PDA

View Full Version : Place this race?

Safety Sword
2011-08-25, 09:21 PM
Greetings Playground,
I'm looking for a race that has the following features:

Bonus Feat at 1st Level
Darkvision
Medium Sized (preferred but not essential)
Trying for LA +0 if at all possible.

Please state source also.

Thanks in advance,

Dekion
2011-08-25, 10:12 PM
Are you looking for a specific bonus feat? That may help. Trying to find an out-of-the-box race with a "free to select" bonus feat, darkvision, and a +0 LA is difficult.

hivedragon
2011-08-25, 10:16 PM
dwarf raised by humans

BIGMamaSloth
2011-08-25, 10:23 PM
IIRC silverbrow human has either darkvision or low light vision but honestly why don't you just play a human and then find a magic item that gives you darkvision? I mean there has to be one of those.

Serpentine
2011-08-25, 10:26 PM
Human with a template?

Safety Sword
2011-08-25, 10:39 PM
Darkvision magic item at Level 1 is rather unlikely.

If the bonus feat gained was useful to archery then it could be a specific one.

The character I'm looking to build is also a skill monkey, so the loss of bonus skill points could hurt a little if I go Silverbrow Human.

Not sure if "dwarf raised by humans" will be acceptable to the DM. It's one of those "best of both worlds" solutions that is frowned upon.

The-Mage-King
2011-08-25, 10:40 PM
Human with one level in Warlock? You get darkvision+ if you pick Devil's Sight as your invocation...

IthroZada
2011-08-25, 10:45 PM
The character I'm looking to build is also a skill monkey, so the loss of bonus skill points could hurt a little if I go Silverbrow Human.

So you want the skill bonuses, the feat, and darkvision? That's the standard human abilities, plus some more. Realistically, you should not be able to find something like this without a template or level adjustment.

HunterOfJello
2011-08-25, 10:52 PM
a Mineral Warrior Human is probably your best bet for a melee character with Darkvision and a bonus feat at LA +1

if you want fewer penalties, but fewer bonuses then you could play a Draconic Human

Safety Sword
2011-08-25, 11:02 PM
So you want the skill bonuses, the feat, and darkvision? That's the standard human abilities, plus some more. Realistically, you should not be able to find something like this without a template or level adjustment.

I said the loss of bonus skills would hurt, but it's probably not a deal breaker. I can't however see how that confers Darkvision either, which really is a deal breaker. Maybe I've missed something?

Urpriest
2011-08-25, 11:06 PM
Unseelie Fey Human can fit the bill, provided you interpret it as LA +0.

Safety Sword
2011-08-25, 11:16 PM

And where do I find out about this? Sounds... irregular :)

BIGMamaSloth
2011-08-25, 11:17 PM

wait,what? Unseelie fey as in the one from dragon mag? I never actually checked the LA on that but it's kind of broken if it ha no LA. I mean it can give you flight and (albeit weak) spell like abilities can't it? :smallconfused: Is this some cheesy trick or jut wizards doing what they do best? (read: horrible balance issues)

Urpriest
2011-08-25, 11:19 PM
And where do I find out about this? Sounds... irregular :)

Dragon Compendium. While the template description doesn't say anything about it's LA, the example creature is a LA +0 Unseelie Fey Gnome. Use at your own risk, at LA +0 it's quite powerful.

sreservoir
2011-08-25, 11:20 PM
it's kind of weird, too. you roll a bunch of stuff, and it's even possible to end up without eyes.

Safety Sword
2011-08-25, 11:21 PM
Dragon Compendium. While the template description doesn't say anything about it's LA, the example creature is a LA +0 Unseelie Fey Gnome. Use at your own risk, at LA +0 it's quite powerful.

Sounds like a DM approval job in any case.

Keep 'em coming if you can think of any others, happy to do more research for this character.

Serpentine
2011-08-25, 11:46 PM
I couldn't find any templates that give Darkvision without a level adjustment. Several with only a +1 LA, though.
Underfolk, from Races of the Dragon I think, have the Darkvision and extra skill points but not the feat. You could possibly negotiate with your DM to swap the extra stuff (natural armour, camouflage, etc) for the feat.

