PDA

View Full Version : How viable is the tactic?

LaughingRogue
2011-08-25, 08:06 PM
One of my players likes to cast obscuring mist in an area with mindless creatures and then casting ghost sounds on to trick mindless creatures into going to the sound and essentially wasting its action while hiding inside the mist.

How viable do you think the the action is, and as a DM how would you determine what your mindless creatures reactions are?

BlackestOfMages
2011-08-25, 08:10 PM
well, tbh, it's a valid tactic if your only facing unled mindless creatures, as about half of them would split off to follow the other sounds, whilst the other half would walk towards the chanting.

now, why your PC's are encountering unled mindles creatures that rely on sigh/hearing to find things is the better question :) just add in an x necromancer next time if their undead and see the result. and gelatonous cubes wouldn;t be effected by these tricks to begin with, so that'd work too.

tbh, it's nice to see a magical PC using their brain as opposed to blasting everything in front of them, so I say they deserve roleplay exp

erikun
2011-08-25, 08:13 PM
If a mindless creature sees an opponent run into mist (or create mist) then they'll attempt to run forward until they catch them. Ghost Sound could distract and redirect them, but I would assume that a mindless creature would continue moving forward during its turn until it finds its opponent or runs out of actions; it could very easily just walk out the other side of the mist.

Beyond that, using Ghost Sound to trick a mindless opponent to go in another direction is a creative and valid use of the spell. Just remember that you make sound when casting it, as well, so they may be attracted to the "wrong" sound.

LaughingRogue
2011-08-25, 08:13 PM
well, tbh, it's a valid tactic if your only facing unled mindless creatures, as about half of them would split off to follow the other sounds, whilst the other half would walk towards the chanting.

now, why your PC's are encountering unled mindles creatures that rely on sigh/hearing to find things is the better question :) just add in an x necromancer next time if their undead and see the result. and gelatonous cubes wouldn;t be effected by these tricks to begin with, so that'd work too.

tbh, it's nice to see a magical PC using their brain as opposed to blasting everything in front of them, so I say they deserve roleplay exp

Currently the game is at a very low level and i'm not really concerned about the tactic, frankly I like the tactic and was curious about what the playground thought.

If a mindless creature sees an opponent run into mist (or create mist) then they'll attempt to run forward until they catch them. Ghost Sound could distract and redirect them, but I would assume that a mindless creature would continue moving forward during its turn until it finds its opponent or runs out of actions; it could very easily just walk out the other side of the mist.

Beyond that, using Ghost Sound to trick a mindless opponent to go in another direction is a creative and valid use of the spell. Just remember that you make sound when casting it, as well, so they may be attracted to the "wrong" sound.

Of course, I tend to use a percentage roll to figure out what sound they are attracted to.

Elboxo
2011-08-26, 01:03 AM
Currently the game is at a very low level and i'm not really concerned about the tactic, frankly I like the tactic and was curious about what the playground thought.

Of course, I tend to use a percentage roll to figure out what sound they are attracted to.

maybe percentage roll could be increased in favour of ghost sound depending on how loud it is? 20 men worth of sound is rather loud

Saintheart
2011-08-26, 03:52 AM
Unless he's being a bit of a tool and using it every fight, have you considered a small XP reward for what is a very nice and outside-the-box tactic? :smallsmile: