex Stats. Pick as many Combat Maneuvers as you can that are NOT gonna have there damage meaningfully affected by the initiators size! Take Unarmed or Arcane Variant Swordsage (If the latter, take Improved Unarmed strike.)

Now, make sure you put at least one rank in as many different skills as possible, with an eye toward having 1 or more ranks in all skills, and craft custom magic items too do the following.

Give you Int or Dex too all of these skills.
Give you a spiffy Circumstance Bonus too the skill.

Once you've got it worked out, craft a swarm of 100 Fine animated Objects, making sure to set them up to Aid Another on demand, and too have at minimum enough of a bonus too hit to be able to pull off that aid another check on an attack roll. Now here's were exemplar comes in, you use that to give this whole swarm a +9 too all skills, and then have them all take aid another on all skill checks you make. They make the check, you get a god like bonus to the check your making which basically makes failure impossible on all skill checks!

From here, Set up the Wight Trick as a custom magic item, and another to do a money hack, and go to town with unlimited crafting that only really costs you the time.

Now, you've got badass Melee,
Badass Item Crafting, and all that goes with it. (Orb of Wands are great with a high to hit for making sure you deal a lot of range damage. Consider the duel wands feats and Reserves of Strength to really make this one fly!)
and Unbeatable skill botting.

Good trick once you've got that, custom slotless magic items that make all checks depend on either Dex or Int, or both.

hex0
2011-08-27, 09:46 PM
Play a Drider. They get one caster level per hit die of wizard, sorcerer or cleric. (six levels). Like the last build I presented...I suggest Barbarian for gestalt. d12 die, full BAB, four skills per level...works well with the aberration hit die that has will saves. Also, the Drider has a decent bite attack that is based on CON. So...DC increases in a rage. Take some transmutation spells, get big, rage and bite people.

Rage mage?