Thurbane
2011-08-26, 01:52 AM
Well, not exactly what the OP asked for, but the Bind Vestige feat will allow you to bind Amon and get Darkvision. Use this on a human with a flaw, and you get pretty much what you're looking for.

Vizzerdrix
2011-08-26, 02:15 AM
Dark Human Effigy incarnate construct?

Darrin
2011-08-26, 05:40 AM
Azurin Totemist 1 with Basilisk Mask shaped and 1 essentia invested has darkvision 30'. (Magic of Incarnum)

Frostblood Orc/Half-Orc has darkvision and Endurance as a bonus feat. If you gain Endurance some other way (such as Ranger 3), you can get any other bonus feat you qualify for instead. (Follow this up with Dragonborn of Bahumat and you lose Endurance but keep the bonus feat... and you can pick up dragon tail/wings to boot.)

Feytalist
2011-08-26, 06:45 AM
Human then changed to Dragonborn with the Sight ability. Keeps the feat and starting human skill points, and gains Darkvision slightly later on.

At least, that's how I think it works...

Edit: Wait, I'm an idiot. Humans lose the feat.

sreservoir
2011-08-26, 09:37 AM
Dark Human Effigy incarnate construct?

LA -, unplayable.

Greenish
2011-08-26, 10:05 AM
wait,what? Unseelie fey as in the one from dragon mag? I never actually checked the LA on that but it's kind of broken if it ha no LA. I mean it can give you flight and (albeit weak) spell like abilities can't it? :smallconfused: Is this some cheesy trick or jut wizards doing what they do best? (read: horrible balance issues)Dragon Magazines, while official D&D content, weren't published by WotC, so it's hardly fair to blame them (for that, there are plenty of things you can blame them for).

CTrees
2011-08-26, 10:33 AM
Human with a +1LA template granting darkvision and some other -1LA template (like Pathfinder's Young)? Unfortunately loses you medium size.

Human w/ a template, then buyback the LA later?

Really, you want a bunch of nice things, for free. :smallconfused: So yeah.

Safety Sword
2011-08-29, 08:33 PM
Really, you want a bunch of nice things, for free. :smallconfused: So yeah.

Well, what I want is a human that can see in the dark. I just would like to be able to do that at Level 1 rather than waiting to buy Goggles of Night (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#gogglesofNight) and stumbling around in the dark for many levels or getting my party ambushed because everyone can see us glowing in the dark with light spells :smallbiggrin:

Being the party scout it would be nice to be able to... well... see stuff. Might have to bite the bullet and just go dwarf and screw up my carefully planned feat progression for this character... plus short.

Chess435
2011-08-29, 09:10 PM
Holy quadruple posting, batman!

Back on topic, can't you play a Dwarf and just pick up the bonus feat via Flaw (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) instead? It'd get you everything you're looking for......

Rossebay
2011-08-29, 09:20 PM
Check Underfolk. No Bonus feat, but Darkvision 60' and the extra skill point.
Then, take the Nightsighted Trait from Unearthed Arcana. I think that gets you Darkvision 70'.
Finally, play a Bonus Feat Rogue (loses Sneak Attack, gains feats as a fighter would) for massive skill points, and a big 'ol boost to hide checks when you're hiding with rocks.

Races of Destiny (Underfolk)
Unearthed Arcana (Bonus Feat Rogue, Nightsighted Trait)
Also, for more feats I suggest flaws, also in Unearthed Arcana.

Safety Sword
2011-08-29, 11:11 PM
Holy quadruple posting, batman!

Back on topic, can't you play a Dwarf and just pick up the bonus feat via Flaw (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/buildingCharacters/characterFlaws.htm) instead? It'd get you everything you're looking for......

Apparently an internal server 500 error still actually posts your message...

Fixed now.

Flaws aren't in play unfortunately. I'm just going to go with dwarf and rearrange my feats.